Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV vs GW2?

2»

Comments

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Actually, as the original poster, it wasn't meant as a troll. I did lie though when I said I "Read up" on the game. I am very busy lately and wanted to know some cool features (cliff notes) about the game and how it compared to GW2, which I hated. That game was very trite and boring.

I know that FF has tab-targeting and Realm vs Realm release at a later date, that's about it. I did buy it though to try, as $22 isn't exactly a lot of money to try something. 

Back to flaming. ;)

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by CallsignVega
    Looking at FFIXV, it looks a lot like GW2 (a bad thing).

Um.  No.  Apparently you know little to nothing about one or both.

GW2 is a single player game.  More specifically, a massively single player game.  Even in 5 mans it's 5 soloists sharing a chat and instance.  GW2 has unstructured grouping.  There are no roles (no trinity).  In GW2 you have a minimal number of skills so it plays more like a dumbed down console game than a real MMORPG.  It has some elements of MMORPGs but it's ultimately not really an MMORPG to me.  GW2 is an ok game to dabble in for a little while but it's ultimately lacking since it's not really an MMORPG.

TESO is going the way of GW2.  It will also be a bunch of soloists who can do everything running around with no structured grouping, no roles, and similar non-grouping.  TESO is pretty much going to be a GW2 clone/reskin with even fewer MMORPG elements (they've said there will be no AH, no boss type mobs, no real endgame progression, best gear thru crafting, basically not an MMORPG and just a weak version of skyrm online with meaningless/pointless multiplayer).

It kind of looks like EQN is going the same direction AND is going to start off F2P, which is like saying here's a crappy console style game that resembles a turd floating in a polluted toilet you wouldn't want to be anywhere near.  But it's gonna have destructible content.  OMG!!!  That's so important that let's make it one of our 4 main design principles.  Inc quality...yah, right.

FFXIV may end up being yet more of the same of the post WoW clones with way too much emphasis on solo ez-mode and way too little group-oriented content and challenge.  We shall see.  But it's not going to be anything like GW2.  It has real classes, structured role-oriented grouping, it'll have endgame progression, etc - more typical elements of real MMORPGs.

If you look thru the class skills it looks like skills are fairly streamlined compared to many other beefy MMORPGs but that's not necessarily a bad thing since repetition (lots of skills that do the same thing) is kind of pointless, and with the way you can level ALL classes on any one toon and blend skills from classes you know into your current class or job, it adds to your potential total number of skills and gives some interesting potential for customization.  The class system in general in FFXIV is an interesting twist on the norm and is dramatically more robust than the limited/narrow simplicity in GW2.

FFXIV is bringing some new twists to the typical table with the different class/job system, some twists on typical hub based questing cheese, and more I'm sure.

Probably the only major similarity between FFXIV and GW2 is the "public quests" (events in GW2, FATES in FF), and public quests have been around and been done in other games so it's not like it's something being copied from GW2.  PQs are a nice mix and alternative to typical questing and when done well are good fun.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Actually, as the original poster, it wasn't meant as a troll. I did lie though when I said I "Read up" on the game. I am very busy lately and wanted to know some cool features (cliff notes) about the game and how it compared to GW2, which I hated. That game was very trite and boring.

I know that FF has tab-targeting and Realm vs Realm release at a later date, that's about it. I did buy it though to try, as $22 isn't exactly a lot of money to try something. 

Back to flaming. ;)

You weren't wrong (though should've done more research). There are things the two games share in common, and Yoshi took inspiration from some of the features GW2 has, which people can clearly see once they take off their fanshades.

- That said, the games do feel very different. And it's really going to come down to what's more important to you. Game mechanics (complex & interesting systems), or aesthetics (gorgeous looking graphics).

That said, you are posting in a FF forum. Which is about as productive towards finding accurate comparisons / critiques of the game as it was over on the star wars forums. Let the misinformation, erm flaming re-commence.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

The only similarity is the amount of people riding the hype trains pre-launch.

Few questions

in what way does it have more longevity than say, TOR or GW2?

in what way is crafting different than the standard gather-process-craft of GW2 and other games?

