Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - Since the reveal has your excitement and interest in the game increased, decreased or stayed

Comments

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

Sounds good so far. BUT,

Waiting for it to be wowified by the usual suspects during beta, and all the cool features to be marginalized to uselessness. Happens every game. The more sandbox it is the worse it will be.

Let's see if SOE sticks to their guns. Even after all the attention they're getting for the design they chose, I still think they will buckle to the tears of the testers and change direction.

I bet it's already started.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Decreased, also too early to tell but I don't think they are taking this game a direction I was hoping but I am waiting for more info over time.  Not happy that its not very EQ like
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    From what I have read it doesn't sound like a MMO that wil lbe for me...Not only that but I wont own a PS4 which it sounds like it is being groomed for....I will probably give it a try in beta and maybe after launch if its free, but as a long time EQ1 player it just doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Decreased, I don't believe that they have a working combat system that doesn't revolve around DPS.

When you remove tank, healers and pullers, and likely CC since they're non-tab, all you're left with is DPS.

To support a community and grouping you need clearly defined roles, removing trinity and replacing it with multiclassing does the reverse.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I knew nothing about it just like everyone else... once the release hit I was very excited to learn about the "deck" style system as I absolutely adore this style. I was a little displeased at the weapon skill system and super excited at the "multi-class" system. Although I'm optimistic and get hyped easily as I can keep an open mind, I kept my hype as the same previous to the release. Looking great though with many combinations for both pve and pvp.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Mine has increased. I did not really care about the game before I heard how the skill system was going to work. If they can recapture the 'gotta catch 'em all' feel that I had in GW1 then I am all aboard.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74

Decreased some. 

Of course, I didn't get everything I wanted from a "theoretic dream mmo" but there were a few things confirmed that I was hoping for and a few pleasant surprises also. 

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    At this point between the cash shop and the graphics and the same old same old gameplay I have lost all interest.  EQNext did reinvent the MMO, they tossed in some single player game features, knocked off Disney's art department and called it a new game.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Decreased, I don't believe that they have a working combat system that doesn't revolve around DPS.

When you remove tank, healers and pullers, and likely CC since they're non-tab, all you're left with is DPS.

To support a community and grouping you need clearly defined roles, removing trinity and replacing it with multiclassing does the reverse.

Trinity combat creates elitists, not community.

Non combat roles create community. Communities form from mutual interest in creation. Mutual interests in destruction creates teams of d-bags that advocate for themselves instead of the world (game world).

Developers artificially nerf and empower different roles in trinity games anyway. Have people not realized that making your class not suck anymore isn't content worth waiting for? Or developers ruining your class with a nerf? People still falling for that?

That's how gamers get ripped off, not how they form a community. Creation forms community. Addiction simply need company. there is a difference. Which one do you really want? a real community or company for your misery?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Wrong.  But what else is new.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

Non combat roles create community. Communities form from mutual interest in creation. Mutual interests in destruction creates teams of d-bags that advocate for themselves instead of the world (game world).

Developers artificially nerf and empower different roles in trinity games anyway. Have people not realized that making your class not suck anymore isn't content worth waiting for? Or developers ruining your class with a nerf? People still falling for that?

That's how gamers get ripped off, not how they form a community. Creation forms community. Addiction simply need company. there is a difference. Which one do you really want? a real community or company for your misery?

Exactly right.

The way in which the developers are hoping to build community is through a non traditional system with Smart A.I., huge 3 month long public types of quests that span the spectrum of building a city and protecting it to dealing with a menacing threat.  The possibilities to create "meaningful" community aspects are present in spades.  We no longer have to worry about having all the problems that are associated with Trinity based group composition.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Trinity combat creates elitists

oh please, now I've heard it all

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

No, the trinity creates structure such that strategies become important. 

No Trinity = No Structure = No strategy = Zerg

Really?!  Well how is that GW2 community holding up. 

Logs into GW2, crickets...  crickets....

Well at least you have lots of bug friends.

90% of sucking is player oriented.  The game is usually pretty balanced for the most part, especially for normal raidiers.   If you can't beat a boss, then replacing a good DK with an equally good Mage probably won't make much difference.

