Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats up with the end game mentality i see alrdy...

DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I've seen end game progression guilds forming, I've seen other guild alrdy trying to figure out days to do raids, I've even came across a post where someone is complaining that there isn't a 24 man raid coming yet.....

Why are people thinking about end game before its even released yet?

Back in 2003 when ffxi came out, end game was an after thought. All the expention pacts that came out for the first 1-2 years was focused for all levels. There was leterally tons of stuff to do from 1-75. I played ffxi for prolly a year before I even got into end-game. That game for a long time was about the journey not the endgame.

I'm seeing ffxiv arr has ton of stuff to do alrdy for all levels :), I just don't get why some people are so worried about end game before its even released. Times sure have changed.

I really hope that ffxiv arr will be a journey for me for years to come, like ffxi was.

Comments

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    I wish I can stop caring and not post replies, because most of the people are mis-informed to an extent. there are mis-translation, mis-quotations and selective phrasing everywhere that makes the game different 180 degrees. I am sure once all settled people will be enjoying the game and will forget all the stupid stuff said here and there.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I dunno... It seems like every mmo since and including DAOC has spawned this end game mentality where everything else is just a tutorial. What happened to the journey?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Part that worries me a bit about FFXIV is Yoshi p has kinda said he's big on the end game mentality himself.

• MackeskimoMackeskimo Member Posts: 50

its simple, many players of FF14 are legacy with multiple capped jobs from the get go.

Many of which will not want to simply replay the new stuff and instead are waiting for the "end game" that was promised so long ago in v-1.0.

Its not people being stupid, its that they have been waiting for exactly this, new endgame stuff, and are not pleased with another release without it, just as it was with version 1.0.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Thankfully when I start a game the last thing I think about is the the end game. Hell for the most part I rarely do any end game content. I like the leveling experiance either solo or with a small group. Raiding for me is way too frustrating. Even thinking about doing something with 20 or 40 people makes me want to turn the game off immediatly. Raids to me are tests of patience with 5 people there to do the raid and 15 idiots playing with one hand and wanking with the other, while watching tv and eating dinner.
  • EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I am forming a guild specifically to do raids. It will be a casual guild in every other sense. The reason for this is I want  to experience all the end  game  content. The rest I can do without the dungeon finder. (unless they have raid finder not sure.) For me it has been to long since Ive done raids. Pretty excited.  :)
  • IllunariIllunari Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I dunno... It seems like every mmo since and including DAOC has spawned this end game mentality where everything else is just a tutorial. What happened to the journey?

No voice acting happened to my journey....Very few games out there make questing entertaing ALL the way to max level. Which is why most people now a days look forward to end game. Eventually we all end up there anyway..some are just more motivated than others. 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Mackeskimo

its simple, many players of FF14 are legacy with multiple capped jobs from the get go.

Many of which will not want to simply replay the new stuff and instead are waiting for the "end game" that was promised so long ago in v-1.0.

Its not people being stupid, its that they have been waiting for exactly this, new endgame stuff, and are not pleased with another release without it, just as it was with version 1.0.

there is end game tho just not ct right away no ones geard for it anyways

• zephyrszephyrs Member UncommonPosts: 27

I have to agree that there is this mentality that MMOs begin at endgame, and that everything prior is just a primer to steamroll through as quickly as possible. I think much of it is ego revolving around server firsts.

I really couldn't care how people choose to play games. The problem I see is that after these people blow through everything, they begin to complain that there isn't enough content and they have nothing to do. This deters potential buyers who were waiting for game reviews from other players.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Dzone

I've seen end game progression guilds forming, I've seen other guild alrdy trying to figure out days to do raids, I've even came across a post where someone is complaining that there isn't a 24 man raid coming yet.....

Why are people thinking about end game before its even released yet?

Back in 2003 when ffxi came out, end game was an after thought. All the expention pacts that came out for the first 1-2 years was focused for all levels. There was leterally tons of stuff to do from 1-75. I played ffxi for prolly a year before I even got into end-game. That game for a long time was about the journey not the endgame.

I'm seeing ffxiv arr has ton of stuff to do alrdy for all levels :), I just don't get why some people are so worried about end game before its even released. Times sure have changed.

I really hope that ffxiv arr will be a journey for me for years to come, like ffxi was.

Because its an MMO and 99% of your time will be spent at end-game... Why do people ask questions that have obvious answers?

