Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best MMORPG off all time is?

Well to me it is 100% SWG (star wars galaxies Old shcool), sure it to have areas that cut be better, but all other it have everything. And i hope that the mmo develupment one day will create a mmo as swg, but more complet.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I don't agree...

Next topic pls:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Best was FFXI but the most popular was WOW.
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Hands down, FFXI. 
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Everybody knows the best MMORPG of all time is ....

Dark Age of Camelot

Reason? Im a competitive person, so during my course of playing the game there were other competitive people that stood out in their realms. On my server (Galahad) Midgard we feared Jazz Elf Enchanter from Hibernia and Woeful a thurgist from albion and when you saw their kill spam you know some serious $%!t was going down. Arcoss the realm you would see terms that would nomally ralate to NPC's like "Beware, Woeful is out!" or "OMG, Jazz incoming!".

Of course we had our own realm heroes like Quickshot and Valkryness and I would get a sense of pride when I heard stories of their victories. So you see, while playing Doac I strived to be the best and to make my name Legendary... known to both allies and enemies. Daoc gave me the best "feeling" playing a video game I ever had...

But again thats just me... just my opinion

Honorable Mention: SWG, Darkfall and Everquest

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    The best MMORPG of all time has yet to be made.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    The one you've been playing for more than a decade.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Since we're being totally subjective for me it is a tossup between EVE and DAOC.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    DAoC no doubt honorable mentions to UO and Earth and Beyond before the devs killed it by listening to the whiny JENPIE players!
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    As far as I'm concerned, it's Ultima Online. Over fifteen years, and I'm still enjoying its classic release.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• XforsakerXXforsakerX Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by General-Zod

Everybody knows the best MMORPG of all time is ....

Dark Age of Camelot

Reason? Im a competitive person, so during my course of playing the game there were other competitive people that stood out in their realms. On my server (Galahad) Midgard we feared Jazz Elf Enchanter from Hibernia and Woeful a thurgist from albion and when you saw their kill spam you know some serious $%!t was going down. Arcoss the realm you would see terms that would nomally ralate to NPC's like "Beware, Woeful is out!" or "OMG, Jazz incoming!".

Of course we had our own realm heroes like Quickshot and Valkryness and I would get a sense of pride when I heard stories of their victories. So you see, while playing Doac I strived to be the best and to make my name Legendary... known to both allies and enemies. Daoc gave me the best "feeling" playing a video game I ever had...

But again thats just me... just my opinion

Honorable Mention: SWG, Darkfall and Everquest

Agreed with this guy, Dark Age of Camelot was Amazing, as well as Everquest played them both for 4+ years appeace

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    6142MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Antec Gaming Phenom
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

For me, EverQuest.

No point arguing if it's better than any other MMO, since each person has their own opinion and experience of any MMO.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Everquest.  I spent the most time there, had the most fun and made the most friends.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ArzhAngel

Well to me it is 100% SWG (star wars galaxies Old shcool), sure it to have areas that cut be better, but all other it have everything. And i hope that the mmo develupment one day will create a mmo as swg, but more complet.

What do you guys think?

I can't really say that, because time is changing. The best game for a certain time might not be the best today.

But one bet is Meridian 59 from 1996, since so many features it invented still is around. First MMO with trinity combat, rat killing quests, cooldowns and so much else many MMO players take for granted today. And it was the first one, 1 1/2 year before UO.

Then again, even if they added modern graphics I wouldn't play it today. 

I can't really base my judgment on what I liked or like because that is really just like saying "the best song ever",everyone have their favorite. So I base it on what game that invented most things still around instead.

Besides, can't really trust my memory when I am nostalgic about something, I tend to forget the bad things and remember the good.

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    I really loved UO and WAR
  • twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Nothing comes close to EQ ! UO was more great when looking back, but EQ is was amazing back then and nothing comes even close to the classes, the graphic, the raids, the addiction etc :)
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Obviously the best MMORPG of all time is GW2 because it sold the fastest.

We all know that how fast a company sells boxes dictates how good the game is.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by stayBlind

Obviously the best MMORPG of all time is GW2 because it sold the fastest.

We all know that how fast a company sells boxes dictates how good the game is.

No .. WoW sold expansions way faster. So WOW expansions are the best MMORPGs.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Loke666

I can't really say that, because time is changing. The best game for a certain time might not be the best today.

But one bet is Meridian 59 from 1996, since so many features it invented still is around. First MMO with trinity combat, rat killing quests, cooldowns and so much else many MMO players take for granted today. And it was the first one, 1 1/2 year before UO.

If UO had been like it was in its classic days, I would still be playing it on and off. I have gone back to UO emulators several times, and I am sure I will again.

I believe 2D graphics don't age the same way as 3D graphics (at least the first generations) does, and that is part of the answer. Another is, that UO is one of the best games ever made.

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Rasputin
    Originally posted by Loke666

If UO had been like it was in its classic days, I would still be playing it on and off. I have gone back to UO emulators several times, and I am sure I will again.

I believe 2D graphics don't age the same way as 3D graphics (at least the first generations) does, and that is part of the answer. Another is, that UO is one of the best games ever made.

You should check out Albion Online! It would probably interest you! It's on alpha now, and from what I've read and seen, it seems like it will be better than UO or at least I hope! Some of the features are pretty awesome!

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

As much as I dislike WOW,  I would have to consider it the best MMORPG of all time based on it's continued success and popularity with the masses. Sure, it's a shoddy rip off of EQ but they cloned it better than the original and no one has been able to approach it for dollars made and pop culture geek status.  EVE would be a runner up based on success and popularity, a game that managed to create a niche for itself by creating the first spread sheet PVP simulator on the market.  Neither of those is a personal favorite.  I simply don't have one. I find the market full of some kind of fun games with no real must play standout. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Rasputin

Nah .. if UO is like its beta/release days with PK rampant, tank-mage, clicking on rocks again and again, i wouldn't play it again if it is updated with modern graphics, and they pay me money.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

The best MMO of all time is....

That one!  Over there!

You know, the one you remember back to fondly and judge all other games after it against. Or, if you still play 'that game' that makes it even better.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

WOW was the most successful mmo of all time but I wouldn't say in my opinion it was the best.

The games I loved 

1. age of conan 

Get past the bugs it was a great game overall but very taxing on low end machines

2. Warhammer online

Pity it was the development decisions that destroyed that game 

3. Tabula Rasa

This game had massive potential but too many bugs went unfixed and too many promises not fulfilled.

4. SWTOR

Before this game went F2P it was a great game. Now with f2p its the most restrictive model I have ever seen in an mmo

5. Rift

was good but too much like wow 

6. The secret world

Still enjoying this game and funcom has resurrected my faith in them 

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    The best MMORPG of all time has yet to be made.

exactly!

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by sancher36

WOW was the most successful mmo of all time but I wouldn't say in my opinion it was the best.

The games I loved 

1. age of conan 

Get past the bugs it was a great game overall but very taxing on low end machines

2. Warhammer online

Pity it was the development decisions that destroyed that game 

3. Tabula Rasa

This game had massive potential but too many bugs went unfixed and too many promises not fulfilled.

4. SWTOR

Before this game went F2P it was a great game. Now with f2p its the most restrictive model I have ever seen in an mmo

5. Rift

was good but too much like wow 

6. The secret world

Still enjoying this game and funcom has resurrected my faith in them 

are you sure you weren't responding to the WORST MMOs of all time? The only game I didnt experience was Tabula Rasa but since it was cancelled so soon it cant be THAT great. All the rest had HUGE developmental flaws from Dev laziness to a direct copy of wow.. but in space >.<