Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    TOR is a great game for casual players , every time i go on I see many people playing whether pvp or pve. About once every 2 or 3 weeks some disgruntled swg oldie will come on and do a negative post. Shame really,
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

I've had a very love hate relationship with this game. let's face most of us do want a successful star wars game. SWG was not successful, it was a great sandbox but it had very glaring issues. That aside, i started to sit back really wonder why i kept leaving this game.

I have to compare this to wow. In fact I came to the realization that I must compare all games to wow. The reason is simple, it is the most complete MMO on the market by leaps and bounds.

So, i've tried guild wars 2, swtor, and just about everything under the sun. I tried going back to wow and and i've tried all these mmo's. I don't stay with wow but i also don't stay with all these mmo's.

I look at swtor as i look at a ton of other games. With all the holy trinity talk and all the back and forth you have to realize that games just don't carry the complexity that wow does.

Completely customizeable interface. Threat meters, addons, organized raids and boss fights. When you get to end game in swtor , there is so much of what wow does that the game is just NOT complete.

Same goes with guild wars 2. THe end game pve is just not there.

I got sick of the same ol same ol with wow. After tbc i learned that the game was nothing but rep grind for gear that was replaced by another rep grind and after doing the same dungeon 25 times it got old. The problem with swtor and a lot of mmo's is they fail so hard to even make what wow does bad. Wow's rep grinds suck , the nonstop grinding sucks, but swtor doesn't even do what wow does wrong....right.

we take something simple as the world. Look at vanilla wow and compare that world to swtor (it is in it's vanilla stage). You didnt zone nonstop. Raiding was a challenge, it was hard and there were only a handful of guilds that could beat ragnarok in molten core early on. Even back then in 2004, it was more complex than swtor is today.

The game is not a success , it thrives on gambling boxes much like perfect world, aeria and all the other f2p companies. The game will have it's niche crows that are devoted but ultimately it failed at it's goal of providing a huge universe and taking a chunk of the market. It was hyped more than warhammer and although it didnt fail as bad, the game has taken a step that is basically saying "we made a game that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, now we dont belive in our product, and we can't really produce more so lets charge our subs a sub + cash shop".

The game is going to chug along but it will never gain the audience wow has, the audience gw2 has and it will survive but will it grow . The game is great as a leveling "single player experience" no doubt. It will constantly attract that crowd and it'll trhive off of charging people while they level. It will however, only hold a small portion of people in end game and it will have a very small niche crowd in that department because they are not "developing" the game. People don't need more flashpoints they need more polish, they need a more sturdy, complete game.

/end rant

tldr; it wont grow but it'll stay around the same just as all the other smaller mmo's

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Demmi77

I've had a very love hate relationship with this game. let's face most of us do want a successful star wars game. SWG was not successful, it was a great sandbox but it had very glaring issues. That aside, i started to sit back really wonder why i kept leaving this game.

I have to compare this to wow. In fact I came to the realization that I must compare all games to wow. The reason is simple, it is the most complete MMO on the market by leaps and bounds.

So, i've tried guild wars 2, swtor, and just about everything under the sun. I tried going back to wow and and i've tried all these mmo's. I don't stay with wow but i also don't stay with all these mmo's.

I look at swtor as i look at a ton of other games. With all the holy trinity talk and all the back and forth you have to realize that games just don't carry the complexity that wow does.

Completely customizeable interface. Threat meters, addons, organized raids and boss fights. When you get to end game in swtor , there is so much of what wow does that the game is just NOT complete.

I got sick of the same ol same ol with wow. After tbc i learned that the game was nothing but rep grind for gear that was replaced by another rep grind and after doing the same dungeon 25 times it got old. The problem with swtor and a lot of mmo's is they fail so hard to even make what wow does bad. Wow's rep grinds suck , the nonstop grinding sucks, but swtor doesn't even do what wow does wrong....right.

we take something simple as the world. Look at vanilla wow and compare that world to swtor (it is in it's vanilla stage). You didnt zone nonstop. Raiding was a challenge, it was hard and there were only a handful of guilds that could beat ragnarok in molten core early on. Even back then in 2004, it was more complex than swtor is today.

