Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do we know about PvP in ESO?

ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Ok.. we know

- there is Cyrodiil a huge open zone (i believe to remember that it should be bigger than GW2 WvW zones)

- we can enter Cyrodiil past lvl10, and as much as i remember correctly we will be "upleveled" of some kind?

- in Cyrodill will fight 3 factions against each other

- there will probable some keeps, and we can siege keeps

- one player can become emperor if certain circumstances are fullfilled

Thats about it.. as much as i can remember now.. can someone add more details, or correct me, if something wasn't really that exact or even wrong?

Do we know anything about different targets especially regarding the group scale? Objects or possibilities to play as a small group (2-5 players) or medium groups (10-20) or even solo? Sieges are for larger groups, and for large groups there will always something to do.. but it is more often than not more difficult to find a place for smaller scales of pvp.

Do we know anything about objectives in general?

Do we know anything about group tactics, character/class skills?

With other words i would be interested in a collection of all information around pvp/ava.

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Can't forget that all the attack animations still look awful, definitly throw that one in there.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Ok.. we know

- there is Cyrodiil a huge open zone (i believe to remember that it should be bigger than GW2 WvW zones)

- we can enter Cyrodiil past lvl10, and as much as i remember correctly we will be "upleveled" of some kind?

Thats about it.. as much as i can remember now.. can someone add more details, or correct me, if something wasn't really that exact or even wrong?

Do we know anything about different targets especially regarding the group scale? Objects or possibilities to play as a small group (2-5 players) or medium groups (10-20) or even solo? Sieges are for larger groups, and for large groups there will always something to do.. but it is more often than not more difficult to find a place for smaller scales of pvp.

With other words i would be interested in a collection of all information around pvp/ava.

Cyrodiil is about the size of all other zones combined.  It is truly massive.  PvP in this game is the least likely system that needs worrying about.  It's the PvE endgame that has me all sorts of worried.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Ok.. we know

This is what we know without people violating the NDA:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/game-guide/the-alliance-war

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txk859S630k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzBTfdzSdvo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlk00NIVtGY

There Is Always Hope!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The pvp or AvA (Alliance) is based on the RvR from DAoC..

There will be 3 skilltrees avaiable with typical PvP skills

there will be another skilltree with powerfull abilities for the emperor

every keep has 3 resource nodes ( mines, mills, farms) 

as long as the defenders own all 3 resource nodes, people can port in to help defence

there are 8 zones, probably 2 zones/ alliance, the emperor zone defended by undead... Personally i think the 8th zone is a dungeon.

pvP areas are consistent, but channeled, you and your whole guild are bound to the same battlefield.

these consistent zones will be reset every few months, so you will be able to face new opponents

there will be both personal rewards as group base rewards for fighting AvA.

there are PvE ellements in the PvP areas.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The pvp or AvA (Alliance) is based on the RvR from DAoC..

There will be 3 skilltrees avaiable with typical PvP skills

there will be another skilltree with powerfull abilities for the emperor

every keep has 3 resource nodes ( mines, mills, farms) 

as long as the defenders own all 3 resource nodes, people can port in to help defence

there are 8 zones, probably 2 zones/ alliance, the emperor zone defended by undead... Personally i think the 8th zone is a dungeon.

pvP areas are consistent, but channeled, you and your whole guild are bound to the same battlefield.

these consistent zones will be reset every few months, so you will be able to face new opponents

there will be both personal rewards as group base rewards for fighting AvA.

there are PvE ellements in the PvP areas.

This is the only thing I'm really wary of, I'd like to know more about this and would prefer that I have some control over what channel I'm part of.

Probably part of the cash shop.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

Click on "PVP"

damit I forgot about that site :-( lol

There Is Always Hope!

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Hmm...hi, you said pvp and instances together ...i'm out.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by SirBalin

If there are over a 1000 in an area and over 200 on one screen (which might increase by launch), what difference does it make lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

If there are over a 1000 in an area and over 200 on one screen (which might increase by launch), what difference does it make lol.

