Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Racial & Guild Skills

2»

Comments

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

cant w8 to see everybody as a werewolf-vampire and nobody using first person view ( why i would gimp myself), prepare to meet a lot of Edwards and the imature 13 years ol kid as the emperor pwnyou.

Already prepared after having been deluged by the recent waves of female characters in mmo's named "khaleesi" or some variant thereof.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
     this game better be fun in Cyrodiil

gameplay > graphics

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    The more that racial skills matter the more that race locks on factions seems like an issue.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    The more that racial skills matter the more that race locks on factions seems like an issue.

You say issue, I say feature.

One of the things I always liked about DAoC (that WAR tried to copy...but badly) is some uniqueness for the different factions. Even WOW did that in the vanilla days: e.g. only Alliance could have Paladins and only Horde could have Shaman.

I like that and miss the variety and distinct flavor each side had. I wish they would go further and make them even more different.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

The problem is, the races skills aren't going to be equal and with its pvp focus people will go for the best race/faction combo.  This creates faction unbalances and a host of other problems.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

The problem is, the races skills aren't going to be equal and with its pvp focus people will go for the best race/faction combo.  This creates faction unbalances and a host of other problems.

So making a dark elf necromancer would be better than a dwarf necromance.. Something like that?  I dont see the problem there.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Must be a modern day problem because in the old days those differences existed and people had more of a sense of having fun in games than to just go blindly following the herd to whichever alliance was declared most uber on reddit.

In DAoC I played a Theurgist in Albion - neither Hibernia nor Midgard had a class that was in any way like my class. That was a good thing and part of what gave Albion an identity that wasn't just a cookie cutter version of Midgard with new clothes.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by zellmer

That crowd..

"Fast travel"

WHOOOOO

"Easy weapon switching"

WHOOOOO

"Grass on the ground"

WHOOOOOOOO

Jesus, lol.

THIS hahahaha

I probably wont be playing because its softlock.  Skyrim was never softlock and I could shoot any arrow as far as I wanted and snipe a headshot.  That's the kind of MMO combat I want.   Darkfall Online 1 did it.  Why cant anyone else?

Although Firefall Online has also don't it pretty well.  Long distant Headshot ftw. 

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    raids is NOT a wow term is a everquest term
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

"Oh, and one last thing.  If you listen to the video above, you might have heard something said in a very public setting that’s only been teased before: Werewolves and Vampires will be in Elder Scrolls Online, and even they will get their own skill trees should you choose to become one.  I wonder if they’ll let us be both?  I hope so..."

Nothing new in this post if you have been keeping up with the information releases.

BTW you cannot be a Vampire and a Wearwolf at the same time.

Ratero.

• MMOrtyMMOrty Member Posts: 13

My other concern is the Vampire and Werewolf ... If there is any advantage in becoming either, players will feel forced to do one or the other in order to compete.

I am still excited to play this game.  Beta was awesome.  I just wonder what they will do about people feeling forced to become a Vampire or Werewolf just so they can compete in PVP.

• PinkpuncherPinkpuncher Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by newbinator
    I don't know that I'll play TESO (well, if it's F2P I will), but having racial skills that actually matter is very appealing to me. Too many games these days seem to make races just an aesthetic choice... which I find incredibly boring.

I'd rather this be P2P or Pay once like GW2's model, not both or F2P. Reason being is that I'm more comfortable playing a game where I know the dev team is getting paid for their work and not just hoping they might, but not out-right stealing from me.

Some subscription modeled games that turned F2P, turned F2P, because they were losing money and needs that income to fund their team and the game. ESO wont be that game IMO because:

1. Its a brand. Elder scroll is not just a title anymore, its a franchise with huge enough fanbase, and with that fanbase comes word of mouth. Also, with the release of skyrim on 2011 it caught even the casual gamers. Gamers = players = money, simple.

2. Mature community. Lets face it, the last thing we want is baby sitting a raid member because they can't straight up act mature and do their roles. Also, this is ESO, under aged should not even be playing this, or atleast have someone decent to parent them  -- this should atleast give/teach them idea on how to play as a community.

3. Zenimax. The Publisher, with a huge publisher like them, its all about fixed income. They would want to know when they get paid and how much. They can still put micro transaction here for their variable income -- as long as its not on subscription models because thats just stealing.

Now, all this is My speculation and hopes, some of what I wrote my be conflicting but to sum things up: I'm pro "pay once to play" with microtransaction or subscription without microtransaction. I'm not full-on aginst F2P,if its there for free why not, but if they can miss it totaly that would be just fine. Basically, all this comes down to is content, content, and more, content.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    Wow, what a bunch of jaded gamers. Too many game choices, I guess. Jeez, this game is way in the future. Everything is still being planned, nothing probably set in stone.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    No pve raiding in this so don't see the point of all this customisation if all that's gonna happen at the end game is people looking at each and talking.

