Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Size of The Elder Scrolls Online's World Calculated

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/16676/article/the-size-of-the-elder-scrolls-online-s-world-calculated/

I thought this was a good article. I'm sure some no matter what some will say its too small, but to me it seems more than adequate and quite large not only for PVP, but for PVE as well, especially considering the landscape itself and my experience running across zones in games like WOW, LOTRO, AOC, GW2, TOR etc.

"While most provinces are smaller than Cyrodill a rough calculation suggests navigating across the entire map - and crossing every province in the process - would take over 500 minutes or 8.3 hours. However, Cyrodiil (PVP area) is likely around 10 kilometers from east to west. suggesting you could traverse the distance from one side of the map to the other in around one hour, 45 minutes."

I am a little confused how they got from 69 minutes in one paragraph for Cyrodill to 1:45 in another paragraph, so maybe someone could explain that to me lol.

PS This is not a thread to discuss static mobs in large areas like in SWTOR, so make another thread if you want to discuss that lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Err... no clue what to make of this. How is that compared to GW2 or WOW?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AriannaeAriannae Member UncommonPosts: 40

69 minutes is from Eastern Cyrodiil to Western Cyrodiil; no other region. Just Cyrodiil.

One hour and 45 minutes is from the Eastern continent of Nirn to the Western continent of Nirn. Ie, across the entire map. So you go through Cyrodiil and Black Marsh/Morrowind.

8.3 hours is from East to West, for every given region, with all the time accumulated into one large timeframe. Ie, Eastern Hammerfell to Western Hammerfell + Eastern High Rock to Western High Rock + Eastern Skyrim to Western Skyrim, etc, etc.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It takes 18:35 to run across Kalimdor in WoW. It takes about three time as long to run from the North to the South of Kalimdor, so about 53 minutes long ways.

It takes roughly 8.3 hours to run from one side of ESO's map to the other. So ESO's map is going to be fairly huge in comparison to WoW. Even the PvP area by itself is as large as, or larger than Kalimdor in WoW.

I haven't seen a recent article on all of WoW's continents put together though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

this is why IMO it will feel like an open pvp game, even though it is confined to one area of the world. it will be huge and have all the elements that an open pvp game would have.

its obvious that you cant really compare this to GW2's WvWvW pvp anymore, TESO seems to be taking it to another level.

cant wait to try it. :)

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by lizardbones

It takes 18:35 to run across Kalimdor in WoW. It takes about three time as long to run from the North to the South of Kalimdor, so about 53 minutes long ways.

It takes roughly 8.3 hours to run from one side of ESO's map to the other. So ESO's map is going to be fairly huge in comparison to WoW. Even the PvP area by itself is as large as, or larger than Kalimdor in WoW.

That was interesting. I didn't know that about Kalimdor, but yea, that means it will be quite huge. Also, all of WOWs worlds were many years post release date. This is going to be quite large at release date.

There Is Always Hope!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by lizardbones

you mean 18min35sec, correct?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx
    Originally posted by lizardbones It takes 18:35 to run across Kalimdor in WoW. It takes about three time as long to run from the North to the South of Kalimdor, so about 53 minutes long ways. It takes roughly 8.3 hours to run from one side of ESO's map to the other. So ESO's map is going to be fairly huge in comparison to WoW. Even the PvP area by itself is as large as, or larger than Kalimdor in WoW. I haven't seen a recent article on all of WoW's continents put together though.
    you mean 18min35sec, correct?

:-) Yes.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Elikal

..by the way, your picture was one of my favorite characters in Hobbit/Lord of the Rings saga :-). Sorry for the off topic lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

This is so fracking huge, there must be something wrong with the map, no handcreated world can be so fracking huge..

the whole math is flawed... a  character moves about 400 meter/ minute, thats about  8 minutes over 3 km..

assuming the world is 3 x 3 zones square, it would take you about 24 minutes to cross Cyrodiill

with each of the PvE alliances being roughly 3/4 of cyrodiil,  means taking a little more then 20 minutes to  cross a whole alliance from one side to another...