Community is company.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Greatly increased

The world being made of voxels and what that does to gathering, crafting, exploration and how content is given are game changers.  I was slightly disappointed by the seemingly lack of depth per class but until I know more I can't really have a good opinion.  The models were surprising but since the point was expressiveness and we haven't seen any real dialog to show said expressiveness, again I'll reserve my judgment.

They were right when they said we haven't seen an MMO like this before.  I don't think it feels very EverQuest at the moment but I think the lore info coming out and subsequent game details will change that over time.

• grumpyoldgrumpyold Member Posts: 8

Got a little more excited, but since its probable more than a year away and we havent seen much I rey to stay away from to much hype or hate.

If it turns out bad , well its lots of games out there today and if its great they get my money. 

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

Its basically 50/50 tbh.

AI sounds cool

Destructible world sounds cool

No leveling is a huge flaw.

No trinity is a letdown.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69

No, the trinity creates structure such that strategies become important. 

No Trinity = No Structure = No strategy = Zerg

When you say Zerg, do you mean 5 players, 10, 20, 50?

I understand that it goes with mindless, easy mod, DPS, facerolling, but I've never been quite sure on the number.

Say you had a group of five, if they all did DPS, is that zerging?

Regardless if there is trinity or not, the more people you have in an area, the more "zerging" will occur.

If 100 people see a big mob standing out in a field, I highly doubt they will go "Stop!!!! Who is tanking?" They will just rush it.

Where a group of 5-10 could all be doing DPS and still play distinct roles (defense, offense, support, healing, etc). 

Guess like everything else, we use these terms and there isn't one definition.

To say a group of  5 players minus a tank/healer couldn't be structured and have strategy just seems 100% wrong.

Back to OP, since the reveal, I am more excited then ever. Lots revealed, lots more to come. Was expecting a bit more, even a beta, but not going to throw a fit over it. Hope they take their time and make a great game. Will have Landmark to play around with while I wait for the full experience. So glad they are going off the traditional rails and giving us something worthy of being called "Next" instead of "Part 3" or "same as everything else with a different wrapper."

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    Stayed the same.

I was expecting A but got B, equally as happy. Can't wait for Landmark!
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

It lowered for me. I didnt really walk out of the EQN reveal creaming my pants or jaw dropping like TenTonHammer and MMORPG claimed I would.

I liked what I heard, but, there are two things hindering me having any hype right now

1: i'm not interested in playing Everquest Next: Landmark. I assume they want us to play that for a year or two, but I'm not interested in that

2: The biggest one -- No release date for Everquest Next. I thought SOE kept saying they were farther ahead than we all realized. I thought the point of blackboxing the game was to drop the info, then release months after. But at this point I'd be surprised if the game released before Christmas 2014, and I can't just stay hyped for a game that will be a year+ off. Got more important things to worry about and other games to get hyped about that will actually come out soon/before 2015.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I am no longer interested.

SOE again broke the promise that EU players with SOE accounts would be able to continue to use their SOE accounts for existing and future games.

I refuse to use ProsiebenSat 1 to be able to play EQNext. I have endured enough misery with them with DCUniverse Online.

Thanks, but no thanks.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I am no longer interested.

SOE again broke the promise that EU players with SOE accounts would be able to continue to use their SOE accounts for existing and future games.

I refuse to use ProsiebenSat 1 to be able to play EQNext. I have endured enough misery with them with DCUniverse Online.

Thanks, but no thanks.

i agree w you about SOE waffling on ProsiebenSat 1

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/16/breaking-smed-prosiebensat-1-forced-migration-is-dead-euro-soe-players-can-stick-with-soe/

10 months later

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/view/forums/thread/392728/All-EU-based-players-must-use-Prosieben.html

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I had low expectations. They have not been changed.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691
    I thought the entire reveal was just awesome.  And then they said no trinity, mind went to GW2, and I'm out.  If they end up with some great alternative awesome, but to me no trinity might as well mean there are no classes that can trade blows with MOBs.  And that's the only role I like to play.  Doesn't need to be a tank, though that is my preference, but it needs to be a fight fought in a phone booth.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    I can say with a fair degree of accuracy that 31.4% of people will enjoy this game for what it is, the other 68.6% will have a bit of heartache due to the game.

• MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

Definitely the most excting game ever for me personally. Personally I understand soe's choice with art style. It is hard to see facial expressions in games like vanguard, eq2 etc unless zooming in. With larger facial features it is easier to see facial features from a distance.