Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I got banned from the beta because i made a joke.

Comments

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor
    Originally posted by Avengorik

This is year 2013.

Your cannot make fun of :

-People sexuality choice / love choice

-Race

-Religion

-Beleives

-valors

-Job

-Size/weight

-Height

-Food habbit

-clothes/look

-Disability

-Behavior

etc...

May seem very complicated but when you look at it it can be sum up to 1 word : Respect.

The world has gone to Hell with all this PC BS. You can't speak or crack a joke without someone being upset! What a sad little world we live in.

One of the worse parts is that all these "offended" people are the worst white knights you can get, they "demand" equal rights, free speech and respect, and yet fail to see that by doing so they are abusing the very ones they are demanding it from.

It's time to revert back to one of my old, favourite jokes... A drunk guy says to a policeman "If I call you a **** ****ing *******!" would you arrest me? To which the cop says "Yes!", the drunk then says "What if I think it?!?!" *boom, boom*.

The world is PC crazy, Armageddon can't come soon enough! :(

Little world, many people, if you sneeze nowadays your gonna offend someone in earshot. 

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

If you got banned from ffarr beta for posting that why would you go to another forum and repost it?

Common Sense seems to be a rare drop these days

• poscarposcar Member Posts: 1

This is probably a stupid example

But should I be surprised if I made a comment on the forums which I have absolute control of

"The world of Final N*gtasy"

or

"The world of Final N*gg*rtasy"

I completely support interracial marriage, it doesn't matter what the color of someone's skin is."

Whichever is offensive, now lets say these words had a variety of meanings that weren't at all negative, it's GOING TO BE NEGATIVE, because of the context they were used in.   So I'm not sure why people are defending the word and giving different definitions to the word fag or faggot.

The word fag wasn't used to describe a cigarette or anything but something related to homosexuality which is why it is offensive.  I find it surprising people are surprised that you were banned for making this statement.  I'm also not attacking, I'm just genuinely surprised this surprised you or anyone else.

You're testing  a game at the moment, even though you are supporting a community you've decided to involve a derogatory word in there which is now putting your support in question.  Any hint of toxicity is slapped with a ban in any form of beta process.  Even if it wasn't in its beta phase, I still would not be surprised if you were slapped with a temporary or permanent ban.

Anyways, to my point, you shouldn't be surprised you're banned.  I'd be surprised if it was a permanent ban to the game after retail release, since the game is in it's beta phase, no, there is no reason to be surprised.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Maybe I should go to their forum and say something "bad" too. Maybe they will then finally remove me from their spam list, since unsubscribing a dozen times over several years had no effect. I still receive their spam.

It takes one to know one.

• AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Basically, the gay community of FF14 made YET ANOTHER thread asking for same-sex marriage.

The thread was met with a lot of critique and humor, not because of the contents of the request, which are fair, but because they just keep making this "include gay features" threads every single week.

And just like it happened in the few last threads, people just ended up making light jokes about it and simply shrugging their shoulders at the constant gay threads ( right now there is TWO in the  first page)

I myself posted the following:

16 pages and not a single user posted the usual Final Fagtasy pun?

What´s going on in this community?

Anyway, i do not have any issue with anyone being able to marry whom they damn please, it is NOT my business and if it makes them happy, i will applaud it.

After all, why would anyone feel bothered by the fact two players that are not even in his circle of friends have married on a game?

Just let people have fun xD

And this message got me banned from the beta.

It may not be the most sensitive joke ever, it may even have been childish by my part, but getting banned out of it?

How can we get this homophobic tool from these forums aswell? doesnt seem to be any report button

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

The funny thing is, that right after that joke i actually support the thread and support gay people and their rights to enjoy all the features in the game, so it´s obvious i had no ill will with it.

Maybe they thought it was just a poorly thought out joke and had you been more clever you wouldn't have been banned?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor
    Originally posted by Avengorik

The world is PC crazy, Armageddon can't come soon enough! :(

Translation: I wish you were all dead.  Waaaaaaaaaaaa

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

You said something you shouldn't have. This is the first time I've seen a "I've been banned!" thread and actually thought the OP deserved punishment.

The way SE goes with their accounts you usually get 1 warning and then a ban. Just be happy you didn't use up your warning before the game actually came out.

Just make a new account, it won't take you long. (it will take you way less time than to go through their support rabbit hole)

You'll only miss out on 1 day of open beta, not a game changer.

Always hit preview post and reread what you say and ask yourself "can anyone get offended by this?". If you even have to question anything, it's best to delete/reword.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Basically, the gay community of FF14 made YET ANOTHER thread asking for same-sex marriage.

The thread was met with a lot of critique and humor, not because of the contents of the request, which are fair, but because they just keep making this "include gay features" threads every single week.

