Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest problem for developers? Rabid fans.

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

So, you think your four page missive concerning the change to the supplemental abilities of your favorite character is helping things? Think again.

It's bad enough they they are thinking creating a support group for the developers that have to deal with the rabid fans.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Very good read. Lots of terrific quotes.

"I feel like how we've progressed over the years and decades, I feel like it's more and more normative to be cruel and then be JK, LOL, not really a big deal, even though we know that words wound," he said. "I think we're seeing a desensitization when it comes to acceptability and conduct, whether it's online conduct or even offline conduct, whether it's verbal or textual or the things we post to embarrass other people. We can try to cover our tracks or say we were just messing around, but the damage is done. That's why we have kids killing themselves based on what's been posted and sent and shared."

-or-

"It's important to listen to fans about what's important to them, but it's equally important to listen to people who are not currently gamers about why they aren't playing. Hardcore gamers want a product that is made specifically for them and is actively unfriendly to anyone new. They will beg and bully to get this product and then praise and wax nostalgic over any game that lives up to their standards even if the company that made it went bankrupt. They don't care about keeping companies in business or artists employed. Their only job as fans is to say what pleases them, and it would be foolish to expect them to think beyond that. But to cater to those desires without thinking about how to bring new audiences in and make them comfortable will ultimately result in a stagnant and money-losing industry.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's one of the reasons why I never understand why people go so insane here on some topics like pvp. If devs actually listen to "fans" instead of making the game the way they want it to be...who then is accountable for how it turns out ? It's not going to be the fan and investors aren't going to be ok with " they told us to do it this way " 

People are idiots when it comes to what they want. They'll tell you all day long that they don't want something then end up doing it all day long if it's implemented in a different way than they're used to.

Forums are one of the worst places to get feedback about a game.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Im so fed up with todays community and how games are developed these days im only playing solo games or semi multiplayer co-op.

It will never go back to the lol or lmao era, it stays in the no patience instant demanding cursing-swearing insult generation YOUNG and OLD.

Yes you all hear know what im saying here OLD have adept to same vocubulary as youth, not all but most.

Experience on several vent/TS and ingame.

Good luck and have fun with them im back to skyrim/dayz/dishonered/bioshock.

PS on site note people these days also dont play mmo anymore before explore all the wiki or walkthrough sides and get that edge or prolly can't think for themselfs anymore lol what a joke gamers these days are, its sad how they have evolved over the years.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• TheKrautTheKraut Member Posts: 48
    They dumb down their games so much as to cater to the lowest common denominator en masse; what were they expecting to see?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by TheKraut
    They dumb down their games so much as to cater to the lowest common denominator en masse; what were they expecting to see?

Probably some responses like this. At the same time, the number of these responses is dwindling over time, which explains why they wouldn't cater to people who want the harder or more niche games.

Lol. I thought this was the other thread I posted a link to. I'm the OP! Woot!

• osiotlvourblosiotlvourbl Member Posts: 2
    Game developers are turning into celebrities and with that comes rabid fans. It's all about damage control at that point.
  • flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by DamonVile

It's one of the reasons why I never understand why people go so insane here on some topics like pvp. If devs actually listen to "fans" instead of making the game the way they want it to be...who then is accountable for how it turns out ? It's not going to be the fan and investors aren't going to be ok with " they told us to do it this way " 

People are idiots when it comes to what they want. They'll tell you all day long that they don't want something then end up doing it all day long if it's implemented in a different way than they're used to.

Forums are one of the worst places to get feedback about a game.

this is why i feel so sorry for Carbine with WildStar.

the game began 8 years ago when it was logical to try and clone up wow, and they took the time to try and ensure quality. problem being, now the genre has moved on from that. no matter the hate you hear for certain other games...ignore that part. just look at how Wow itself, how EQ2, how RIFT, how SWTOR and every other standard themepark raid roller coaster tank/healz MMO is trending. every single one.

So carbine goes and polls the community shoudl they remove the trinity, big NO from the vocal minority who are fresh from hating a game that is more successful than WildStar will be, whose players for the most have stuck with it longer than they are going to stick with WildStar. So they do that, they go ahead with the sub as it was what their spending and planning was based on and most of the vocals are saying they want a sub game, but watch most of the fire breathing forum fans won't pay it after a few months, and even if all of them do it is nowhere near enough to hold them over vs serving up something that would have pleased the modern MMO player too.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Over a game. I don't know anymore.. W.T.F.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    I love "catering to" arguments; essentially sour grapes from the minority positions.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Is it them, though, or is the hardcore/niche/nostalgia type gamer at fault, too. Think about the crowd here for a moment. This forum is hostile to developers. Does a day go by that someone isn't claiming devs are lazy and greedy? How often do posters here write scathing and insulting commentary about various devs that they don't know anything about however they were somehow slighted by a game that dev made. How often are there posters adamantly insisting that certain devs should be fired because of one (realistically) trivial thing or another?

How many times has a dev come here to interact with this crowd only to be met by unwarranted, rude and insulting posts?

I know... they're celebs so they should learn to handle it, right?

This forum is reliably and consistently hostile to developers. No group is innocent of the deplorable behaviour that gamers display. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• telldonnytelldonny Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Is it them, though, or is the hardcore/niche/nostalgia type gamer at fault, too. Think about the crowd here for a moment. This forum is hostile to developers. Does a day go by that someone isn't claiming devs are lazy and greedy? How often do posters here write scathing and insulting commentary about various devs that they don't know anything about however they were somehow slighted by a game that dev made. How often are there posters adamantly insisting that certain devs should be fired because of one (realistically) trivial thing or another?

How many times has a dev come here to interact with this crowd only to be met by unwarranted, rude and insulting posts?

I know... they're celebs so they should learn to handle it, right?

This forum is reliably and consistently hostile to developers. No group is innocent of the deplorable behaviour that gamers display. 

I find that a lot of the people who are that offensive are the hardcore/niche/nostalgia type of player, bec they value the game/work so much that it takes precedent over other people. Can be tied to the anti-n00b culture. They're not good enough to play the game? Get out n00b! sort of setting. 

I'm actually still being polite in comparison to the real thing. Even currently reasonable people on the forums can't really be trusted not to blow a gasket when upset/angry over their game once pushed far enough.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

So this thread is implying that the people here at mmorpg.com forums are equal to those that are threatening the lives and the lives of the children of developers.

Really? Examples please, and how those equate to illegal activities such as death threats, which can and should be dealt with by law enforcement. That's how you stop it btw. Ask a cop, they not only deal with threats hourly, they can enforce laws. We cannot.

This site doesn't allow that anyway.

Are you also saying developers are innocent? I would beg to differ with very real reasons.

Is this post simply to assign blame, or to find solutions? Because if you were really concerned, you wouldn't disparage a community without specific examples, or proof. or what could be done./

Lastly, you forgot to include all of the praise we showered on devs of unique games. We've even disgusted people who commented in this thread with our fanboyism, while people not in the "group" are griefing Koster without the same implication. 

Im not defending anything, Im asking for clarification on what is being implied here, because at first glance it seems as disgusting as a threat. If you really do notice it here, and all you do is point at some generic group, then blame yourself there heroes.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"