Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: FFXIV - Group Friendly, Elf-less Community?

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Results from a poll posted to the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn community paint an interesting picture of the community's potential make up. We weigh in on the results in this week's column.

The poll’s race breakdown data is particularly noteworthy to me. Most MMO players would expect the usual suspects (Humans, Elves, insert diminutive race here) to top the charts, but based off the data we’re seeing expect a whole lot of catgirls and boys – and giants. Lots and lots of giants. Elves (Elezen) make up only a total of 7% of respondents while Miqo’te (cat folk) make up 34% and Roegadyn (giants) come in at 23%. Yes, they even beat out Humans (22%).

Read more of Michael Bitton's FFXIV: ARR: The Group Friendly, Elf-less Community?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• drchocapicdrchocapic Member Posts: 27

Past experiences with these kind of pre-release polls have proven that they are only taken by a game's hardcore fans, way before the masses reach the game.

And the masses are going to roll humans and elves in droves.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Sort of makes sense. During the Betas I was wondering why I was the only elf character running around!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Sort of makes sense. During the Betas I was wondering why I was the only elf character running around!

Stop wondering, Elves has horrible animations.... you look like a walking peestick

• ChaosLord83ChaosLord83 Member UncommonPosts: 11

http://i.imgur.com/nhTm07A.jpg

Another breakdown, with different results

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Elves look like an ostrich with heads too small for their bodies.
  • SelaineSelaine Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by drchocapic

Past experiences with these kind of pre-release polls have proven that they are only taken by a game's hardcore fans, way before the masses reach the game.

And the masses are going to roll humans and elves in droves.

i agree in the first point.

for the elves: i.. i don't know. Yeah. Their necks are a little too long, but the most annoying thing i noticed are the small heads.

Does nobody else think they have far too small heads? No??

Proportional to the hands and arms and body and so on...

At least the females have -- really small heads. yeah..silly

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by ChaosLord83

http://i.imgur.com/nhTm07A.jpg

Another breakdown, with different results

This one seems far more accurate/likely for the masses.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Lol im rolling Elezen simply because they are obviously the underdog choice due to appearance. Gotta be unique somehow...
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Of course people are rolling support classes,  since every game now aways has (for some god awful reason) abandoned the trinity...

People are excited for a game that has some interdependancy and are rolling the support classes they have come to love.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52
    • Race:Taru
    • Server:IDK
    • Job (DoW):WHM
    • Crafting (DoH):Tailor
    • Gathering (DoL):ALL
    • Grand Company:IDK
    • Playstyle:Social

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Winterfalke

Elfes = Ugly and the head is unproportional. The only thing that reminds me of elves is the ears and even they are ugly.

This... wife and I roled this race for beta and they looked really bad. Not awesome in any way. Make them look scary or purdy. 

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    Lol im rolling Elezen simply because they are obviously the underdog choice due to appearance. Gotta be unique somehow...

I'm doing the same :)

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96
    • Race: Roegadyn (Hellsguard)
    • Server: Ultros
    • Job (DoW): Paladin
    • Crafting (DoH): ?
    • Gathering (DoL): ?
    • Grand Company: The Immortal Flames
    • Playstyle: Hardcore Casual
  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

What makes it even more surprising in regards to the large % playing support is it is actually even more then 58/42% Archers are not truly dps in the traditional sense they are more a dps/support. This is especially true once the Bard Job is unlocked but even pre-Bard Archers have the largest Mana pool of all the non-magic classes and couple that with the Archer being at home fighting from a distance makes them a great backup healer even without skill points dumped into it. During several fights in the last beta phase where our tank should have died because of our main healer being unable to outheal the incoming damage the extra boost I was able to provide completely turned the fight around as a level 33 Archer I believe my Heal was restoring around 86HP to my target and this was with all my points dumped into Dex.

What makes this even more obvious is the fact the Archer's Limit Break is a group heal I almost fell over when I used my Limit Break during my first group boss fight and instead of the boss getting damaged I realized I had healed everyone. LMAO

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I have never had any interest in cat-like races, but got to admit they look extremely nice in this one. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Race: Roegadyn Hellsguard
    Server: Coeurl
    Job (DoW): Undecided
    Crafting (DoH): All
    Gathering (DoL): All
    Grand Company: Undecided
    Playstyle: Crafting

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

And here I thought I was being a bit original by going male Miqo'te (Keeper) Paladin. 

Why do game makers even bother making "unique" looking characters when the pretty ones almost always come out on top 10-1 image

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

It was the 'character gender' data that had the more even distribution between male and female; the player gender data showed something like 19% women (maybe less, I forget).

The race results do not surprise me really.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The Roegedyn stat is confusing to me.I play a lot of Galka and Roegadyn  and i know for fact it  is a rarely played class.

In FFXI i see about 2-3 in a all of a jueno zone at one time and that is of around maybe 50+ players.

In FFXIV it seemed to be even more rare,i on very rare occasions ran into the Galkan like class.

The cat classes i am not surprised by,they seem to be popular.

I never really looked into the stat differences ,if there are any,i just made one Roegadyn and one of the Lalafell.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Really thinking that Roegadyn Hellsguard is thrown off. The other two surveys I found saw them lower than even the Sea Wolves.

• KruzilKruzil Member UncommonPosts: 95
    • Race: Miqo'te
    • Server: Gilgamesh
    • Job (DoW): Archer/Bard
    • Crafting (DoH): Carpenter
    • Gathering (DoL): Botanist
    • Grand Company:  Undecided
    • Playstyle: Social
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    For me...

Lalafell Dunesfolk

Server Goblin

Gender, all classes undecided

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

• Gender: Male (characters female) Prefer looking at females while i'm playing
    • Race: Miqo'te (Moon one), Roegadyn (Hellsguard) and one Lalafell Dunesfolk
    • Server: Not sure, where ever my friends end up
    • Job (DoW): Dragoon, Paladin and some type of casterish for the third toon
    • Crafting (DoH): Not sure yet
    • Gathering (DoL): Not sure yet
    • Grand Company: huh? lol
    • Playstyle: Casual

I'd like to focus DPS on one toon, Tanking on one and Healing on the last.  I love to play elves but the big bodies with the teeny tiny heads just creeps me out (must be an Asian thing to make their elves look different maybe?)  I just don't really like the style of the elves (kinda like the creepy looking soga models in EQ II, I never liked them either). I like the way most of the races look, just can't get past the teeny tiny heads on the elves....maybe if they made the heads bigger to match the bodies or shrunk the bodies and left the heads the same size.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by oakae
    Elves look like an ostrich with heads too small for their bodies.

Square Enix may ask MMORPG to ban my account for breaking the NDA, but... I have to do it!

Here's a brief video of a group of Elezen wandering just outside of Ul'dah!

Gasp!  I can't believe that I just leaked that!

I'm probably going to max at least one of each race in game.  Have a lot of hard work and preparation / plans for the next six months to make 999,999,999 gil within a couple years.

Come at me, FFXIV economy!

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.