Do they use excessive monster stacking in PvE zones? This is pretty much a dealbreaker for me in GW2. Can't take 5 steps in some of the zones without being swarmed by a bunch of pointless trash which has no other purpose besides filling an empty space. That's one of my dislikes with modern MMOs. They use filler mobs to slow the players down.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

The differences I see are. GW2 is a game that people like and FFIV is a complete failure that had to be completely redone to try and save itself, and now tries to hype it up as something special.

in other words, they are NOTHING alike

That's My Opinion.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by aesperus

Back to flaming. ;)

You weren't wrong (though should've done more research). There are things the two games share in common, and Yoshi took inspiration from some of the features GW2 has, which people can clearly see once they take off their fanshades.

- That said, the games do feel very different. And it's really going to come down to what's more important to you. Game mechanics (complex & interesting systems), or aesthetics (gorgeous looking graphics).

That said, you are posting in a FF forum. Which is about as productive towards finding accurate comparisons / critiques of the game as it was over on the star wars forums. Let the misinformation, erm flaming re-commence.

Care to comment further on the underlined part? Just curious to hear your reasoning/thoughts.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Voqar
    Looking at FFIXV, it looks a lot like GW2 (a bad thing).

Um.  No.  Apparently you know little to nothing about one or both.

GW2 is a single player game.  More specifically, a massively single player game.  Even in 5 mans it's 5 soloists sharing a chat and instance.  GW2 has unstructured grouping.  There are no roles (no trinity).  In GW2 you have a minimal number of skills so it plays more like a dumbed down console game than a real MMORPG.  It has some elements of MMORPGs but it's ultimately not really an MMORPG to me.  GW2 is an ok game to dabble in for a little while but it's ultimately lacking since it's not really an MMORPG.

TESO is going the way of GW2.  It will also be a bunch of soloists who can do everything running around with no structured grouping, no roles, and similar non-grouping.  TESO is pretty much going to be a GW2 clone/reskin with even fewer MMORPG elements (they've said there will be no AH, no boss type mobs, no real endgame progression, best gear thru crafting, basically not an MMORPG and just a weak version of skyrm online with meaningless/pointless multiplayer).

It kind of looks like EQN is going the same direction AND is going to start off F2P, which is like saying here's a crappy console style game that resembles a turd floating in a polluted toilet you wouldn't want to be anywhere near.  But it's gonna have destructible content.  OMG!!!  That's so important that let's make it one of our 4 main design principles.  Inc quality...yah, right.

FFXIV may end up being yet more of the same of the post WoW clones with way too much emphasis on solo ez-mode and way too little group-oriented content and challenge.  We shall see.  But it's not going to be anything like GW2.  It has real classes, structured role-oriented grouping, it'll have endgame progression, etc - more typical elements of real MMORPGs.

If you look thru the class skills it looks like skills are fairly streamlined compared to many other beefy MMORPGs but that's not necessarily a bad thing since repetition (lots of skills that do the same thing) is kind of pointless, and with the way you can level ALL classes on any one toon and blend skills from classes you know into your current class or job, it adds to your potential total number of skills and gives some interesting potential for customization.  The class system in general in FFXIV is an interesting twist on the norm and is dramatically more robust than the limited/narrow simplicity in GW2.

FFXIV is bringing some new twists to the typical table with the different class/job system, some twists on typical hub based questing cheese, and more I'm sure.

Probably the only major similarity between FFXIV and GW2 is the "public quests" (events in GW2, FATES in FF), and public quests have been around and been done in other games so it's not like it's something being copied from GW2.  PQs are a nice mix and alternative to typical questing and when done well are good fun.

Finally, a post worth reading. I admitted I did very little research on FF as I just found out about it. I do know a lot about GW2 as I played that to max "level" in the first few months, and that game is horrible. 

I did pre-order FF for $22, so I will be giving it a shot. You are right about all the other games on the list besides FF, they aren't even worth looking twice at.

The only games over the next few years that hold any of my interest are Camelot Unchained and Black Desert online.

