Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Two Cents

Comments

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

Are people just being difficult? Do you not want to understand what others are saying?

EQN looks like a disney cartoon, i.e. a kids game.

EQ 'vets' think it should look like a game catered more to adults.

• doc_shevekdoc_shevek Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by doc_shevek

I am a history teacher. Still, I am not going to get into an aside with you over the validity of bringing those images into this discussion (particularly the late medieval fencing armor...).

Also, I am not advocating that the graphics should or should not look like real world arms and armor. Instead, I am suggesting the the art style of EQN does not draw inspiration from mature high fantasy art as should a game which is part of the EQ brand.

Ok first you said its was too "cartoony" then you said it was "unrealistic" now you make a third attempt to change your story? Both previous arguments have been kicked to the curb. What exactly are you trying to say? Because you change so much, I am kind of at a lose here. Times change, graphics change, things become more lively, and its a game full of made up fantasy stuff, but you don't want EQN to draw inspiration from high fantasy art? EQN is not EQ1 or EQ2, I still don't see an issue.

Ok, you can nit pick words all you like but that is not enganging in discussion. My opinion has stayed the same throughout. If you do not wish to follow it, that is fine but lets engage ideas and not just trip eachother over words. I am sure you can go back and peruse my posts to get a clear picture of my opinion of you wish. If I misspoke at any given instance, my apologies. If you wish for clarification about a specific statement, please let me know so I can clarify or make corrections if I misspoke.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by vidiotking

Are people just being difficult? Do you not want to understand what others are saying?

Two way street. I am also an old gamer, and dislike cartoony graphics. But EQN does not look too cartoony nor unrealistic.

And graphics are a poor excuse to shoot the game down. As older gamers its more about content, features, freedom, etc. I care less about the graphics as long as I don't have to suffer through another new aged wow clone cookie cutter mmo with the entitlement era kids wanting everything dumbed down and easy.

Roughly........

Two way street. I am also an old gamer, and dislike cartoony graphics. But EQN does not look too cartoony nor unrealistic.

And graphics are a poor excuse to shoot the game down. As older gamers its more about content, features, freedom, etc. I care less about the graphics as long as I don't have to suffer through another new aged wow clone cookie cutter mmo with the entitlement era kids wanting everything dumbed down and easy.

Roughly........

I'm just following this thread wondering why people seem to not understand what other people are saying.

You say "too cartoony", so you admit that it does look atleaset 'somewhat' cartoony.. It's grey area.

I think it's fair to say that a reasonable person could look at EQN and say it resembles a disney movie. I think it does. I just don't hold that against it. I think, overall, EQN looks pretty promising.

Maybe people are trolling or practicing their sophism?

Roughly........

I don't know about other posters but I am not disappointed with the graphics because they are or are not "realistic." I do believe they are quite cartoony however. How anyone can view EQN as it is and not see a cartoon is beyond me.

• FionnFionn Member Posts: 68

Roughly........

I don't know about other posters but I am not disappointed with the graphics because they are or are not "realistic." I do believe they are quite cartoony however. How anyone can view EQN as it is and not see a cartoon is beyond me.

If you don't like the look, don't play it.  Simple as that.  I really love the new character looks and can't wait to play them.  Much much better than EQ and EQ2.  So I am going to agree to disagree with your views on these characters not being for mature EQ Vets.  I played EQ from the first year it was out and the human and kerrans look fantastic.

If you don't like the look, don't play it.  Simple as that.  I really love the new character looks and can't wait to play them.  Much much better than EQ and EQ2.  So I am going to agree to disagree with your views on these characters not being for mature EQ Vets.  I played EQ from the first year it was out and the human and kerrans look fantastic.

I agree, if you don't like the look enough, don't play it.

I like the new character look, I'm a big Disney/Pixar fan.

I too am an EQ 'vet'.

That being said, I don't believe, and I could be wrong, that these graphics are being marketed to EQ 'vets'.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

WOW-like or like everything else that has big flashy armor? WOW is not the only property to look that way, and it's no where close to the first, hell Blizz stole their look entirely from Warhammer. Why do people give wow so much credit?

