Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most realistic looking MMORPG of all time!

Comments

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by ZeroPointNRG

I will be playing both EQN and TESO, (imagine that, playing more than one computer game!!!!!!!!!!!!).

For what it's worth though, MMO's with amazing graphics haven't fared too well in the past. You might be surprised at how many people are still playing WoW with an integrated graphics card. Making your game so that even a toaster can play it on at least low settings certainly helps expand your potential player base. 

Think it has more to do with how old WoW is. The same can apply for all games after many years. If you make a game like Crysis, eventually it will become so old, that a "toaster" can play it, as you put it. $2,000 computers will eventually be seen as those toasters after 5 - 10 years.

I think what I am trying to say is WoW is a pretty bad example of your point since it's such an old game in comparison. The graphics are expected to be a lot worse, not because it was purposefully made to work on low end machines, but because it's simply old.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    When do you guys ever learn? Sure graphics bring a nice wow (no not the game WoW) factor, but graphics do nothing for player retention. I dont care if the game looked just like the movie Avatar you wont stay playing it if the game play and content is lacking. Hi res graphics limit game play. In hi res games things are pre rendered and you are limited on what you can do and where you can go. Sure I like a little eye candy, but in an MMO get that fancy garbage out. An MMO is suposed to deliever a different type of experience than a single player game. I will gladly take the graphics of EQN over ESO, as long as the gameplay and content is there. I wont go all fanboy and praise EQN, I need to get my hands on it to experience what its all about, but based on everything I know about ESO, I have played that game before and before and before. I want something thats not the same thing with new skin and new tweaks.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by toddze
    When do you guys ever learn? Sure graphics bring a nice wow (no not the game WoW) factor, but graphics do nothing for player retention. I dont care if the game looked just like the movie Avatar you wont stay playing it if the game play and content is lacking. Hi res graphics limit game play. In hi res games things are pre rendered and you are limited on what you can do and where you can go. Sure I like a little eye candy, but in an MMO get that fancy garbage out. An MMO is suposed to deliever a different type of experience than a single player game. I will gladly take the graphics of EQN over ESO, as long as the gameplay and content is there. I wont go all fanboy and praise EQN, I need to get my hands on it to experience what its all about, but based on everything I know about ESO, I have played that game before and before and before. I want something thats not the same thing with new skin and new tweaks.

Well, it's nice if you want something new, but eventually old mechanics have to be recycled. I also wouldn't exactly call it something that you played before just because it has SOME similar mechanics. Let's take FPS games as an example. No matter how far you stray from mechanics, you still have to go back to guns, because that is what it's all about.

The only way, you are going to get something vastly different is if you switch to another genre. ESO, has similar mechanics to other games, such as all the Elder Scrolls games. However, that is the point. To have expected anything else would be stupid.

I enjoy Skyrim, so why wouldn't I enjoy ESO?

I think it's great EQN is trying something different, and I am most certainly excited to try it out, as I am for most games. However, even EQN is recycling ideas based on other games and trying to bring it into this genre.

It's pretty simple, if your bored of playing MMORPGs, then stop playing them. Come back to it later. It's what I do. However, I have to admit, ESO has all the features I really been looking for in a single MMO game. So I am pretty excited by it.

As for fancy graphics, ESO has decent graphics. EQN has decent graphics, they are 2 entirely different art styles though. As for hi res graphics limiting gameplay? Uhh .. not directly, that is more based on hardware capabilities rather. 

• nuthanutha Member UncommonPosts: 47

Here is how I see it, graphics primarily come into play when you first look at a game; if they are bad enough that you avoid playing it altogether the damage is done. But in most cases if you have any interest beyond the graphics and you start to play, the graphics themselves aren't as much of an issue and you get used to them. i.e. firefall, horrible cartoony graphics by my standards but I am "used" to them after playing a month or so. Would I have paid for it? Probably not.

On the other end if a game is visually pleasing it will generally get you to play it initially and you may even put 40-60$ down until you get a feel for the game play and mechanics. I have paid for dozens of games to only let the first month subscription expire and not renew.