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    This is a little different than your normal release.  There are players that already have multiple max level classes.  This is exactly how it is in any other game with this many characters already capped.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    What happened : Themeparks. If all games were sandboxes then there would be no endgame mentality because there would be no endgame.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

It's because so many people now a days compared back to when FF 11 was released put ridiculous hours in MMOs. A lot of people will do nothing but play FFXIV:ARR for weeks, get to the end of the game and whine that there isn't enough to do. Even though they just burned through 250 hours of a god damn FF game for only $30. They don't seem to understand how much they have actually played and still want to play more. Hence everyone's fixation with endgame.

The only MMO I've ever done that with was Rift and my grades and health both suffered for it and when I got to endgame in 3 weeks I was so burned out I've yet to touch it since, even though I thought the game was awesome. I don't know how everyone else does it while maintaining a job or studies.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Since 1.0 players can keep their characters and many do have them at Max levelv why would you be surprised by this? Thousands will be ready for end game the second the game releases.... What do you expect? Lol
  • ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by Robokapp

the journy is mostly don alone or in small groups. the essence of massive-multiplayer only is reveald at high-level large-scale raids.

or could be just social anxiety. the endgame is where you play with others, so that's what you focus on. introverts and all that.

to me, as an endgame tank, obviously raiding is "it".

This is the reason why mmorpg's have kinda become unintersting to me, Mmorpgs used to be about the journey, now they seem to be single player games where you rush to level cap. Kinda makes me sad when I remember what they used to be.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

The journey became so short that it isn't worth developing much for it in general.  People are hitting level cap in 3 days to a month of very casual play in many mmos.  Developing content for such a short time of a players time in their game isn't worth it, it seems.  I have not played XIV yet, so cannot comment on how long it will take to get to max level in it, but I am speaking in general.

I guess it makes EQN not having levels not so bad in retrospect, if they were going to just do the same thing that a lot of games do and make leveling to max a joke...Not saying whatever they are going to do is going to be good, just a natural progression of the need it now.

• Fish_TacosFish_Tacos Member UncommonPosts: 45

It's just that there are different people with different psychological types. People who are into RP and exploration probably have different psychologies than min/maxers and hardcore raiders. An introverted intuitive type will be different than an extroverted judgmental type (just offering examples from one psych type test: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirsey_Temperament_Sorter ).

It's like some people like math and science and others hate it and prefer literature. Some are conservative and others liberal. Some people are administrators and some entrepreneurs. Same types of divisions occur in large gaming communities. People aren't wrong for the play-style they enjoy. They are just wired to be a certain way. You can't ever change it.

Perfectionists and competitive people who are socially oriented will seek server firsts in raiding, etc. 

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Personally I'm in no rush. I'll  be enjoying the journey.  I'll even probably do some fishing a long the way :P.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    What do you mean "already"?  The end game mentality has been the same since 2005.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

On the contrary, I think a lot of crafters will call this place home for a while. I could care less about combat or raiding and there will be plenty for me to do in this game for quite a while.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I think players are vastly underestimating the time and work that will be required to be raid ready.

You'll need to have leveled a Job. Not a class but a job, that's going to require minimally leveling 2 classes. From what I've seen Crafting is going to be a big part of endgame too, So I assume you'll probably need to have some crafting classes leveled along side.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I think players are vastly underestimating the time and work that will be required to be raid ready.

You'll need to have leveled a Job. Not a class but a job, that's going to require minimally leveling 2 classes. From what I've seen Crafting is going to be a big part of endgame too, So I assume you'll probably need to have some crafting classes leveled along side.

All crafting is tradeable.  A person does not have to have a craft themselves in order to get crafted gear/materia melds/repairs etc.

A job requires leveling one class to 15, and your other subclass to whatever level the abilities are that you want to borrow from them in order to play optimally.

It then requires you to finish the main storyline in order to unlock endgame contents, do entry dungeons (AV/CC/possibly others), Primals (Ifrit, Garuda, Titan) to farm for gear, and then you hit the current endgame at launch consisting of Relic Weapon quests for each job, and Labyrinth of Bahamut.

Relic Weapon quests requires you to do quite a bit of different endgame activities (extreme versions of primals/dungeons, and certain other things).  It takes quite a bit of work.

We don't know how large the 8-person wing of Labyrinth of Bahamut available at launch is, but it is supposed to be very difficult and will likely cater mostly to people who have already completed relic weapons.

How long this will take legacy characters many of which already have all 50's is unknown.  However Legacy people have Titan Extreme, possibly relic weapons +1, and LoB to do with Crystal Tower coming in November (and hopefully other endgame activities, especially if the entry wing to Crystal Tower is geared toward casual players).

