Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your test... Go slay squirrels!

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Strayfe
    [mod edit]

im curious why you only make that emphasis on GW2. Do you thing the rest of the mmos made it better? because i havent seen one that made it better. Same type of content, just made better, more varied, and less boring.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Alberel

The low level content is mostly aimed at non-MMO gamers. Yes it is easy for experienced MMO players but that's pretty much the norm for the genre. Killing small, weak looking mobs at low-level is normal. If you were killing dragons and stuff at level 1 you would lose the sense of power progression you get through gaining levels as you would always be killing 'tough' mobs.

The 'kill x of y' quests also thin out as you get higher... and eventually you'll run out entirely and have to find alternative methods to level your other classes/jobs.

I really don't see the issue here. Any game that has tried to do this differently has done it worse...

Wait, what? you might have to go into a bit of detail there, I've seen plenty of starter areas that had more productive as well as exciting content.

Really? Give me some examples. In my experience every MMO either has an entirely instanced tutorial that is fun for the first hour or two then makes the rest of the game look rubbish by comparison, or they do it like this and gradually build up to better content.

I'm referring to the way tasks, dialogue and travel flow, pacing is everything in games, FFXIV is rather slow to stand in that department. As for examples, there are many, AOC, TOR, SWG, TSW, DAOC, GW1, WAR, etc... Each of those had better pacing, and more interesting things to suck you in on the initial run. YMMV

As the OP said it's the tedious delivery, that can be quite off putting. Although I do agree with another who said this is typical in JRPG's and it is to some extent.

The complaint here from the OP doesn't seem to be centered on the existence of questing, or tried and true mechanics, it's the build up to a "really?" moment. That's quite common in most of the starter quests I went through.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by rojo6934

im curious why you only make that emphasis on GW2. Do you thing the rest of the mmos made it better? because i havent seen one that made it better. Same type of content, just made better, more varied, and less boring.

Because GW2 always seems to be held up as the pinnacle of the genre which can do no wrong.  Since the OP was trying to paint the typical starting quests that are in every game in a negative light solely in FFXIV, as if they aren't in every other game, I pointed out that even the critically acclaimed, God-Emperor and Jesus Christ of MMORPGs has worse starting quests.

For the record, I'd rather kill something, anything, than pick apples and milk cows.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Finally! I made my journey to the squirrels and despite having to /dance in front of some woman who then called me weird, and she was right, I finally made it. Now I may be able to find one around these level 12 tree guys.

However, it is now a joke between my boys and I that in order to do anything or request anything, we must initiate an extended string of dialogue that circulates around the question and then randomly request that they do something completely off the wall.

Me: The dishes need doing...

But the dishes were done last night

Me: There are breakfast dishes...

We need to wash breakfast dishes?

Me: Yes, in order for the dishes to be done, we must wash them...

If we wash the dishes, will they then be done?

Me: Yes, in order for dishes to become cleaned, we must clean them! (Heroic pose)

But, the dishes were done after dinner

Me: It is now after the next meal, and we must.

But if we must wash dishes, there won't be any dirty ones left

Me: That is correct little padawan, in order to have clean dishes we must clean them

You are not yet a member of the kitchen guild!

Me: But, fine, let's go to the store and buy some chips

• R1zlaR1zla Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

Finally! I made my journey to the squirrels and despite having to /dance in front of some woman who then called me weird, and she was right, I finally made it. Now I may be able to find one around these level 12 tree guys.

However, it is now a joke between my boys and I that in order to do anything or request anything, we must initiate an extended string of dialogue that circulates around the question and then randomly request that they do something completely off the wall.

Me: The dishes need doing...

But the dishes were done last night

Me: There are breakfast dishes...

We need to wash breakfast dishes?

Me: Yes, in order for the dishes to be done, we must wash them...

If we wash the dishes, will they then be done?

Me: Yes, in order for dishes to become cleaned, we must clean them! (Heroic pose)

But, the dishes were done after dinner

Me: It is now after the next meal, and we must.

But if we must wash dishes, there won't be any dirty ones left

Me: That is correct little padawan, in order to have clean dishes we must clean them

You are not yet a member of the kitchen guild!

Me: But, fine, let's go to the store and buy some chips

lol funny :D .

However, my advice to you is if you dont like the game to simply log off. In fact i wish all the ppl that dont like it would log off! That way those of us that DO like the game may be able to actually create characters on the servers we want to play on. Ive been trying to get on for hours ;)

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Yes, the start into FFXIV is rather annoying. This can be done much better. Want some examples?

Guildwars 2:

It starts with a fight against attacking centaurs and ends with a nice bossfight. It is great fun and gives you a feeling of urgency.

The Secret World:

The introduction to one of the three agencies is supercool. The cinematics and the first instanced "dreamed" fight are a very good introduction to the game with a lot of action and atmosphere.

Warhammer Online:

Yes, even one of the biggest failures in MMO history had at least a very entertaining starter zone with the greenskins. The questtexts, the ride on the catapult, the first dynamic event, everything was so cool.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• strellokstrellok Member Posts: 48

In LOTRO you were killing bears, boars and wolves in almost every area and in every expansion.