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    You get 30 days to decide if you like it or not, and consider this is the only game to launch with level 50 players, meaning you'd get an idea how endgame is sooner than what you'd get from other mmo launches.
  • simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93
    GW2 is a game that tries to do everything but fails at everything. They promised e-sport quality PVP and failed miserably at that. The WvWvW is fun for a while but not enough to prop up a game with lame PVE. The endgame is pretty much nonexistent. You get what you pay for.  FFXIV is a sub, so there will be contant updates, not the superficial content you see with GW2. Real endgame is a huge difference.  Also -- FFXIV is easy in the beginning, like GW2, but later on the difficulty gets harder and harder. This doesn't happen with GW2. It stays easy the whole time. The PVE is literally a joke in GW2. Lastly there is very little teamwork in GW2. It's a single player experience. FFXIV has more focus on group play and dynamics
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Simple, you think this game is like GW2 you have been reading some very odd reviews lol. Polar opposites /thread
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

People are ripping on GW2 for being single player? For being dumbed down console?

FFXIV is even more solo friendly than GW2 --- it has a cross server group finder which INCLUDES THE 24 MAN DUNGEON.

FFXIV is a console game hence a lot of players will be using controllers which means there will be tons of extremely bad players.

Despite not having a monthly fee GW2 has had more constant updates than any other MMO in history for free.

The classes in GW2 have many different build and stat options while in FFXIV any class is virtually identical to anyone else playing the same class.

The combat system / mechanics in GW2 in terms of dodging, gap closers, different types of knockbacks, unique CC like walls, clones, stealth, combo fields, etc. is far superior the the extremely basic 12+ year old tab target 2.5s GCD in FFXIV.

The only point I agree with is that the trinity system will make dungeons more interesting as GW2 is very much 5 solo players doing their own thing which gets old.

The reality is that GW2 does a lot of things right. It has been out for a year and people are looking for something new which is normal for any buy2play game. If people really think that FFXIV is going to have everlasting content they will be in for a rude awakening.

• BensorBensor Member UncommonPosts: 66
    FF14 is far better than GW2. I've played both.
  • SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Guild Wars 2 in my opinion is just not a very attractive title, I quit after reaching 80 with Necromancer finding out that, the pets were so bugged and from what I could tell no near future patch even though the game had been out for 2-3 months. So I quit and gave the account to my little brother, who played until 30 and said he would much rather be playing something else, I laughed and agreed with him, and I've not seen/touched the title sense. Not to say that Guild Wars 2 does not have some charm interesting PvP and I loved the art design for the game.

I won't sit here and say that FFXIV will kick GW2 ass, I could not tell you that but GW2 already died in my eyes, so its not much of a fight for FFXIV. (Only in my eyes.)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Nihilist

People are ripping on GW2 for being single player? For being dumbed down console?

FFXIV is even more solo friendly than GW2 --- it has a cross server group finder which INCLUDES THE 24 MAN DUNGEON.

FFXIV is a console game hence a lot of players will be using controllers which means there will be tons of extremely bad players.

Despite not having a monthly fee GW2 has had more constant updates than any other MMO in history for free.

The classes in GW2 have many different build and stat options while in FFXIV any class is virtually identical to anyone else playing the same class.

The combat system / mechanics in GW2 in terms of dodging, gap closers, different types of knockbacks, unique CC like walls, clones, stealth, combo fields, etc. is far superior the the extremely basic 12+ year old tab target 2.5s GCD in FFXIV.

The only point I agree with is that the trinity system will make dungeons more interesting as GW2 is very much 5 solo players doing their own thing which gets old.

The reality is that GW2 does a lot of things right. It has been out for a year and people are looking for something new which is normal for any buy2play game. If people really think that FFXIV is going to have everlasting content they will be in for a rude awakening.

I have been playing GW2 since beta and you really have no clue what you are talking about in your comparisons with FF14. GW2 has to modes, solo and zerg. FF14 has solo content but even that has teamed parts to your personal story and the dungeon finder helps you find people to team with and unlike GW2 you have to play to your class roles unlike GW2.

