Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft quarterly report is out... not looking good for gw2...

123457»

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    Originally posted by Aeander

"Full" servers mean nothing to you maybe. If you want to speculate you can say that pretty much all MMOs lie about server populations. This is you trying to base facts off of something that is pure speculation.

Success is based on the amount of content that the game can continue to produce to keep their player base happy. This is something that has only picked up tremendously over time. If they are not making enough money to keep up with the updates then the game is not as successful. This is obviously not true as they are providing more content then any MMO has except maybe Rift in the first year. 

ArenaNet is hiring. They have not laid off anyone and they continue to produce quality updates. The only fact here is that you want to throw your speculations around like they are facts when anyone who plays the game on any kind of regular basis knows how wrong you are.

Anet is NCsofts lowest grossing subsidiary though. Down about 80% since launch and 20% last quarter. 

I mean it's all relative, but to keep it in perspective GW2 is earning abut as much as AION.

The amazing part of the report is the success of Lineage 1.  It is basically carrying NCSoft on its back.  That game itself had almost 50% of sales for NCSoft and saw almost a 30% growth from Q1 '13 to Q2 '13.  Just amazing.

But you are right, for NCSoft, GW2 and Aion are on par.

Kids does days. AION is released in almost every important country/territory in the world. They even say "thank you China" ( somehow ) for their continued support over Aion.

Let's discuss after they will release it in China, Korea, Japan , etc.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

I don't understand the surprise at the drop in box sales. It is a B2P game and they will eventually saturate the market with their sales. This happens with every game to include P2P ones. Their cash shop sales are what matter and I would imagine this change in direction on the development of new content is meant to increase those. What will be interesting will be the next report to see if these changes have had an impact. Only time will tell if they will be able to sustain this style of development pace.

I agree fully. Also, like in the thread about population, a slower pace of sales does not mean the game isn't growing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

What I find it a bit...funny, is that Nc Europe had and has almost indetically rise and fall numbers as ANet since GW2 released, where Nc Europe does not have 1 single game to support anymore , since L2 and Aion became F2P, which is over a year ago.

I think is safe to say, that Nc Europe works somehow, as a company for GW2 in Europe.  So numbers may double.

Am I right?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by caetftl
    The point i'm trying to make is simple... I am trying to give people real evidence to formulate their perceptions on. I am a firm believer in education and knowledge...I prefer people to discuss things with a proper understanding of them, instead of just making wild assumptions. A lot of gw2 players here try to misrepresent how well gw2 is doing. Some even believed it was capable of retaining 80+% of the playerbase. I myself just want to make sure as many people as possible can see real facts.

I'm confused as to why these numbers are at all worrying? It should be quite obvious that as the game ages box sales are going to decline, especially with no expansion pack in sight. ArenaNet has always relied on the sale of expansion packs to provide long-term cash injections for the simple reason that they don't have monthly subscriptions to rely on. The difference between GW1 and GW2, however, is that the cash shop is far more extensive in the latter, thus they have an additional source of revenue between box releases. But at the end of the day the company makes its money through large bursts of sales as opposed to a sustained source of income over the long term.

Furthermore, I find your downplaying of their operating profit quite amusing. At the end of the day they're a business and care most about their profit. On the one hand you're championing the numbers and telling people not to put their own spin on it, but on the other hand you're downplaying arguably the most important figure, operating profit, and using complete assumptions - no facts and figures - in order to do so. As a result one can't help but assume that you have an agenda.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Nadia
    I'll go by the official earnings reports over massively's article of opinions... but you are free to try and spin the numbers if you want.

read page 4 header of the ncsoft report

Revenues grew on the back of historical high L1 and stable GW2 OP also increased reflecting solid revenues and limited increase in expenses

I prefer the actual numbers, which are down 20% from last quarter... Also operating profits while important, aren't nearly as telling as sales.... Operating profit could be increased for example, by the initial wave of release players quitting, so anet being able to layoff CSR staff because they are only supporting a fraction of the initial customers. That is an example of a way you can increase your operating profit, by lowering operating cost.

It always intrigued me how some people have this urge to point out facts partially to suit their needs :D

Also, considering GW2 is 1 time buy like most singleplayer games out there, this is huge news that they're still selling... Now imagine how they'll boost profit when they release in china or whole asia :P

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Meowhead

I won't bother to argue 'decline in revenue'.  That's in black and white for all to see.

Decline in population since launch?  Willing to believe that too, though it's hard to get hard numbers on that.

All I'm saying is that 'decline' <> 'not looking good for gw2'.

They're still at a comfortable stage.  The earnings call called it 'stable'.  That sort of decrease on the B2P model is pretty much within expectations.

Decline in profit?   Yes. 

'Not looking good' is projecting.

Being #2 or #3, while simultaneously being the =second most anticipated= MMORPG in China (Another NCSoft game being the #1 anticipated), and making that much money per year?  (Hint:  It's a lot of money, even now).

Still in a pretty comfortable position.

(Also, all the explanations of how RIFT got higher Raptr numbers with lots of incentives... like a free mount (Free mount just for signing up for raptr!  Easy!), shows just how horribly skewed these games can get really easily.  That makes the RIFT numbers completely unreliable.  'Raptr isn't 100%' is an understatement, to say the least)

After reading through this thread, This post right here is the one that makes the most sense to me. There are facts that have been presented, sure, facts are facts. But then, that's all that you can say. Far to much personal interpretation, speculation and agenda have been inserted into this thread piggy-backing on these facts into interpreting what those facts mean. Once you cut out the fact that is in the report, all the other things said, the "why" the "what it means" and anything else you say after the fact is just plain speculation.

GW2 isn't going anywhere. If I fire up my client right now, I'll log in and see enough people running around LA, I'll see people in my guild online If I ask them, I am pretty sure I can get a dungeon or a fractal run going. We are the gamers. It's one thing to take note of how the game is doing financially, but our concern is the quality of the game's experience. It's enough for me to know that a game will still be around for at least another year. And GW2 will be.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I won't bother to argue 'decline in revenue'.  That's in black and white for all to see.

Decline in population since launch?  Willing to believe that too, though it's hard to get hard numbers on that.

All I'm saying is that 'decline' <> 'not looking good for gw2'.

They're still at a comfortable stage.  The earnings call called it 'stable'.  That sort of decrease on the B2P model is pretty much within expectations.

Decline in profit?   Yes. 

'Not looking good' is projecting.

Being #2 or #3, while simultaneously being the =second most anticipated= MMORPG in China (Another NCSoft game being the #1 anticipated), and making that much money per year?  (Hint:  It's a lot of money, even now).

Still in a pretty comfortable position.

(Also, all the explanations of how RIFT got higher Raptr numbers with lots of incentives... like a free mount (Free mount just for signing up for raptr!  Easy!), shows just how horribly skewed these games can get really easily.  That makes the RIFT numbers completely unreliable.  'Raptr isn't 100%' is an understatement, to say the least)

Anyone have a link for that? I

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Being #2 or #3, while simultaneously being the =second most anticipated= MMORPG in China

Anyone have a link for that?

i have no clue

but another beta for GW2 China is in Sept

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/07/guild-wars-2-2nd-test-phase-for-china-begins-in-september/

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I have to admit... I love that trailer.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Just to note this was locked due to it spiraling into arguments and attempts at one-upmanship. The title is also potentially baiting.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.