Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why cant we have casual and hardcore servers?

rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371

why cant there be Hardcore servers and Casual servers?

i dont understand why we cant have hardcore servers and let casuals play with other casuals..

ok you might have to make 2 diff patches for the 2 diff servers , for example casual servers might have a patch one day  with nerfs to difficulty etc , where as hardcore servers wont,

hardcore servers might not have x realm as where casual servers do etc ...you get what im saying 

why hasnt this been done in any mmo yet? :S

there is always whining about casuals ruining mmos, or hardcores wanting harder content etc 

i guess its too much work  to implement :(

edit. I'm not against casuals or anything i would just like to play a game that doesnt end up like wow, there is no denying casuals  ruined that game for hardcores ,..well blizz ruined it mostly ^ but wow is about as hardcore as hello kitty online now

Comments

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I agreed 1000%. I drives me nuts that games do use servers to put like minded players together. You could have a server where there is no LFG tool, a server where everything is soloable and a server where nothing is soloable. There are so many options. In a game that launches with 10 servers they could reserve 1 for solo and 1 for group only, and the rest normal.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    You already answered your own question. Because it would require alot of extra work. Plus would increase the cost. It's not as simple as you make it sound. It's the same reason games on console while not looking as good as PC. Tend to run better.  The more variations you throw into the mix the more stuff is likely to go wrong.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by Roin
    You already answered your own question. Because it would require alot of extra work. Plus would increase the cost. It's not as simple as you make it sound. It's the same reason games on console while not looking as good as PC. Tend to run better.  The more variations you throw into the mix the more stuff is likely to go wrong.

ye i guess :(

but it would be nice like someone else suggested to have different types of servers for peoples different play styles 

not just pvp and pve but somethign more specfic like casual - hardcore

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Because you make better communities when you have a mix of different players together on the same servers. Better one game for all.
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Just change the decimal point on exp gained and mobs hp (so instead of 500 exp gained it would be 50)to where you would need a group to accomplish most things.  Also make certain items available only to hardcore servers and no server transfers.  And most importantly take out the exp for completing a quest.  Whoever came up with this idea was a moron.  I shouldnt get loads of exp for doing a quest. 
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

What you're asking is for a gaming company to divide their community. Since the OP used WoW as an example let's see how character achievements being linked to forum accounts was a bad idea on Blizzard's part.

Before the WoW Armory, the wow forum community was pretty poor, but mostly tolerable. However, as soon as people could check your achievements and gear based upon which character you were posting from, that poor community got even worse. You would see crap like, "well your gearscore is below XXXX so your comments don't matter" or "you haven't even downed X boss noob, stfu", etc. There was already a division between "hardcore" and "casuals" and the Armory being tied to forum accounts made it even worse.

Imagine how much worse off the community would be, as a whole, if certain servers were listed as hardcore or casual and had different rulesets.

There's enough ways for people to try and segregate themselves from one another, why should any developer even attempt to foster such poor community interactions.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    I have to agree with kaneth. We dont want more division within the community, people will divide themselves up enough on their own wthout the devs help. Also if you want to be super hardcore only do dungeons on expert mode and nothing else problem sovled.
  • rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

This is stupid lol.

Having cross platform is enough of a headache as is.  Throwing a wrench in there on maintaining different versions would be a nightmare and use up more resources.

Amazing people are still starting topics like these all over when they have yet to even know what end game is like in ARR.  Also what end game is like on the harder difficulty.

• MedeirosANMedeirosAN Member Posts: 22
    I like having a balance of people on the class... those hardcore folks like to farm for us casual folks.  Also helps out with the economy of the game.  Please don't have seperate servers.

Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained
    Playing: None
    Played: DAOC, WAR, FFXIV, WOW, Vanguard, GW, GW2, LORTO,

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    Eh, i don't think this would be a good idea, too much segregation IMO.  Along with having extra people working on coding for different servers.  Just leave them as is and the community will be fine.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is no such thing as casual,that is a BS excuse for lazy players and impatient players.

Sure you could make two different games,but why should they,it is either FFXIV or it is NOT,you can't be two different games at the same time.

That is why we have choice,if you are looking for instant gratification,don't like to spend time in a game,don't want to earn anything,then find that game.The WORST thng a dev can do is try to cater to both,it is impossible to do that.

The very poor game design that devs have been following is create an entire game based on soloing with a VERY small portion of instance raiding.How can you expect players to perform in an alliance if 99% of their play time is easy soloing?

A game should focus on ONE aspect,PVE and grouping,or PVP and soloing or just PVE soloing or pvp  grouping.

you can't play hockey with baseball bats and tennis raquets and you can't play Tennis with hockey sticks and footballs,i wish devs would quit trying to do the impossible.Every single one of these devs are just trying to tel lthe public they have made a game that focuses on everyone so they can make more sales,it is lying and ends up with your game dying out in 2 months.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DuranuDuranu Member Posts: 21

Also, what are you using to define hardcore vs. casual?  Time played or spent in game?  Loot?  Achievements?  Some people might stay on 24/7, but might not be doing much of anything other than trying to sell loot, do single player stuff and may just enjoy socially interacting with people through chat.  Then you have the person that has a rigid work schedule and can only get on for a day or weekend, but when he's on, he's charging through like madman trying to get the best of anything and everything.  What if neither cared for achievements?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Because you make better communities when you have a mix of different players together on the same servers. Better one game for all.

