Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - Since the reveal has your excitement and interest in the game increased, decreased or stayed

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
Just curious how people are feeling about the game now compared to how you felt before the reveal.  Maybe you really liked what you saw and heard and are more psyched now than ever.  Or perhaps it didn't quite do it for you and the interest level has dopped off, or stayed the same?  Vote!

Comments

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    While I am in no happy with the art style, I am interested in other things like vowels.  That being said, I've stayed pretty even keeled.  I will watch and see where it goes.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I would say my excitement would have been very increased if a release date and a few more things had been revealed.

It is higher than where I started though since the game was initially just smoke and mirrors until the reveal.

Bonus excitement points for the Landmark portion and fairly short release schedule for that.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    So far it is more than I imagined. The main thing I am waiting for now is to find out how they plan to handle PVP.
  • DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158

Based on what we knew about Story Bricks and Sony Store and the game being a sandbox I was pretty sure the game would feature a true dynamic world with lot of constructability.  What I didn't know was it would be Voxel Based so that was a pleasant surprise.

Couple this with the fact EQN features all the major things I enjoy about an MMO.  Such as a limited action bar to promote deck building synergies.  Multi-Classes to promote player choice and freedom.  Action combat to promote skillful play and ever changing fluid dynamics (instead of that boring tab target stand still and memorize a script).  In fact I would have to say my hope and appeal to this game has grown exponentially and is shaping up to be the best MMO I've ever played, if they can pull off the things they said.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• FionnFionn Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Latronus
    While I am in no happy with the art style, I am interested in other things like vowels.  That being said, I've stayed pretty even keeled.  I will watch and see where it goes.

I am more interested in the consonants:)  They look outstanding!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

With the pre-reveal accolades from this site and TenTonHammer and random SOE comments about this game being in he hands of players this year, I had imagined that this game was much closer to completion than it now appears to be.  I am extremely disappointed in both the media for declaring this Game of E3 and the developers.   SOE Live appeared far more like a group of people with a vague set of ideas, but had not developed a plan on how to implement these.

In IT terms, there appears to be no clearly defined system requirements document.   And failure to define objectives is a major factor in cost overruns, development delays, and even project abandonment.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    After hearing about what they are proposing, and seeing some of the world, my interest is definitely peaked.   I think a lot more could/should have been revealed, but there are multiples of reasons why that didn't happen.  I am content at this point with what I saw and am chewing at the bit for more.  That's probably why I am watching the Dev's tweets like a hawk. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    No change for me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FionnFionn Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Mendel

With the pre-reveal accolades from this site and TenTonHammer and random SOE comments about this game being in he hands of players this year, I had imagined that this game was much closer to completion than it now appears to be.  I am extremely disappointed in both the media for declaring this Game of E3 and the developers.   SOE Live appeared far more like a group of people with a vague set of ideas, but had not developed a plan on how to implement these.

In IT terms, there appears to be no clearly defined system requirements document.   And failure to define objectives is a major factor in cost overruns, development delays, and even project abandonment.

I disagree, I think they just were keeping information under wraps to protect their product from competitors.  They left certain things out because well, they want to go into a lot of detail about certain things like PVP, Crafting, Emergent AI, and will show us all of these things closer to launch and how they work.

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171
    This game is still very far off. Seems better to  save some the excitment until its close to launch

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I suppose it stayed the same. I was never really excited about EQN and the reveal gave me a "wait, that's it?" kind of feeling after all the hype. Still, it looks like a good game I may try out in the future.
  • ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

My interest level went up a great deal. On the one hand, it's more ambitious than I thought it would be, by a significant margin. On the other, it looked less close to release than I expected, but maybe that's deceptive because there are a lot of important things they haven't talked about yet.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Ardwulf

My interest level went up a great deal. On the one hand, it's more ambitious than I thought it would be, by a significant margin. On the other, it looked less close to release than I expected, but maybe that's deceptive because there are a lot of important things they haven't talked about yet.

I was pretty disappointed by the fact that it sounds as if they are still on the concept design stage.  It sounds like this game is a long ways off probably.

As to the OP: My interest in the game didn't really change at all.  It's still simply too early to tell what the game will become.  Lots of companies tout brilliant, innovative ideas but very few actually deliver on all the stuff they dream up.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Risen some for me personally because I had not convince myself of what the game was because there was no information to base anything on.I didn't play the speculation game and didn't build my personal perfect MMORPG in my mind and project it onto Smed and Cos cryptic statements.

The reveal showed me some concepts which I like a lot but they are just theory right now and may not be realized so my excitement is moderate.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Fionn

I disagree, I think they just were keeping information under wraps to protect their product from competitors.  They left certain things out because well, they want to go into a lot of detail about certain things like PVP, Crafting, Emergent AI, and will show us all of these things closer to launch and how they work.

