Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your test... Go slay squirrels!

Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I'm in the open beta, make my character and hit the opening town. My first mission, discover several places around town. Ok, after several scenes that seem to tug at my FFVII strings like the stained glass combined with music, I move my merry behind toward the archers guild. Is this seriously what the quests are like in this game? Does it get better?

Dialogue of missions? Summarized....

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild." Yes...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild." Continue...

"You may become a member of the archers guild." Cool, continue... complete quest.

Oh, she starts another quest....

"You may become a member of the archers guild." Cool, continue...

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild?" Yes, click accept...

Yay, a member.. complete quest. Oh, the lady behind her has a quest...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild!" Huh? but but, she just...

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild?" sigh, OK, yes.

"You must follow the way of the archer." OK, I already told the other lady I did.

"Do you wish to follow the way of the archer?" Click yes, cool I'm a member...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild!" WTF!

"You must pass a test that will challenge you and make you a member, are you ready to prove yourself?"

Cool, finally some action. YES!

"Good, go slay squirrels!"

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

I'm in the open beta, make my character and hit the opening town. My first mission, discover several places around town. Ok, after several scenes that seem to tug at my FFVII strings like the stained glass combined with music, I move my merry behind toward the archers guild. Is this seriously what the quests are like in this game? Does it get better?

Dialogue of missions? Summarized....

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild." Yes...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild." Continue...

"You may become a member of the archers guild." Cool, continue... complete quest.

Oh, she starts another quest....

"You may become a member of the archers guild." Cool, continue...

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild?" Yes, click accept...

Yay, a member.. complete quest. Oh, the lady behind her has a quest...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild!" Huh? but but, she just...

"Do you wish to become a member of the archers guild?" sigh, OK, yes.

"You must follow the way of the archer." OK, I already told the other lady I did.

"Do you wish to follow the way of the archer?" Click yes, cool I'm a member...

"You are not yet a member of the archers guild!" WTF!

"You must pass a test that will challenge you and make you a member, are you ready to prove yourself?"

Cool, finally some action. YES!

"Good, go slay squirrels!"

Why does this surprise you?

All MMOs I have ever played have their version of the anti-epic quests. Especially in the starter areas.

• StarskinsStarskins Member UncommonPosts: 24
    No, at the beginning of level 20, it's spiders.
  • arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Same old mmo, new skin pack. Hype train will go down very soon.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Don't get me wrong, I'm honestly giving this game a try and approaching it with a very open mind. It however is hard to maintain that perspective when Boiselont of the Lancer's guild is also having a squirrel problem.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Eh its pretty much that, though if you can find a game not like that, feel free to give a shout. All games involve it in some way, hell, GW2 which preached it being different is EXACTLY that, just changed slightly in how its 'shown/done'. 

I will say though they should of made the 'start' quests with the classes different rather then the same thing, after that though they change up and vary a lot more. It does push story in a bit more as well, which in case of the game it does a good job.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Starskins
    No, at the beginning of level 20, it's spiders.

+ 1, answer is pure win

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

It's the same MMO again. Seriously.

Just like WoW:

Look! I'm in Elwynn forest... killing boars

Woot! Made it to Hellfire peninsula... and I'm Killing boars....

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    The only thing(s) FFXIV has going for it is the Job System and the Crafting.  Everything else is a rehash of what has been done before.  Its a good distraction until the next "WoW killer" comes out.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

The low level content is mostly aimed at non-MMO gamers. Yes it is easy for experienced MMO players but that's pretty much the norm for the genre. Killing small, weak looking mobs at low-level is normal. If you were killing dragons and stuff at level 1 you would lose the sense of power progression you get through gaining levels as you would always be killing 'tough' mobs.

The 'kill x of y' quests also thin out as you get higher... and eventually you'll run out entirely and have to find alternative methods to level your other classes/jobs.

I really don't see the issue here. Any game that has tried to do this differently has done it worse...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Alberel

The low level content is mostly aimed at non-MMO gamers. Yes it is easy for experienced MMO players but that's pretty much the norm for the genre. Killing small, weak looking mobs at low-level is normal. If you were killing dragons and stuff at level 1 you would lose the sense of power progression you get through gaining levels as you would always be killing 'tough' mobs.

The 'kill x of y' quests also thin out as you get higher... and eventually you'll run out entirely and have to find alternative methods to level your other classes/jobs.

I really don't see the issue here. Any game that has tried to do this differently has done it worse...

Wait, what? you might have to go into a bit of detail there, I've seen plenty of starter areas that had more productive as well as exciting content.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I DONT SEE THE PROBLEM, if you kill dragons from the start, what will you kill at the end? a DRAAGOOON DRAAAGOOOON , king dragon dragon GOD it makes no sense,  ofcourse you start of hunting bullshit animals , you are  a NOOB you just begun  lol god wtf do you people even know what u want 
    Originally posted by Strayfe
    [mod edit]

That's not really the point. I'm trying to approach the game in it's own merits, not judge it against anything else. And yes, I find GW2's noob areas lame as well.

