Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"And now for something a little different!"

BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Debates , arguments, rejoicing/crying/hating/sadfacing, aside. Let's talk about "Open World Gameplay"!

Do you think the "Open World" design is something of a nostalgic fantasy of older gamers, such as myself, or do the newer generations have something to gain from experience such a design? 

Personally, I'm concerned that due to the newer generation of MMO players, only having had experienced Themepark instance-based products,  will shy away from it due to unfamiliarity. 

What do you think :)?

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

I've always enjoyed and now prefer a game to have an open world. I feel it can (and in certain circumstances, does) add more of an immersion element to the game itself.

Personally I am not concerned on what people prefer when it comes to their "themepark record". Seeing as the game will be F2P, that is enough reason for individuals to form their own opinion. I don't feel as 'Open World' would deter them from doing what they like to do, it basically gives them more options in certain ways.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    What do I think? I think that open world gaming has been huge for years, GTA, Saints Row, Assassins Creed, TES games, Far Cry, Borderlands, Skateboarding games, Battlefield. They're all open world, and extremely popular.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Instance or Open, if done right, either can be very rewarding, gameplay wise. Thinking one is superior to the other is just elitist thinking from one side or the other.

Some will say: "instancing is for whiny crybabies that want what others get" and "Open gaming is the only way to go cause there is a sense of accomplishment when you do something, and deprive others of doing it as well."

Others state: Instancing has to be done in order for developer time to not go to waste on the less than 1% that sees the content. Some people will camp and prevent others from getting certain mobs or resources, even if no one needs it in their guild or party, only to limit the supply of a certain item.

Both have their ideals, and in their own mind, both are correct.

TL;DR:Personally, I couldn't care either way. If the gameplay is good, and there is no griefing involved, then it doesn't really matter if there is instancing or if there is open gaming.

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82
    I think open-world is where MMOs will eventually head towards.  Unfortunately, I think that the FFA gankfests and bad communities contributes to a distaste towards this style of MMO among many gamers.  Considering that I believe that communities will only get worse and not better, I think that open world will begin to predominate only when developers can put enough safeguards into games to prevent griefers from ruining them.
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by Sephastus

Instance or Open, if done right, either can be very rewarding, gameplay wise. Thinking one is superior to the other is just elitist thinking from one side or the other.

Some will say: "instancing is for whiny crybabies that want what others get" and "Open gaming is the only way to go cause there is a sense of accomplishment when you do something, and deprive others of doing it as well."

Others state: Instancing has to be done in order for developer time to not go to waste on the less than 1% that sees the content. Some people will camp and prevent others from getting certain mobs or resources, even if no one needs it in their guild or party, only to limit the supply of a certain item.

Both have their ideals, and in their own mind, both are correct.

TL;DR:Personally, I couldn't care either way. If the gameplay is good, and there is no griefing involved, then it doesn't really matter if there is instancing or if there is open gaming.

I've personally always felt instancing to feel extremely "cheap", and makes me feel as if i'm no longer a part of the world. At that point I might as well be playing a single-player game with co-op elements if I never have a chance to randomly meet someone trying to do the same task.

The ONLY thing I liked from GW2 was its shared-quest system. Where you show up to do a quest, and 30 different people can hit the same mob for the same quest and get an update for that quest whether it be needing to loot something or just a kill update. 

I think that combined with open-world, and deep mechanics that allow the player to interact with the world around them is what will drive future MMOs :).

However, if there's anything that ever can be accepted for instancing it'd probably be a raid target. I'd accept seperate instancing for raiding huge dragons or something. Even then it's a stretch for me, so /shrug.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Open World with shared mobs (no tagging) will be the way to go. Anyone in on the fight get's credit, like in GW2.

Those poor elite, corner the market guilds are going to be sad campers...

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Open world is my preference, too.

But it does have its own share of problems.   In EQ1, a friend spent over 3 weeks camping Ghoulbane,  During this time, he saw the thing at least 4 times, only to have higher levels jump in, kill the mob and loot the Ghoulbane with an alt.   Just an example of bad behavior that an open world situation can introduce.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Mendel

Open world is my preference, too.

But it does have its own share of problems.   In EQ1, a friend spent over 3 weeks camping Ghoulbane,  During this time, he saw the thing at least 4 times, only to have higher levels jump in, kill the mob and loot the Ghoulbane with an alt.   Just an example of bad behavior that an open world situation can introduce.

What a waste of time! ouch.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Debates , arguments, rejoicing/crying/hating/sadfacing, aside. Let's talk about "Open World Gameplay"!

Do you think the "Open World" design is something of a nostalgic fantasy of older gamers, such as myself, or do the newer generations have something to gain from experience such a design? 

Personally, I'm concerned that due to the newer generation of MMO players, only having had experienced Themepark instance-based products,  will shy away from it due to unfamiliarity. 

What do you think :)?

I do not think players will shy away from it.

The excitement of exploring discovering, uncovering and simply heading in to the unknown just to see what is there, curiosity, is an intrinsic quality of all human beings, I think.

So the fact that the world is open and seamless is not a deterent to play the game in and of itself.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by BearKnight
    Debates , arguments, rejoicing/crying/hating/sadfacing, aside. Let's talk about "Open World Gameplay"!  Do you think the "Open World" design is something of a nostalgic fantasy of older gamers, such as myself, or do the newer generations have something to gain from experience such a design?  Personally, I'm concerned that due to the newer generation of MMO players, only having had experienced Themepark instance-based products,  will shy away from it due to unfamiliarity.  What do you think :)?

Open world gaming is one of the most popular genres right now. Its revenue is second to fps. What are you talking about?

• gkslashgkslash Member Posts: 27
    I prefer open world, but only when enough time is taken to make it all meaningful. I don't like when developers bite off more than they can chew with their worlds, and start to get lazy towards the end of development. You get some areas that are amazingly detailed, and then other terribly ugly area's where clearly no one gave a damn about how it ties in.