I never heard anybody complain about that.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    In old EQ you were given a note and a club and that was it. Now that was the way to do it.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by arunasme
    Same old mmo, new skin pack. Hype train will go down very soon.

LOL, yeah, I suppose. But it's still better than picking up escaped rabbits before they eat all the watermelon

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by arunasme
    Same old mmo, new skin pack. Hype train will go down very soon.

LOL, yeah, I suppose. But it's still better than picking up escaped rabbits before they eat all the watermelon

Um.. it is IMPERATIVE to grab all the rabbits if they're gonna eat all the watermelon. Must have watermelon.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Tygranir

It's the same MMO again. Seriously.

Just like WoW:

Look! I'm in Elwynn forest... killing boars

Woot! Made it to Hellfire peninsula... and I'm Killing boars....

I wouldn't say just like WoW.

WoW doesn't have incessant loading screens or a 2.5s GCD, two things that are driving me absolutely insane.  The loading screens...man...it's ridiculous that a MMORPG in 2013 has ANY loading but to have it going on this much is just..twilight zone surreal.

In WoW, which is what, 10 years old now or nearly so, you only have a loading screen going in/out of instances.  Zone and city transitions are seamless.  You don't have to zone just to get to another part of a very small town like you do in FFXIV.  How can we have gone this far backwards for tech?  Oh yeah.  FFXIV has to run on archaic outdated consoles.  So everyone not on a console has to suffer the same limitations.  Having both PC and console with the same version of the game is a GREAT idea.

MMORPGs are about killing and collecting and fed-exing.  If you're going to complain about that...maybe you're playing the wrong genre of games.  That said.  Killing squirrels, kittens, and puppies, and other harmless stuff just doesn't inspire.  Couldn't we kill some baby crocodiles or orc/goblin infants or something that is least derivative of a monster?  Beating up helpless wildlife...isn't very heroic.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

I'm betting the OP got owned by the squirrels. If not, the ladybugs certainly trounced him.

I'm enjoying the game. So I don't have a problem starting my life of genocide on small critters.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    I am not taking anyone here serious until there Lv.20 when you have played the 1st 3 dungeons and Ifrit ( if you have not done so in the other phases ) Because the first 15 leves other then story are to get you and people who never played MMOs a learning lesson on how to play .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• MagKilnMagKiln Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Snowdon_Cloudripper
    I am not taking anyone here serious until there Lv.20 when you have played the 1st 3 dungeons and Ifrit ( if you have not done so in the other phases ) Because the first 15 leves other then story are to get you and people who never played MMOs a learning lesson on how to play .

I wouldn't buy in to this....If it looks like a Duck and Quacks like a Duck I bet a million its a Duck after lvl 20 too :) LOL

Originally posted by MagKiln

I wouldn't buy in to this....If it looks like a Duck and Quacks like a Duck I bet a million its a Duck after lvl 20 too :) LOL

if the only complaint is that you're killing ducks untill level 20, then I'm good... As long as its not Giant ducks after 20.

• MagKilnMagKiln Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by vidiotking

if the only complaint is that you're killing ducks untill level 20, then I'm good... As long as its not Giant ducks after 20.

Ahhhhhhh. HUH?

Ahhhhhhh. HUH?

Some games have the same mobs over and over again, just bigger. So level 5 ducks are acceptable to me, but lvl 30 Giant ducks are kind of lame.

Some games have the same mobs over and over again, just bigger. So level 5 ducks are acceptable to me, but lvl 30 Giant ducks are kind of lame.

A lot of games have it, problem is most of them are F2P. That's the biggest issue to me here, this is a sub based game, you can't simply promote something as "oldschool" put little thought into a good chunk of content, and hope to stay afloat simply because your "old school". That's the only argument I see in support of this game, it's "old school", and is sub based. These traits matter little in the grand scheme of things. Especially when there's so much free competition.

A lot of games have it, problem is most of them are F2P. That's the biggest issue to me here, this is a sub based game, you can't simply promote something as "oldschool" put little thought into a good chunk of content, and hope to stay afloat simply because your "old school". That's the only argument I see in support of this game, it's "old school", and is sub based. These traits matter little in the grand scheme of things. Especially when there's so much free competition.

So... there are Giant Ducks at level 30?! Ugh.. I'm gonna be dissapointed. Or do you consider the first 15 levels to be a considerable chunk of the game? Cause I don't

So... there are Giant Ducks at level 30?! Ugh.. I'm gonna be dissapointed.

Not exactly, yet don't expect much in the way of surprises, it's your typical Themepark from top to bottom, with decent crafting thrown in.

I am expecting NO surprises. I'm expection solid gameplay reminiscent of EQ, group gameplay, nice graphics, unique'ish class/job system, and better than average crafting/gathering.
    I am expecting NO surprises. I'm expection solid gameplay reminiscent of EQ, group gameplay, nice graphics, unique'ish class/job system, and better than average crafting/gathering.

You should be good to go then :).

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I would put up with a lot more than busy work starter quests to have no cash shop.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

WOOT!

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Yep. Should have a fun, friendly new MMO home.