And just like it happened in the few last threads, people just ended up making light jokes about it and simply shrugging their shoulders at the constant gay threads ( right now there is TWO in the  first page)

Anyway, i do not have any issue with anyone being able to marry whom they damn please, it is NOT my business and if it makes them happy, i will applaud it.

After all, why would anyone feel bothered by the fact two players that are not even in his circle of friends have married on a game?

It may not be the most sensitive joke ever, it may even have been childish by my part, but getting banned out of it?

Here comes my ban: Politics.

We no longer live in a world where we can have "free speech". I am old and grew up hearing "Sticks and stones can break your bones, but WORDS can never hurt me.". I buy into this completely. Many today don't.

Frankly I am sad to see the decline of free speech. Without our society will surely decline and stagnate. Remember Galileo was accused of blasphemy for asserting that the earth was not the center of the universe.

I think we need to stop being such sissies and move on.

If you are super offended, try this one form primary school: "I'm rubber you're glue. Whatever you say, bounces off me and sticks to you." Or the classic "I know you are but what am I?"

In all honesty, if you are so hurt by a strangers words, it is you who needs to spend some time on the therapist's couch.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Epicent
    Originally posted by aspekx
    Originally posted by Mackeskimo
    Originally posted by shadowmonke

i'm gay and I am not offended with what you wrote

however

i can honestly say that straight people should really keep their opinion to themselves about lgbt issues unless it's full blown support

human rights are really no joke, its not a joke how much people have to fight to get equality, how much people have to go against the grain and bother people with threads every week just to be able to marry each other in a stupid game let alone in reality, and considering that we are not yet considered equals in many states the word "fag" can bring up issues with more sensitive people or people that are simply tired or the bullshit they have to face daily instead of being supported on such a simple issues as gay rights

"i can honestly say that straight people should really keep their opinion to themselves about lgbt issues unless it's full blown support"

and gays should stay out of straight people's lives, churches, and whatever other nonsense I can think of... unless its Full blown support.... see how stupid that sounded lol

sorry but life doesn't work that way, if you want equality and tolerance, you have to expect to give it... Any jokes or anything that isnt FULL BLOWN support is worthy of Ban?! what happen to tolerance...?

you're right it is dumb.

its dumb because none of the groups you listed are fighting for basic human rights. none of the groups you listed are still hesitant to display public affection in certain parts of our country for fear of physical reprisal against them.

how many straight people or church going folks fear kissing in public or are fighting tooth and nail for the law to change on marriage equality.

what you are describing is dumb because the balance of inequity most certainly does not lean in the direction of sexually straight churchgoers in america.

Church  goers..............aren't those the guys that preach love but have a book that directly tells them to hate certain groups of people.

While the bible does take a stand on many topics its very clear, it says to 'honor men of all sorts' Also says you would know true christains by their love. You can disagree with someone and still show them honor, love and respect. How you live your life is up to each person, to the point you harm someome. There is no reason to harm anyone even verbally.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

How about a new approach to why you were banned. Instead of throwing up our arms and saying this world now a days such, lets try to add a bit more 'human' behavior into the mix.

The moderators on the forums are quickly sifting through the trash as it flies at them at break-neck speed.

Here comes a thread with same sex marriage in it. The thread quickly escalates into a flame fest where people are throwing puns, insults and diatribe at people, so the moderators lock the thread.

Another thread pops up and continues without the slandering of the original, the moderator allows it, for now. Then you enter, suggest that the slander from the old thread should continue with using the same pun they had locked the old thread with.

The moderator is now pissed, he looks over his shoulder "Hey Bob, ban this guy!"

"Already done," Bob replies.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I fail to see the humor in that post.

The word is demeaning and offensive to a certain demographic.  What I don't get is how some people feel they can be disrespectful toward others and not have to deal with consequences.  I have a question for you?  Would you feel comfortable saying that out loud in a public place?  If so, then I hope you get the point.  If not, then you need to grow up because that is childish behavior.  If you're a child, I hope you learned something from it.

You deserved the ban.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

I am honestly confused at how many people truly feel my statement is offensive considering the context.

I do respect your opinions, but i really hope i never reach the day in which i wish or agree upon the suspension of someone because he used a bad word in a non-offensive manner or context.

I mean, my joke was, without a doubt, childish,  but getting worked up over a word sounds equally childish to me.

Maybe i am wrong but.... O.o

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Very disrespectful thing to say.  Deal with it.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

To be honest, what bothers me the most is not the ban itself, but  the feeling that there is a double standard when it comes to homosexuality, as if making light of it was any worse than making light of any other topic.

I can´t shake the feeling that, if i had made a joke about any other topic, i would not have been sanctioned.

LOL Yeah.  I'm sure if you turned the N word into some lame ass pun, nobody would be offended!

I am honestly confused at how many people truly feel my statement is offensive considering the context.

