Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dave Georgeson says resist the comparisons between EQN & GW2

Comments

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by Victor_Kruger
    Originally posted by Azoth

They don't even know if they will have more than 1 starting area yet and you expect em to know about important stuff ?

He is asking for help to the PR team ... big evasive response coming soon.

That is pretty much it. The fact that SOE has nothing ready to dispute the GW2 claims really says a lot. They were not expecting such a huge backlash. They are scrambling for answers now.

Sorry there is no huge backlash outside of a few angry eq vets that didn't like what they saw. The press has been good about the game, everquest is gettting its name known again to mmo players. The round table forums are non stop with eq players talking about what they want to see in the game. 

The hype is dropping like a rock since the announcement and its only been a couple weeks. Believe what you want but t here are a lot more people put off by EQnext then you realize. Heck, this forum alone is incredibly slow now compared to what it was before the announcement. 

From what I have seen about EQNext and the 'haters' is, most of them come from mmorpg.com. This is the Mos Eisley of the mmo genre. The hype meter here means very little.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

They don't even know if they will have more than 1 starting area yet and you expect em to know about important stuff ?

That is pretty much it. The fact that SOE has nothing ready to dispute the GW2 claims really says a lot. They were not expecting such a huge backlash. They are scrambling for answers now.

Sorry there is no huge backlash outside of a few angry eq vets that didn't like what they saw. The press has been good about the game, everquest is gettting its name known again to mmo players. The round table forums are non stop with eq players talking about what they want to see in the game. 

The hype is dropping like a rock since the announcement and its only been a couple weeks. Believe what you want but t here are a lot more people put off by EQnext then you realize. Heck, this forum alone is incredibly slow now compared to what it was before the announcement. 

Posts have more than doubled since reveal. So I have to disagree. Hype meter means nothing. Someone that hates SOE or just like voting could do 0 or 10 without any reasoning. Look at all the other games rising without any new news...hype is meaningless unless you put your faith in hype. 

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Allein

Or they weren't expecting people to be so closed minded that seeing anything remotely similar to another game is instant clone/copying and have a reveal plan from SoE Live until they actually release the game. They didnt have to release any info, they could of waited 6 month or 2 years, wouldn't of made a huge difference. I'm pretty sure they aren't fracking out trying how to handle all whe complainers. We will get more info over the next couple weka from 2 more gaming events and I'm sure it will keep on coming. No reason for them to show their full hand just to please those without any patience.

SOE showed GW2 gameplay. There is nothing close minded about it. If they didn't want comparisons then SOE should not have shown that. I find it odd that people would rather "hope" for something that wasn't shown rather than take what was shown and believe that is what we are going to get until proven otherwise.

What are you talking about? We haven't even seen the AI in action yet. That "boss" was controlled by a dev. The kobolds just moved in a straight line or stayed completely still.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Or they weren't expecting people to be so closed minded that seeing anything remotely similar to another game is instant clone/copying and have a reveal plan from SoE Live until they actually release the game. They didnt have to release any info, they could of waited 6 month or 2 years, wouldn't of made a huge difference. I'm pretty sure they aren't fracking out trying how to handle all whe complainers. We will get more info over the next couple weka from 2 more gaming events and I'm sure it will keep on coming. No reason for them to show their full hand just to please those without any patience.

SOE showed GW2 gameplay. There is nothing close minded about it. If they didn't want comparisons then SOE should not have shown that. I find it odd that people would rather "hope" for something that wasn't shown rather than take what was shown and believe that is what we are going to get until proven otherwise.

Showed a handful of skills all completely different then GW2 and no UI. GW2 did not invent action combat. It might be the most popular current mmorpg with it, but it is not unique in gaming or mmos. Can you give some detail how it was GW2 gameplay beyond a hitting mobs and they died? They've said there will be some sort of energy/stamina system to add another layer to combat (assuming no cool downs like GW2) but again they will release more info as time progresses to keep those that actually want to play, entertained until release. I'm surprised people aren't saying the caster spells aren't from WoW...omg EQN has spells! Must be copying WoW or EQ or every other mmorpg...

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

"Do not worry, its only the very vocal minority of EQ vets that feel this way."