Otherwise this would have been a super game.

All these developers will realise how costly having no raids is at end game.

This game would have had an extra huge following only if it had end game. Oh well another one walks on by.

Considering that the percentage of hardcore raiders in mmo is under 10%, I really don't think it's going to hurt them much not having huge raids them.  Seems everyone feels that whatever they enjoy the mass majority of the human population also does, and that if a game doesn't have it it's doomed to failure.

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

This is not WoW arena PvP...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Still sad that the magic schools arent available to all classes

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• maciopamaciopa Member CommonPosts: 49
    The character development in the whole Elder Scrolls' Serie allows for FREE (unhindered) customization of skill sets (my personal choice is always a variation of a spellsword class) without that functionality the online version will not attract people addicted to the Elder Scrolls theme. 
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Meh, I hate the trend MMO's are going with limited skillbars/hotbars. What's the use of having all those skills if you can't use them in a fight at-will? So what if I'd only use some skills in certain situations, I'd still like to have the option to use them. I'd love to be able to throw a spell out to pull a mob, use some weapon skills on it, vamp or werewolf out while doing so, using a racial/class/guild ability, and have some utility spells such as some buffs, cc, featherfall, and light to illuminate dark areas. Looks like I'm probably going to have to bow out of this generation of MMO's. I really want to play one too. I haven't played a MMORPG in so long.
  • SilynseSilynse Member UncommonPosts: 19

Honestly im not concerned with the character development. After watching this, and reading and listening to several articles now, my concerns are now with the game itself. A few articles ago they talked about being able to be a part of more than one guild. there starts the HORRID idea. Takes away from immersion and leaves the player with the ability to ally with FIVE groups of players and no commitment to any one cause as a purpose.

NOW, they show us a choppy video. Animations do not look very smooth for a game of this caliber. The players character movement isn't smoth, the skeleton and animation for the legs and arms while running and walking look like they were done in a night of drinking and card games...   the horse riding was choppy and the animal itself looked like it had only a hand full of animations to run forward and even less to illustrate the animation of turning while riding.  EMBARSSING. The mouth animations for the voice acting looked like puppeteers were sitting behind them moving the mouths up and down.

They bring in FAST TRAVEL... ok wtf is that. In elder scrolls you have fast travel, and it takes account the HOURS TRAVELED.....  you cant do that in an MMO, so DONT HAVE IT!  This game is just gonna let you zoom around all over the map.... Free travel to old dungeons, free travel to old areas?  no no no. Force the community to work together, travel together for safety. Force the gamers to use their mounts and their abilities to LIVE in this world!!!!  Might as well just bust out the instant ques for dungeons.

So combining this with the ability to be in five guilds, now we are not only making the world of ESO totally pointless to travel in other than to get to the next quest point, but you are also allowing to much freedom in guild selection and cause, and the ESO team have clearly spent a ton of time NOT allowing for character customization from the looks of the character. The UI for character customization creation looked like a body morph triangle you had on LOTR or AION....

This has got to be a joke. These guys have, in their hands, one of the largest and most beloved franchises in the entire gaming community EVER, and they are butchering it with unoriginal ideas, copy paste travel tactics, choppy animations, and a complete lack of respect and foresight for the gamers of the world when they throw this shit up there and try to make it look so impressive... "Oooo wow look, the character crouched!" Someone shoulda thrown a frigging pie at these guys up on stage. Goofy, richboys with no personality and a superiority complex so bad they probably fired anyone on their team that had orginal ideas so that they themselves didn't get tossed to the curb like the trash VP's and devs they are.

The gaming industry is crap as of the last 7 years, these guys are a part of that trend. Take a good hard look. Their company and all of them are responsible for some of the biggets letdowns in gaming history. Lets hope they get their heads out of their asses and do something right after launch, because this game as it appears right now, is going to be another throw away in 6 months. Youll be seeing it on MMORPG.com again in 18 months, "What happened to ESO? What can we learn?" Itll follow in the footsteps of Connan. And its a god damn shame because this could have been something amazing. This day juts became depressing as hell. Some more fools in this industry will make millions, and we are the idiots who are gonna support them. Someone should take these guys out and hang them so we can end their need to use up our oxygen. Its really sad, and I hope Bethesda will learn a hard lesson from it.

• CuningasCuningas Member UncommonPosts: 48

Blaa blaa blaa... So much ranting over nothing.