The game is not a success , it thrives on gambling boxes much like perfect world, aeria and all the other f2p companies. The game will have it's niche crows that are devoted but ultimately it failed at it's goal of providing a huge universe and taking a chunk of the market. It was hyped more than warhammer and although it didnt fail as bad, the game has taken a step that is basically saying "we made a game that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, now we dont belive in our product, and we can't really produce more so lets charge our subs a sub + cash shop".

The game is going to chug along but it will never gain the audience wow has, the audience gw2 has and it will survive but will it grow . The game is great as a leveling "single player experience" no doubt. It will constantly attract that crowd and it'll trhive off of charging people while they level. It will however, only hold a small portion of people in end game and it will have a very small niche crowd in that department because they are not "developing" the game. People don't need more flashpoints they need more polish, they need a more sturdy, complete game.

/end rant

tldr; it wont grow but it'll stay around the same just as all the other smaller mmo's

I'm reading through this and amazed someone could put it in words!

As a former WoW player myself, I can relate to your comparisons.  SWTOR tried to beat WoW by dumbing down WoW .. but essentially EA forgot to copy Vanilla WoW, when the game was a huge success .. instead they copied Cataclysm, during WoW's decline, but the bosses were all bugged :P .. the content didn't allow for social divisions and everyone was at end game twiddling their thumbs, doing huttball ... again, on a "random" PVP match.

Good read, thank you.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• SynthanSynthan Member Posts: 4
    My server seems pretty populated to me.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

SWTOR is an epic journey from start to level cap.

There's really no point playing after that. The core game is horrible and their endgame just doesn't live up to the sub fee.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    TOR is a great game for casual players , every time i go on I see many people playing whether pvp or pve. About once every 2 or 3 weeks some disgruntled swg oldie will come on and do a negative post. Shame really,

Actually I post (negatively) nearly every time I see a thread, but I don't really need to. The game does far more damage to itself than any negative SWG vet could. For anyone reading this who hasn't played it, go check out SWTOR, but have a backup plan for something to do when you abruptly uninstall that sapping piece of bore-candy.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

yea, they dont know much about mmos

and for some reason, they decided not to hire someone , who does

they had the biggest Cash cow in their hands,,but they wouldnt spend a dollar on a rope to keep it

their failure is well deserved

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Synthan
    My server seems pretty populated to me.

Some are, ones where people transfer from dead servers

Also Asia servers are dead, and will be literally dead from tomorrow when they shut down permanently

The game is declining bit by bit each day

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™

Reminder – One week from Asia Pacific Server Consolidation

Greetings,

We wanted to inform you that we are one week away from consolidating our Asia Pacific servers into our current West Coast North American servers. The consolidation will take place next week on Tuesday, August 13th. (please check the forums for specific maintenance timing).

Each of your characters on an Asia Pacific server is allowed a free one time transfer to any non-Asia Pacific server. Any characters remaining on an Asia Pacific server when the consolidation takes place will be moved to a West Coast North American server in order to provide a better overall gameplay experience.

Please follow the instructions below to begin your free character transfer: 

• Go to your "My Account" page by clicking on your username in the top right corner of SWTOR.com
    • On the left hand side, scroll down to Character Transfer
    • Once there, select your current APAC server and then the character you wish to transfer
    • Now select your destination server (where you want to move your character)
    • Press the transfer button

All remaining characters will be consolidated into the following servers on Tuesday, August 13th:

• Dalborra -> The Harbinger
    • Master Dar'Nala -> The Bastion
    • Gav Daragon -> Bergeren Colony

May the Force™ be with you,

The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Team

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
    image LUCASARTS™ BIOWARE™ EA™ image Mature image

image To unsubscribe or otherwise manage your email preferences, visit http://www.swtor.com/user/info.

LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. © 2013 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd. EA and the EA logo are trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Electronic Arts Inc. 209 Redwood Shores Parkway, Redwood City, CA 94065

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

The Asia servers are always low populated, took them THIS long to actually do something about it?

