Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The population appears to be growing still.

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
Now we're up to at least four FULL servers again. A few months back they boosted the server caps when eight or so wound up full, and the eyes of any dedicated WvW players will assure you they've never been reduced. This is definitely a good sign for the game, but sadly it also means if we want to squeeze more guilds in for WvW on JQ we'll have to organize black out events again, or possibly find times it dips to very high as time zones log off...

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

...until this weekend.

After the dungeon changes some people (me included) are giving less time to gw2. :(

But i do belive Anet will hear its players and change back to how it was.

PS: here some context https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Hard-Dungeon-Token-Nerf

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Yeah yeah yeah... the bearer of good news about GW2 shall not go unpunished on these forums, I know. image  I like to inject a little bit of reality based data on occasion though to keep things real. It's easy to claim the game (or any game for that matter) is dead, however not so easy when faced with actual data that it's far from it. 

About the tokens, I have to ask... what do you do with so many tokens anyhow? People there were talking about hundreds of tokens per day for CoF... for the life of me once you have the gear you want I can't see why you'd keep collecting more.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

...until this weekend.

After the dungeon changes some people (me included) are giving less time to gw2. :(

PS: here some context https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Hard-Dungeon-Token-Nerf

Doubtful.

Believe it or not, Anet actually DOESN'T want people farming this game. Which is funny, because a lot of players just keep searching for new ways to farm. The dungeon 'nerfs'  are just the most recent update to try and combat this. Yes, it limits your ability to farm CoF path1 all day. But on the flip side, it also rewards you a lot more for actually playing some of the other couple dozen dungeon paths available.

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

shame gw2 is a pointless game, it cud be so good if they changed pvp,

but o well, ill never play it again

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Volkon

Yeah yeah yeah... the bearer of good news about GW2 shall not go unpunished on these forums, I know. image  I like to inject a little bit of reality based data on occasion though to keep things real. It's easy to claim the game (or any game for that matter) is dead, however not so easy when faced with actual data that it's far from it. 

About the tokens, I have to ask... what do you do with so many tokens anyhow? People there were talking about hundreds of tokens per day for CoF... for the life of me once you have the gear you want I can't see why you'd keep collecting more.

I purchased 4 exotic shields and threw them in the Mystic Toilet to roll for Flameseeker Prophecies precursor.

I understand the gold being account bound, but the tokens really should have been character bound.

Other than that, yup, the population keeps growing. GW2 is going to have another test after ESO, EQN, and FF:ARR come out. I have confidence, though.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

[...]

to get other characters pretty as well, globs of ectos, money, increase exo precursors drops...

but all that if you like to have alts and play dungeons with their different play styles.

Dark Souls 2.
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by aesperus

...until this weekend.

Doubtful.

Believe it or not, Anet actually DOESN'T want people farming this game. Which is funny, because a lot of players just keep searching for new ways to farm. The dungeon 'nerfs'  are just the most recent update to try and combat this. Yes, it limits your ability to farm CoF path1 all day. But on the flip side, it also rewards you a lot more for actually playing some of the other couple dozen dungeon paths available.

yeah, i understand they want to avoid grind, but that kinds of allienate people who worked hard on alts(who bought character slots).

example: i want to equip my current 80 ranger, and i want an COE set(cause its fucking amazing), now i will need around 1000+ dungeon tokens. Now, sure i will have to run the same quantity of runs BUT instead of partaking with other parties in the same day, with other alts i won't, plus i will only run with my WAR, cause he is "The best" suited for that.

so now all you will see is warriors here and there cause they are fucking imba dungeon rappists, IMO, and actually you will be seen LESS people doing dungeons so LESS ppl in-game time.

Dark Souls 2.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

...until this weekend.

You're wrong. People have started doing dungeons more than CoF p1 since the change, which is good. I could hardly get into other dungeons before because everyone farmed CoF p1. You still get good amount of gold. There's other places to farm gold if you want, + a chance on the new weapons. Go to a zone like Frostgorge Sound and you will have 5 gold in an hour and if you're lucky you will loot something worth a lot more.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I don't think the nerf is really about the tokens. I think it has more to do with gold farming.

Originally posted by Vorch

I purchased 4 exotic shields and threw them in the Mystic Toilet to roll for Flameseeker Prophecies precursor.

I understand the gold being account bound, but the tokens really should have been character bound.

Other than that, yup, the population keeps growing. GW2 is going to have another test after ESO, EQN, and FF:ARR come out. I have confidence, though.

Well damn, all this time and I never thought of that. Too much time in WvW, not enough in PvE I guess, but now it makes sense. Thanks for the knowledge transfer!

Wouldn't tokens being character bound make it more difficult to get them? Unless you're talking about restoring the cap on them to old numbers, in which case account bound wouldn't hurt either. Bah, not enough dungeon running for me. Sigh...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

I wanted to like GW2, I really did.

I really really did.

But it wasn't very fun

Originally posted by Vorch

Well damn, all this time and I never thought of that. Too much time in WvW, not enough in PvE I guess, but now it makes sense. Thanks for the knowledge transfer!

Wouldn't tokens being character bound make it more difficult to get them? Unless you're talking about restoring the cap on them to old numbers, in which case account bound wouldn't hurt either. Bah, not enough dungeon running for me. Sigh...

I think he is talking about the old way, getting dungeon tokens per character not account, but the tokens itself being account bound so you could transfer between chars.

Dark Souls 2.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Regarding the tokens:

You can get lvl 80 rare armor from some dungeons (CoF, CoE and HotW, I think). You can salvage that armor for ectos and crafting mats. That's where a large part of CoF farmers' money comes from.

