Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what was your first MMORPG?

MirariMirariMirariMirari Member UncommonPosts: 47

Mine was MapleStory when I was about 10 xD

My mom's friend's daughter played MapleStory and was obsessed with it, I thought it looked pretty cool and I saw alot of fanbase stuff for it, so I tried it out, pretty fun for a while but eventually I got tired of grinding.

I didn't even know what a MMORPG was back then until after I quit playing, then I moved on to start trying them out and they are great so my official MMORPG I actually knew about and started playing was Dragon Nest, I discovered it through an artist on DeviantArt xD

This is just random, something to spark up nostalgia and lighten the mood.

I really don't know what to put here.

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta Online; discovered it in the basement of the Regenstein library summer after my Junior year in college, age 22.  U of C had an awesome student computer lab in Crerar: I downloaded it onto every mac tower I could, and played it using the over-ear headphones provided.

Fast forward one decade and I'm still an avid player. image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

EVE Online

I did watch some youtube of Dragon's Nest and although I normally rail about F2P games :P it looked pretty decent.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Kingdom of Drakkar, a precursor to MMOs, at $2 per HOUR, no less.

Then UO and EQ .. but those are "new" games compared to KoD.

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

I guess mine would be Runescape back in middle school. All I had to play computer games on was my father's work laptop and a dial-up internet connection. I was looking for a game to play online and that came up on the list, and was the first nontext-based game I had found. I got sucked in and had to beg my parents to give up the phone for a few hours so I could play my runescape.

When I entered high school I had a friend who had played on and off and I asked if he would play with me. He got one of his friends in on the game and all of a sudden we started building a group of runescapers. Me, my friend and his friend (who is now my best friend even today) would pull all nighters at my friends house just playing rs on our respective computers and then at 9 in the morning we would take a break and walk to the burger king or publix for some breakfast.

Those were awesome times, and I really miss that feeling playing games today. Now that I'm not in school anymore, it's harder to meet people in real life who have the same interests as me. Even though I don't play Runescape anymore (though I still dip in time to time), the memories it gave me will stay with me my whole gaming lifetime.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194
    FFXI online was my very first mmorpg.  I have the box for Ultima Online, but I can't say I played it much.  I installed it ran around the town a little bit, asked a question or 2 and logged out.  Maybe spent 3 hours in that game and couldn't make anything of it.
  • CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

EvE Online. 

I was on ebay back in 03' looking for games to buy and there were at least 100 player created characters for sale. I had never even heard of EvE. Only MMORPG I had heard of was Everquest and it looked terrible to me. Anyway, one of the characters was for sale for $1,600 USD and it had 7 bids! 

I couldn't believe it. I had to see what this game was all about. Dabbled in many, haven't been too successful so far. Still waiting it would seem.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    rappelz iirc, but had fun first in Sword of the new world wen it was new, all the later pubs turned it into...shit ~_~

hallo ~_~

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    UO was the first I played, but I was an armchair developer for years before the industry existed.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

UO for me.

Loved it!! And still do !!

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    WoW. I had seen UO and EQ, but never tried them.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

My first real mmo was Star Wars Galaxies. Before that I played the hell out of Phantasy Star Online but that doesnt truly count as an mmo. Before that, I dabbled in Ultima Online but I wouldn't call it enough to be my first mmo.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Neocron.  That was before I knew that I was playinga  game considered a sandbox and open world PVP.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226
    Good ol' Runescape

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Played some stuff that was hourly before the internet, but first real mmo was UO, and first modern online game was Diablo hackfest.
  • KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Meridian 59, I still like to remember leaving the caves to Ko'catan.
  • ChawkChawk Member UncommonPosts: 16

SWG

I didn't even know the genre existed while playing SWG.  It wasn't until I discovered CoH, and EQ2 did I realize the MMO world I had been mission out on.

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Anarchy Online. I didn't know there is a genre called mmorpg. I haven't found such a deep character progression and background story in any other game. EVE Online is close but it's deep in a different kind of way.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Ultima Online....about the 2,3rd day it went live. Stayed 1 1/2 years.....till the pking drove me to Everquest.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    My first was was likely Dark Sun Online.  I'm not sure though.  
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Lineage 1 beta, back in 1999. I was completely in awe that I was playing with hundreds of other people at the same time. Great game, great times. I still play it sometimes on a private server.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Meridian 59 but only breifly. UO was my first MMO that i really invested time in to... Damm expensive hobby back then... You complain about cash shops... Try explaining the phone bill you got from a few solid nights of modem play.

This have been a good conversation

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    UO at launch and still playin...  :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Asheron's Call... I still hate Lugians.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    I think my first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies, although my first free one was Nine Dragons.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• FionnFionn Member Posts: 68
    EQ, I don't consider UO an MMORPG in the 3rd person sense of the games we play today.  To me, Everquest started the genre.