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by simplius

yea, they dont know much about mmos

and for some reason, they decided not to hire someone , who does

they had the biggest Cash cow in their hands,,but they wouldnt spend a dollar on a rope to keep it

their failure is well deserved

Well written.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Demmi77

GW2 is more of a pvp focused game, pve is just an afterthought, everytime I log on GW2 I go to the WvWvW or the structure pvp zone. We sometimes do those cave instances on weekends.

But I treat GW2 like an FPS game, it's all about the pvp. :P

• EolexEolex Member UncommonPosts: 20

I'm sorry but the OP has failed in his deductive reasoning as to why the servers may be failing. Let me first explain that I'm not a fan boy that praises the game for no reason, but I'm smart enough to know you can't judge s servers populace just by looking at fleet. 

The need to even be on fleet has diminished substantially. With FP/OP finder you no longer have to call out endlessly to find groups. also Makeb has a GTN on fleet and with legacy unlocks you can skip most of the convinence items that are located on fleet like the skill mentor. 

In the past 2 months I have been so mobile in swtor that I rarely ever see fleet. And when I do get there, is usually just using an authentication fleet pass to drop off some cargo and hit the free ride to one of the daily mission planets from the hanger kiosks. 

So, please OP, consider all the parameters as to why players might not be camping on fleet, maybe they are actually playing and enjoying all the content the game has to offer?

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

The Asia servers are always low populated, took them THIS long to actually do something about it?

It took them like almost a year to do server mergers when there were threads in January about server population being astoundingly low.

It took them nearly two years to get server transfers.

This is the slowest group of developers of any game I've ever played.

Originally posted by moveonyoulost
    Originally posted by Frostvein

It took them like almost a year to do server mergers when there were threads in January about server population being astoundingly low.

So what game do you compare their slow development too? Its obvious a few things here you have no clue about the content they have added since launch, the fixes since launch, and the improvements since launch. They continue to push out new content for example this week we get bounty contracts. Its clear you have listened to the Fab 3 way to long. If the Asian market was doing good you guys would qq they are focusing on Asia. You will spin any news any way you can. Did it lose players yes we know that's all the fab 3 has. Has it improved yes it has. Is it stable and healthy well those who actually play know it is.

Don't try to change the subject or the argument. I said it took nearly a year for server mergers. It did. I also said It took nearly two years for server transfers. It did. Unless anything has changed that I am aware of, ranked WZ's are still in preseason from over a year ago, despite the fact that it was supposed to be released in patch 1.2.

The pace in which things were and are added to this game is abysmal, especially when compared to GW2 and Rift. The only game I've played that might be slower is WoW, and at least WoW's updates are beefy and free, and aren't advertised as "digital expansions"

Further, don't try and tell me that I am unaware of what they've added since launch. I know a good portion of it was datamined back in Feb of 2012 (http://www.torhead.com/guide/leaks)  Meaning, they've had a large amount of this content ready to go since pre-launch. All they are doing now is breaking up their bigger patches that were mostly finished pre launch and are pushing then out as updates in smaller more frequent increments with 50000 cartel items.

In short, stop acting like you are the only informed person in this thread.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by gervaise1

Originally posted by jpnz

ROFL! Yep and I'm sure the fact it is financially successful is just making people at EA lose sleep. /ROFL!
    LOL. Source? Even the (then) CFO of EA said that at some point SWTOR had to be profitable or else .....

Financial analysts estimated $60M from 2M sales - not much is made from box sales (c. 20%) after production costs and the cut retailers like Amazon take. And even if they maintained 850k subs - the max number EA ever announced (just about half of 1.7M) up until they went F2P that would have only brought in just over $100m. And we know they didn't have 850k from launch until F2P ...

Games cost a lot of money to develop, even more if you have a big IP involved - and that's before operating costs. That was why SWTOR - before all the staff lay-offs etc. - needed 500k to break even (make a day-to-day profit) and 1M subs to recover its development costs. Had they managed it - even if they had kept 850k - they would have been very happy.