A more fair comparison is box art? What sense does that make? Rarely has box art represented in-game visuals.

1. I do not doubt that other games and properties (such as Warhammer) have a similar graphic style to WoW but WoW did popularize the look MMOs and "WoW-like" is understood by most to have a certain set of graphical qualities.

2. That is a fair point. However, I would argue that art direction and box art have more than a passing resemblance. WoW box art is very similar to in game character designs. I recall the Diablo 2 box art having very similar designs to its own in game design. Fallout box art had the same gritty post apocolyptic design as did the ingame graphics.

Utimately, when looking at EQ, released in 1999, and I look at those in game graphics as having much more akin to the high fantasy box art than the cartoony graphics we are being presented with in this iteration. Moreover, earlier in the thread I merely brought up the box art as proof that graphics can be painterly without being cartoony. In other words, if the dev team wanted to go for a graphic style that strayed from "realism"  they could have done so in a fashion that stayed true to the EQ brand rather than go with childlike cartoony graphics.

For me looking at EQ1, I can't see much art direction one way or the other, especially when looking at the original models. Art doesn't seem to be something that was a priority in EQ1,  the bare minimum comes to mind as a description. This was the case for most old MMO's though. Rarely were they up to the times so to speak in terms of graphics, they didn't really go with differing art styles either.. Most old MMO models look fairly similar, especially between EQ and DAOC.

As for 1. sorry just a peeve of mine to see WOW used as the basis behind things like that, especially art style as they stole theirs.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Fionn

I know that I have the option not to play it, what exactly is your point? This is a discussion forum, people are discussing...

Anywho, people can agree to disagree.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    What is it with humans today that they place such a high value in the form and not the substance? The only place where the outward visual appearance of something matters is in math when you're looking at analyzing a function's graph to determine certain parameters, anything else isn't opinion or taste it is pure stupidity (due note when it comes to people outward appearance could matter if it indicates mental instability but even here it should be applied only in a objective manner).

Originally posted by Dihoru
    What is it with humans today that they place such a high value in the form and not the substance? The only place where the outward visual appearance of something matters is in math when you're looking at analyzing a function's graph to determine certain parameters, anything else isn't opinion or taste it is pure stupidity (due note when it comes to people outward appearance could matter if it indicates mental instability but even here it should be applied only in a objective manner).

Have you ever even met a human?

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158

Roughly........

OMG this.

I've said time and time again I'd play Tiddlywinks Online if the gameplay was amazing and offered me hard challenging content with a focus on a virtual world.  Great thing is EQN offers me most everything I've wanted from an MMO since Asheron's Call and the last thing I will complain about is how it looks.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

Originally posted by Daaken

Roughly........

OMG this.

I've said time and time again I'd play Tiddlywinks Online if the gameplay was amazing and offered me hard challenging content with a focus on a virtual world.  Great thing is EQN offers me most everything I've wanted from an MMO since Asheron's Call and the last thing I will complain about is how it looks.

So, the last thing you would complain about is how it looks, but you would complain about it? People don't like the way it looks, is that so hard to understand.... Isn't that  a valid complaint?

So, the last thing you would complain about is how it looks, but you would complain about it? People don't like the way it looks, is that so hard to understand.... Isn't that  a valid complaint?

This isn't twitter or facebook, valid or not it's going to be dissected, if you don't want your opinions and tastes to become the topic, don't bring them here as a topic.

This isn't twitter, valid or not it's going to be dissected, if you don't want your opinions and tastes to become the topic, don't bring them here as a topic.

Heh. I understand that this is where ideas and opinions get disected. I guess I'm just misunderstanding folks. You understand both sides of the argument. You just refuse to lend any credence to the other side?

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by Daaken

Roughly........

OMG this.

It's a valid opinion when someone doesn't like the look of it. But seeing as we haven't seen anything more than a tech demo, graphics or "cartoony" is not a valid complaint to trash the game as a whole.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

This isn't twitter or facebook, valid or not it's going to be dissected, if you don't want your opinions and tastes to become the topic, don't bring them here as a topic.

This.