This ^

The more server 'types' you throw into the mix. The more you fragment the playerbase. If you actually want to build a good community in FFXIV, then this is the last thing you want to have happen.

The few exceptions to this, are when you have game types that directly affect how others can play the game (like FFA PvP), in which case it may be necessary to fragment that part of the population, if you have a lot of fans who do not enjoy that type of gameplay.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by rush1984
    Originally posted by Roin

ye i guess :(

but it would be nice like someone else suggested to have different types of servers for peoples different play styles 

not just pvp and pve but somethign more specfic like casual - hardcore

Ok, what is the industry definitions for hardcore and casual.  Not your personal definition.  Oh wait, there isn't such a thing so your request is meaningless.  A list of specific measureable goals would be nice.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Some of the most hardcore players I have ever seen play solo, and only for small chunks of time, but when they do they try and do nearly impossible shit like solo instances or raid bosses using all kinds of tricks and wacky tactics.

Casual and Hardcore are play styles, not content types or game systems.

It's like asking for a server for "only people who play 2-10 hours a week" and calling it "casual" and not letting people log back in if they go over their 10 hours.

Or a server where you have to play at least 30 hours a week or your account is suspended and calling it a "hardcore" server.

This "debate" has been going on for a decade and you people STILL don't get it.

"Facts are only up for discussion when logical reasoning is abandoned." - annonymous

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    You know there are quite a few "hardcore" mmos out there. Why not try one of them? If you have and are not playing than maybe you don't like hardcore mmos.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Hmm, what does "hardcore" mean to you?

Would you like stronger mobs? Corpse-Runs?

Or do you just want to be together with other "hardcore" players? Why not just announce one unofficial server for this purpose?

fun fact: In WoW some "hardcore"-guilds moved away from servers with "hardcore" competition to more casual rp servers, because they knew, there they would be alone and could get all the server first kills ;)

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Some of the most hardcore players I have ever seen play solo, and only for small chunks of time, but when they do they try and do nearly impossible shit like solo instances or raid bosses using all kinds of tricks and wacky tactics.

Casual and Hardcore are play styles, not content types or game systems.

It's like asking for a server for "only people who play 2-10 hours a week" and calling it "casual" and not letting people log back in if they go over their 10 hours.

Or a server where you have to play at least 30 hours a week or your account is suspended and calling it a "hardcore" server.

This "debate" has been going on for a decade and you people STILL don't get it.

"Facts are only up for discussion when logical reasoning is abandoned." - annonymous

@BadSpock, don't laugh, I have seen people make that exact suggestion.  Limited playtime servers.  Ick.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    This thread makes me sad. I thought the FF community was above this type of petty attitude.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    This thread makes me sad. I thought the FF community was above this type of petty attitude.

It probably is, the "plow through all the content in 30 days and then rage quit and come back to MMORPG.com and QQ the game sucks has no content and demand refunds" community, however, is just starting to ramp up their FFXIV:ARR presence here.

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371

can tell just from reading these posts why it would be nice to have casual / hardcore servers 

seems half of you guys dont even know what hardcore is and keep asking me to give you a definition

we all know what casual is right? well hardcore s the opposite of that...its not rocket science

i know having a mix of people is nice yada yada   but when devs start catering for the casuals over the "hardcores" like in every mmo released the last  i dont know 7 years? or more it ruins it for those that dont like to be spoonfed.

anyway this is just going to end up casual vs hardcore thread which was not what i intended so im gonna sign off laters  gamers !!

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

People should stop using the term "hardcore" in place of "difficult".

Segregation splits the playerbase in bad ways.

The game is what it is, easy or hard, you can't really make it both modes because of the issues people have already discussed. The PvE-PvP division is bad enough.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633

why cant there be Hardcore servers and Casual servers?

i dont understand why we cant have hardcore servers and let casuals play with other casuals..

ok you might have to make 2 diff patches for the 2 diff servers , for example casual servers might have a patch one day  with nerfs to difficulty etc , where as hardcore servers wont,

hardcore servers might not have x realm as where casual servers do etc ...you get what im saying 

why hasnt this been done in any mmo yet? :S

there is always whining about casuals ruining mmos, or hardcores wanting harder content etc 

i guess its too much work  to implement :(

edit. I'm not against casuals or anything i would just like to play a game that doesnt end up like wow, there is no denying casuals  ruined that game for hardcores ,..well blizz ruined it mostly ^ but wow is about as hardcore as hello kitty online now

Because hardcore servers would be shut down in less than 3 months due to lack of pop. Also SE has stated they want this game to be accessible by all, so itll always be casual

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

can tell just from reading these posts why it would be nice to have casual / hardcore servers 

seems half of you guys dont even know what hardcore is and keep asking me to give you a definition

we all know what casual is right?

No, we don't. Everyone has their own definition of "casual" and those definitions vary from "doesn't play many hours per day" to "doesn't like grouping" to "is a complete noob".

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Yeah, after the OP's last post, I feel confident calling this a troll thread - let's go ahead and get this closed.