Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Console or Mac, which do you think?

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

So here I am, hating windows 8 so badly after realizing the only way I could turn off automatic updates for windows media player according to Microsoft support was to create my own key in my registry, when all they had to add was an on off button to windows.  Microsoft is going too far to not allow people to uninstall programs on their computer or turn off upate features on them. 

So I'm going to buy either a PS4, Xbox, or MAC OS.  I was wondering what system would be best for ESO you think for me.  Does Mac OS have unfriendly auto updating or user controls?   I know consoles are on separate servers, which one do you think might have the most people and do consoles these days also do auto updates during game play?

I guess I should note that I want to be able to play Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim also.

Comments

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

First, understand that I love Macs.  Before you buy a mac you need to understand what you are purchasing.  When it comes to gaming they may not be the best choice for you.  You will be putting yourself into a slightly better boat than a linux user.  Most games are for windows.  That's just how it is.  You can run any windows game by installing windows on your mac with bootcamp, or you can get access to a decent selection without doing that by using playonmac or crossover.  With the bootcamp option you now have what is basically an expensive pc that doesn't have the best hardware for the cost to play your games on.  If that's how you spend most your time then all you have paid for is a pretty mac box.  If most of the games you play are available natively or with one of those solutions then I have no doubt you will be happy with a mac purchase.  However, if you are looking for a system thats primary use will be gaming then I'm afraid you will be disappointed with a mac. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    If those are the choices, go with the PS4 IMO, should be able to play EQN on it as well.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    If those are the choices, go with the PS4 IMO, should be able to play EQN on it as well.  image

I agree, though I'm still torn if I should cancel my preorder for the PS4 and get a Nvdia Titan in a new gaming PC, pay 8 times as much, and stick that by the big screen lol. I'm just such a graphics whore, but maybe the console graphics will be good enough with almost everything dedicated to gaming unlike a PC so that the PC graphics advantage will be very minor to the average eye. Not sure.

I always have issues with SLI, some games aren't SLI compatible for months on end, driver issues on a PC up the wazooo, mods that actually hurt performance and you don't realize it until you turn them off, etc. Decisions decisions.

There Is Always Hope!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

hating an OS because its build for touchscreens is not that smart...  I know why people hate windows, thats because they are affraid of change and wory about having to relearn a lot they allready know..

Well, better stick to windows 7 then, instead of spending all your money on very expensive apple hardware thats not even gaming worthy...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by Kyleran

This!

Based on the OP post, SO much THIS!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by fistorm

So here I am, hating windows 8 so badly after realizing the only way I could turn off automatic updates for windows media player according to Microsoft support was to create my own key in my registry, when all they had to add was an on off button to windows.  Microsoft is going too far to not allow people to uninstall programs on their computer or turn off upate features on them. 

So I'm going to buy either a PS4, Xbox, or MAC OS.  I was wondering what system would be best for ESO you think for me.  Does Mac OS have unfriendly auto updating or user controls?   I know consoles are on separate servers, which one do you think might have the most people and do consoles these days also do auto updates during game play?

I guess I should note that I want to be able to play Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim also.

Really, I don't see how that can turn you off. Mac has even more restrictions in comparison to windows.  I been using Windows 8 for probably 6 -7 months now and it works fine. It's fast, and I never really have issues.

Also why would you want to turn updates off? Updating your software is important as it tends to keep your security at check. When people find loop holes or a back door in a program, microsoft or a company will come in and release a security update. It's in your best interest to update.

As for uninstalling programs, yes, you can uninstall windows media player if you wanted to. Go to control panel, open up programs and features, then click turn windows features on or off and uncheck media features. Apply and it should uninstall windows media player.

Also keep in mind, people have problems with macs as well. All computers have problems. It's even worse when a person has no clue what they are doing. Don't expect buying  a mac to be some quick fix. You will be very disappointed.

Windows 8 is a very good OS. It's actually probably the best one made by MS. Most people who rag on it, are the ones who can't get used to the new interface, which can easily be turned off if you are even a little computer savvy. However, a new update is coming out soon that will allow you to do it right in the settings, so it will be even easier.

Also, as someone mentioned above, PCs support more games, they are also considerably cheaper in comparison to macs. Remember, when you buy a mac, you are paying a premium just for the label.