It will be a great game, at least for us TES people. I don't like MMO players generally, they just cry & whine...

If you don't like it, don't play it, don't write about it, just walk away. We won't miss you. You are not special, and the game will do fine without you überMMOgamer #xyz...

For those coming from single player games and especially from TES series this will be a great introduction to multiplayer gaming. Let's just hope that WoW generation of MMO gamers keeps away from this... Go ruin EQN of some else game...

PS. This is post is not aimed for the guy above, but for all the cryers & whiners of the MMO family... Nothing personal.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

I hope its a hard process to become either a vampire or werewolf..so much that not everyone will be able to complete the process. Few even...and even if you do it right there is only a chance to become one. Other wise everyone will be running around as a creature of the night ffs. Another thing...please don't allow a player to be both. This isn't world of darkness. No abominations here please. That's just a bit much.

Oh...and please don't let us purchase the "Vampire" or "Werewolf" conditions from a cash shop...Or anything for that matter.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Filosofi

Blaa blaa blaa... So much ranting over nothing.

It will be a great game, at least for us TES people. I don't like MMO players generally, they just cry & whine...

Not according to many in beta. It lacks all the depth of story and combat of TES games and it lacks the depth of most MMO factors. Now add to that the combat animations of a Funcom game that isn't called AoC and you have one real winner here. lol...

And a REMINDER, at Pax they tried to distance themselves as much as possible from being an actual MMO for a reason. They are trying to make nothing more than a persistent world TES game, not an actual MMO...too bad they did that spin deep into development long after trying to make a DaoC with the TES name. Being built around that PvP system FUBARed the game because now it isn't going to be a good MMO or TES game.

This is going to be another SWTOR only with worse graphics...they are not even close to Skyrim level of graphics, doesn't even look on par with Oblivions. Just another sad money grab.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by SoulStain

I hope its a hard process to become either a vampire or werewolf..so much that not everyone will be able to complete the process. Few even...and even if you do it right there is only a chance to become one. Other wise everyone will be running around as a creature of the night ffs. Another thing...please don't allow a player to be both. This isn't world of darkness. No abominations here please. That's just a bit much.

Oh...and please don't let us purchase the "Vampire" or "Werewolf" conditions from a cash shop...Or anything for that matter.

they dont fuking care, investor A: Vampires and Werewolfs are cool and make a lot of money Investor B: agreed make them accessible to everybody so they can feel they the cool hero savior of the world.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
     It's sad for me to say this, as much as I enjoyed Skyrim, but Bethesda are releasing way too much information way too soon on this game.  I'm pretty sure Blizzard and their top secret Titan Project will steal the show and take WoW's crown of the top MMO of all time away just to be kept within Blizzard.   Sometimes discretion and secrecy can do way more good then harm. I'm pretty sure GW2 would of been a lot more popular if they haven't started releasing previews and such 3-4 years before it released.  What good is a hype if 60% of the player base leaves the game within 2-3 months of release? Sure GW2 might be the fastest selling MMO of all time, but how many of them are still playing after a year of release?  A game like WoW that has been online for nearly 10 years is quite normal to see a decline in player base.  But when the decline is greater on a 1 year old title, then something went wrong and wasn't done right.   And I remember WoW when it released, not much information was out about it, it just jumped into shelves and people started buying it and sharing it with friends until WoW is where it's at today.  Nothing WOW's better then a huge surprise and Titan Project will most likely hit shelves before we even know it and will become the next big hit to replace WoW.   As much as I'd want to like this Online Elder Scrolls, I have way too many doubts about it's direction, especially the one where it will be available on console.  Only on release day will it prove me right or wrong, until then I'll live with my doubts about this title.
  • Merlin73Merlin73 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by MMOrty

My other concern is the Vampire and Werewolf ... If there is any advantage in becoming either, players will feel forced to do one or the other in order to compete.

I am still excited to play this game.  Beta was awesome.  I just wonder what they will do about people feeling forced to become a Vampire or Werewolf just so they can compete in PVP.

I like the idea of keeping Vamp's and Were's distinct and mutually exclusive for flavour reasons but your concern is a good one.

I think this could be countered by having both offer some fairly significant restrictions and downsides. I.E Vamps can't use healing magics, Were's can't equip metal Armors.

In this case you would choose one or the other to become more fine tuned as a character to a specific role but lose a lot of the versatility you would have had being neither.

P.S. To people saying no Raids = No end game content - that's a bit of a stretch. End game content does not have to involve 10 people loot grinding tokens or gear from 5 or 6 bosses in 3 or 4 dungeons 3 to 5 nights a week.

I'm very excited about this game. I really like the initial character customisation in the vid.