Console gamers are not bad gamers and even ANet has a team working on trying to port the game to consoles. So you poking the stick with the wrong end. The updates for GW2 have been ok at best but I have had some fun playing them even if I dont like how they are delivered. 

As for Classes being all the same, this is where you know nothing about FF14, read up on the job class system and you will see what FF14 is miles ahead of GW2. I can make a class and spec into a role a team can use. This is way better then a bunch of classes that just DPS different like in GW2. Eash has 10% something else, like CC or heals but every char and team dynamic is as deep as DPS. I play a guardian in GW2 and the deeper I spec into support the more usless I become to my team.

GW2 combat is a yawn at best, it gives you a twitchy dodge mechanic that has more to do with reflexes then thought. If I wana play a twitch game I will play Halo. In the end GW2 has done some things right. As a MMO fan, I would pick FF14 over GW2 in a heart beat but I will always come back to GW2 for a snack. Its F2P and costs me nothing to go play some WvW. Its not a full course meal like FF14. Its just a side thought in a very large world of games.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I have been playing GW2 since beta and you really have no clue what you are talking about in your comparisons with FF14. GW2 has to modes, solo and zerg. FF14 has solo content but even that has teamed parts to your personal story and the dungeon finder helps you find people to team with and unlike GW2 you have to play to your class roles unlike GW2.

Console gamers are not bad gamers and even ANet has a team working on trying to port the game to consoles. So you poking the stick with the wrong end. The updates for GW2 have been ok at best but I have had some fun playing them even if I dont like how they are delivered. 

As for Classes being all the same, this is where you know nothing about FF14, read up on the job class system and you will see what FF14 is miles ahead of GW2. I can make a class and spec into a role a team can use. This is way better then a bunch of classes that just DPS different like in GW2. Eash has 10% something else, like CC or heals but every char and team dynamic is as deep as DPS. I play a guardian in GW2 and the deeper I spec into support the more usless I become to my team.

GW2 combat is a yawn at best, it gives you a twitchy dodge mechanic that has more to do with reflexes then thought. If I wana play a twitch game I will play Halo. In the end GW2 has done some things right. As a MMO fan, I would pick FF14 over GW2 in a heart beat but I will always come back to GW2 for a snack. Its F2P and costs me nothing to go play some WvW. Its not a full course meal like FF14. Its just a side thought in a very large world of games.

The point is that FFXIV has a group finder which caters to solo people. Anyone can solo to max level, and anyone can do dungeons as a solo player with the group finder. Have you even FATE farmed? Its exactly the same as GW2 where a zerg runs from event to even doing a mindless grind. If anything, FFXIV stole this method of farming directly from GW2.

Sorry but it is highly unlikely that console players will be able to keep up with PC players especially in difficult content which involves managing multiple skills bars / macros / target order. I am sure most console players don't even know what a macro is.

Also sorry but you are completely wrong about classes in FFXIV. What they have put together is the most basic cookie cutter class and stat system possible. There are virtually ZERO choices involved in building a character. Every warrior will be be exactly the same as any other.

GW2 allows you to choose between many stats for every single class. A ranger that goes precision and condition damage plays much differently than one that goes power / toughness / precision. There are real choices and one class has many different ways to play. GW2 has the trait system which is akin to talent trees in other games. FFXIV HAS NO TALENT TREE AT ALL. Its not like I can choose between a dps or a tank Warrior, the game TELLS me what I can do.

GW2 combat is yawn? It has no GCD, while FFXIV is 2.5s for nearly every skill. That alone makes the combat system a decade old. From a technical standpoint FFXIV is extremely basic, there are very few ability that do things physically on the battlefield while GW2 has dozens of these types of skills (fields, walls, etc.).

The fact is you got to 80 which means you experienced what GW2 was supposed to offer. It is not designed to be played forever at 80 unless you enjoy WvW. To bash the game based on it class / combat system shows a complete lack of understanding of the technical merits of a game engine.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Looking at FFIXV, it looks a lot like GW2 (a bad thing). Could anyone provide any insight as to what will make this game better than what is currently done/out there?

Seriously, did you actually do any research before making this thread?image