Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Database deleted !

IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

(Scenario of course)

So what will happen if say , tomorrow Blizzard announce that all their WoW databases was lost because of a system(systems) failure ? 

I think some will quit, most will stay and a lot will return ( new and old ) , to start fresh.

What do you think will happen in a scenario like this?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Not gonna happen...

If their systems fail that all (active) databases would crash and be deleted, they most surely have tons of backups on tape/discs to restore. In the worse case you'd have a 1-week roll back, but I doubt that it'll be that bad. Instead the rollback might be only a couple of hours, 1 day tops.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Reizla

Not gonna happen...

If their systems fail that all (active) databases would crash and be deleted, they most surely have tons of backups on tape/discs to restore. In the worse case you'd have a 1-week roll back, but I doubt that it'll be that bad. Instead the rollback might be only a couple of hours, 1 day tops.

Erm, I asked what do you think it will happen in a scenario , like this. Of course it can't be possible...

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318

I wouldn't mind that at all, i can finally level my characters again.

Leveling is my favourit thing to do in WoW then doing end game sh*t.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I think their database is backed up every 8 hours, so i wouldnt worry too much.image
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if this ever happened in a scenario where backups were also lost then Blizz finally killed WoW. Period.

Originally posted by Phry
    I think their database is backed up every 8 hours, so i wouldnt worry too much.image

Man...... it's a scenario! C'mon! Just say what you think it will happen, or what you will do :)

Originally posted by rojo6934

if this ever happened in a scenario where backups were also lost then Blizz finally killed WoW. Period.

Yea, it could also kill it , or it will be the perfect time to go F2P ... :)

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

I think at this stage it'll be easier to rob Fort Knox than to hack Blizzard's network.

They made it a point long ago to be decentralized, so the problems seen in the DoS attack in EvE last June doesn't happen. The database isn't that centralized. The server merging coming up is virtual even.

Only way to get all the pieces is probably raiding Blizzard HQ. Good luck, they're ready for that army of paladins to storm Ghostcrawler's Ivory tower as it is! lol

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Uhm, I don't think anyone would care, since that probably means EMP of some kind has hit us and we have no power anyway, and we are probably in chaos and couldn't play anyway.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Well, i may be upset for a couple hours, then realize it´s a videogame, shrug and go on with life xD

• RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53

OP it seems at lot of people cant fucking read lol.

I dont play wow any more as it feels like a sub par game for me. something i might play if it was free from level 1 to max and it would be very casual.

If i had an account and suddenly everyone lost everything, id actually be happy. This would mean old and new players would all have to start from the very beginning. of course vet players would know the cheap ways to get to teh top but whatever. just means that in PvP everyone would be equal. for a while anyways.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I would go to the party at Mr. Aihoshi's house where he'd celebrate the downfall of the last stronghold of P2P.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

could work in wows favor

ie  Blizzard is launching 50 new servers !   (may as well be w no existing characters)

I can't speak for other gamers, but i love playing games on new servers

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

One thing I wish WoW would do, along these lines, is offer a progression server like EQ1 did/does (haven't played in a long while).  I liked the starting fresh and seeing how far your guild and/or you could get to in the game.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

If they enjoyed the game, most would return (assuming Blizz offered them compensation in some form), heck when I returned for Cata I just started a brand new Warrior on a new server.  Within a month I was max level with 1000 gold in the bank, so not really a huge inconvenience.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    I would probably renew my sub for a while :p