Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best MMORPG off all time is?

Comments

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Dark Age of Camelot was by far the best thats been made. Until something better comes along it will always be #1.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53
    Everquest for me

• krazedonekrazedone Member Posts: 5
    SWG for me, hell I'm playing SWGEMU.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    It's a simple one for me SWG Pre NGE. After that its a close call between EQ, Wow up to BC, UO in that order.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Mine.

( I haven't played ever game out there, so I don't feel qualified to judge them all; however the game in my imagination can be and remain forever perfect in every way so long as I just dream about it and never try to make it a reality )

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

SWG -Pre-cu- Bloodfin Server. Haven't seen anything close to it since.

Not a case of first MMO either, DAOC was my first.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    No such animal. I cannot believe how many people are fooling themselves...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176
    For me: World of Warcraft
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    S..................................W.......................................G! 
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Since I haven't played anywhere near enough of them to be subjective, I'll pass. 

I will say that most of us would probably say our first MMO.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    No such animal. I cannot believe how many people are fooling themselves...
    To be fair, fooling ourselves is an essential part of our hobby.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Excluding games I just haven't played enough to know for sure (SWG/UO/DAoC):

Somewhere between EVE and Vanilla WoW for me.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

SWG pre-CU

Full of wonders, great PvP, incredible crafting and resource gathering, alpha-class amazingly difficult to obtain, bounty hunting, no levels, mix-and-match professions, non-combat professions...

Not one MMORPG before or after that could hold its candle.

Even a realistic graphical engine that looks good after 10 years.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by sancher36

WOW was the most successful mmo of all time but I wouldn't say in my opinion it was the best.

The games I loved 

1. age of conan 

Get past the bugs it was a great game overall but very taxing on low end machines

2. Warhammer online

Pity it was the development decisions that destroyed that game 

3. Tabula Rasa

This game had massive potential but too many bugs went unfixed and too many promises not fulfilled.

4. SWTOR

Before this game went F2P it was a great game. Now with f2p its the most restrictive model I have ever seen in an mmo

5. Rift

was good but too much like wow 

6. The secret world

Still enjoying this game and funcom has resurrected my faith in them 

are you sure you weren't responding to the WORST MMOs of all time? The only game I didnt experience was Tabula Rasa but since it was cancelled so soon it cant be THAT great. All the rest had HUGE developmental flaws from Dev laziness to a direct copy of wow.. but in space >.<

Not many other games even worth a mention except for maybe Eve Online :)

Now please tell me at least one mmo released that didn't have a flaw in some way??

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    First Everquest.  Then WoW.  No other games can match the legacy of these two.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

idk about the best but heres a top 4 :)

WOW

GW1

GW2

TSW

Of course only I'm choosing from MMO's I have played extensively.

I didn't see GW1 mentioned here but it is a hell of a game, like GW2 its different from the other 99% but awesome.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Bookah

WOW

GW1

GW2

TSW

I didn't see GW1 mentioned here but it is a hell of a game, like GW2 its different from the other 99% but awesome.

i was never a guildwars fan but I did give it a fair go before I quit. 

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Close call between DAOC and UO.  I still play both on "other" servers.  But I'd say DAOC.

But to the OP,  SWG would actually sit in third for me.  Mainly because of the whole crafting/housing/harvesting system.  No game touches it by a long shot, and I'm really disappointed that no one has copied their style of resources being randomly spawned and needing to be sought out through surveying/harvesting in real time.  Not to mention, the housing effing rocked.  I spent at least a good month of gameplay throughout all my years of playing it just decorating my guild hall.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    The best MMORPG of all time has yet to be made.

Agreed, but maybe I'm just too dam fussy!

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by sancher36
    Originally posted by Bookah

WOW

GW1

GW2

TSW

i was never a guildwars fan but I did give it a fair go before I quit. 

GW2 would be, if the 1% of the impossible to solo high level pve content was soloable, just so I could get map completion (not interested in soloing champs). I find it hard to find others to help at times that I am online!

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

1) UO was, in my mind.

2) SWG is next, and would have been the best had they not had levels (and power gaps) for gear that was just like every other themepark.

Once upon a time....

• Tsar_BombaTsar_Bomba Member Posts: 11

The one that was the most broken so the players could exploit it and feel powerful over other players...

SWG.

How else do you judge a game other than by how much you were 'pwning'?

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    The best in my opinion was Faxion online, for the 3 or so months it ran for until the plug was pulled were the most fun I've had in an mmo, community and devs were great and the game had potential. Still looking for a replacement, hopefully some of the up and coming mmos will do that.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

This is a hard question for me to answer.  Frankly, I can't rightly say I have ever enjoyed playing an MMO, but I have very much so been enthusiastic about what it could have been.

1.  SWG - For all of its faults and weaknesses, I would have to say that this game would be the best of all time thus far (PreCU/PreNGE.)  Yeah I know... it crashed and burned very hard.  But... the greatness of the design of that game was written all over the wall.  It was simply way ahead of its time.  I think one day we will actually get a game that takes the base blueprints of SWG, modernizes it where it needs it, and improves on everything it did wrong.  When that game comes... then we will have the best MMO of all time.

Personal Favorites:

2.  City of Heroes - This game was good fun if you could manage to actually Role Play it with a group of friends.  It has a good character build mechanic, outstanding character editor, and fun gameplay.  The only thing it really lacked was the idea of the bigger MMO picture.  There really wasn't anything to do but to do missions.  To me, MMO's need a lot of activities and things to do for one reason or another.  This game at the time suffered from being strictly a Themepark in a Sandbox market.

3.  APB Reloaded - I might get laughed at for this one, but I don't care.  If there was ever a game that had as much potential as SWG to be amazing, it's this one.  To this day, it is still the only MMO I have ever stuck with for more than 3 months.  It has its faults and problems for sure.  But it has some really awesome highpoints if you just stick with it long enough to become proficient.  It's kind of a lost cause at the moment as the development budget and team is so small, it's ridiculous.  Still, its free to play and its worth the play.  Throwing a few bucks into the item shop here and there can go a long way too.  I think this game and more like it will see a renaissance once GTA Online goes live.  If that game ever comes to the PC... you'll understand why.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    For me Mabinogi.  I could compose music and share it with the world.  Can't get better than that but yet it did.  Everyone I knew in real life saw me play so they joined and then their friends joined.  Why not, it was free?  I think I drug half my city into that silly game before I finally left.