Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Firefall: The Beginning of Something Great

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I uninstalled and runned back to planetside 2.
    What a joke of a game, running around to pray you get in time for the event that is happening 200000 miles further down the road.
    Most of the time you missed it and runned for jack ass waisting your time.
    Same npc's all over the place.

The only good thing about this game so far is the difficulty, both in crafting and contend.
    But its just the same spawns over and over and over again.

Compare this to Destiny and your in for a world of shock.

Running around like a derp will get you that, if you just head in one direction you'll find plenty of stuff to do.

Comparing a game in beta which is currently delivering on its promises with a game which isn't even in closed beta is like me comparing you to a amoeba.

I saw an amoeba in game the other night and he was doing missions just fine....oh wait...I see what you did there.

Don't remind me... that bastard sniped so many chosen strike groups from me...

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Completely agree, what is so innovative about this game, very little!  The value is a bit ludicrous too.  

It is a fun game, but it has a ways to go to get those scores.  Lately game reviews on this site seem to be pandering to the advertising budget instead of actually giving a fair review.

Normally, I'd not respond to this kind of comment... but come on.  Go look at our recent scores. To think that ANYONE would pay for the terrible ratings of games we've reviewed lately is just ludicrous.  

Firefall's whopping 7.7 is about one of the highest the site's seen all year, and while I think it's a fair score and reflects my experience with the game, it's likely not exactly what Mr. Kern was hoping for.  Of the several dozen titles we've reviewed this year alone, only two have scored a flat 8 and none have scored higher than that.  Our review average, compared to other sites, is actually below the industry average. Just look at Metacritic if you don't believe me. Our average score over the past 80 reviews we've published is a 67/100... in other words a D grade for the industry.

I deal with publishers, developers, and PR folks all the time who think we're "too harsh", but it seems we're not harsh enough for some.

But yeah, I'll go back to rolling in my pay-off cash while naked and giggling now.

/snark

Odd place to ask this Bill, so forgive me for that, but have you considered doing a "1 year later" re-review for GW2?

Probably can't find any staff member who will bring themselves to log into that game for long enough to do  a full re-review.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Shame the entire game has about as much unique content as just one of Guild Wars 2's bi-weekly updates.
  • SilynseSilynse Member UncommonPosts: 19

Ok seriously, I get it MMORPG , Mark is one of your contributors and also dev on this game... YOU DONT HAVE TO RATE IT NICELY FOR HIM. He is an adult and a member of the industry.

Ive played this game for over a year, it is buggy, broken, and lacks depth in more ways than one.

anything above a 7 is an undeserved rating. I could literally write pages on whats wrong and right with this game, but ill make it quick.

The game DOES have good terrain visuals. The player character and wildlife and enemies are not detailed and boring. Always the same, and stay that way.

The missions REPEAT CONSTANTLY.

The AI of the enemy is both predictable and broken in that the enemy acts irrational based on situation and is at times overpoweringly accurate with weapon systems it shouldn't be.

The game lacks variety.

The community is very good.

There is a lack of suits, and abilities that are interchangeable in PVP. This maeks EVERY PVP experience the same no matter what.

Over all this game at most deserved a 5.

It runs like a fresh beta, lacks content and variety. Lacks graphics to keep up with the soon to be next gen, is repetitive in every single way, so much so that after a few hours you will be bored. And furthermore has been run in a way that could nearly be constituted a money making scheme if it wasn't for their investors which, from what I hear, are not very happy with the incompetience and incomplete nature of the project in the wake of what is about to be the utter demise of this project as the new MMOs come out this year and next.

Shame on you for this review. It is inaccurate. Shame on Mark for plugging his game every shot he could on your site, and please I ENCOURAGE the players here to try the game. I guarantee you will come to much if not all of my conclusions soon enough.

Good day.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

Originally posted by Silynse

Ok seriously, I get it MMORPG , Mark is one of your contributors and also dev on this game... YOU DONT HAVE TO RATE IT NICELY FOR HIM. He is an adult and a member of the industry.

Ive played this game for over a year, it is buggy, broken, and lacks depth in more ways than one.

anything above a 7 is an undeserved rating. I could literally write pages on whats wrong and right with this game, but ill make it quick.

The game DOES have good terrain visuals. The player character and wildlife and enemies are not detailed and boring. Always the same, and stay that way.

The missions REPEAT CONSTANTLY.

The AI of the enemy is both predictable and broken in that the enemy acts irrational based on situation and is at times overpoweringly accurate with weapon systems it shouldn't be.

