Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ok not trolling but why is there so much hype for this game?

EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

not trolling because i know very little about this game, but i hear so many people going crazy for it over the intraweb. I even have a friend who is a huge fanboy of the game.

so what is the big deal (again i am not flaming i really do want to know why people are excited)

Comments

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    My guess is the art style.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

40 man raids is part of it.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Its a new AAA MMO of course people are gonna be excited.  Wildstar promises WoW type raiding with GW2 style action combat, that along with player housing and other features makes people excited.
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

They seem to

a) Have a good sense of humor, which is important if that is what you are going for in your game...WoW had a great sense of humor.

b) Have no illusions about what they are putting out, a themepark with some sandbox elements but really as far as themeparks go I have not seen anything bad in the design so far.

c) Looks like it could have good two faction PvP built into it...a lot of games don't do that anymore, TSW kind of made reference to it but regulated it to a very tiny parcel of instanced BG......Terra has open faction pvp, Guild Wars has none..if they can pull it off it could be fun...I prefer open world pvp or three faction...but two faction can be fun.

b) has a few other elements like exploration and that settler thing and housing built into it from the start.

e) Fun and funny lore...which is important, good lore makes a world sometimes.

Basically it looks like a more up to date WoW type game, and there is nothing wrong with that if WoW is your thing...I think most people have had some kind of fun in WoW at one point or another, a lot of WoW players are probably itching for something new at this point.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

The hype comes from the fact that you can everything is dodgable and you must aim for everything you do. In other words, it's not a tab target game and we won't have a lot of these in the mmo world. A game with 0% target, everything ddogable is rare in my opinion.

As for the hype, i never heard of wildstar before my cousin talked about it. I saw it once being top hype on mmorpg.com, but look at it now, right above warhammer 40k and once warhammer gets some picture, some videos and a couple more info's, wilstar will be off the map.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

I don't think the hype is really that strong.  People at work that are usuily excited about an mmo think it's just so so.  My Darkfall guild think it's not that big of a deal. This forum itself is loosing steam, as it started to market too early.

And My opinion....It looks cool, videos are fun JUST LIKE WARHAMMER, and we all know how bad that one was !

I'll keep an eye on it when its close to release end of 2013, 2014, 2015 or whenever they figure that out and stop playing marketing games with the payment model.

• eimaiegoeimaiego Member Posts: 24

-40 man raids

-guild wars 2 like combat

-really intreresting housing system

-the funny videos

-path system

-and for some people the cartoonish wow style graphics, for me the graphics is the only thing that bothers me

ololo

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

When i saw the very first trailer nearly 2 years ago, i found it very amusing and applied for CB.

Sadly i never heared anything again from them ...

Oh, and GW2 combat ?!

8 buttons ?!

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Hype meters should just be removed because it's been a long time since an MMO lived up to the hype.

• eimaiegoeimaiego Member Posts: 24
    I find gw2 combat harder to master for many reasons. Its an actionlike combat (not fully action) and with you dodging attacks instead of haveing %dodge chance if you add more buttons to this system it will be chaos and not fun also picking what skills to carry with you in a fight its really fun (to bad gw2 only forces you to change 1-3 skills in few fights).

ololo

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Meriik
    Its a new AAA MMO of course people are gonna be excited.  Wildstar promises WoW type raiding with GW2 style action combat, that along with player housing and other features makes people excited.

Yeah, that is probably a good sum up.

The game seems pretty interesting so many people look forward to it.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Changing some things around based on beta test feedback. So, there is going to be some delay. Don't think a release date has been announced yet but I'm guessing mid next year there will be more to comment on. So, say tuned.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Ecoces

not trolling because i know very little about this game, but i hear so many people going crazy for it over the intraweb. I even have a friend who is a huge fanboy of the game.

so what is the big deal (again i am not flaming i really do want to know why people are excited)

Simple.  This is likely going to be the first good MMO to come out since WoW, and for years to come afterwards.

All the past MMOs have bombed, and all the new MMOs on the horizon have serious issues.  This game however, this game is the golden egg.  This game has the chance to become WoW 2.0.  That isn't a wow clone, that is the second coming of WoW.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by rawfox

When i saw the very first trailer nearly 2 years ago, i found it very amusing and applied for CB.

Oh, and GW2 combat ?!

