Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] City of Heroes: Profitable or Not?

14567810»

Comments

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

Acussintg a corporation of shutting down a game because it was still profitable but the company is lying is really not that different than acussing them of not being able to do math and understand the difference between cost and profit.

I played Cox for about 5 years so i can say it was easily one of the better MMO's i have played, most MMO communities remind me of the one wow has to be honest. I am really sorry for anyone that was still super attached to this game, but sorry games get the plug pulled cause they are not profitable if it was still making money it would be running. I have not played the game in years but the other issue of this games closing that bothered me is this is easily the best super hero MMO ever made cause champions and DCUO frankly suck if they were good they wouldn't have gone F2P in record time.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Thanks for the article, William!

Here's to hoping we'll see a resurrection of CoH!

Also, Dampyre, if the game was losing them money, then why not let Paragon Studios buy themselves out, like they tried, and continue on their own?

If it was just about the money that would've been the smart thing to do; they'd have cut their losses and even recuperated some of them from the sale.

Instead they chose to be incredibly petty about it and kicked 80 people out without even any advance warning. And then afterwards they refuse to sell the IP to make sure the game stays dead.

If it was a famous IP, like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc... I could see why they'd want to hold onto it... but CoH's I can only see decreasing in value the longer it stays on the shelves.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MadAddictMadAddict Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I got to say this, I don't know what to believe and honestly NCSOFT won't care anyway. I played beta to sunset, with the same SG the whole time, never lapse in time, it was a minimum of a weekly ritual . Bottom line is people enjoyed it, repetitive at times but what MMO isn't? The fun has been torn away, And for those who care, a hole is left that cannot easily be filled. Talk money all day, its the people who count. It fulfilled a part of the players lives that has been lost. And they were all willing to pay whether cash shop or membership. So don't say they weren't making money, it has been paying for itself for years!
  • PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

Basicaly in a nut shell....NC Soft  decided to discontinue city of heroes....becasue they not only had the newest Guild Wars coming out, but they also wanted to support their newest game they had been hyping like crazy Blood and Soul.  If you actualy decide to look at their profits for each game you will see the biggest loser title being Lineage 2, followed by AION which has had trouble for quite a while.  As a gamer if you have played both titles you know why this is. (aside form age of game the over game play for these two titles have had alot of issues and tons of damage control that just has not worked as well as I am sure they wanted....go figure...nepotism causes this sort of thing.) 

As for it not being profitable.....it was...it just was not enough of what they wanted...in addition they decided to change focus....You can see this statement issued by them in many places including thier announcement about the sunset and in many issued statements.  What that means in video games terms is that they decided to go with a specifc genre of games and focus on that only.  Thus they went to the Fantasy style of gaming and Super Heroes doesnt exactly fall with in that genre.

I dont actualy know why they decided to discontinue it like they did.....they really made some big names in the entertainment and writing and movie industries very angry though(you could have read this on the city of heroes forums when they existed but can still read right now on the titan network forums for some juicy stuff)

But the biggest reason this is continualy being brought up... if anyone has been part of game shutdowns....I have a number of times....this time it was handled alot differently then the usual......In every game before city of heores....the number one thing companies do is try to keep players...in this case they usualy do the old we will give you the time you pre-paid for on another game title.....or discounts on other games they have or are coming out with....they did this on Auto Assault, and Lineage and Dungeon Runners and even Tabula Rasa....but with this one....they instead....didnt send out any emails....they simply gave people back credit..and that was it....any calls or emails to them where answered with a response of the game is being sunset on the date and nothing else.

So strangely enough this is why this thing keeps getting brought up like a dead horse....is becasue the players....noticed the company didnt try to keep them....they literaly didnt try to sell the game nor any other games....and they didnt seam to care they ticked off some influential big wigs in differing fields...which kind of goes way against the typical game company strategem...and what is even more strange...is the fact that many other game companies have been super supportive to a point you can tell that the moderators and workers in those other companies are just as mystified.....thus the reason you dont see the city of heroes stuff taken off the blizzard forum...or from the perfect world forums or the secret world....

Yes its very irritating to players who never played city of heroes and would never have played it and could care less....

But the mystery is there and thus....its why its brought up.

Figured I would post all of this to get people up to speed.

• logandwjlogandwj Member Posts: 25

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/09/markets-korea-stocks-idUSL4N0AE2UK20130109

"We advise cutting losses on NCsoft - we see continued cannibalization of existing games and at best moderate success for new games in China," Morgan Stanley analyst Sam Min wrote in a research note on Wednesday.

Their stock is half what it was this same time last year. HALF. And still falling.

So NCSoft? About that new direction you were talking about?

How's that working out for ya? 

-Logan
    ----------
    "Wake UP! Time for SCIENCE!"
    -Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
    ----------

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"we see continued cannibalization of existing games"

Not good, and a pointer to where the MMO industry is heading.

• SattymikeSattymike Member Posts: 1

I played CoX from start to nearly finish.  I had a lapsed a few months before sunset and came back to find it gone. 

I enjoyed writing content in AE and the veteran rewards at the time.   It was my first MMO.  It was not like any other MMO at launch and I haven't found any I like better.   I've played others  including AoC, SWToR, Fallen earth, Secret world, Planetside 2, Rift.... none kept me for more than a month or three.  Waste of time and sometimes money.

I really may be done with MMOs but I am certainly done with NCSoft.  I've read every thread I could find about the sunset and reasons behind it and arguements about the profitability. 

ncsoft should sell but obviously for their own reasons they won't.  They pulled the rug out from under CoX.  It;s their choice but it's my choice to not send another dollar their direction.

• misterfrictionmisterfriction Member Posts: 1
    You have not heard the real reason COH was shut down..All releases from the studio are lies. The game made money and was making money..The real conspiracy behind the game closure has yet to surface.
  • SCyberTazSCyberTaz Member Posts: 1

Hopefully someone has warned Molten games about retaining their IP ownership of their game and only take money from NC Limp as a distributor.  I plan on giving no money to anyone affiliated with NC Limp, including their majority shareholder Nexxon and could care less what they do to Molten.  I really hope they have a booth at Gencon for WS, B&S, GW2 or anything else so I can stand there in my AP33 t-shirt and hold my torch high in memory of our fallen hobby, obsession and / or lifestyle choice.  Those of you on FB please feel free to stop by the Boycott NC Soft, I miss City of Heroes, or CoH Survivors groups, we actually appreciate the community and players of our beloved murdered MMO.

@SCyberTaz, The odd-father of Exalted and Champion

• Xen0phageXen0phage Member Posts: 3

[quote] While we looked to sell the franchise multiple times, we were unsuccessful in finding a suitable partner that we thought would support City of Heroes’ fans in a manner they were accustomed to for years to come [/quote]

yeah...so the solution was just to shut it down cause no game is better then a game that isn't as well supported as it used to be... JACK ASS

• galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, NCSoft is legally allowed to say anything it wants in this kind of forum/interview.   They never came out before talking about numbers, they said it was a 'direction' change, yadda yadda.  I don't believe a word they say.  I suspect some kind of personal pride BS that no one will ever hear about,
  • STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Volkanik I really don't understand the need for the continual dissection of why City of Heroes was closed down.  

Yet we have another thread about it. Must be slow times for little known blogs.