Meaning that all 3 PvE alliances together are about as big as Kalimdor in WoW, which means that the world will be a little smaller then WoW at release... Nothing to really brag about if you ask me,,.. But then there might be many many many open world dungeons...  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Who is that btw? Tom Bombadil? Someone else?

On topic: I feel sad that Daggerfall still trumps the size of modern games. Even MMOs! Is just...sad in some ways. Oh ESO is going to be large and beautiful by most standards, but the difference in size of Daggerfall part(NW of Empire) in Daggerfall and ESO is going to be one of the very first complaints! Mark my words!

But whatever! I am as eagerly awaiting ESO as most of you are... :D

But both you and me know that the whole world of Daggerfall was computer generated, and very dull to travel trough..

Hell yeah, even the dungeons came from a random dungeon generator....   Tough well, this would actually be a cool thing for a dungeon, making it different every time you visit it.. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    I'm a bit confused im quite sure it takes more than 53 minutes to go up-down in kalimdor. I remember at the time that a griffin would take 11minutes from ironforge to SW and that was with a griffin.. WALKING umounted from top to bottom kalimdor.. would take more than one hour I am quite sure..

Originally posted by Pouf
    I'm a bit confused im quite sure it takes more than 53 minutes to go up-down in kalimdor. I remember at the time that a griffin would take 11minutes from ironforge to SW and that was with a griffin.. WALKING umounted from top to bottom kalimdor.. would take more than one hour I am quite sure..

They are basing it on a straight line run, which you can't really do. There are spots where you can run in more or less a straight line from West to East in Kalimdor though, which is what they did. That took 18 minutes and some seconds. Kalimdor is roughly three times taller than it is wide, so they multiplied the 18 minutes by 3 to get the vertical distance. They could use this to get a rough area of the map.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    This is so fracking huge, there must be something wrong with the map, no handcreated world can be so fracking huge.. the whole math is flawed... a  character moves about 400 meter/ minute, thats about  8 minutes over 3 km..assuming the world is 3 x 3 zones square, it would take you about 24 minutes to cross Cyrodiill with each of the PvE alliances being roughly 3/4 of cyrodiil,  means taking a little more then 20 minutes to  cross a whole alliance from one side to another... Meaning that all 3 PvE alliances together are about as big as Kalimdor in WoW, which means that the world will be a little smaller then WoW at release... Nothing to really brag about if you ask me,,.. But then there might be many many many open world dungeons...  

That's just the PvP area. It takes 8 hours to cross the entire map.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Yeah Lord. It was...pleasantly dull. xD

As for those calculations from Reddit:

They Strike me as a bit odd. First they say that avg province size is 3 kloms. And from that we deduce that the whole landmass in ESO is 27 kloms. That is the Total landmass(we'll call it Dt). While using that data in calcs we get 1,15h(69 and sth minutes) to cross that Dt. But why would we cross the Dt? Now this isn't so much about physics anymore, but about geography. I'll use two examples(Alinor->Necrom and Dawnstar->Lilmoth{Argonia}). In the first example you would first catch a ship headed to Valenwood then cross through Colovian highlands into Cyrodiil. After that you would go Chorrol->Blue Road->Cheydinhal route. You'd then cross into Morrowind mainland(Indoril territory at that time) and would make your way to Necrom. So we have FOUR provinces. In the second example you would first get into Hammerfel(it's way easier than try to hike the Jeralls!). Then you would make for Kvatch. The next destination would be Leyawiin. And from there onwards Argonia and Lilmoth. So that's again FOUR provinces. So we will say that that size of the four provinces(12 kloms) is the effective distance travelled. We'll call that Def. So using the Def in calcs, we get the following result:
    Tef=Def/v=0,512h or 30,77 minutes. That's how long it would take from the Alinor to Necrom or from Dawnstar to Lilmoth. That doesn't sound so large, does it now?

If we were using Dt, we'd be fooling ourselves. That 1,15 hour is what would it take from the starting point->round trip->back to the starting point.