The game lacks variety.

The community is very good.

There is a lack of suits, and abilities that are interchangeable in PVP. This maeks EVERY PVP experience the same no matter what.

Over all this game at most deserved a 5.

It runs like a fresh beta, lacks content and variety. Lacks graphics to keep up with the soon to be next gen, is repetitive in every single way, so much so that after a few hours you will be bored. And furthermore has been run in a way that could nearly be constituted a money making scheme if it wasn't for their investors which, from what I hear, are not very happy with the incompetience and incomplete nature of the project in the wake of what is about to be the utter demise of this project as the new MMOs come out this year and next.

Shame on you for this review. It is inaccurate. Shame on Mark for plugging his game every shot he could on your site, and please I ENCOURAGE the players here to try the game. I guarantee you will come to much if not all of my conclusions soon enough.

Good day.

Actually I came to the conclusion that this game is in a league of its own in shooter/rpg hybrids.  In two weeks I have already put double the time I did into the two Borderlands games combined.  Had far far more than twice the fun as well.  The game is astoundingly good, I've recommended it to everyone.  I think you are missing a lot of what is going on if you were bored after a few hours.

Also, the game does not look very nice until you force af via drivers.  I don't know why there is not in game AF.  I really like the visual style now after using that and sweetfx.  I agree though that the visuals first impression for me was not good.

I still can't believe this is a free game.  I do worry about how the heck they are going to make money when literally the entire game is free.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

Originally posted by Dornin34

That was a kind review, but the truth is this game is a train wreck right now. It plays more like an alpha. The servers are just bad. All kinds of errors and just generally unplayable lately. They should have left this game in closed testing for at least another 6 months to work the ever growing technical issues. To say the content is limited is a gross understatement. They have some great ideas with this game but it seems like that care more about making the game an e-sport rather than making it a good MMO. 

How do you expect them to stress the servers keeping it in closed beta?

Without the influx of OB then these issues could not really have been tested. You can see a stickied thread and others from Phobos talking about the backend upgrades they are doing.

FYI they do want the PVP part to have an e-sport component but they have said they have switched more focus right now to the PVE. Do you not pay attention to the devs and community mgr posts as well as the Firefall Live Twitch.tv broadcasts? Some things were also disabled from closed beta, such as the Chosen mothership attacking Copacabana with drop pods (what do you think all the anti-aircraft turrets are for in Copa/SH/TD are for?). It was too scripted for their liking so it was disabled so they could rework it.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• DKKOberonDKKOberon Member Posts: 75
    I like the game. 'nuff said because critics got to hate.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    So in other words, the game is actually mediocre but you didn't want to put that rating on it. Its time to stop putting so much importance on graphics. If the rest of it sucks, and the game only has a 6 for staying power, then it's not a good game.  And btw, a friend told me that he played it today. He said it's boring and not even half finished. According to him, it's not even ready for beta. 

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    At the rate new content comes out, the game and game engine will be way out of date, IMO; give a year and we will see more land mass, but Im willing to bet it will not double the existing game area by a long shot
  • JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127

I generally agree with the score as it is given.  Heck it's all I have been playing since "Open Beta" started, but it's really just a soft launch.  For being a Free-2-Play title it is a pretty good game.  Most F2P titles don't last more than a day on my computer.  In that regard this is one of the best F2P at release games I have ever played.

I believe the AI is about spot on, however they could tune the missions levels in game.  Most of their "solo" Ares missions are really 2-3 player missions.  Incursion destructables could be a little harder to destroy.

I think crafting is more complicated than it needs to be and I only just started crafting Tier II gear.

I don't feel the game is very innovative mechanically.  However I think Red 5's concept and scope is pretty fresh.

• zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69
    This game is great!  The scores I think are a little low and despite the low scores for content, there's still a ton of game to explore as it stands now.  I have over 7 days played (168hrs) and still find new places in the current world I've never been.  I'm only at 2 of 9 for explored areas I think too on the achieves.  This game really shines in replayablity, gameplay, and world design.
  • stalker989stalker989 Member UncommonPosts: 34

For a free game Firefall is a great value. Accolades aside, there are many issues with the game outside of bugs, stability and a poor UI. The few servers that they have are severely overpopulated. You can spend all your time trying to run from one mission to the next (need the rewards to upgrade battleframes, Points of Interest and the 1 storyline mission) just to have a group finish it as soon as you get there or while you are on your way.

Next, as the review says, the game "world" is extremely small. I honestly can't see this game being much outside of a PvP game (you join the matches and everyone uses a base battleframe).