I think there is a lot of merit in this.  Since development is going to stretch into next year, they need to keep our interest until them while keeping some of their cards tight to their chest.  So, over time, they'll ration out bits like PvP, crafting, how they are going to handle death, more combat details, etc.  In between, we'll see more polls and discussion over on the Roundtable for some of the finer points. 

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    When I first heard about EQNext I thought it would be pretty cool. After seeing the wowish graphics, and artwork that just took away any desire to even play the game period. There is no chance that I will be playing this game unless they rework the graphics and arwork 100%.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I didnt read anything about EQN or even any of the EQs until I saw the reveal. My interest went from non-existant to #2 on my list behind Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade.

The technology feature combination is what really hooked me. Procedural generation, voxels, storybricks, horizontal progression, and landmark all smacked me out of no where. 

I can understand the dissent over the aesthetics and design, I myself avoid games that have a very anime like art direction...although I would even dip my toes in a hyper anime game for these combined features.

• wblastynwblastyn Member Posts: 13

I like what I saw during the reveal, but my excitement decreased when it became clear its no where near finished. 

I feel sorry for the people who can't get over the graphics, I think they look great. They could end up missing out on an amazing game. 

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

Decreased some, as I probably expected a bit more "traditional sandbox". I will keep an eye out for new stuff tho, because there simply is not enough info atm for me to make some decisions.

Also I was a bit dissapointed with what they chose to focus on for their big reveal.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Fionn

I think there is a lot of merit in this.  Since development is going to stretch into next year, they need to keep our interest until them while keeping some of their cards tight to their chest.  So, over time, they'll ration out bits like PvP, crafting, how they are going to handle death, more combat details, etc.  In between, we'll see more polls and discussion over on the Roundtable for some of the finer points. 

I know that I can not extend a benefit of a doubt to SOE any longer.  Obviously, you both can.  Perhaps I'm more skeptical.

No one can patent an idea, only implementations.   It would have not hurt their product in any way to have released ideas, like the voxel, distructability, rallying calls and emergent AI concepts.   Those are the 'big ticket' concepts, and their competitors now know about those.   It really wouldn't have hurt to have announced the more mundane things, like crafting, combat, death systems, classes, etc.   The only viable reason I can possible see for not releasing this information (even in concept form) is that it hasn't been developed, even at a conceptual level.  The technology (the hard bit) is now out of the bag, but the game system (the easier part) isn't.   If there is any advantage to their competitors knowing, well, now they know what the hard bits actually are and can begin developing or acquiring the technology to develop their own versions.  If anything, I'd have said that it would have been 'more advantageous' (from a business standpoint) for SOE to describe the game systems and keep the 4 holy grails under wraps.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• wasaguestwasaguest Member Posts: 27

Decreased a bit. I'm not a fan of Action MMOs. In the past games I've played that had Action based combat, it was more based on Player Skill vs My Characters' skill. So no matter how much time I spent in the world, the only thing that changed on my character was damage numbers and a graphical skin. If I want that level of shallowness, I'd prefer to play an FPS or single player game. /shrug

Additionally, there was never any real social ties to the game. Everyone is too busy jumping and rolling around to meet and get to know each other... so I grew bored quickly with these types of games.

Hoping SOE can pull off something different here, but I have my doubts.

• gkslashgkslash Member Posts: 27

I voted "decreased some". I am still very excited to jump in and explore the new world, but the combat system has me very worried.

Sparse info, and no concrete explanation of  how most of these systems work.

I am cautiously optimistic though!

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Between finishing grad school, moving three times and starting a new job all in the last year, MMOs weren't on my radar at all lately. Seeing the reveal for EQN and hearing what they're wanting to do has me interested in a game again. So I'd say my interest increased significantly.

It still looks like the game's a long way off, so I'm just going to take my time, read what the devs say, and remain cautiously optimistic. What I've seen looks good and like a new direction I want to follow. I'll reserve my final judgement until I can actually get my hands on the game and play it in a beta phase.

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149
    I've personally lost most interest in it, due to the art style (cartoony graphics just do not fit the EQ world), the combat tech trailer that looked pretty bad, and alot of other things about the game just makes me think to myself "sigh, yet another boring looking mmorpg" I'll still watch it, maybe it'll surprize me, Still plan to try to get into beta. But as with all mmorpgs these recent years I do not expect them to be all that great, and eqnext is no exception to this. I personally believe in a "see for myself when playing it" thing to decide if its any good, each time I let the hype get to me the game has been a massive letdown, so I try to ignore it now and just form my own opinions.
  • Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    Even if I had excitement, which I no longer do, it would be long gone before this game comes out in a year or two. While I think some of the features are interesting and could work really well if done right, there are other features that turned me off to the point where I doubt I even play.