This game NEEDS a variety of endgame content (both casual and hardcore), and to regularly provide it in order to keep some people subscribed.  Yoshida knows it and has acknowledged it.  If you don't like endgame it is not your concern, it is however the concern of the people who matter: those who develop the game.

SE also has a good track record of endgame content additions from FFXI, and I would consider their record with FFXIV 1.0 pretty decent considering the limitations of fixing the game as much as they could while still hampered by a faulty engine and also developing ARR alongside it.

Originally posted by Dihoru
    What happened : Themeparks. If all games were sandboxes then there would be no endgame mentality because there would be no endgame.

Yes what a lazy solution to a problem.  Not enough content?  Don't worry we have NO CONTENT!!  YAY!

Hope you like PvP and role playing because that's all you've got to look forward to forever.  Oh and lots of cash shop crap to help you immerse yourself in your psuedo reality!  Second Life best MMORPG of all time!!!!!!!!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Murugan

All crafting is tradeable.  A person does not have to have a craft themselves in order to get crafted gear/materia melds/repairs etc.

A job requires leveling one class to 15, and your other subclass to whatever level the abilities are that you want to borrow from them in order to play optimally.

It then requires you to finish the main storyline in order to unlock endgame contents, do entry dungeons (AV/CC/possibly others), Primals (Ifrit, Garuda, Titan) to farm for gear, and then you hit the current endgame at launch consisting of Relic Weapon quests for each job, and Labyrinth of Bahamut.

Relic Weapon quests requires you to do quite a bit of different endgame activities (extreme versions of primals/dungeons, and certain other things).  It takes quite a bit of work.

We don't know how large the 8-person wing of Labyrinth of Bahamut available at launch is, but it is supposed to be very difficult and will likely cater mostly to people who have already completed relic weapons.

How long this will take legacy characters many of which already have all 50's is unknown.  However Legacy people have Titan Extreme, possibly relic weapons +1, and LoB to do with Crystal Tower coming in November (and hopefully other endgame activities, especially if the entry wing to Crystal Tower is geared toward casual players).

This game NEEDS a variety of endgame content (both casual and hardcore), and to regularly provide it in order to keep some people subscribed.  Yoshida knows it and has acknowledged it.  If you don't like endgame it is not your concern, it is however the concern of the people who matter: those who develop the game.

SE also has a good track record of endgame content additions from FFXI, and I would consider their record with FFXIV 1.0 pretty decent considering the limitations of fixing the game as much as they could while still hampered by a faulty engine and also developing ARR alongside it.

Yes what a lazy solution to a problem.  Not enough content?  Don't worry we have NO CONTENT!!  YAY!

Hope you like PvP and role playing because that's all you've got to look forward to forever.  Oh and lots of cash shop crap to help you immerse yourself in your psuedo reality!  Second Life best MMORPG of all time!!!!!!!!

It may be an impression I got from soemthign i read, because I can't find it, but didn't SE say that crafting was going to be important for endgame? And I don't mean that just everything being tradeable, but that raiding itself was going to involve crafting? Like high end mats being part of loot drops and such. I say that because it could just have been a hypothetical conversation so I can't verify it. 

Also, I thought the job leveled with the classes, but you still had to level at least 2 classes at a minimum.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Murugan

It may be an impression I got from soemthign i read, because I can't find it, but didn't SE say that crafting was going to be important for endgame? And I don't mean that just everything being tradeable, but that raiding itself was going to involve crafting? Like high end mats being part of loot drops and such. I say that because it could just have been a hypothetical conversation so I can't verify it. 

Also, I thought the job leveled with the classes, but you still had to level at least 2 classes at a minimum.

Yes it will have that, but none of that requires you yourself to have the craft leveled.

There are benefits economically and to convenience to level up crafts.  However it is not necessary for your own progression of your battle job

Jobs do level the class it is equipped to, but if you aren't going to play Dragoon there is no reason you have to level Lancer past 34 when you get the last cross class ability (well there are achievements etc.).

I doubt most fresh start players will even have started working on their first relic weapons by November.  But that isn't the point, it is about keeping those that do, and the many legacy players content with content.

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57

OP you can thank World of warcraft for this "endgame mentality" as FF14 ARR looks into WoW for inspiration for their game and "WoW standards".   no offense to any but its true.

I also played FF11 and also feel the same way, I played for 6 years and endgame was more after thought because of the journey to endgame was like a adventure.......like a rpg.  Nowadays everyone tries to copy WoW and this has become the standard which many mmorpg copy from.