8 buttons ?!

You say 8 buttons when you can also use dodge so make it 9. Movement is a bigger factor than most mmos that has 12 buttons+, but there's nothing you can do against them when you're targeted so they use a macro script to press 1 button that will make you press 12 buttons in the same order. How lane is that?

My question: will it be locked with 8 buttons or can you map more keys via config? I would not even be mad at this. I think 8 buttons is good if they minus passive abilities like self buffs and debuffs when your class is not about it.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• Dornin34Dornin34 Member Posts: 14
    GW2 had active combat? That combat was a joke. It was an impression of active combat because you could run right into an attack but as long as you use the little roll action, bullets would magically miss you. Likewise if you ran to one side or the other bullets would somehow curve into you. That sluggish combat and bad targeting was about as bad as any MMO in a long time. I have no idea what WS combat is like since I haven't played it, but I sure hope it isn't as crappy as GW2. 
  • ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

It is being hyped by veteran MMO gamers and the raiding guilds who have been left out in the cold by all the new easy mode mmos like GW2 and Tor that have come to dominate the genre.

Wildstar's big promise is to bring difficulty and challenge back to MMOs and they have targeted their game difficulty to top players and guilds while at some time they plan to offer content for all playstyles.

In a genre that is now dominated by casuals who expect everything given to them without any effort or thought Wildstars design sounds like heaven to old school veteran games but one has to wonder how the masses will react to having to pay attention and look at the monitor while playing a MMO.  Carbine has said they want to teach these players how to become better players and improve their play and skill.

Wildstar is essentially the last hope for competitive raiders.  With few progressive raiding games and arguably all lacking in difficulty and challenge Wildstar offers hope to bring back what has been taken or lost from raiding games.  Actual difficulty, challenge and progression.  With the direction WoW and Rift raiding is headed Wildstar is the last hope for many raiding guilds.

With both EQN and ESO both taking what appears to be the  GW2 easy mode route Wildstar is the only game targeting the older EQ1/UO/DAOC/AC crowd.  Can these players support a successful modern MMO?  Will Carbine stick to their design goals?  Will the casuals have a tantrum and meltdown if asked to improve their skill and play?  Will the casuals refuse to play or just spend time trashing the game on forums for years?

It will be very interesting to see how this works out.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I think there is a lot of hype for any new promising MMO because Guild Wars 2, The Secret World and TERA turned out to be more hype than actual substance.  I think the next round of games will just continue the trend but WIldstar looks like it's actually worth a look.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I guess people are hoping it is : everything that WoW has+ some awesome other/new features for hardocore/sandbox players. and also they are hoping as it is coming from NC it will b2p. so they are hyping it up like GW2.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Oh, and GW2 combat ?!

8 buttons ?!

You say 8 buttons when you can also use dodge so make it 9. Movement is a bigger factor than most mmos that has 12 buttons+, but there's nothing you can do against them when you're targeted so they use a macro script to press 1 button that will make you press 12 buttons in the same order. How lane is that?

My question: will it be locked with 8 buttons or can you map more keys via config? I would not even be mad at this. I think 8 buttons is good if they minus passive abilities like self buffs and debuffs when your class is not about it.

You can't config other buttons.  It is a Limited Action Set!  Note the word limited.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Why?

Probably for the same reason there was so much hype for EQN and CU...

Brain damage.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Oh, and GW2 combat ?!

8 buttons ?!

Do not fret; they recently announced that there will be 250+ buttons minimum.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

The "action combat" is hardly anything like GW2 combat. Imagine every attack being like an aoe in WoW where you see it "telegraphed" on the ground. It seems cool at first but in practice gets old quick. I'm sure you'll hear more complaints after the NDA is lifted.

Originally posted by Leiros

The "action combat" is hardly anything like GW2 combat. Imagine every attack being like an aoe in WoW where you see it "telegraphed" on the ground. It seems cool at first but in practice gets old quick. I'm sure you'll hear more complaints after the NDA is lifted.

You only see the telegraph if you hold the button down.

It is infinitely better than GW2.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    The hype comes from a word mentioned for this title and it's sandbox but I don't dig it. 

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    The hype comes from a word mentioned for this title and it's sandbox but I don't dig it. 

This game is nor ever was claimed to be a sandbox.