Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your test... Go slay squirrels!

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by nilden
    I would put up with a lot more than busy work starter quests to have no cash shop.

This

It doesn't even have to be all that great. Just playable.

Hell, I enjoyed Rift enough to stay subbed through most of it's Vanilla period.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    It does get better at lvl 15 when the dungeons open up.  Also depending on the class you pick the final starter quest can be difficult to pass, lots of complaints about it in the last beta.  Unfortunately the devs have stated the starter areas are designed for people who are new to MMO's.  If you are experienced MMO player the starter areas will appear a bit simplistic and dull.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Tygranir

It's the same MMO again. Seriously.

Just like WoW:

Look! I'm in Elwynn forest... killing boars

Woot! Made it to Hellfire peninsula... and I'm Killing boars....

You sound like a guy who purchased a six pack of Coke and upon opening the sixth bottle you are amazingly shocked that the bottle has coke in it and you don't do a thing to challenge your expectations about it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Already refunded my pre order, absolutely laughable.

Don't need your type in the game...so good for you.  The rest of us will enjoy the game.

this is exactly 100% what we heard during last launch...

Yea. I got burned on 1.0. That was THE worst game I've every played. Truly... But I've heard good things this time around. Guess We'll see in about 20 min.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Judging a open beta with a level 20 cap as fail is a sad type of joke. This is like saying WoW is a bad MMO because at level 8 you are killing boars. Or EQ1 was a bad game because you killed rats at level 1. The learning curve is fast in this game. Give it a month of play and you will see its worth it.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Judging a open beta with a level 20 cap as fail is a sad type of joke. This is like saying WoW is a bad MMO because at level 8 you are killing boars. Or EQ1 was a bad game because you killed rats at level 1. The learning curve is fast in this game. Give it a month of play and you will see its worth it.

Without it you don't get to experience this:   http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=25

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by Strayfe
    [mod edit]

I'm no fan of GW2, but no... doesn't compare. If they had you running around capturing ladybugs and stealing squirrels stash or something... OK.  But in FFXIV you are literally killing squirrels and Ladybugs.  LADYBUGS.

Dude, those ladybugs are bigger than your head.

If I saw a ladybug that size, I would be running like a sissy in need of some new trousers.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

I'm in the open beta, make my character and hit the opening town. My first mission, discover several places around town. Ok, after several scenes that seem to tug at my FFVII strings like the stained glass combined with music, I move my merry behind toward the archers guild. Is this seriously what the quests are like in this game? Does it get better?

Dialogue of missions? Summarized....

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild." Yes...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild." Continue...

"You may become a member of the archers guild." Cool, continue... complete quest.

Oh, she starts another quest....

"You may become a member of the archers guild." Cool, continue...

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild?" Yes, click accept...

Yay, a member.. complete quest. Oh, the lady behind her has a quest...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild!" Huh? but but, she just...

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild?" sigh, OK, yes.

"You must follow the way of the archer." OK, I already told the other lady I did.

"Do you wish to follow the way of the archer?" Click yes, cool I'm a member...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild!" WTF!

"You must pass a test that will challenge you and make you a member, are you ready to prove yourself?"

Cool, finally some action. YES!

"Good, go slay squirrels!"

Do you realize that not everyone starts a game or any game as an expert? Perhaps the reason the Squirrels are there is to ease those who are not as advanced in the concepts of MMOs as you may be into the fundamentals of the game. :)

NEW players may not be sick and tired of "Go kill 10 whatever". Maybe it is their first time.

There is nothing wrong with any current or future MMO to introduce all the stuff that may be repetative to some, but perhaps may be a great introduction to those who find their first steps in this genre somewhat confusing.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Ivylena
    stuff I wrote earlier--

Do you realize that not everyone starts a game or any game as an expert? Perhaps the reason the Squirrels are there is to ease those who are not as advanced in the concepts of MMOs as you may be into the fundamentals of the game. :)

NEW players may not be sick and tired of "Go kill 10 whatever". Maybe it is their first time.

There is nothing wrong with any current or future MMO to introduce all the stuff that may be repetative to some, but perhaps may be a great introduction to those who find their first steps in this genre somewhat confusing.

A swing and a miss...

The fact that you have to kill squirrels is not the problem. My post was mentioning how many loops the player had to jump through to become a member of their guild. It was awfully painful for me. I can only imagine how a newer MMO player might feel a bit frustrated by the time they receive their first 'real' quest.