"Combat will be amazing without roles, and nothing like GW2."

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Dullahan

lol. yeah

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280

There are combat roles go read about it on EQ Next Reddit.

There are combat roles go read about it on EQ Next Reddit.

It's a good read, and I think it does help to explain what their basic philosophy is. It also got me thinking about how this could be more like PnP combat, where your position and activities are the most important things that determine the way the fight resolves.

For instance, you should move with your warriors in the front, and let them attack first if you are fighting mobs that tend to want to melee. When your mages and archers start to fight, make sure that they can be protected by melee types by watching where you are fighting (don't attack mobs from behind as warrior cannot easily interpose themselves and interrupt).

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60

The parallels here are inevitable. The GW2 hype train has now officially changed tracks and is steaming towards EQN release date. The notion that before now and release of EQN all the GW2 mega troll/fan posts can be reincarnated word for word makes me somewhat quesy. 

I really wish that game development was as EZ as game marketing and hype creation. 

My 2 c. 

It's a good read, and I think it does help to explain what their basic philosophy is. It also got me thinking about how this could be more like PnP combat, where your position and activities are the most important things that determine the way the fight resolves.

For instance, you should move with your warriors in the front, and let them attack first if you are fighting mobs that tend to want to melee. When your mages and archers start to fight, make sure that they can be protected by melee types by watching where you are fighting (don't attack mobs from behind as warrior cannot easily interpose themselves and interrupt).

Yeah muti layer terrain will be a huge factor in group tactics, tanking will be a lot more proactive as you have to bottle neck mobs in contained areas and make sure they cant get past you. You also have to be sure that the wizard player doesn't blow out the floor beneath the tanking players feet, there is going to be a lot to think about during a fight.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    If the shoe fits...

One of the biggest things they have to do to avoid GW2 combat is to make sure the Time To Kill is not so fast and constant. GW2 is a PvP game at it's heart, so combat is reflective in this in the homogeneity of damage flow, and the fast pace of that flow (DPS).

This is one of the reasons why the game fails to engage many PvE Tab Target Trinity type players: all characters seem to perform similarly, all characters die fast.

Giving the ability for armor to mitigate, for healing to be effective, and for interrupts to thwart Mob DPS will be essential for EQN to differentiate itself from GW2.

IF you are not just attempting to zerg mobs, and are using your position and abilities, you should not be dying in 1.5 seconds. That happens in GW2 in heavy combat situations and the result is just more rezing without any real effect other than to delay the player from continuing play. This results in many of the harder fighting situations being frustrating and unrewarding. It also has the effect of making easier fights seem to be out of place by contrast. In short GW2 often fails to find medium grade fights where you felt challenged, but prevailed through the build of your character.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by ignore_me

(GW2) combat is reflective in this in the homogeneity of damage flow, and the fast pace of that flow (DPS).

SOE did say support roles would be recognized / rewarded -- whatever that means

http://www.eqnexus.com/forums/threads/class-system.517/

How do you see support or defensive oriented characters working in that situation, and will the game recognize their contribution, and if so, how?

Yes. It absolutely will. These guys have come up with some great ideas on just how we can recognize and reward that sort of support and those roles in combat and non-combat situations.

Originally posted by Nadia

(GW2) combat is reflective in this in the homogeneity of damage flow, and the fast pace of that flow (DPS).

How do you see support or defensive oriented characters working in that situation, and will the game recognize their contribution, and if so, how?

Yes. It absolutely will. These guys have come up with some great ideas on just how we can recognize and reward that sort of support and those roles in combat and non-combat situations.

good call. Another promising quote was when they said they are more interested in fun than balancing classes.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

good call. Another promising quote was when they said they are more interested in fun than balancing classes.

Agreed. Hopefully pvp wont homogenize classes in this game due to "Balancing" as it has in other MMOs who attempt to make pvp as important as pve in pve based games.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Originally posted by Tygranir

Agreed. Hopefully pvp wont homogenize classes in this game due to "Balancing" as it has in other MMOs who attempt to make pvp as important as pve in pve based games.