I do respect your opinions, but i really hope i never reach the day in which i wish or agree upon the suspension of someone because he used a bad word in a non-offensive manner or context.

I mean, my joke was, without a doubt, childish,  but getting worked up over a word sounds equally childish to me.

What is even more shocking to me is that you don't see anything wrong with that post.

The fact that you tried to soften the blow by sounding supportive in your post narrative does not negate the wrong done by using an offensive word that is used to demean a group of people.  And if you don't think the word is demeaning, how about you try calling someone by that name out in public one day.  In other words, try this ... next time you need to innocently get the attention of a gay person out in public ... try calling him that word in the nicest way possible instead of "Mister."  Then come back and tell us how that worked out for you. 

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

What is even more shocking to me is that you don't see anything wrong with that post.

The fact that you tried to soften the blow by sounding supportive in your post narrative does not negate the wrong done by using an offensive word that is used to demean a group of people.  And if you don't think the word is demeaning, how about you try calling someone by that name out in public one day.  In other words, try this ... next time you need to innocently get the attention of a gay person out in public ... try calling him that word in the nicest way possible instead of "Mister."  Then come back and tell us how that worked out for you. 

This is the problem with you guys.

What you are basically saying is that i purposefully launched an offense and then i attempted to deceive everyone by faking my support so that i can pass the insult under the radar, which is ridiculous.

I simply made a joke cause fag and fan sound similar and that´s all there is to it, there´s no hidden meaning or motive, i simply made a childish joke.

And  i highly doubt that if i go to a gay  support meeting, they will get all butthurt over me having used the word fag if i am actually supportive and protective of their rights, as i have been in that thread.

In fact, considering my gay friends are pretty much facepalming at the whole issue, i can´t really see it happening.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by cupofcoffee
    Originally posted by jesteralways

The word "fag" has been used to identify "cigarette" in England for centuries("lighting a fag" or "pass me the fag"). one the other hand the word "faggot" has been used in England to describe annoying old people or generally very annoying people, even now they use those words openly(or at least in manchester where my uncle lives, i grew up learning english from Hollywood movies and it took me quite a while to stomach these words when my uncle used them day to day). problem here was the north american community, these words "faggot" and "fag" are explicitly used here as slang toward homosexuals(i don't understand why at all). but anyways slang in one country is common word word in another, people just have to realize on which country they are.

Here is an explanation, not sure if it is valid:

I think, as others have stated already, words are very powerful and there are some that simply should not be used any more imo.

I actually switched servers while trying out tera, because there were some players who used very offensive language in general chat (e.g. 'fag', and nazi related words). I reported them (as, i am sure, others did) but nothing happened...

edit: spelling

Words only have power if given power, oversensitivity is what allows that power. Not to say I don't agree with the ban, as using that language in a public place without expecting a ban is just well dumb.

Still people need to stop feeding the power to these words, those who use them are simple minded, in the end they're worse off than those who they offend.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

oh come on, I'm gay and didn't find it offensive,  not really that funny either lol but not offensive at all.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

What you are basically saying is that i purposefully launched an offense and then i attempted to deceive everyone by faking my support so that i can pass the insult under the radar, which is ridiculous.

I simply made a joke cause fag and fan sound similar and that´s all there is to it, there´s no hidden meaning or motive, i simply made a childish joke.

And  i highly doubt that if i go to a gay  support meeting, they will get all butthurt over me having used the word fag if i am actually supportive and protective of their rights, as i have been in that thread.

In fact, considering my gay friends are pretty much facepalming at the whole issue, i can´t really see it happening.

Seriously, how old are you??

Because that may explain it all.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Your form is fine. But your two first sentenses,are inciting people to post derogatory comments. Even if you position yourself favorably towards it in the rest of your post.

You poured some oil in the fire and then attempted to walk away.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • shadowmonkeshadowmonke Member Posts: 48

no, this is the problem with you

being negative, making fun of people, slandering a group of people... simply isn't funny

what the hell is so funny about final fagtasy?

haha?

what?

i'm not laughing or smiling.

cows trying to walk down a flight of stairs is funny.

i honestly think you need to think about your personality and your view of the world and try to be a nicer person

if you use the world fag so non challantly and as a joke you can't be pleasant to hang out with, regardless of your opinion of yourself or what the people you surround yourself with say

grow up please and learn how to be a better citizen of the world

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    The joke wasnt funny, but the result was.
  • TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123

who cares if its offensive or not..as long as its not threatening Ill not allow the thought police to dictate to me what I say.You shouldn't either.

• shadowmonkeshadowmonke Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Ticklepink

whop cares if its offensive or not..as long as its not threatening Ill not allow the thought police to dictate to me what I say.You shouldn't either.

oh my god how revolting

This discussion has been closed.