Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Nether Announced for PC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Phosphor Games has announced a new urban survival-horror game, Nether, and that it will be released in Fall 2013. Nether players are charged with battling and surviving in an effort to discover the source of the apocalyptic destruction that tore the world apart.

“Our team has a strong and varied background that includes the creation of post-apocalyptic titles, so we’re really excited about Nether,” said Chip Sineni, Creative Director at Phosphor Games. “Our focus is to veer away from some of the ‘traditional’ survival-horror offerings in order to provide something new for the genre, with a great urban setting, a different type of story and an experience that excites us as fans and will be something definitely fresh and new for gamers.”

In Nether, players are thrust into a decimated, post-apocalyptic city where the remaining human population has degenerated into a chaotic state of lawlessness. A pervasive sense of evil looms over the land as people struggle to survive and rumors circulate of vile, demonic creatures that roam the cities to claim any souls still living. As one of the few remaining survivors, players must decide if they will Prey or Pray as they use skill and cunning to obtain food, weapons and other supplies necessary for existence while trying to determine whether or not to approach and trust other players or go at it solo.

Find out more on the Nether site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Worst website ever.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Worst website ever.

It's typical of most websites when a game is just announced.

I for one am excited to see what the game offers as it sounds like DayZ but without the tired zombie trope.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't want to be on of "those guys", but this seems suspiciously similar to the WarZ, which was just a gank fest. Plus it's working off of the Unreal Engine, so unless they wrote some pretty stellar network code themselves, there aren't going to be very many people on each server.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Sounds interesting. Sort of like TSW accept more sandboxy by the sounds of it (what with the survival aspects of the game and all).

Smile

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    It sounds like DayZ without the zombies.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Torcip
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Worst website ever.

It's typical of most websites when a game is just announced.

I for one am excited to see what the game offers as it sounds like DayZ but without the tired zombie trope.

Yeah, but "Find out more on the Nether site."

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Terrible FOV. Yuck, yuck, yuck. When will developers get over themselves and start having FOV sliders or just having the default be a wide and acceptable FOV? Unreal.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    When a game is announced for release in less than 6 months that is a almost definite indicator of what you are going to get for a game.  NOT much!.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Great... another game that will be ruined by hackers and people shooting everyone on sight.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Jimmac
    Terrible FOV. Yuck, yuck, yuck. When will developers get over themselves and start having FOV sliders or just having the default be a wide and acceptable FOV? Unreal.

I think the FOV in most games is pretty much in alignment with the tunnel vision of MMORPG gamers. Game developers apparently know their audience well.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Maybe the character has a gasmask on?
  • LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by bloodaxes
    Great... another game that will be ruined by hackers and people shooting everyone on sight.

I was thinking the same thing. This game looked interesting to me at first glance, but the whole FFA flavor of it kills any potential immersion for me.

What a shame. Back to looking for an MMORPS to settle down in for me.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Then we have different views of realism/fun my friend.

The video a person posted here showed something I really hate, you go in a tower to try and find something valueable, fight some monster (In this case) then a douchebag watching all the scene from top after the other dude kills the monster and goes to loot the stuff kills him to have everything for himself.

Dayz was ruined by people and hackers, a game were the zombies were supposed to be the main threat turned into a mass deatmatch mode between players and zombies being an afterthought.

Same for Warz/Infestation, but at least in that I am able to join a low populated server and try and stealth my way and store what I find in safe zones so if I die I'm not empty handed and need to start from fresh again.

These types of games always turn different then what it's advertised.

• LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig
    Originally posted by LungingWolf
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

I was thinking the same thing. This game looked interesting to me at first glance, but the whole FFA flavor of it kills any potential immersion for me.

What a shame. Back to looking for an MMORPS to settle down in for me.

Make some friends, play with said friends .. they = your survival crew/safety net and hence your desired immersion.  

Your group will basically = the crew from the walking dead looking for a place to stay  (probably for forever). These games don't work without pvp because the immersion wouldn't work,  everyone would be all huggy and friends, not realistic. 

that being said, it looks a little rough gameplay wise, environment looks AMAZING ... signed up and anxious to play the game!

As long as a good lore based reason for prohibiting FFA PvP is provided and friendly, consensual dueling is allowed, I don't see why the prohibition of non-consensual PvP is immersion breaking.

Really, it's a matter of personal taste. I just don't find FFA PvP fun. You do. And perhaps this game is meant to cater to your niche. To each his own.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).