I think the Champion loot revamp was mostly a good thing, but I'd tie those boxes to the completion of DEs that contain Champions. The current system encourages not completing some DEs.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

I don't know if the population is growing so I can only speak for myself but I returned to check out some of the new content. I really have a hard time staying interested in the game outside of a day but I am trying to accentuate the good things about the game and focus on that (like the new content) so at least I am giving it a chance.

I think it might be the art style even though I actually love the textures used in the game, It could just be the drab color of the game that really makes my eyes get heavy but I am getting off topic. My server at least has always had a solid population and I did get put into a overflow server for the first time since the opening release weeks. Is that evidence for a growing population?....probably not but it at least shows that our server still has lots of activity.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    What they need to do is make class roles mean something. This game is all about zerging. I only log in now to play WvW and have not touched a dungeon since before the first living world update. Running from boss to boss and not working as a team is just no fun at all.
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    What they need to do is make class roles mean something. This game is all about zerging. I only log in now to play WvW and have not touched a dungeon since before the first living world update. Running from boss to boss and not working as a team is just no fun at all.

Please do COE(crucible of eternity) to see that what is said is quite equivocated.

Dark Souls 2.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Not working as a team is a personal choice. That's not how the game is designed.

Like Picard said, try fractals (or CoE), or Arah, or TA forward/up, heck even some of the paths in CM, without working as a team. Oh, and bring some instant repair canisters, you're going to need them.

Theres a reason why you still see people in gw2lfg asking for specific classes

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Uh oh,  someone's trying to post a positive thread in the GW2 forums.  I'll keep my list of usual suspects at hand and see how long it takes for them to check in.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Now we're up to at least four FULL servers again. A few months back they boosted the server caps when eight or so wound up full, and the eyes of any dedicated WvW players will assure you they've never been reduced. This is definitely a good sign for the game, but sadly it also means if we want to squeeze more guilds in for WvW on JQ we'll have to organize black out events again, or possibly find times it dips to very high as time zones log off...

Yep, and gas gets cheaper every day. :)

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

...until this weekend.

You're wrong. People have started doing dungeons more than CoF p1 since the change, which is good. I could hardly get into other dungeons before because everyone farmed CoF p1. You still get good amount of gold. There's other places to farm gold if you want, + a chance on the new weapons. Go to a zone like Frostgorge Sound and you will have 5 gold in an hour and if you're lucky you will loot something worth a lot more.

I have to agree with InFlamestwo on this before trying to get groups for other dungeons was not easy even using the gw2lfg.com or or chat in LA you could if you waited 1 hr but by then your group would of been you starting all over again to get a group. I am glade the change came in because before that trying to get groups for say TA hardly happened now its way easier.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

First you can't teleport while someone in your party is in combat inside dungeons since like 5 months ago, so that "zerging" line needs to stop, unless you call 5 people a zerg.

Second, unfortunately the game is too focused on dealing damage and dodging.

Third,  are you telling me that the majority of the team in games that have the holy trinity aren't working in a team, since the only thing they do is damage?

Weird. I though they even judged how good your work was by measuring damage dealt.

What is so special about the actual role of healing and tanking compared to the DPS?

The damage dealer press the button and deals damage, the healer press the button and heals, the tank press the button and aggroes - they are all doing their individual role, just like a character in GW2.

Is it because all becomes so predictable, that your DPS are in no danger of dying, unless they fall asleep?

And let me tell you, if I'm running a warrior with a shield and +toughness armor you can bet your ass 90% of the mobs are coming after me, and you better help me out when I run out of dodges, heals and block skills.

And yes there are tactics, for example, you can pull the mobs against a wall so you can AoE all of them.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I'm guessing Nanfoodle is talking about open-world events, not particularly dungeons, and he would be right.  Open-world content usually gets zerged, and doesn't require any coordination.  The last big event i remember failing was the recent Karka Queen. 

As for the topic, the population has always remained steady and healthy on my server.  I occasionally get overflows still.

Edit:  I just re-read his post.  He does mention dungeons, but he's wrong now.  They stopped the zerging in dungeons a very long time ago.  That's one of the problems always brought up by people who played since launch, and it's now a stigma on the game.

Originally posted by PieRad

Yep, and gas gets cheaper every day. :)

Not sure how that relates, but... here you go.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eimaiegoeimaiego Member Posts: 24

If you play the game daily you can see the population rising. I have now 1000hours gametime and 5x80lvl toons what keeps me playing is the updates and friends who returned  to guild wars.

ololo

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by nolic1
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

...until this weekend.

I have to agree with InFlamestwo on this before trying to get groups for other dungeons was not easy even using the gw2lfg.com or or chat in LA you could if you waited 1 hr but by then your group would of been you starting all over again to get a group. I am glade the change came in because before that trying to get groups for say TA hardly happened now its way easier.

Instead of just nerfing the reward system, ANET should tweak the dungeon system. Make the paths represent difficulty levels. Or instead of difficulty, the time it takes to run. Path 1 of any dungeon, should be the quickest where P2, 3 and 4 get harder and/or longer but also have an appropriately scaled reward system. As it is now, you already have one path of one dungeon that can be completed in 10 minutes with the right group and another dungeon can take a couple hours. This is all well and good, but when different amounts of time and effort generate the same reward, of course, players will flock to the path of least resistance. But if it was set up so that no one path could be done in 10 minutes,and the typical Path 1 of any dungeon would take roughly 20-30 minutes where P2 might take 30-45 and the paths 3 and 4 could take over an hour, you'll get a much better distribution of players. Especially if the higher paths pay out better than Path one.

I mean, that's only one thought, I am sure there are others that can also work, but some kind of uniformity should be applied so the work vs reward ratio is appropriate.