Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad Community

BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

I played this game back since beta had been gone a year.

Went back spent money on Patron, mounts and other items only to find out the community in this game is really bad and the mods just let stuff go and go.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    You've never played Tera. The only subject in general chat is the fixation that the player of a Popori avatar might be/is a pedophile.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422

The game went free to play and all the rift-raft came in with it. 

see what I did here ^

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Datastar

see what I did here ^

Very true I played Rift when was subscription based and community was as good as lotro back in the days then free to play made it what it is now :(

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

see what I did here ^

HAHAHA..nice one. :P

on the topic : which server are you on? there is one particular server in US region which is terrible. i don't remember the name of the server, if anyone from that server creates a thread in forums it is always troll thread and get locked(and deleted) almost instantly. GM's tried to "educate" that server before going f2p but it went worse, so they just basically leave it alone. i don't know if you are in that server, my condolences. i am playing in eu blightweald server and this one is really good and helpful, of course there are occasional jerks(as expected of f2p) but overall very nice. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

see what I did here ^

lol. +2

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I was subbed to Rift all through Vanilla. I thought the community was pretty good. Back when it was P2P...........oh wait
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    At one point RIFT had a solid community. I actually thought about loading it up and trying it out again tonight. I guess the thing that bothers me OP is how very long its been since I read a game forum where someone wrote about how good a game's community is. I can't blame F2P, I mean look how bad WOW was during its pure subscription days. EVE is still pretty legendary for griefing and racist BS. I guess  the last time I read people writing about how good a community was happened before LOTRO went F2P and they went downhill from there. I guess I don't really care about why game communities online suck so badly anymore its just a given fact that if it lasts long enough some one will forget to flush the toilet. What I would really like to see though is good communities rise from the ashes in games once more.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Binafus

Went back spent money on Patron, mounts and other items only to find out the community in this game is really bad and the mods just let stuff go and go. 

What do you expect them to do? Ban everyone?

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Vanguard has an awesome community!

Back on topic: I had such a great experience in Rift. I got the full deal on raptr giveaway and was seriously thinking of subbing. The community on Argent was awesome, I could play the game how I wanted and everything was just peachy. Then the Sundering came:

Icewatch EU server closed because it was overcrowded and every server was a target of a massive Flood(the Flood Heh!) of well...the Flood to be polite. Ticks and stuff. Chat deteriorated over night(literally!). When I fired my Rift in the morning...it wasn't my Rift. It was someone else's Rift. The fact that they changed the brightness of High Elves hair didn't exactly help because I felt like I was playing some characters and not mine! Rifts that I enjoyed soloing or grouping 2-4 for major ones quickly became death traps filled with 50k hp creatures at lvl 10 lol!(and those were the new minor Rifts!). Invasions turned from skilled pulling, Healing, switching aggro etc to random spam on over 15 mil hp boss that randomly one shots people(often without any indication because game kept bugging out because of all the..."players"). Yo momma, chuck norris jokes and random obnoxious talk(like what was he eating or how he "banged" a girl) started popping out.

And that was on Argent. The peaceful EU RP server that left quite an impression on me. So did the switch to f2p. I'd rather have 1000 players of Vanguard quality than 1000000 players of f2p quality. Tyvm!

Overall the switch had a very negative influence on me. There is basically nothing left in Rift for me...

If vanguard had the old 2 faction server back, I bet there would be another nice chunk of players.  Pve is just plain boring.  Fighting AI is just nothing close to the feeling I had even in pencil and paper dungeons and dragons where in effect it was always PvP because you had to deal with a living breathing dungeon master, not some cosmetic lore and pixels respawning endlessly.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    The paying community is great Vs the free community sucks doesn't carry much weight after you have played WoW......
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV

see what I did here ^

Very true I played Rift when was subscription based and community was as good as lotro back in the days then free to play made it what it is now :(

Thats why i gave up on rift and moved on to FF14 :)

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

I came back after a year away for free2play and i have to disagree with you. The community on my server is very helpful. There are the few chat trolls but thats about it everyone seems to answer most peoples questions and joins up to help. Maybe its your server but i think your wrong the community was way worse at release than it is now because most of the elitist asshats moved on long ago.

EDIT----- after reading some other responses i see where this is going. This thread is wow troll bait.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I played on the main RP server. Community was great. I haven't experienced the game as F2P.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I played on the main RP server. Community was great. I haven't experienced the game as F2P.

I was on that same server. I've tried. It's different.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Don't they have separate servers for free to play?

I came back after playing before it went FTP and when I logged in, they told me I had to switch servers because I was a patron.

So, I switched all my toons to Threesprings.

So far, I don't have any griefs with the community.  It does get a little annoying being asked to join a guild all the time.  I must get from 3-4 requests a night when I play.

One thing that I really like is the cash shop even though I pay monthly.  If I want something to make the game more enjoyable and I have a few bucks to spare, I can buy something.

• Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    For the most part, it had a great community until it went f2p.
  • CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52

and it was a great fair game rewarding tho better players. F2P brought pay to skip stuff that eventually led to many of us who had been subed since the very start to leave. To give you an example the week the game went f2p 4-5 people within my guild had spent ~150euros and were able to get BiS relic greaters full new set of runes and a fairly big stockpile of the new relic level powerstones.

All that on day one. I have been a part of top end targeting guilds (such as Faith (eu 2nd gbs/ros) Purge2Win (eu 2nd HK) and XLII/PB/Favouritism (basically the same "base" guild through a few merges)) and never had a single problem keeping up with whatever grind or new addition. I was amongst the first to cap PA T1, and quite possibly the first in EU to cap T2 PA as well. I got to 855PA within the first week of T3 PA in SL (aka maxed out on all SP/mainstat bonuses).