Unless 1,15h is actually how long it takes from Anvil->Cheydinhal. Then the calculations would be off. But why the 27 klom figure then? As I said, sth is fishy there.

Also: am I only one that thinks that the High Rock is going to be...desolated? I mean it's not like it serves like a road to anywhere and it's literally cul-de-sac. A perfect starting point one would say. But so is Summerset and I certainly hope that they won't be desolate(S.Isles). About High Rock I don't care tbh.

It doesn't make much difference yet because we will have to see for our selves. But that 27kloms was just Cyrodill. They said 9 zones 3kloms each to make up Cyrodill. The 69 mins was just for the PvP area. The other areas aren't as big they said, but unknow as to the actuall size of the rest of the game world. Plus, isn't Cyrodill an Instance anyway for PvP? Most will be using fast travel to get across the map.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Yeah Lord. It was...pleasantly dull. xD

As for those calculations from Reddit:

They Strike me as a bit odd. First they say that avg province size is 3 kloms. And from that we deduce that the whole landmass in ESO is 27 kloms. That is the Total landmass(we'll call it Dt). While using that data in calcs we get 1,15h(69 and sth minutes) to cross that Dt. But why would we cross the Dt? Now this isn't so much about physics anymore, but about geography. I'll use two examples(Alinor->Necrom and Dawnstar->Lilmoth{Argonia}). In the first example you would first catch a ship headed to Valenwood then cross through Colovian highlands into Cyrodiil. After that you would go Chorrol->Blue Road->Cheydinhal route. You'd then cross into Morrowind mainland(Indoril territory at that time) and would make your way to Necrom. So we have FOUR provinces. In the second example you would first get into Hammerfel(it's way easier than try to hike the Jeralls!). Then you would make for Kvatch. The next destination would be Leyawiin. And from there onwards Argonia and Lilmoth. So that's again FOUR provinces. So we will say that that size of the four provinces(12 kloms) is the effective distance travelled. We'll call that Def. So using the Def in calcs, we get the following result:
    Tef=Def/v=0,512h or 30,77 minutes. That's how long it would take from the Alinor to Necrom or from Dawnstar to Lilmoth. That doesn't sound so large, does it now?

If we were using Dt, we'd be fooling ourselves. That 1,15 hour is what would it take from the starting point->round trip->back to the starting point.

Unless 1,15h is actually how long it takes from Anvil->Cheydinhal. Then the calculations would be off. But why the 27 klom figure then? As I said, sth is fishy there.

Also: am I only one that thinks that the High Rock is going to be...desolated? I mean it's not like it serves like a road to anywhere and it's literally cul-de-sac. A perfect starting point one would say. But so is Summerset and I certainly hope that they won't be desolate(S.Isles). About High Rock I don't care tbh.

As a Breton battlemage, i do care, care a lot about high rock..    Just beleive me that high rock will be far from desolated, its an aewsome place to live, desolate places should be morrowind and the marshes...

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Elikal

..by the way, your picture was one of my favorite characters in Hobbit/Lord of the Rings saga :-). Sorry for the off topic lol.

Yey to Radagast.

(Bilbo to Gandalf: "How is this Radagast? Is he a great wizard... or more like you?")

Who is that btw? Tom Bombadil? Someone else?

On topic: I feel sad that Daggerfall still trumps the size of modern games. Even MMOs! Is just...sad in some ways. Oh ESO is going to be large and beautiful by most standards, but the difference in size of Daggerfall part(NW of Empire) in Daggerfall and ESO is going to be one of the very first complaints! Mark my words!

But whatever! I am as eagerly awaiting ESO as most of you are... :D

It is Radagast the Brown, as interpreted in "The Hobbit" - movie. I really like the PJ interpretation of him. A bit like a crazy but wise hippie guy doing his own stuff but kinda cool too. ^^

OT: I really love HUGE world, even with "wasted" space. It's why I loved SWG, where I had the feeling to be on REAL planets. I hate those crammed pseudo worlds with a badger every 2 meters.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Well ya know, they did create a past Elder Scrolls game the size of Britian, so this huge world is also in line with their past games.