Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Racial & Guild Skills

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bethesda was on hand recently at QuakeCon. Among other things, the team presented a terrific new video from Elder Scrolls Online. We took a close look at the video and found out some pretty awesome information about how players will level up both racial and guild skills in the game. See what we discovered before heading to the comments to chat.

That’s right, as if you didn’t already have enough choices to worry about in ESO, it was highlighted at the recent QuakeCon that your race will play a significant role in your character building as well. Each race, from Nord to Breton will have its own skill tree tied directly to its chosen race.  Granted, you catch a glimpse of the tree at 8:30 into the video below, and the Dark Elf tree doesn’t look too in depth. Still, I count four distinct class skills to level, plus one ultimate ability to wield that only Dark Elves will have access to.  

Read more of Bill Murphy's Elder Scrolls Online: Racial & Guild Skills.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Next to useless article, no new or in depth info about the guild/racial skills...
  • ivaylo1981ivaylo1981 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    pff borring :(
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I don't know that I'll play TESO (well, if it's F2P I will), but having racial skills that actually matter is very appealing to me. Too many games these days seem to make races just an aesthetic choice... which I find incredibly boring.
  • ZelonZelon Member Posts: 7
    Pffff my good god.We have Raids but they call them 'adventure zone' 24players
    Is a video man
    Every races has his own skill lines and bonuses
  • nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167
    Hmmmm, seems like a never-ending skill grind. I think the game will be fun for a bit, but then it will get old. There's just no level of impact on the environment by players from everything I've seen. And PvP will be like Guild Wars 2, with nobody decisively accomplishing anything. More and more, this game looks uninspired :(
  • Pirhana7Pirhana7 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by nightfallrob
    Hmmmm, seems like a never-ending skill grind. I think the game will be fun for a bit, but then it will get old. There's just no level of impact on the environment by players from everything I've seen. And PvP will be like Guild Wars 2, with nobody decisively accomplishing anything. More and more, this game looks uninspired :(

Its not like GW2  PVP system.  Its following Darkage of Camelots PVP system which is very different and actually has purpose and a reason to fight and protect your lands.

The lands are actaully divided and you have to protect yours while trying to invade the enemies, there is also towns with quests, and dungeons to go in and fight over.  there is also a progression system to let you keep building your character long after max level.

1)We have achievements

2)You have a really sad live bro :(

Originally posted by Vivasvan
    No pve raiding in this so don't see the point of all this customisation if all that's gonna happen at the end game is people looking at each and talking.

Otherwise this would have been a super game.

All these developers will realise how costly having no raids is at end game.

This game would have had an extra huge following only if it had end game. Oh well another one walks on by.

Its has something similiar to raids but they are not calling it that because that is a WoW term.  This is an elder scrolls game.  Also the endgame focus revolves around the alliance war in Cyrodiil.  Its not just keep sieges but actually fighting over lands, PVE, dungeons and relics.  there is also a progression system to let you keep building your character long after max level.  it is following Darkage of Camelot's Endgame system which people have been wanting.

• mhexmhex Member Posts: 29
    Just hoping the combat won't be too simplistic and with no strategy involved at all.. that's my real concern at this point
  • LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    GIVE ME some new info. Please
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Is there any place that has all the racials posted yet?
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    No pve raiding in this so don't see the point of all this customisation if all that's gonna happen at the end game is people looking at each and talking.

This game would have had an extra huge following only if it had end game. Oh well another one walks on by.

It has raids.  They are just not called raids.  They are called Adventure zones and are large-group PvE end-game content with multiple bosses and branching story-lines.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Nothing you said is even remotely true so why are you saying it? Why are you spreading disinformation?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Actually it should take more skill than other MMOs, especially in PVP,  You have active blocking and power attacks.  Its all about timing and counter attacking.  there are no cooldowns you need to manage your stamina and magika bars and know when save it or unload it.  there is also a finess system that lets you build and unleash your ultimate, these are "fight changer" abiliies
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I read that as... "Hi, I'm a voxelphile and I only have room in my head for one MMO at a time."