As it is the future - as presented by EA at E3 - is Star Wars Battlefield. SWTOR was not included in EA's current and future portfolio.

you didn't mention the cartel market, how come? some people just don't realize how much money that is making them.

its funny how people are always talking about how much money EA makes while ignoring the fact that a whole heck of a lot of people play this game currently, both F2P and subs.

the population really isn't going down much either from what i can tell, at least not on my server.

SWTOR is doing just fine for the time being, even if many of you don't personally like the game.

PWE makes crap tons of $ from suckers in STO's cash shop as well. Very few however, consider STO a great game.  WB is doing ok from LOTRO's item shop but the game itself is loosing traction in general.  One of the hurdles in the f2p world particularly in the western markets is avoiding the trap of designing content around a cash shop not the other way around.

Cash shops as the primary revenue driver in the western markets have some limitations to overcome still.

The two games I mentioned will probably IMO stay viable longer than SWTOR will for two primary reasons.

A. they run on engines they designed themselves and have full documentation for and know their @$$ from elbow in designing around it.

B.  Neither has to recoup the massive development cost EA/BW incurred by fielding the Jerries' kid of mmo's. 

EA's already downgraded SWTOR in it's own portfolio, weather or not they decide to cut their losses remains to be seen

So what game do you compare their slow development too? Its obvious a few things here you have no clue about the content they have added since launch, the fixes since launch, and the improvements since launch. They continue to push out new content for example this week we get bounty contracts. Its clear you have listened to the Fab 3 way to long. If the Asian market was doing good you guys would qq they are focusing on Asia. You will spin any news any way you can. Did it lose players yes we know that's all the fab 3 has. Has it improved yes it has. Is it stable and healthy well those who actually play know it is.

Don't try to change the subject or the argument. I said it took nearly a year for server mergers. It did. I also said It took nearly two years for server transfers. It did. Unless anything has changed that I am aware of, ranked WZ's are still in preseason from over a year ago, despite the fact that it was supposed to be released in patch 1.2.

The pace in which things were and are added to this game is abysmal, especially when compared to GW2 and Rift. The only game I've played that might be slower is WoW, and at least WoW's updates are beefy and free, and aren't advertised as "digital expansions"

Further, don't try and tell me that I am unaware of what they've added since launch. I know a good portion of it was datamined back in Feb of 2012 (http://www.torhead.com/guide/leaks)  Meaning, they've had a large amount of this content ready to go since pre-launch. All they are doing now is breaking up their bigger patches that were mostly finished pre launch and are pushing then out as updates in smaller more frequent increments with 50000 cartel items.

Again spin spin spin. I transfered servers a long time ago way before the two year mark. Oh you guys yes Make was listed back then but what they released was not exactly what they released for the expansion. All the raids they added were not done at launch, the flash points were not done at launch, legacy system was not, achievements were not, tree was not, new Mount was not, new tier gear was not, crafting level 30+ items was not etc. Etc. Etc. Oh I don't claim I know everything just claiming a few spin every detail to try and continue the Qqing. And everything except the Make has been free for those who sub.

1. Original server mergers weren't available till mid July 2012. That is 8 months after launch.

2. Paid server transfers weren't available until early July 2013. That is one year, 8 months after launch.

3. Yes, some of the raids they listed were done (or mostly completed) at launch.

A. All of 1.2 was datamined back in February. They released this mostly on schedule.

B. From originally datamined Patch 1.3

a. "Terror from Beyond" was supposed to be in patch 1.3, which was released on 6/28/2012. It wasn't actually released in game until patch 1.4 on 9/28/2012.

b.  HK-51 was supposed to be released in patch 1.3 as well. He was not released until patch 1.5 on 11/15/2012.

c.  "Titans of the industry" was set to be released in 1.3. This was not released in game until patch 2.3, which was released in game on 8/6/2013. Most of the Legacy

d.. Original Patch 1.4, which served as the basis of Makeb, wasn't released until the digtial expansion. They had planned it as a FREE CONTENT patch, and instead, they released it as an EXPANSION after the game tanked and they went F2P.