Anyway, sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier, I've been playing my game. Still unsure about it, but hey, at least I have an open mind and haven't compared it to other games. Seems many of the posters so far can't resist that, good and bad.

/le sigh

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

The fact that you have to kill squirrels is not the problem. My post was mentioning how many loops the player had to jump through to become a member of their guild. It was awfully painful for me. I can only imagine how a newer MMO player might feel a bit frustrated by the time they receive their first 'real' quest.

Anyway, sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier, I've been playing my game. Still unsure about it, but hey, at least I have an open mind and haven't compared it to other games. Seems many of the posters so far can't resist that, good and bad.

/le sigh

So,I am curious...

After all those hours you played, do the NPCs consider you "an archer" yet? image

Originally posted by Jagarid

So,I am curious...

After all those hours you played, do the NPCs consider you "an archer" yet? image

I'll get back to you on that :P

• Sith2112Sith2112 Member UncommonPosts: 43

I played in the closed beta myself. I could handle the squirrel and lady bug killing.. Once i got some new gloves - which actually looked like oven mits and the thong for my pants armor. That pretty much made me loose interest. This game has a market for some but I just cant run around in a thong wearing oven mittens and the seinfeld puffy shirt as armor.

I'm sure those who enjoy this game, will have fun. Just not my cup of tea.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

^ I use the armory system as a makeshift appearance tab, but, yeah, some of the designs are awful, haha

It's a fairly standard style themepark MMO with a few twists, and it doesn't hide that. In fact, it's closer to Vanilla WoW with GW2 elements than most modern themepark games in that it gives you zounds of not-very-cool quests instead of giving you a rigid linear storyline (although FFXIV does apparently also have that). Quests are not "the point" of an MMO so I have a strong preference towards the non-linear playstyle, and this attracts me to the game. I don't have to do everything, and there are many different ways to level, from grinding to quests to dungeons.

Also, I didn't have any issues becoming a guild member. I'm currently a lancer, botanist, and carpenter...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

Originally posted by Sith2112

I played in the closed beta myself. I could handle the squirrel and lady bug killing.. Once i got some new gloves - which actually looked like oven mits and the thong for my pants armor. That pretty much made me loose interest. This game has a market for some but I just cant run around in a thong wearing oven mittens and the seinfeld puffy shirt as armor.

I can't help but picture Darth Maul (your avatar) wearing oven mitts, a thong and a puffy pink shirt as armor. Am I the only one?

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

k , i got into the cbt a while back.

i logged in, i didn't have expectations. Character creation awesome, music awesome. Typical , weird finaly fantasy story start, get to big beautiful city. Nice, after about 20 minutes of in city quests im like geeze come on. I say to myself , "this is for people to get familiar with the game". I try hard to rough out the first hour of running around the city , finally realizing  the teleports, then shortly realizing the teleports still kinda suck.

I get my first quest to leave the city yay.

i leave the city gates to do some hunting. I expect to see a few mobs here and there. No, it's like a dev was on drugs and copy and pasted 100's of squirrels in packs and then pasted those 100's of squirrels all over the map. 

So i do the quest, take the time to go all the way back and turn it in, only to go out and kill lambs or bees with the same crackhead amount.

Not only that, the combat was just way to slow. 

I hear it gets better, and i really hope it does. I mean that sincerely, but i think i'll wait to see how the game unfolds before investing in it. Im starting to learn in my old age it's better to just wait. I'd like to see housing, crafting and the social aspects of the game before throwing my hard earned money at another game im just bored with after a month. 

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Demmi77

k , i got into the cbt a while back.

i logged in, i didn't have expectations. Character creation awesome, music awesome. Typical , weird finaly fantasy story start, get to big beautiful city. Nice, after about 20 minutes of in city quests im like geeze come on. I say to myself , "this is for people to get familiar with the game". I try hard to rough out the first hour of running around the city , finally realizing  the teleports, then shortly realizing the teleports still kinda suck.

I get my first quest to leave the city yay.

i leave the city gates to do some hunting. I expect to see a few mobs here and there. No, it's like a dev was on drugs and copy and pasted 100's of squirrels in packs and then pasted those 100's of squirrels all over the map. 

So i do the quest, take the time to go all the way back and turn it in, only to go out and kill lambs or bees with the same crackhead amount.