I could continue to go on a rant here, but really don't think I am really going to make much of a difference.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

win 8 is just win 7 updated for touch screens, google making win 8 look like win 7, and then follow the guide.

if you got bent out of shape over windows media player, lol.

Originally posted by neorandom

win 8 is just win 7 updated for touch screens, google making win 8 look like win 7, and then follow the guide.

Actually windows 8 is an entire re-code of the OS. It's a lot more secure and performs much better. It also has many other changes and features. You really shouldn't speak of thing you know nothing about to mislead people. While I do understand what you are saying, at least try and be a little more accurate with your info.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by neorandom

Actually windows 8 is an entire re-code of the OS. It's a lot more secure and performs much better. It also has many other changes and features. You really shouldn't speak of thing you know nothing about to mislead people. While I do understand what you are saying, at least try and be a little more accurate with your info.

Currently i thin Windows 8 is the most advanced OS for mobile devices and Tablets... both versions.  Its designed for the future.  Tough we must accept that there have been a gruesome lot of changes, and most people need to relearn how to use their PCs, this is obviously unacceptable for most people.

The problem with Windows 8 is that people dont like changes in their habbits..  But as an client OS its really a step in the right direction.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

Apples hardware is for people who want to pretend they are special snowflakes.   It is in many ways like a cult following. I like to call it fadware.  People like to buy it, not because of its superior capabilities, but because it is trendy.

You are paying double for a machine that is inferior in just about every way possible.  It makes no sense at all to purchase an Apple computer for gaming.  Its like buying a wrench to hammer in nails.  It is the wrong tool for the job.

There is absolutely only one positive to Apple computers, and oddly enough it has nothing to do with the hardware.   Most malicious software is written for Windows, so the MAC OS is immune to most of it.  However, to any seasoned PC owner that is more or less a non-issue as well.  Its not hard to know what sites not to visit, and to keep your PC decently secured.  There are even far more advanced techniques that can assure complete protection.

Originally posted by jesusjuice69

Apples hardware is for people who want to pretend they are special snowflakes.   It is in many ways like a cult following. I like to call it fadware.  People like to buy it, not because of its superior capabilities, but because it is trendy.

You are paying double for a machine that is inferior in just about every way possible.  It makes no sense at all to purchase an Apple computer for gaming.  Its like buying a wrench to hammer in nails.  It is the wrong tool for the job.

The absolutely only positive to Apple computers, and it has nothing to do with the hardware.   Most malicious software is written for Windows, so the MAC OS is immune to most of it.  However, to any seasoned PC owner that is more or less a non-issue as well.  Its not hard to know what sites not to visit, and to keep your PC decently secured.  There are far more advanced techniques as well that can assure complete protection.

100% Agreed! =^.^= I couldn't have said it better.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

I have never owned a Mac or Apple computer.  But saying they are double the price is insane.  Go look up the price on Apple's website.  I7s, 16GB RAM, VERY nice monitors, etc etc for less than $2000.  Where can you have the pre-built for much less?  Please don't bring up building your own because obviously thats always much less.  I never understand why Apple does not just sell the OS so people can install it on their own computers.  I have noticed that quite a few more games are being made now for the Mac.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

Where is the poll?

Going for Ps4!

Originally posted by Letsinod

I have never owned a Mac or Apple computer.  But saying they are double the price is insane.  Go look up the price on Apple's website.  I7s, 16GB RAM, VERY nice monitors, etc etc for less than $2000.  Where can you have the pre-built for much less?  Please don't bring up building your own because obviously thats always much less.  I never understand why Apple does not just sell the OS so people can install it on their own computers.  I have noticed that quite a few more games are being made now for the Mac.

They are not double the price, however they are a lot more expensive and sometimes it's pretty darn close to double. 

Example 1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883155739 , doesn't come with a screen but it's cheap enough to be able to afford a screen just as good as any apple computer and still be cheaper.

Example 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220347 , again no screen, but still cheap enough to get you one of same quality as the apple and still be below $2000.

These 2 examples are probably not even the best examples, it's not like I actually went looking. You could probably even find better deals.

Also, the benefit of a non apple product is you have more choice.

As for building a computer, why wouldn't that be included? You can't just discount that like it doesn't exist just to benefit your argument which totally failed btw.

