Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We are tired of casual, single player action MMO

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

Indeed OP, but this has been part of the financial strategy that MMO's have used for years now. Go for a polished launch and worry about end level later. This insured box sales and return on investment. But with the advent of F2P this model does not work so well, you still need a polished launch though, no MMO can launch badly today and survive.

Taking up the last post, how happy are gaming companies with players who play and go as opposed to those who play and stay? Well from the aspect of complaints, I am sure they do prefer those who play and go. But do they pay and go? If players who are game hopping are putting no money into the game I doubt they are seen as a gaming companies most valued customers.

So the regard that gaming companies have for game hoppers rather depends on the financial structure of the MMO. I would suggest they are favoured by B2P, accepted by P2P and rather looked down on for F2P. At least in financial terms.

But the baulk of players are now game hoppers and the less they have invested in a game (like a box fee) the more likely they are to hop. This creates a precarious base for the industry and for online gaming, not just MMO gaming.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by fefedobson
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I'm not a casual gamer and I have been game hopping for years now

then you're a casual

Faulty logic. Hardcore players burn within a month through the content and hop to the next one. Casual usually require a few more month until high level, and stay somewhat longer. ;)

But.. if a game sucks, both will leave it.

@OP:

And i agree with the faulty focus of solo play only, with more or less no incentive, not even the option to play with friends. And i don't necessarily mean a complete group, but it would be fun, if we would have a few packs of mobs that could be handled from 2-3 friends playing togher, but not alone.

And i disagree with your "action" statement. Yeah, up to now most Action MMOs are not perfect. But almost any of them is better as the boring old tab-target combat.. i can't stand it anymore. Pls give me War of Roses Combat with a few more Skills.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Zapzap

They may pay but they don't play.  They are short termers.  Here today gone tomorrow and the real players are left playing and paying for the mess their demands have left the game in.

yep, BUT the 80% short termers leave because they got fed up with the 20% hardcore elitist attitudes.

And as a mmo financer I would rather have those 80% on board +20% self entitled elitists whining then having the game on f2p Life Support.

Btw, OP troll has hardly any effort built into it, shame for me for baiting out of boredom,

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

Casuals never stick with games and are gamehoppers.

Stop catering to them.

Questions...

Is EQN going to be your first MMO? If so your statement doesn't add up because you don't have any experience to qualify your statement.

If EQN is not going to be your first MMO then by definition you are going to be a gamehopper...

Ironic really!

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Stop catering to them.

I would say .. stop catering to casuals who are looking for cheap easy not time consuming fun, that is not what mmorpgs are about.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Hardcore v casual really, necro topic.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

The game I've stuck with for over 10 years might be considered an action MMORPG by some.  I prefer finding depth in learning how to efficiently navigate three-dimensional space while keeping track of multiple opponents, or in learning how to effectively fly formation with wingmates during heated combat, than in keeping track of numbers going up on a screen.

Watching the numbers go up is just kind of a long-term goal type-thing, but it's not really what keeps me playing.  The depth keeps me playing, as well as the other players with whom I interact.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Minority want real hardcore content that takes months to complete. If it was a game like that, sure would have been great. Then they would have to create a game with raiding and open world bosses and pvp only. Shouldn't be such a huge budget imo.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Stop catering to them.

Just get it out with. You actually mean : CATER TO ME, PLSSSS!!!11!!!1

Stop blaming others.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Yet we have hardcore gamers that rush to max level, complain that there is no content in the game (because they skipped most of it and have to wait for everyone to catch up) then do the exact same thing and game hop.
  • DerapDerap Member UncommonPosts: 19

The whole MMO Genre has become so stagnant and boring that ive taken up a new hobby.

cars

If the gaming industry ever wants to get me back they need to make a game with depth choice and variety, a mmo where you could build a forge, cut down a tree, chop up the wood, feed it into the forge, fan the flames, make a pickaxe, go hunting for iron in ever changing mines (Think minecraft), mine it, meld it, and have all of your subsequent skills go up in level producing better items as you go is the game that would have me stick around. 

(Think old school Ultima Online, with a new graphics engine)

I think this is what all MMO'ers want at this point, no more of this simplistic crap

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

Stop catering to them.

Don't think this is going to happen, judging from the latest mmos incoming.

Anyway, the main point of playing is to have fun in mmos

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

This discussion has been closed.