Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Fastest-Selling MMO in History

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Who cares if it is true or not.  Great sales doesn't mean the game was a success.  We have D3, SWTOR, GW2, and many other games in the past that have posted great sales and flopped something fierce in the eyes of gamers.

I find it more disturbing that MMORPG.com decided that this was something worth posting as credible news.  However, to be fair I probably wouldn't bite the hand that feeds me either.  

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I wasn’t gonna but I preordered it at the last minute when it launched and still play; though I did take a 3 month break. I like me an occasional chaotic zerg, not sure why but I do. But that’s just me. Brings back memories of my old D1 D2 days. I can understand why it does not appeal to some player types though. Not every game is for everyone.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Lol, this is nothing new. We knew last year that they sold 3m copies. And it's still 3m. But, to make sensation, put "Fastest selling MMO". Next year  new title "Still the fastest selling MMO w/o China with 3m sold units".

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Fastest selling mmo as well as fastest mmo to depopulate after launch lol
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    Fastest selling mmo as well as fastest mmo to depopulate after launch lol

yes keep telling it to yourself :)

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I remember when AOC had this record....

These things end up being rather meaningless after a fashion.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Volkon
    So basically, no matter how you slice the numbers, WoW and GW2 are the two big dogs in the kennel surrounded by packs of yipping chihuahuas. 

Fastest selling MMO doesnt mean a single thing....SWTOR was also the fastest selling MMO in history its first few months...look where that ended up...

How many of those 3 million players are still playing a year in? THAT is the question that needs answering....Untill they get serious and announce active players like Blizz did with D3 (when they totally didnt have to), im going to ignore these announcements lol.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

And how many do they have activly playing?

I dont know a singel person who still playes GW2

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by spawn12345

And how many do they have activly playing?

I dont know a singel person who still playes GW2

The population in GW2 has been increasing over time, causing them to increase the server capacities and early on add six servers. There's no problem with population in GW2. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    No developers have been let off, game directors haven't stepped down, there has been no server shutdowns/mergers in the first year unlike every other game released since 2008 and the population on my server hasn't dwindled at all. I'd say that's a win.

• spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Volkon
    So basically, no matter how you slice the numbers, WoW and GW2 are the two big dogs in the kennel surrounded by packs of yipping chihuahuas. 

Fastest selling MMO doesnt mean a single thing....SWTOR was also the fastest selling MMO in history its first few months...look where that ended up...

How many of those 3 million players are still playing a year in? THAT is the question that needs answering....Untill they get serious and announce active players like Blizz did with D3 (when they totally didnt have to), im going to ignore these announcements lol.

(Full disclosure: Ex-wow player; playing GW2 since beta... and loving it!)

All these kind of anti-GW2 comments remind me of "one-uppers"; you just can never win. And true to the "one-upper personality", most of the people making these comments don't even play the game!

I just don't get this "my game vs your game" mentality; play and let play!

P.S. This goes to everyone: WOW, GW2 and all other players (including myself)

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by wsmar
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

However, one could argue, that WoW had it much easier in the past:

1. EQ, UO, AC, DAOC and SWG had opend the market already.

Many people were interested in playing an MMO.

2. WoW was released exactly at the same time, when highspeed internet became affordable.

Everybody could finally try playing an MMO.

3. WoW was the first casual oriented, well polished MMO with a big brand behind it. And it ran on older PCs.

WoW was everybody's first option.

Now let us talk about GW2:

1. GW2 was released at the same time as TERA, TSW and MoP. Some were still playing SWTOR.

GW2 faced much greater competition than WoW.

2. These days the whole enthusiasm for MMOs is decreasing. After many big disappointments (WAR, VG, etc.) the playerbase is much more critical.

GW2 earned a lot of critique for everything it tries to do differently whereas WoW was praised for almost everything they did then. Directly after the big failure of SWTOR it was almost impossible to win a lot of new players in a short period.

I don't think you understood the point. WoW did something none of the MMO's before it really did. It made the genre popular. Sure WoW had lots of help, but there is no comparison between the amount of people that were interested or played mmos back then, than there is now. That's what I'm getting at, WoW flooded the market with people interested in MMO's.

To say that it was hard to win a lot of new players after SWTOR is silly because GW2 wasn't released long after SWTOR. I think it might be harder for the upcoming AAA MMO's like wildstar, TESO, EQN, Archeage, etc, because of the failures of both GW2 and SWTOR.

I can agree with your POV on the first part. You lost credibility with me when you generalized and claimed GW2 was a failure. Maybe it was for you, but by what criteria of failure would GW2 have accomplished for you to generalize the toughness of a genre because of said failures?

My reasoning for why it failed is due in part to the fact that there is no class synergy in the game. It has nothing to do with the lack of holy trinity, because there have been games that did not have the holy trinity that still had some kind of class synergy. It all boils down to the fact that at the base of each class, they are all the same. They all have similar amounts of survivability, can do similar amounts of damage, and gear is all similarly powerful. So it created something many people called the unholy trinity, Ranged, Regeneration, and Run the hell away. In WvW people reverted to more realistic warfare tactics, or in other words where you sit back and range all day. Melee is obsolete in large group pvp battles.

So then, when you take the lack of class synergy, and combine it was PvE that is meant to have the holy trinity, (dungeons are a perfect example), you get relatively dumbed down and easy gameplay.

Not to mention that many of the things ArenaNet said didn't come to fruition, such as dynamic events. They really weren't dynamic. The are essentially open world quests that happen over and over again, much like WAR's public quest system.