The unfairness of a f2p model simply made people like me who achieved things in-game quite irrelevant. There might be no substitute for skill, but F2P simply added an extra detail in the fine print in the chase for the top skilled players and mmo purists such as my self cant accept. Wasnt by by luck the guild disbanded within a week of f2p. :) My 12 month rift sub cost 95,88. The "free" model simply costs a lot more.

Anyway, the overall point, the old , good, rift community is gone. Go in expecting the same lowlifes you meet in WoW and the rest of the f2p mmo trashpile

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

You can thank the free to play syndrom for this.  It's why I don't play F2P games, well, and the fact they are free to play for a reason, just bad games. I prefer the subscription model, keeps a lot of the rift raft out.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• cibetkacibetka Member UncommonPosts: 7
    So you are one of those people who think it must be good if its expensive. Your kind really makes traders rich and happy :)
  • BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    that's funny I just came back after a long break and thought just the opposite.... way better community than the last mmo I was on ( wow)
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

general channels on faeblight were a cesspool after the faction chat merge.  It was awful.

Overall community was decent though.  A bit antisocial, but thats par for the course these days.

As with all MMOs today, its all about finding a guild.  Even WoW, if you take the best 75% of that community its as good as any other games best 75%. Its just that subset that trolls trade chat and act like complete asses in LFR are unbearable.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Dkompoze

I came back after a year away for free2play and i have to disagree with you. The community on my server is very helpful. There are the few chat trolls but thats about it everyone seems to answer most peoples questions and joins up to help. Maybe its your server but i think your wrong the community was way worse at release than it is now because most of the elitist asshats moved on long ago.

EDIT----- after reading some other responses i see where this is going. This thread is wow troll bait.

It's the classic "Games went F2P, community goes bad" thread. My experience in Rift was good as well with friendly and helpful people. But then again, you look at the community here and then you wonder about the fact that there aren't many elitist asshats left in the game like you said and then it's obvious why they don't like it.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    I am not finding this to be the case at all. Yes there was an influx of asshats in chat initially after the F2P, but it's died off quite a bit now and things are back to normal pretty much... I think people just have an irrational fear of the supposed negative effects of F2P and look really hard for them so they can jump around excitedly and point to the saying, "look here! F2P made it TERRIBLE!!!1!1". Pretty much all MMOGs have terrible aspects of their community, including subscription based MMOGs. No one can honestly sit there with a straight face and tell me that WoW's community isn't one of the worst in the genre...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by Betaguy

You can thank the free to play syndrom for this.  It's why I don't play F2P games, well, and the fact they are free to play for a reason, just bad games. I prefer the subscription model, keeps a lot of the rift raft out.

Lol, people with their flawed logic... Tell me, how many sub games are still viable and don't have a bad community? Exactly, none. How can you really think that paying for a sub service will keeps the asshats out of the game when nearly every MMO since WoW showed us that asshats are everywhere, sub or not? Also calling F2P games bad games is just silly, sure most F2P MMO are bad, but some are better or on par with some triple A, just like in other genre. I know I will always prefer to try and maybe put some money into a F2P game that I may end up liking then throwing my money out on the new triple A game made by X just to be disappointed for the X time because it ends up being the same old stuff or something that sounded nice on paper but was really terrible in reality. Actually, I'm kinda glad that people who think like you do don't play F2P games, communities will only be better.

Originally posted by Darkholme
    I am not finding this to be the case at all. Yes there was an influx of asshats in chat initially after the F2P, but it's died off quite a bit now and things are back to normal pretty much... I think people just have an irrational fear of the supposed negative effects of F2P and look really hard for them so they can jump around excitedly and point to the saying, "look here! F2P made it TERRIBLE!!!1!1". Pretty much all MMOGs have terrible aspects of their community, including subscription based MMOGs. No one can honestly sit there with a straight face and tell me that WoW's community isn't one of the worst in the genre...

Same here. Sure when a games goes F2P you will see an influx of asshats, but it usually doesn't last long. MMORPGs in general tend to have the worst communities ever (well, since WoW). Just look at EvE and how bad their community can be, just like WoW.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Originally posted by Betaguy

Lol, people with their flawed logic... Tell me, how many sub games are still viable and don't have a bad community? Exactly, none. How can you really think that paying for a sub service will keeps the asshats out of the game when nearly every MMO since WoW showed us that asshats are everywhere, sub or not? Also calling F2P games bad games is just silly, sure most F2P MMO are bad, but some are better or on par with some triple A, just like in other genre. I know I will always prefer to try and maybe put some money into a F2P game that I may end up liking then throwing my money out on the new triple A game made by X just to be disappointed for the X time because it ends up being the same old stuff or something that sounded nice on paper but was really terrible in reality. Actually, I'm kinda glad that people who think like you do don't play F2P games, communities will only be better.

Originally posted by Darkholme

Same here. Sure when a games goes F2P you will see an influx of asshats, but it usually doesn't last long. MMORPGs in general tend to have the worst communities ever (well, since WoW). Just look at EvE and how bad their community can be, just like WoW.

Dude please, no logic allowed here.

Can't you see we are trying to prove F2P is bad here? F2P has ruined everything. if you ever wondered why the US government shut down, it's because of the damned F2P. If it wasn't for F2P, we would have been colonising Mars by now. There wouldn't be any Wars anywhere and we would all be living the perfect life if that system didn't exist.