The "more and more" part...you're new to the party aren't you? The "new" things Bill talks about in the article you simply dismiss as "never-ending grind" and the things you criticize we have known for 6 months to a year...so what is this "more and more" you speak of?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Pirhana7

Its has something similiar to raids but they are not calling it that because that is a WoW term.  This is an elder scrolls game.  Also the endgame focus revolves around the alliance war in Cyrodiil.  Its not just keep sieges but actually fighting over lands, PVE, dungeons and relics.  there is also a progression system to let you keep building your character long after max level.  it is following Darkage of Camelot's Endgame system which people have been wanting.

"Raids" isnt a wow term.....

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    I thought this was going to be a detailed list of the racial and guild skills.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

I feel most of the comments here are made by people who didnt watch the video or much of it :P.

I was somewhat impressed with the combat, world, pve etc...i mean its not that far off from skyrim and appears to be very flexible in what you choose to do, like all TES games.

It might not be a sandbox, but it looks like it will be fun.

I think MMO gamers just love to post negativity all the time, i mean what games out there actually interest you guys? lol

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

That crowd..

"Fast travel"

WHOOOOO

"Easy weapon switching"

WHOOOOO

"Grass on the ground"

WHOOOOOOOO

Jesus, lol.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

A lot of childish posts here with people who have no clue what they are talking about. Anyway, good article teasing just how diverse a characters build can be, much more diverse than just about any MMO available today whether these people admit it or not. When I played Guild Wars 2, which I liked, one thing that it suffered from was a feeling that you weren't progressing because it gave you most of your prime skills right away and the points you get really weren't all that exciting or enough toward the later levels. This game allows you to raise skills in just about everything and  allows you to basically play any play style you want.

People should be excited about this, not troll post. Whats funny is that some of them are begging for more info or criticizing for what they perceive as lack of info, but then salivate over EQnext where they have basically seen zero proof of anything, just concepts. Amazing lol.

Oh boy, we can change the whole world.../polymorphs out of sheep form back to reality....I'll believe it when I see it, even though I'm excited about that game.

By the way, regarding Vampire and Werewolf form at the same time, The Vampire Diaries allows for it. Why not this game? hehehe.

There Is Always Hope!

• MMOrtyMMOrty Member Posts: 13

My only concern is that everyone will eventually be the same toon with the same skills.  Who wouldn't eventually train in healing, nuking, fighting, bow ... if you can.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but you would be limiting yourself if you didn't train in everything eventually, so there will be a LOT of people in the end game with the exact same skills.

Am I wrong?  I am hoping to stir up good conversation, because I am a little worried.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by MMOrty

My only concern is that everyone will eventually be the same toon with the same skills.  Who wouldn't eventually train in healing, nuking, fighting, bow ... if you can.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but you would be limiting yourself if you didn't train in everything eventually, so there will be a LOT of people in the end game with the exact same skills.

Am I wrong?  I am hoping to stir up good conversation, because I am a little worried.

Yes you can eventually have access to all the skills, but you can only have so many active at one time, and they have stated some skill trees are mutually exclusive.  You can only have two sets of weapons available during any one combat sequence as well.  You also can morph skills to alter their affects as well.  It is more about how you combine the skills you have access to, on top of how you use them.  I fail to see how more options and freedom are a bad thing to some people.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by keithian

A lot of childish posts here with people who have no clue what they are talking about. Anyway, good article teasing just how diverse a characters build can be, much more diverse than just about any MMO available today whether these people admit it or not. When I played Guild Wars 2, which I liked, one thing that it suffered from was a feeling that you weren't progressing because it gave you most of your prime skills right away and the points you get really weren't all that exciting or enough toward the later levels. This game allows you to raise skills in just about everything and  allows you to basically play any play style you want.

People should be excited about this, not troll post. Whats funny is that some of them are begging for more info or criticizing for what they perceive as lack of info, but then salivate over EQnext where they have basically seen zero proof of anything, just concepts. Amazing lol.

Oh boy, we can change the whole world.../polymorphs out of sheep form back to reality....I'll believe it when I see it, even though I'm excited about that game.

By the way, regarding Vampire and Werewolf form at the same time, The Vampire Diaries allows for it. Why not this game? hehehe.

cant w8 to see everybody as a werewolf-vampire and nobody using first person view ( why i would gimp myself), prepare to meet a lot of Edwards and the imature 13 years ol kid as the emperor pwnyou.