So that's why the game failed to me, and many others. You could look at the success of the game and maybe come to a different conclusion, but when you look at the basic mechanics of the game, they come out flawed.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Volkon So basically, no matter how you slice the numbers, WoW and GW2 are the two big dogs in the kennel surrounded by packs of yipping chihuahuas. 

A game with over two million active players? A game with nearly half a million active subscribers? Compared to other games in the industry, it doesn't seem all that bad.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    This whole argument between the WoW and the GW2 playerbase has been infinitely entertaining... Pointless, but nevertheless, entertaining.

Smile

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

OK. Great! 3M in 1st year. very impressive. So, now what? What are they gonna do to keep it going?

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I’m still laughing at these people who think GW2 failed because I don’t see it. New content is streaming in faster than even I can keep up with. So I guess that means WoW failed too? Failed for them perhaps? Everytime I log in I see crap loads of people everywhere. In fact you rarely find places where you will go 15 min without another person wandering by, even in the most obscure locations. A lot of times all you have to do is say something in local and people actually respond, so I don’t know where this whole “people never talk” Thing comes from either. Fort Aspenwood server I doing fine. 

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

But.....but....but.....what if someone doesn't like the game?!?!   I thought that meant it wasn't a success if someone doesn't like it or if they don't know anyone who plays it.   I don't know anyone who plays, nor do I like WoW.   Surely because of that WoW is not successful.  I don't care if you publish financial reports nor use financial analysts (to include MMORPG.com forum poster/armchair financial analysts).

Yes that was sarcasm, but it's exactly how I see a lot of retorts on these forums by the same people over and over about  anything pointing to GW2 being a successful MMO.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Same with Piken Square server, people everywhere all the time all talking and even tons of RP'ers.

I just wish Anet would put the same amount of effort into WvW as the living world.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by expresso
    Think Blizzard might disgree.  just saying

Expansions don't count. Vanilla WoW  didn't sell 3 millions within a year..

And why expansions don't count? or we count expansions only when it is convenient to make case in favor of GW2?

Because expansions are additions to an already released game.

Which makes it even more difficult to sell it in huge numbers because it is an expansion. And yet Blizzard does it every time.

It is just very convenient to not count expansion numbers because they make GW2 numbers look bad. I consider every expansion as a game in itself considering the amount of content it adds to already existing game.

Not quite. Expansions don't count because its just a continuation of the existing playerbase, as opposed to original game sales.

When WoW launches an expansion, pretty much every person needs to buy it, or get left behind in redundant content with no one to play with, so its not surprising that most people currently subbing will buy it.

What this article is talking about is initial sales growth of a game. Allegedly, GW2 is the fastest growing MMO to date based on the first 9 months. How accurate that is I don't really care, because I doubt they have the same player retention.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by Tiller

I’m still laughing at these people who think GW2 failed because I don’t see it. New content is streaming in faster than even I can keep up with. So I guess that means WoW failed too? Failed for them perhaps? Everytime I log in I see crap loads of people everywhere. In fact you rarely find places where you will go 15 min without another person wandering by, even in the most obscure locations. A lot of times all you have to do is say something in local and people actually respond, so I don’t know where this whole “people never talk” Thing comes from either. Fort Aspenwood server I doing fine. 

Its just in there yes like anything in life people need something to complain about. I was at gamestop  this morning and a guy was in there complaining about Saint Row IV saying there taking the game in the wrong direction that it should stick to its root's I played the game its freaking crazy fun at least to me. Or the lady last night at the gas station complaining about the price of her lottery ticket cause it was $5 and she feels it should just be a dollar cause she picked more rows of numbers it should not raise the price. And yes even with SWTOR people complain even tho it seems to be doing fine I get on it and see people everywhere all the time. Or even AoC i see alot of players in it or STO heck even DDO has a ton everywhere on most servers so yeah they complain because they just don't like it.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

expansions are extended contend not a new game or mmo.
    its realy simple ?
    or do some wanne people wanne shoot down a succes hit again ?

i bought GW2 played hardcore in WvW for 5 months and quited.
    to shallow and to zergy, but i played over 1000 hours in pvp and got my bang for the buck.
    Sometimes when i am realy bored with Eve Online i log in to get a quick pvp fix.

GW2 has its downs, i hope EQN learns from Anet not to make it this shallow.
    But GW2 is also a great mmo for alot of people.

Stop bitching and flaming on something, Anet deserved to be succesfull as they tried something diffrent and made it a succes.
    They had to balls to break the WoW copy paste mmo standard.

For me its nto fun anymore, but i move on and hope Anet the best.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I was one of them too.

Still playing. Still having fun.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

GW2 had three million sales in January 2013 and now has in excess of three million sales as of August 2013 so instead of saying GW2 sold this much between those dates they spin it into fastest selling MMO ever but forgot to say that its has sold pretty much bugger all since January? Also they partnered with this market research company? or commissioned? to have something to keep up publicity of a game that was rapidly running out of game sales and now is heavily relying on Gem and cash shop sales, thus the new approach to quick fire updates trying to keep the existing playerbase interested. Modern PR is great and it'll work as usual.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

Timelines cannot compare. At all. WoW opened up a market. It was the 1st MMO that sold enormous amounts of copies. Props to Anet, but if we were to look at Blizzard total sales you know what would happen. As few people pointed out, GW2 sold 90% of their copies when the game was still hyped up. WoW was gaining subs for 7 years. You literally can't compare the two.

WoW - new market, not a lot of people play MMOs

GW2 - old market, tens of millions people playing

It's like pointing out Smart in 2012 outsold Ferrari in 1920 when there were like 100 people buying cars in total.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226
    If only it sustained my interest even a little.