4. Legacy, Acheivements, (useless) Family tree and most of that other stuff you mentioned was supposed to be included in launch, but since they rushed the game out for the holidays they couldn't complete it in time. Further, I never said that they created Zero new content - just that a large portion of it was already done (or nearly done) pre launch.

Stop trying to change the argument to suit your rants. What I said here is 100% true, you can find this information on SWTORs website and TORHEAD via the link I gave you.

This development team has constantly over promised and under delivered.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Actually I post (negatively) nearly every time I see a thread, but I don't really need to. The game does far more damage to itself than any negative SWG vet could. For anyone reading this who hasn't played it, go check out SWTOR, but have a backup plan for something to do when you abruptly uninstall that sapping piece of bore-candy.

Like I said, Shame really, you are saying that you cannot find something good in any mmo?  Of course TOR needs improvements especially in the space game, but the story, animation and sound is fun for many of us. There are games I cannot get myself to play to often that I find dreadfully dull like WOW, rift, aion, eq2, but even these games had a few things in them that were kind of fun, just not enough

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Like I said, Shame really, you are saying that you cannot find something good in any mmo?  Of course TOR needs improvements especially in the space game, but the story, animation and sound is fun for many of us. There are games I cannot get myself to play to often that I find dreadfully dull like WOW, rift, aion, eq2, but even these games had a few things in them that were kind of fun, just not enough

TOR do some things right, but it have always severely lacked in the multiplayer department. Many MMO players do enjoy a good story and TOR have plenty of that but to keep most of your players (besides the bungee players all new MMOs get the first month) you need to offer good grouping as well as single player stories.

I just don't see how the game will get much more player unless they revamp the flashpoints and general group dynamics but I am not so sure EA is interested in coughing up enough money to do that.

If they actually fix that aspect, then the game can start to recover. If not I think the game slowly will bleed players for a long time.

But saying that the game have nothing good feels unfair, it is more that they put too much work into voice acting every side quest and not to much into group playing and that made many players play the game for a few weeks or a few months and then quit once they played out the story options.

While story might initially draw in many players good grouping keeps them play the game for a long time.

Again spin spin spin. I transfered servers a long time ago way before the two year mark. Oh you guys yes Make was listed back then but what they released was not exactly what they released for the expansion. All the raids they added were not done at launch, the flash points were not done at launch, legacy system was not, achievements were not, tree was not, new Mount was not, new tier gear was not, crafting level 30+ items was not etc. Etc. Etc. Oh I don't claim I know everything just claiming a few spin every detail to try and continue the Qqing. And everything except the Make has been free for those who sub.

1. Original server mergers weren't available till mid July 2012. That is 8 months after launch.

2. Paid server transfers weren't available until early July 2013. That is one year, 8 months after launch.

3. Yes, some of the raids they listed were done (or mostly completed) at launch.

A. All of 1.2 was datamined back in February. They released this mostly on schedule.

B. From originally datamined Patch 1.3

a. "Terror from Beyond" was supposed to be in patch 1.3, which was released on 6/28/2012. It wasn't actually released in game until patch 1.4 on 9/28/2012.

b.  HK-51 was supposed to be released in patch 1.3 as well. He was not released until patch 1.5 on 11/15/2012.

c.  "Titans of the industry" was set to be released in 1.3. This was not released in game until patch 2.3, which was released in game on 8/6/2013. Most of the Legacy

d.. Original Patch 1.4, which served as the basis of Makeb, wasn't released until the digtial expansion. They had planned it as a FREE CONTENT patch, and instead, they released it as an EXPANSION after the game tanked and they went F2P.

4. Legacy, Acheivements, (useless) Family tree and most of that other stuff you mentioned was supposed to be included in launch, but since they rushed the game out for the holidays they couldn't complete it in time. Further, I never said that they created Zero new content - just that a large portion of it was already done (or nearly done) pre launch.

Stop trying to change the argument to suit your rants. What I said here is 100% true, you can find this information on SWTORs website and TORHEAD via the link I gave you.

This development team has constantly over promised and under delivered.

Just to be clear, I did not change the subject, I pointed out your statement was false.  You went off on a rant after being called out.  Lets clarify what happen here...