Another example, I loved the look of Guildwars 2, but only ended up playing about 2 solid months. I think the graphics are very polished and appealing, and enjoyed simply exploring the world. I play MMOs primarily for PVP but it kept my interest mostly because of the graphics. The RvR was a lagged zergfest at the time so wasn't very appealing.

I think as a whole MMORPG gamers are becoming more mature in our tastes and expectations and the days of one title having 8 million+ subscribers is long past, there will likely never be a WoW type subscription game again. That and there are a lot of other options out there now.

90% (vast majority) of Asian games I avoid, simply because of the cartoony, childish or otherwise overly exaggerated and unrealistic graphics, not to mention gender lock... lazy programming or what?

ESO is looking good right about now.

Edit: don't quote me on the WoW totals, I know it was almost double that at its peak but don't care to look at how far it has fallen recently.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

The stylized graphics in EQNext allow for the constructable / destructable world, among other things.  I'll take those new features over the same ancient themepark crap from the likes of ESO any day.

And if I wanted to play some cartoon, I'd just wait for WildStar.

• boobotboobot Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by fistorm

Its 2013, and unbeleivable graphics have came out.  Bethesda and Zenimax have taken hold of these amazing capablities and made us an online game with them.  Elder Scrolls Online.  After seeing what EQ Next will look like, and its gameworld looking like last years Guildwars 2 gameworld in graphics,  there will be no one in the way to make this the most realistic MMORPG of the year, and in fact, all time.   I hope and have no doubt we will see more MMORPG's start to follow this amazing graphic outlook to push these games to look even more real and enjoyable.   Just wanted to say Thankyou ESO!

ESO Screenshot

Eq Next Screenshot

While realistic it's a bit dull!

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Im looking forward to both games but I must say that TESO at the moment pips it for me but the end result will probably come down to how much it plays like skyrim rather than the look. Graphics are important to me but neither game looks shabby and in the end gameplay is more important.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    To whoever suggested eqn looks like 1983 graphics I date you to go back and play a game from that year ........

Steam: Neph

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    To whoever suggested eqn looks like 1983 graphics I date you to go back and play a game from that year ........

People dont know what they are saying, EQN looks to have great graphics, lightning and detail are on top of the MMO scene. Annimations are way beyound other games and simply rock

But, they have choosen for a certain artstyle which is not favored by many of the hardcore players.

EQN has the best graphics and annimation, but i personally prefer the dark and creepy yet still beautifull world design of TESO.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by karmath

Please stop calling TES:O a MMORPG. The developers themselves have stated its a co-op rpg.

Thanks.

true it !

and... makers of  five TES games Bethesda Game Studio not working on ESO,devs are Zenimax Online Studio,both devs are employers of  Zenimax  Game Company.

Peoples mixing it.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by Margulis

Since the reveal of EQNext I must say my interest in ESO has grown exponentially.  I can't stand cartoony kiddie graphics.  However I would disagree this game has the most realistic, probably the best and most realistic I've seen thus far is Black Desert Online - especially the character models it's unreal.

Take a look starting at about 2:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI

I'm looking forward to Black Desert.

The landscapes are gorgeous, but those character models are just creepy. Guess they landed in the Uncanny Valley.

No impact at all on whether I'll play it or not, game plays the selling point for me and I like where they're going with that.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

I think they were referring to Dragons Lair, the animated (Don Bluth) video game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6em4GRiRY0

The funny thing is I'd love a modern game that actually looked and played like that, and was animated as smoothly (rather than just being a pre rendered cartoon). That'd be amazing. 

I've personally enjoyed games with all kinds of styles, provided it's a good game, and that the aesthetic is cohesive. I'd be gutted if I could only like games that attempt photo-realism, make use of stylized, or even just ascii.

What a heart breaking limiter that would be.

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Well, both seem to look beautiful. I prefer more realistic graphics so TESO will be my choice. Nevertheless, even though I really like the graphics of TESO, I don't think they have the best textures. Tera is another artstyle but seems to have a higher resolution in terms of surroundings and characters. Moreover, I've read an article that TESO is almost on par with GW2 graphics, qualitywise. 
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I will take gameplay over graphics any day.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Is this game PvP or is it optional with PvE servers ?
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane

PvP only in instanced areas. 