Another question.... When can I stop delivering pies and actually, you know, slay those dreadful squirrels of doom?

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I'd be more worried about a snake.  They kick. :)

Seriously though, who cares what you kill early on.  No matter what game it is, you're killing something that really isn't "heroic" or fulfilling early on.

Get used to it in FFXIV.  I made it to 30 in closed beta.  I didn't really see too much variation.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199
    There's absolutely nothing requiring you to level up by questing.  You're free to run outside and start beating on anything you want at anytime.  I actually found grinding to be faster in Beta 3, and besides, when you do a quest once, it's done.  After your first 1-2 times through an area leveling a new job, there won't be any more quests, and you'll need to grind, group, do FATEs, or other stuff to level.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

Seriously though, who cares what you kill early on.  No matter what game it is, you're killing something that really isn't "heroic" or fulfilling early on.

Get used to it in FFXIV.  I made it to 30 in closed beta.  I didn't really see too much variation.

I don't think the complaint was solely about what he had to kill, but also the way in which it was delivered.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Have you ever actually tried to kill a squirrel? It is a lot harder than it seems especailly if you are trying to get to them with a melee weapon. I mean by the time you will chase one down, and hit the damn thing it is quite a workout. 

Some chop wood, some kill squirrels... you know whatever works!

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I don't think the complaint was solely about what he had to kill, but also the way in which it was delivered.

Yes, it was rather silly. Jumping through a bunch of needless hoops was annoying enough to make even my 7 year old start to laugh.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    It's a FF game why would you expect NOT to have quests?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Why does this surprise you?

All MMOs I have ever played have their version of the anti-epic quests. Especially in the starter areas.

Squirrels and Ladybugs?  Common dude....

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Alberel

Wait, what? you might have to go into a bit of detail there, I've seen plenty of starter areas that had more productive as well as exciting content.

Really? Give me some examples. In my experience every MMO either has an entirely instanced tutorial that is fun for the first hour or two then makes the rest of the game look rubbish by comparison, or they do it like this and gradually build up to better content.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Urza123

Have you ever actually tried to kill a squirrel? It is a lot harder than it seems especailly if you are trying to get to them with a melee weapon. I mean by the time you will chase one down, and hit the damn thing it is quite a workout. 

Some chop wood, some kill squirrels... you know whatever works!

Shotguns are your friend in almost every situation, be it squirrels, robots, or zombies.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

Well on one hand, what the OP has written makes the quest text seem a bit redundant. 

BUT, please temper that with the fact, that its the tutorial.

and yes, every other post-WoW mmo in history has you doing this lame crap in the tutorial and sometimes well past it all the way to the max level.

I haven't got a shot at playing yet, but, I hope that solo'ing is much slower both for gaining items and exp than group play.  If that's the case I don't care what the quests say and do or how they appear.  I'd rather be in a group anyways then solo clicking my way to victory.  I can play Fable III or final fantasy console games if I want solo questing fun in the sun that is meaningful.

EDIT:  I consider the first 1-5 or even 1-10 levels to be the "tutorial" area or starter area.  Most of the crap done here I want to get out of as fast as possible and don't worry too much about.  I expect in all games nowadays to be gathering berries and whacking bunnies with a stick, I mean we live in a post-WoW mmo world.  At least until Camelot Unchained comes out in 2015 sometime. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    [mod edit]

I'm no fan of GW2, but no... doesn't compare. If they had you running around capturing ladybugs and stealing squirrels stash or something... OK.  But in FFXIV you are literally killing squirrels and Ladybugs.  LADYBUGS.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by Draemos
    [mod edit]

I'm no fan of GW2, but no... doesn't compare. If they had you running around capturing ladybugs and stealing squirrels stash or something... OK.  But in FFXIV you are literally killing squirrels and Ladybugs.  LADYBUGS.

Just read this, and I wanted to reply to you.  So you are saying that these quests are weak and you want something more challenging right?

Well I think questing for exp is weak and the game should be more challenging and you should NOT be able to solo quest as a means of leveling up (maybe just as a storyline or for an epic set of gear at 50).  So to you this easy mode squirrel killing is on the far right side of the spectrum.  But actually, You are just one notch over but still on the far right of the spectrum demanding quests, just not as easy.  I'm on the other side of the spectrum wanting no quests to exp up, but in stead group play as the main means of exp. 

Just wanted to put things in perspective for you and all the other gamers demanding harder/more intricate solo quests.  But, in reality, there is nothing intricate or hard about solo quests, at least that's what guys like me on this end of the spectrum think.  Just a thought for you guys.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • lol OP made my day. The way he describes the process: pure gold.

I tried it for about 15 minutes earlier...but it took so long to get going after the intro, the ride in the cart to town, that I had to postpone till later.

I miss the days of FFVII...get off the train...starting kicking ass.