Your original statement said " It took them nearly two years to get server transfers" that was incorrect it did not take two years to transfer servers it took 8 months,

My God, you are embarrassingly thick.

Let me make this abundantly clear -

SERVER MERGERS TOOK 8 MONTHS.

PAID SERVER TRANSFER SERVICE TOOK ONE YEAR, 8 MONTHS.

SERVER TRANSFERS and SERVER MERGERS are two DIFFERENT THINGS.

If you think that 8 months isn't nearly a year, fine. Argue semantics. I'll even GIVE you that point. It still took 8 months for server mergers, and 1 year, 8 months for a paid server transfer service.

how can you say your are 100% correct.  The link you post is nothing more then a schedule they hoped to keep.  Nowhere does its say anything about your points A, B, C, and D being Datamined.  Your just pulling that out of your arse like some others do on here.  It was nothing more then a blue print, a schedule a direction they hoped to go.  

Click on the actual links there smart guy. It specifically lists everything that was supposed to be released in that patch.

Here, Ill even do it for you since you apparently lack the intellectual capacity to manage this -

http://www.torhead.com/guide/leak-1.2

http://www.torhead.com/guide/leak-1.3

http://www.torhead.com/guide/leak-1.4

http://www.torhead.com/guide/leak-1.5

Do you have any idea how long it takes to make this content?  If you think games ANY game console or pc releases the game without having an idea of content update your sadly mistaken.  I agree some of it was being worked on before release, nothing wrong with that.  

Yes, I have a fair idea of how long it takes to generate content. I also see how long it takes comparable companies to deliver said content. Not only is SWTOR behind the curve on content, they are still operating in 2006 when it comes to in game features. Cross server anything is a pipe dream. No macros. No day night cycle. Barely any guild features.

Like I get it, you like this game. This doesn't change any of what I said.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Solo ez-mode MMORPGs where you have 95% solo content, not enough group-based content, and nowhere near enough challenge, end up getting played like single player games by most players.  Finish the solo ez-mode in a few days/weeks, maybe dabble in the weak endgame, and done.  Hardcores obliterate the solo ez-mode and mow thru the endgame and end up done pretty fast too.

SWTOR is just one of many such MMORPGs with the same poor design.  When you spend years and millions developing single player content that gets vaporized in days and spend little time on group content, endgame, or PvP such that endgame and PvP are usually incomplete, unbalanced, or worse at release...is it any wonder that player numbers drop dramatically shortly after release?

F2P isn't a solution.  It might make a few bucks or get a few new and different people to try the game but it doesn't fix the overall problem of MMORPGs that aren't really MMORPGs and that are glorified single player games.

It doesn't help that SWTOR just isn't that great of an overall game.  Some of the content is decent to play thru once...and unfortunately the solo content is probably the best content in the game....which isn't good for an MMORPG.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

F2P did not fix what ails the game. All it did was remove the biggest entry barrier to SWTOR - the initial game cost. The F2P model is so restrictive, that many F2P gamers came and went while some stuck around to subscribe or occasionally pony up cash to the Cartel market. F2P here is more like a very restrictive trial - - there is little doubt Bioware wants subscription fees more than actual F2P players. Double dip FTW.

I believe many subscribers move to preferred status (or completely stop playing) when they feel the end game no longer warrants a subscription fee. I think this is what most players see in most freemium theme park games anyway, but SWTOR players just get there a little quicker.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Voqar

Solo ez-mode MMORPGs where you have 95% solo content, not enough group-based content, and nowhere near enough challenge, end up getting played like single player games by most players.  Finish the solo ez-mode in a few days/weeks, maybe dabble in the weak endgame, and done.  Hardcores obliterate the solo ez-mode and mow thru the endgame and end up done pretty fast too.

SWTOR is just one of many such MMORPGs with the same poor design.  When you spend years and millions developing single player content that gets vaporized in days and spend little time on group content, endgame, or PvP such that endgame and PvP are usually incomplete, unbalanced, or worse at release...is it any wonder that player numbers drop dramatically shortly after release?