Your on a public forum,you can express any opinion you wish as long as it doesn't infringe on forum rules,but people can give their opinion of your opinion and so on.If you can't take that you need to not post and probably not read.

It's a valid opinion when someone doesn't like the look of it. But seeing as we haven't seen anything more than a tech demo, graphics or "cartoony" is not a valid complaint to trash the game as a whole.

Yes! I agree with this whole heartedly! However, for some people, at times myself included, graphics alone can ruin a game.

I have never dated a brunette. 

Realize, I think EQN looks(graphics included) pretty damn promising.

I often don't post on forums because people are not actually willing to discuss views they disagree with. Instead, people are claiming I am a graphics whore and gameplay is king. So, rather than engage in a discussion about those concerns it is far simpler to attack the concerns themselves and make them seem trivial. If you find the concern to be trivial, you should just avoid the thread.

For example, if I am at a bus stop and two men are having an animated discussion over whether or not a sports team is any good, I would not interject if I found the conversation to be frivolous. "Hey, sports is dumb! real men discuss foreign policy!" However, if I felt I had a valid insight into their discussion, then I would chime in and hope to elevate their discussion beyond mere argument.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

Doc, I'm glad you posted this. I've been waiting for someone to finally step forward and let us know they are displeased at the direction of the game, particularly the stylized graphics.

Hopefully your courage will spread to others to voice their displeasure and SOE will take notice and scrap this game again  and just recreate EQ1 with updated graphics and a modern UI.  

You made me do a spit take you bastard!!! LOL

It's like they don't even see the 100 other threads stating the same thing! It's just crazy.

Or the 100 other replies from a couple dozen of you.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Yes! I agree with this whole heartedly! However, for some people, at times myself included, graphics alone can ruin a game.

I don't think any one said it wasn't a valid opinion most opinion are valid to the person expressing them.If you can't get past the graphics then you can't and should look elsewhere.

The problem most have is we've heard this complaint over and over which wouldn't be an issue if it was contained to one thread and discussed there but there's about 100 threads a day started by the same people saying the same thing they've been saying since the second with no new points.

It gets boring.

• FionnFionn Member Posts: 68

I think the game looks fantastic graphically.

Jolana - The Human Wizard had amazing facial changes via emotes, clothing and equipment worked very well together, hair and body movements looked natural unlike EQ2.

Keeshar - The Kerran Warrior has great physical prowess.  His larger shoulder equipment and movement all made for a great flow in character automation.  His abilities made him look strong, dexterous, and quick.  His facial expressions were outstanding when he growled, his lips snarled, and he licked his chops.

The automation of the characters when walking, running, sprinting, jumping all looked natural.  The spells, abilities, and equipment additions like Boots of the Zephyr all made the game look incredibly enjoyable to navigate.

The landscape and geology do NOT look cartoonish and look very fun and adventurous.  The mix of vertical and horizontal landscapes make the typography look very realistic and natural looking.  The day and night cycles only increase my desire to adventure in the world.

This looks awesome.

Originally posted by Drakynn

I don't think any one said it wasn't a valid opinion most opinion are valid to the person expressing them.If you can't get past the graphics then you can't and should look elsewhere.

The problem most have is we've heard this complaint over and over which wouldn't be an issue if it was contained to one thread and discussed there but there's about 100 threads a day started by the same people saying the same thing they've been saying since the second with no new points.

It gets boring.

This is much easier for me to understand. Thank You. Truly.

This isn't twitter, valid or not it's going to be dissected, if you don't want your opinions and tastes to become the topic, don't bring them here as a topic.

Heh. I understand that this is where ideas and opinions get disected. I guess I'm just misunderstanding folks. You understand both sides of the argument. You just refuse to lend any credence to the other side?

Heh, yeah that does happen, but I think that's human nature, look at any debate and you see the same. I don't really like EQN's art style either, though I couldn't care less about it in the grand scheme of things. The features are all I really care about. Which are so vague at this point I have no stance either way on EQN.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Holy crap! I leave to go play a little EQ II and this thread has continued to grow!

I should start my own epic thread...I shall call it "My THREE Cents"...it'll be awesome!!!