I have been playing since the first closed beta and this problem has only gotten worse. I enjoy the game when the servers are empty, but not so much when they are packed and you can't get much accomplished. I get what I pay for I guess.

• InternetSmuckInternetSmuck Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Completely agree, what is so innovative about this game, very little!  The value is a bit ludicrous too.  

It is a fun game, but it has a ways to go to get those scores.  Lately game reviews on this site seem to be pandering to the advertising budget instead of actually giving a fair review.

Normally, I'd not respond to this kind of comment... but come on.  Go look at our recent scores. To think that ANYONE would pay for the terrible ratings of games we've reviewed lately is just ludicrous.  

Firefall's whopping 7.7 is about one of the highest the site's seen all year, and while I think it's a fair score and reflects my experience with the game, it's likely not exactly what Mr. Kern was hoping for.  Of the several dozen titles we've reviewed this year alone, only two have scored a flat 8 and none have scored higher than that.  Our review average, compared to other sites, is actually below the industry average. Just look at Metacritic if you don't believe me. Our average score over the past 80 reviews we've published is a 67/100... in other words a D grade for the industry.

I deal with publishers, developers, and PR folks all the time who think we're "too harsh", but it seems we're not harsh enough for some.

But yeah, I'll go back to rolling in my pay-off cash while naked and giggling now.

/snark

If you held true to your traditional "low" scores for games on metacritic then surely you would of graded this Firefall game in the high 5 to low 6 range. It is quite obvious you inflated this score for whatever reason. This game is, like someone pointed out, mindless....

I remember a couple years ago when I checked out the closed beta, this dev team was rolling in lavish offices, Tiki bar... all the bells an whistles. They had not even really earned the lavish life. Now look at the dev team for Star Citizen, working out of closets.

• NinjaGazNinjaGaz Member UncommonPosts: 53

I played this in beta, came back played again a bit later. I struggled to really get into it. When I came back to it, I was starting all over again and an early mission is to put a thumper down and drill. I looked for some places but didn't have much luck. Eventually, I found others doing one and I helped out - it was a bit easy (But of course was a newbie one). Then I tried to plant my thumper and someone beat me to it. I helped them and got beat to the next one too.

All this time I was waiting in the PvP queue but it never spawned.

Essentially, I just found that there wasn't much to do but grind whilst waiting for PvP. Maybe I'm being unfair, but the lack of content, players and things to do was a real problem for me.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

7.7 for a game which hasn't advanced significantly in two years of dev time....

There was nothing to do but wander around & grind thumpers two years ago while waiting for PvP. There's nothing to do but run around and grind thumpers right now, and there isn't even any PvP to queue for.

The game is pretty, and the classes are kind of neat, but it's been two years and other than a few introductory quests & the same few dynamic events (or w/e Red5 is calling them) repeating ad nauseum, the game has zero content. Furthermore it's very obvious that Red5 isn't going to be able to fulfill but half of what they promised (and they admitted as such).

I've never seen such a ridiculous waste of investor capital. Two years, and they've done almost nothing. Worse than a lack of content is the fact that the game's development has no direction whatsoever; it hasn't gone anywhere yet, and it's not looking to go anywhere in the future.

Anything over a 5 is grossly undeserved.

• N00bkinN00bkin Member Posts: 3
    How does this game get a 7? There's something shady going on here, probably mmorpg.com getting paid off by the firefall devs to give it a good rating. This game deserves a 3 at best. The game should honestly be brought back to closed beta for at least the next 3-4 mothes, showing it to the public in this state is just shooting yourself in the foot.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not sure why the high score tbh, until PVP is reintroduced is there any reason to even play? the PVE is okay, but its not really anything more than a 'filler' for the PVP imo. Kind of like a PVE version of Planetside.. would be a bit of an epic fail.image
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I honestly do not know how Fire Fall even got a 7.7 on the score, and I am not trolling but being honest.

1.) Beautiful Visuals? 

. I find that the game still has the bug where alt + tab from the game and going back in I get a black screen mesh bug everything is black for a few seconds.

. The game does not run as smooth as it should, I run two Dark Fall clients with decent visuals, and Tera Online max graphics both preform better the only issue with Tera is the UI bug they never fixed and the reason I don't play it. Even Global Agenda which in my eyes is very similar to Fire Fall has better visuals, and same thing with Tribes Ascend.

.Fire Fall's Character models also look ugly they look like cartoons not realistic, I can play a game like Second Life and design a better character model than Fire Fall has.