Its not instanced.... Its 8 full zones, they are consistent and only reset every few months.... However there are multiple channels of this 

There are thousands of people bound to this consistent area, and every day you join the same fight with the same people, mostly your guildies.... 

Just think of it, where PvE does not have servers, PvP does, and  if you call this PvP server an instance, the technically you might be correct, but to the players it should feel as a consistent part of the world.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Its not instanced.... Its 8 full zones, they are consistent and only reset every few months.... However there are multiple channels of this 

There are thousands of people bound to this consistent area, and every day you join the same fight with the same people, mostly your guildies.... 

Just think of it, where PvE does not have servers, PvP does, and  if you call this PvP server an instance, the technically you might be correct, but to the players it should feel as a consistent part of the world.

Thanks for the clarification. Does that mean when you say consistent part of the world that when one runs into the PVP area that there will not be a loading screen when it selects a channel?

There Is Always Hope!

Thanks for the clarification. Does that mean when you say consistent part of the world that when one runs into the PVP area that there will not be a loading screen when it selects a channel?

No, persistant means that when you return to that part of the world its still there and in the same fashion as you left it.

There will be short loadingtimes whenever zoning in TESO...

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

Iinstances = fail = its not a multiplayer / co-op game, its a multi massiv online role playing game. 

* yea i know I hate it. Anf the little green arrow to tell you where to go :P

Originally posted by ArzhAngel

Iinstances = fail = its not a multiplayer / co-op game, its a multi massiv online role playing game. 

* yea i know I hate it. Anf the little green arrow to tell you where to go :P

Brilliant post (not!). Instances really hurt WOW when that game closed its doors in 2005. /sarcasm off.

As far as multiplayer or co-op, the Skyrim crowd will prefer multiplayer because it is the lack of a multiplayer option in Skyrim that many wish existed which is why a multiplayer Mod was developed which failed. This game solves that. There will also be adventure zones as well PVP which we've been told has over a 1000 in an area and 200+ on a screen at one time. If that is not massive I don't know what is.

As far as the green arrow, this game is one of the few where it appears to be exploration based and not like WOW, WIldstar, etc where they basically pull you by the hand to the location and then tell you exactly where you would stand by looking on a minimap (a map that doesn't exist in this game). Exploration meant very little because everything was hub based. By the way, even Skyrim when you select a quest leads you to the location for much of the questing and that didn't seem to turn off the millions of players who loved that. What I like about Skyrim even though it did that is that even though it points you in the direction or you could use a spell to lead you there, you'll pass other points of interest along the way that may completely take you away from what you were intending to do. That is what makes these games so much fun.

We get it, you don't like themepark games and you are looking forward to EQnext, but you may actually enjoy this game if you educate yourself a little because it looks stupid when people post things that contradict reality.

There Is Always Hope!

• CavethugCavethug Member Posts: 4
    No idea what attack animations you're talking about, the ones I see look pretty good. The graphics on spells are sweet, and  Melee combat looks pretty sweet too.
    Not breaking anyone NDA, or anything of the sort. I'm just saying the animations I've seen look great compared to most games. I can't think of any other games out there that look better.
  • djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

The game needs open world pvp with full loot like in Ultima Online. I just dont understand how one of the first mmos to come out can get it right the first time. And have nothing but mostly letdowns from mmos since. Open world pvp gives a rush and thrill. I still play Ultima Online *cough* somewere were things are oldschool. I was in a dungeon the other night and a red came in i was carrying alot of coin I got while there and got a rush of being able to lose it all on a whim along with my items. Also in the elder scrolls series you could do things like join the thieves guild etc. why not have those kinds of abilitys with being able to thief things from the pockets of unsuspecting players.

You need to follow things more... this game HAS open world PvP. Cyrodiil is the PvP area, it's open world, not instanced, and it's HUGE, there are keeps there to take, and cities to visit, farms, lumber mills, and mines to occupy, this place is MASSIVE. So I don't know what else you want open world. This has more in common with UO than most games do. In UO  you couldn't PvP in towns either.