Originally posted by Abrraham

Yes good then I am in.

Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    I will take gameplay over graphics any day.

i agree with that

but graphics and espescially annimations do need to be of a certain level... If they fall under the bracket of my acceptation i can not play the game..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Yes good then I am in.

Well... by instanced you dont justify the PvP, as the PvP is consistent lasting up to several months withouth resets..

The size of the PvP area is mindblowing as it is 8 fullblown zones, also including lots of PvE activities.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Yes good then I am in.

Well... by instanced you dont justify the PvP, as the PvP is consistent lasting up to several months withouth resets..

The size of the PvP area is mindblowing as it is 8 fullblown zones, also including lots of PvE activities.

Does it have player looting in these ? I will participate in PvP if it is consensual and without player looting. No open world PvP then I will play.

Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Yes good then I am in.

Does it have player looting in these ? I will participate in PvP if it is consensual and without player looting. No open world PvP then I will play.

No, it's the more civilized type of PVP death: you lose no items nor coin.

I don't know if the enemy can loot some random generated "other stuff" from your warm corpse like in GW2, but your own death penalty will be loss of time, possibly having to hike it back to the battle (if you don't get rezzed) and a possible amount of item damage that you'll need to repair. Think DAoC RvR.

I know that sadomasochistic hipsters won't be happy with this, but it's my preferred way too image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

Please stop calling TES:O a MMORPG. The developers themselves have stated its a co-op rpg.

Thanks.

true it !

and... makers of  five TES games Bethesda Game Studio not working on ESO,devs are Zenimax Online Studio,both devs are employers of  Zenimax  Game Company.

Peoples mixing it.

wrong it!

It's an mmorpg...period.

Post # 14... Paul Sage's answer to my question: 

Originally posted by Iselin

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to come here and answer questions.

There seems to have been a lot of talk lately about whether ESO is a real MMO prompted by some statements you guys made last month about it being playable as a single player experience. I've been following the development of the game closely for several months and I don't see any changes in the design of the game.

Can you explain why the shift in emphasis on how you describe the game?

I think this has to do with how we approach development. We were worried that the term MMO had become synonymous with a certain type of game with an almost exact set of rules. That was definitely a perception we felt, even internally. But we really wanted to be true to our IP first, and still have this amazing social game with thousands of players online. When I started on UO, MMO was a new term and there weren't limits on it. We don't dislike the term or the association, we love it. We just want to make sure people aren't expecting it to be a clone of certain games.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/390321/page/2

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

Thanks.

true it !

Peoples mixing it.

wrong it!

It's an mmorpg...period.

Hi Paul,

There seems to have been a lot of talk lately about whether ESO is a real MMO prompted by some statements you guys made last month about it being playable as a single player experience. I've been following the development of the game closely for several months and I don't see any changes in the design of the game.

I think this has to do with how we approach development. We were worried that the term MMO had become synonymous with a certain type of game with an almost exact set of rules. That was definitely a perception we felt, even internally. But we really wanted to be true to our IP first, and still have this amazing social game with thousands of players online. When I started on UO, MMO was a new term and there weren't limits on it. We don't dislike the term or the association, we love it. We just want to make sure people aren't expecting it to be a clone of certain games.

Nowhere did he say the game was an MMO though.

Its not a real MMO.  It is a multiplayer ES game.

Originally posted by jesusjuice69

Thanks.

true it !

Peoples mixing it.

wrong it!

It's an mmorpg...period.

Hi Paul,

Nowhere did he say the game was an MMO though.

Its not a real MMO.  It is a multiplayer ES game.

Rofl...whatever. 

So...what is happening in Cyrodiil? Is that not MMO enough for you?

Maybe you can give us your definition of MMO and how it differs from a multiplayer game...in your own words.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

It's just a marketing decision to call it like that, of course it' not much different from any other MMO. They think their game is too good to be named with games like GW2, SW:TOR, ArcheAge, TSW and so on. They want to form a new genre. The super duper massive multiplayer game with singleplayer options - short SDMMGS.