2.) The developers never listen to the suggestions to improve these problems over the months of telling them about it when it was in Beta, not sure if its actually still in beta but when they had founders packages going.

3.) The Crafting system absolutely Sucks I tried it Dark Fall Online, EVE Online, Mortal Online all have better crafting systems.

4.) Lack of content for sure All I really could find to do was drop thumpers hit resources after awhile it gets boring no real missions/quests, no actual open world PVP.

Over All the game doesn't feel worth playing to me there are better games like Global Agenda, Tribes Ascend, and for a 2011 game in development this in my opinion is pretty pathetic there are just no words to describe.

Fire Fall could have been something Unique had they have made it look like their CGI movies did before I ever played beta, but my opinion they need to scrap the game redo the entire game, or seriously fix what they have already created with new content, bug fixes, and non cartoon character models.

I played this game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APB:_All_Points_Bulletin and it was released in 2010 based on what the Wiki says which means the game was developed likely over a year before yet the game itself preformed a lot better than Fire Fall did even during the beta launch, and the Customization was like 100X Better and the game itself preform a lot better plus it actually has a mission, and a point to the game.

Take Fire Fall for example, I totally do not understand why I am shooting Aliens, or why I am killing these Marines or Chosen, I want to know how they came to exist, why am I fighting them, and so on unlike APB for example I know that I am in a gang world doing a crime, or I am a police officer stopping crime what is the real story behind Fire-Fall.

Edit: I just patched Fire Fall, and check out the game it didn't preform as bad with the all black texture bug on alt + tab but the game doesn't feel smooth at all compared to Tribes, or Global Agenda, I said in chat they need to fix the lag/non smooth game-play issue immediately they start blaming my Computer, saying its on my end its a client side issue? Sure its a client side issue, the engine that they develop it on is pathetic something I have never even hear of in my life and I believe it is why I am having issues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefall_(video_game) Can I play it yes, but it still doesn't feel smooth at all like an actual FPS compared to playing GA, Tribes, or even Call OF Duty.

But then again the game says it still in Beta, but still for a Beta game this seems pretty bad, I have done many Beta, even Albion Online which still plays better than this game for the game being in Alpha.

• NitroMidgetsNitroMidgets Member Posts: 2

A game that has been in development for seven years. Webzen, The9 and now another Chinese company have thrown money at it, the story is still missing, the guy who was to create the Chosen War part of the game left, it is designed for dual core systems (WTF?), the servers can't support half the shit they promised, they might as well install a revolving door when it comes to employment there, it had no direction other then up its own ass, they shut down any posts that question their idiotic decisions, Mark Kern posted that any founder could get a refund after it changed directions into a skill-less based AoE spamming game only then Red5 deleted his post and refused all requests for refunds.

When asked for proof that the game was getting better, there were more and more people playing the game and asking what the final goal is actually supposed to be, they would delete threads, close threads and ban people.

They are the new Enron of the game development world. It deserves less then a five. To give it more then that shows some sort of bias.

• sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    ya this game sucks. it's boring, its repetetive, no story and crafting sucks. They just need to throw in the towel and to think i was a founder of this game. Just a matter of time before we hear the studio is shutting down. 
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Originally posted by sneakerz007

ya this game sucks. it's boring, its repetetive, no story and crafting sucks. They just need to throw in the towel and to think i was a founder of this game. Just a matter of time before we hear the studio is shutting down. 

Funny...not what I keep reading about the game (and no not from this site)

Was fun to play/test and if I was more into the world and such I might still be playing. It has it's downside, but not as bad as you say. Played too many games lately?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• xellusexelluse Member UncommonPosts: 2

7.7 for what??? Maximum 6.5 from 10, game is not bad, but it have nothing for 7+ from 10...

Just my opinion... 

• jjddgguzmanjjddgguzman Member Posts: 16
    review should probably be updated then because the gameplay now has improved by leaps and bounds from before.
  • EclecticSkyDirtEclecticSkyDirt Member Posts: 14
    Well currently playing FireFall, and had to see how MMORPG rates it. It's a good assessment IMO and pretty much how I enjoy the game right now reflects the good points presented here. Although the improvements that the devs have been coming up with does merit a revisit to the elements that have been said wanting ;)
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I just started playing again today, and have had a great time. I really think red5 have made this into a really good game. I even gave them 20 bucks to show my support, I bought a firecat frame and love blowing stuff up with it. There are also many people playing, which also adds to the fun factor. 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".