As for why Apple doesn't sell their OS, it's because the OS works for very specific hardware that Apple approves. You can't just install it on any system. Such as, I think the OS only works with Samsung's SSDs if i remember correctly. Trying to find a work around could be very well impossible.

They do this for a reason though, they figure they only want the hardware THEY choose, so someones bad hardware doesn't show their OS in a bad light. It's a way to control the overall quality of your product. It's sort of a cheap way to make your product look better in comparison to others.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

They are not double the price, however they are a lot more expensive and sometimes it's pretty darn close to double. 

Example 1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883155739 , doesn't come with a screen but it's cheap enough to be able to afford a screen just as good as any apple computer and still be cheaper.

Example 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220347 , again no screen, but still cheap enough to get you one of same quality as the apple and still be below $2000.

Still not half of Mac's price

These 2 examples are probably not even the best examples, it's not like I actually went looking. You could probably even find better deals.

As for building a computer, why wouldn't that be included? You can't just discount that like it doesn't exist just to benefit your argument which totally failed btw.

So what you are trying to say then is that custom build computer is much cheaper than computer from manufacturer (regardless if it's Apple or any other). Nothing new here, move along.

As for why Apple doesn't sell their OS, it's because the OS works for very specific hardware that Apple approves. You can't just install it on any system. Such as, I think the OS only works with Samsung's SSDs if i remember correctly. Trying to find a work around could be very well impossible.

Get you facts straight and read about XNU and Darwin and on what hardware they run. Also try to find out something about osx86 project. The only real limit is cpu (no AMD support). Ok, OS X may not support old DDR memories and in general 10 years old hardware.

They do this for a reason though, they figure they only want the hardware THEY choose, so someones bad hardware doesn't show their OS in a bad light. It's a way to control the overall quality of your product. It's sort of a cheap way to make your product look better in comparison to others.

Android devices, BSD systems (most likely OpenBSD or FreeBSD), Linux based systems are the best to support this thesis. There are some other arguments regarding control and why only on hardware they sell that sound actually right. But this one has really little sense - limiting copies sold to ppl don't find bugs or what?:D

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
    noWeight

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP, if you already have a mac then go for it on a mac unless you want to buy the console anyways. If you dont own a mac then ill recommend the console version anyways. Its not worth the price of a mac just to play a game that clearly doesnt need that much money invested on hardware  to run properly.

I personally will get the PS4 version because its action combat, but if i had to choose a computer version alternative to windows i would make the game work on Linux instead of getting a mac.

EDIT: FF14ARR is cross platform between PS3 and PC. I really hope Zenimax is smart enough to do the same thing with cross platform.

Originally posted by alterfenix

Still not half of Mac's price

So what you are trying to say then is that custom build computer is much cheaper than computer from manufacturer (regardless if it's Apple or any other). Nothing new here, move along.

Get you facts straight and read about XNU and Darwin and on what hardware they run. Also try to find out something about osx86 project. The only real limit is cpu (no AMD support). Ok, OS X may not support old DDR memories and in general 10 years old hardware.

Android devices, BSD systems (most likely OpenBSD or FreeBSD), Linux based systems are the best to support this thesis. There are some other arguments regarding control and why only on hardware they sell that sound actually right. But this one has really little sense - limiting copies sold to ppl don't find bugs or what?:D

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
    noWeight

The funny thing is, you didn't even prove me wrong. You tell me to get my facts straight and then pretty much explain that I was correct. Sure i do not know the specifics, but I really didn't say anything wrong at all here.

"The only real limit is cpu." That is still a limit, and a very specific set of hardware. Meaning you technically just agreed.

"So what you are trying to say then is that custom build computer is much cheaper than computer from manufacturer (regardless if it's Apple or any other). Nothing new here, move along."

No duh. It exists, so why discount it? Again my statement is still true. >.> I really don't know what you are trying to prove here. Think you need to read what the last person said and why I mentioned that because it seems you didn't. You pretty much read my comment with out even reading who I was responding too. Good job!

I said "They are not double the price." 

You said "Still not half of Mac's price"

Good job once again agreeing with me! Again, wow. At this very moment in time I am just shaking my head back and fourth wondering if you even realize you just made yourself look very silly.

If you are going to disagree, at least actually do so. Saying you disagree and then saying the same thing I pretty much did, just doesn't make sense. Are you agreeing or disagreeing, make up your mind o.o