If the A.I is as smart as they are claiming they wont have too change anything because pvp and pve will work the same way, the mobs will react to what you are doing like players would in pvp. I seen this done in firefall where players who run into chosen(the main badguy in the game) for the first time and think that its other players shooting at them because how the chosen react to them moving and shooting like players would.

If the A.I is as smart as they are claiming they wont have too change anything because pvp and pve will work the same way, the mobs will react to what you are doing like players would in pvp. I seen this done in firefall where players who run into chosen(the main badguy in the game) for the first time and think that its other players shooting at them because how the chosen react to them moving and shooting like players would.

The non-FPS MMOs I have liked the most have been the ones the least balanced for PvP. There is a sameness that results in balancing that makes class building boring and useless. They referred to multi-classing as crafting yourself. I really hope they mean that. Let me make shit builds, let me make niche builds, let me discover great combinations. I don't like FOTM, but I like it better than forced mediocrity and no hope of finding different gameplay from another class combo.

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by Iadien

What are you talking about? We haven't even seen the AI in action yet. That "boss" was controlled by a dev. The kobolds just moved in a straight line or stayed completely still.

Okay. I have this ocean front property in Arizona, guy wrote a song about it. I'd like to sell it to you. I know it looks like desert but they haven't installed the water yet! Just give it time! Don't be closed minded!

Wow that is a rather mean thing to say.  I agree with the person before you.  They created a demonstration to show off destructibility in the world w/ particle effects.  Not the game mechanics or systems.  Those exist too, they have just not been finalized and shown off by the dev team.

It seems like you're saying that they will never be able to achieve what they are promising and will just fail, in any case.

The non-FPS MMOs I have liked the most have been the ones the least balanced for PvP. There is a sameness that results in balancing that makes class building boring and useless. They referred to multi-classing as crafting yourself. I really hope they mean that. Let me make shit builds, let me make niche builds, let me discover great combinations. I don't like FOTM, but I like it better than forced mediocrity and no hope of finding different gameplay from another class combo.

I don't think they a going to cater to balancing pvp for 1v1's or instance arena's, but the abilities given to players and the tactics to use on mobs and other players wont be much different. There going to be a lot different builds and class combos for pve , as im sure mobs will be varied and require different ways to beat them. In my opinion there should only be world pvp that is meaningful to the sandbox for those who want too pvp. When instance battlegrounds and arenas enter the picture that when the trouble starts between pve and pvp balancing.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

By looking at the combat videos on youtube, combat looks too slow for my taste. I don't know if they slowed it down because of showing off skills etc, but even when EQN devs played live it looked a bit slow paced.

I can see that the combat looks more like a moba, which is good if you want good teamplay. So it can be really good actually.

I

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Please forget pvp . There are 100+ mmos geared up for just mindless button bashing pvp. It's the most tactless skilless no brainer type of combat. Nothing next gen about it.

Lets hope EQnext brings out the next phase of intelligent pve. Please.

Most people who think PVP is nothing more than button-mashing don't seem to like PVP, I wonder why that is...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Please forget pvp . There are 100+ mmos geared up for just mindless button bashing pvp. It's the most tactless skilless no brainer type of combat. Nothing next gen about it.

Lets hope EQnext brings out the next phase of intelligent pve. Please.

Most people who think PVP is nothing more than button-mashing don't seem to like PVP, I wonder why that is...

because they can have an opinion that to then is 100% correct and valid. just as another person can totally disagree and also be 100% correct and valid...opinions are wonderfully lacking in the need to have any justification.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Let's hope the game is as polished and well running as GW2 at least, no matter what you think about the other parts.

At the worst day in GW2 I still get better FPS then in the best day on EQ2.

And of course he protests, did any game like hearing that they were similar to Wow or EQ?

I like GW2 but I still hope SOE can deliver a very different game experience. There is already a GW2 as there already is a Wow. No need to remake them, that is a sure way to fail. A MMO needs to deliver something different then the rest if it wants to do well.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

wish i could compare this to everquest :(

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    What a tech demo with only 2 classes and 3 skills each fighting Mobs with no AI isn't representative of the final games combat and can't be used to compare to a released game?How dare you SOE!!!!!