F2P isn't a solution.  It might make a few bucks or get a few new and different people to try the game but it doesn't fix the overall problem of MMORPGs that aren't really MMORPGs and that are glorified single player games.

It doesn't help that SWTOR just isn't that great of an overall game.  Some of the content is decent to play thru once...and unfortunately the solo content is probably the best content in the game....which isn't good for an MMORPG.

no mmo will ever launch with complete PVP and endgame content

they cant finish these, without the numbers and stats from actual users

even WoT are still tweaking the numbers each patch,,what does that tell you?

and they cant spend too many resources on them either, they need most on the casual content and bughunting

in short: youre best off in a hardcore niche game,,casual themeparks are almost bound to disappoint you

PS! holy..i just saw the EA logo in the TSW ad,,is this true? is EA really responsible for THREE of the

biggest mmo failures?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

It's recovering so well, that they just merged their Asia Pacific servers, the other night, with their Western ones.  /sarcasm

They had one chance to recover (jk, there never was a chance), with f2p, but blew it.  It's too restrictive and not enticing.  It's actually a detriment for new players.

The core game is still flawed though, so any hope of a recovery will not matter.

Major flaws of Swtor:

• Traveling/Zoning is akin to EQ2 at it's launch.  A very flawed system when most time is spent on clicking buttons, and watching loading screens.
    • Character Species are all humanoid, and there is no variety.
    • Mirrored classes for each faction.
    • 4 starter zones with 2 species sharing one.  Limtied replayability from the start, akin to EQ2 at it's launch.
    • Extreme linear gameplay.  You need to literally quest from A to B to C to progress through a zone.
    • Zones are disjointed and not explorable.  A friend told me earlier that they should've made several gigantic planets instead of so many smaller ones, which would've been a better idea.

There's obviously more that can be added, but these, in my opinion, are the major ones that made swtor fail.  And by fail, i mean going from almost 1 million players, and over a hundred servers, down to 8 total (NA).  No amount of spin can be positive when swtor had a budget of $100+ million, then goes f2p in around 6 months.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550
    No
  • SheritsukiSheritsuki Member UncommonPosts: 8

I recently downloaded the F2P version.

I was a subscriber from Day 1 and stopped my sub in June - very close to the Hutt Cartel Expansion.

So I skimmed the stickies quickly before redownloading it and thought "what the hey!" - I'll have preferred status and a bunch of Cartel Coins to spend up and purchase a few unlocks.

So I log in and firstly no Cartel Coins for me =( Seems I stopped subbing a few days before some release deadline so get nothing. Kick in the teeth, but oh well.

Had an issue with reactivating characters. No worries, contact support quickly - never had any issues with them before. Oh... Wait. I get NO ingame support whatsoever, no forum access to pose a simple question and no email to send them the problem.

It's cool - I sorted it with several restarts. Yay - I'm playing ... and yes .. I am actualy enjoying it (so Nyahh!)

I liked the graphics. I liked the Storylines. Hell I even like the Space Combat. I raided alot when I first started so all my toons had pretty good gear - but I need to now purchase the expansion to actually start using them. No worries. You know what ? I like Star Wars. I liked this game. Screw it - I'll buy the expansion. Oh! Wait! I hammered the buy now buttons but it never progresses to a payment screen. K, so I tried 3 different browsers over 2 days. No luck. I want to buy. I can't. I also cannot contact support. Yay!

Ok. You know what I want an MMO (or close) to play atm, so I think I'll actually sub. Maybe this will make buying the expansion easier or give me another option. I doubt they'll refuse my money ... lol (?)

Yeah, you guessed it. I cannot sub either. Brilliant. I am (was) willing to buy the expansion and am (was) willing to sub. I can't contact support unless I phone at a cost or install Skype. Can I be bothered to jump through hoops now ? Not really if I am honest.

Will SWTOR ever recover ?

Highly skeptical about that. If you cannot even organise a system whereby your customers, new or returning cannot actually give you any money. Also - who's fantastic marketing idea was it to stop you contacting even the most basic of support ?

What I will do is continue to tool around on my low level toon for free until I'm bored or something takes my eye and maybe even my cash.

This discussion has been closed.