Not only that, the combat was just way to slow. 

I hear it gets better, and i really hope it does. I mean that sincerely, but i think i'll wait to see how the game unfolds before investing in it. Im starting to learn in my old age it's better to just wait. I'd like to see housing, crafting and the social aspects of the game before throwing my hard earned money at another game im just bored with after a month. 

This wierd mob placement is kind of a hallmark of asian mmo's (I am assuming this one is from Japan but the graphics look like they are more influenced from Eastern MMO's than Western...for good or bad depending on your preference), they have a certain non sequential flow in them that I often can not get around, TERRA is a beautiful game no doubt about it but the crazy sword sizes and mobs just plopped on the landscape without any real explanation for why they where they are is just odd,  just to give a reference in WoW starting areas the type of creatures are often, as least in some tiny tiny way, related to the environment....the kobolds in goldshire are in a mine and they are obviously mining...the gnolls are in the forest because they have a camp in the forest but for some reason Asian MMO's just see open space and dump mobs like crazy.

The outfits are often the same way, and if you ever watched a more light hearted anime no one questions outrageous gear even if the person wearing it is a 15 year old in an urban environment...I guess that just carries over (you would see it in jrpg's as well)

I am not saying it is bad by itself, and western MMO certainly get ridiculous gear at times (especially high tier armor no one seems to care that your shoulders have fireballs shooting out of them), but...it was never as disconcerting to me as a player as seeing some of the odd combinations that come out of Eastern MMO's

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

You guys realize this game isn't really a quest grinder right? What you guys are all bitching about are the training wheels. So stop bitching and take them off. There are multiple ways to level. You won't get them all the way through. They are introductory until you can learn the ropes.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by GlacianNex

Have you ever actually tried to kill a squirrel? It is a lot harder than it seems especailly if you are trying to get to them with a melee weapon. I mean by the time you will chase one down, and hit the damn thing it is quite a workout. Some chop wood, some kill squirrels... you know whatever works!

It's easier to cut the tree down and hope than chase the little hairy bastards around with a hammer.
  • ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Sith2112

Lol. Ya I've tried to give the game a fair shot, I just can't seem to maintain any interest. Not a bad game, per se, just not for me. 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Ivylena
    stuff I wrote earlier--

A swing and a miss...

/le sigh

I have to agree about the long winded quests. There really needs to be a quick option to skip the dialogue for those that really do not care. I tried reading the quests to start with, but to be perfectly honest its just not good compared to other games like Everquest 2, LOTRO and WoW. Spam clicking the mouse to get through every quest is getting tiring very quickly.  Also the 3 steps just to use an item on a quest mob, urgh why? I have the lamp polish, just polish the god damn lamp when I right click it, instead of opening up that stupid quest item box.

On a positive note however, Arcanist looks cool.

• TalinthisTalinthis Member UncommonPosts: 26
    be thankful they arent rats
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    And bring me..... a shrubbery!
    Originally posted by svann
    And bring me..... a shrubbery!

One that looks nice..... and not too expensive....

And when you have brought us a shrubbery, you must!! Cut down the largest tree in the forest... with... a herring!

If I say 'it' will they just give me the quest and send me on my merry way?

• FuuManChew35FuuManChew35 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Alberel

The low level content is mostly aimed at non-MMO gamers. Yes it is easy for experienced MMO players but that's pretty much the norm for the genre. Killing small, weak looking mobs at low-level is normal. If you were killing dragons and stuff at level 1 you would lose the sense of power progression you get through gaining levels as you would always be killing 'tough' mobs.

The 'kill x of y' quests also thin out as you get higher... and eventually you'll run out entirely and have to find alternative methods to level your other classes/jobs.

I really don't see the issue here. Any game that has tried to do this differently has done it worse...

Yes there we have it, our new MMO. Start out killing dragons and hydras and work our way to the top so we can raid kittens and puppies.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

it is all hyped and pumped up cause its new and its says final fantasy and meh can be meow and haz tailz!!1

this mmo unfortunately not bashing the final fantasy saga cause personally i liked the 7 and 8 but this has nothing to do with those i know. this wont last very long . people are just hyped cause its something new they can play until something else comes out.

i was on closed beta but honestly there was nothing to report or even suggest from my part cause to me whole game and its systems needed to be changed so i didnt even bother. so...neeeext.