Refer your friends and collect new Battle Droid pets!
With a growing galaxy of exciting multiplayer adventures, there’s never been a better time to invite your friends to join or rejoin Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!
Our newly enhanced Friends of SWTOR program now offers more rewards and benefits for you and your friends:
- All active Subscribers can refer new friends or invite back previous Subscribers by using a simple referral link.
- Referred friends who join receive new exclusive benefits:
- New Players receive the Jumpstart Bundle for faster leveling.
- Previous Subscribers receive 7 days of subscription access, one Complimentary Character Transfer for the lifetime of the account, and the Preferred Friends Bundle with special convenience and customization unlocks.
- Referrers earn Cartel Coins, the Kurtob Alliance Speeder, and adventurous Battle Droid pets when their referred friends become Subscribers within 14 days of joining.
Traditionally in WoW, Blizzard would give away a free month + a perk (like a mount) for those who refer a friend.
EA seems to be getting rather desperate if they are giving away not only free time, a mount, a pet, and Cartel Coins to spend, but also a transfer + Cartel Market convenience / customization unlocks. Unless I'm not reading this correctly.
Since the emphasis is still on getting people to subscribe, I wonder if the cashshop is losing some of it's gas. 1/4 of a month free, compared to WoW's 1 full month places that emphasis on a paid subscription, with just barely enough free time so the official forum dwellers can say "you get free game time, don't be a whiner".
I wonder if this subscription push is because a subscription constitutes a dedicated stream of revenue, whereas the cashshop content is not guaranteed (and it's a safer bet to use a model that generates the highest cash return - no longer the cashshop).
It seems like this is a desperate cry for more players, since EA put so much stress in past earnings calls about how successful the cashshop is. If the cashshop is so successful why give so much away for free, just so someone can sub a month @ $15?
Alternatively, EA could be relying on existing accounts to create a 2nd fake account in order to get the mount and pet? But 1 free lifetime transfer? sheesh...better to transfer by referring yourself? Perhaps they are foreseeing a closure of more servers to make transfers eventually obsolete, or they realize that most people who wanted to transfer have already done so (and likely will not do so again)? Or it just looks nice to investors to have 1 account open a new account everytime they want to do a transfer .. or a new account for each character they have, such that each toon can receive the rewards?
So it's either (1) a cashgrab against existing players, or (2) evidence that the cashshop isn't generating as much money as monthly sub's, or (3) a cry for help .. or () = ?