Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO." - per Terry Michaels

1235»

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people"

They should have said they were making a children's MMO right off the bat.

You know anything can be taken to a level of hardcore. Even legos...

Casual:

Hardcore:

You just have to understand the difference between hardcore and casual is the frame of mind and the will to follow through, rarely ever is it the tools utilized.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• fefedobsonfefedobson Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Not playing this game.  

I don't know why every game company has to go for the broad audience, it's like they think everyone can win by appealing to casuals.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people"

They should have said they were making a children's MMO right off the bat.

Because only children are too busy with work and family they don't have 10 hours per day to spend grinding for gear.

As adults we can spend as much time playing as we want; forget working....give me a laptop and free McDonalds wi-fi and I'm good to go.....all i need is a box in the alley and an extension cord running from the bakery to charge my laptop during my 2 hour power nap. It may take me 3 months of grinding to build my set or epic armor, but who cares? I got plenty of time, and no actual life to speak of.... xD

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I don't think we're ever going to see a AAA mmo that doesn't focus on making the game accessible to as many people as possible for max profits.  Things like Kickstarter are the only way we will really get the mmo's some of us are looking for, because in reality for every person that doesn't want quest markers or would want corpse runs there would be 5-10 teenagers they would lose out on money from who couldn't handle that gampelay element.
  • FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Margulis
    I don't think we're ever going to see a AAA mmo that doesn't focus on making the game accessible to as many people as possible for max profits.  Things like Kickstarter are the only way we will really get the mmo's some of us are looking for, because in reality for every person that doesn't want quest markers or would want corpse runs there would be 5-10 teenagers they would lose out on money from who couldn't handle that gampelay element.

I wouldnt say that. You can make a product that caters to kids and  I dont care how many kids are playing it, it will get the same respect as Justin Bieber. So if they want to create Bieberquest thats fine, just dont expect gamers over 20 who have any self respect to jump on the boat just because its a commercial product. I think most of us are not totally against commercial products. But even in the gaming world we need to be in adult land from time to time. We want to feel like our toon  has to fight to survive. Not a a pep rally for Selena Gomez. 

• Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Fratman
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

Of course it won't be hardcore. Hardcore implies Darkfall or EVE or something. I don't want that, either.

Originally posted by Fratman
    It's going to be on the PS4, so we already knew it can't be hardcore. Console and hardcore mmo don't even belong in the same sentence.

Have you played any of the Souls games?

Are they mmos? No, I haven't.

They are not MMOS but they are more hardcore than any MMO out there difficulty wise and very popular.

I have...and I love them..

Now someone steer away from this childish wussy garbage and make one an MMO.

THAT would be...the end of my face!  Melted.  A Dark Souls MMO...that's just sick and twisted and I love the idea.  Never happen, but I can dream.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Exactly the reason why this game will fail so hard. Too easy, I mean accessible = boring. This might just be like Free Realms difficulty.
  • VentlusVentlus Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Faelsun
    Originally posted by Margulis

I wouldnt say that. You can make a product that caters to kids and  I dont care how many kids are playing it, it will get the same respect as Justin Bieber. So if they want to create Bieberquest thats fine, just dont expect gamers over 20 who have any self respect to jump on the boat just because its a commercial product. I think most of us are not totally against commercial products. But even in the gaming world we need to be in adult land from time to time. We want to feel like our toon  has to fight to survive. Not a a pep rally for Selena Gomez. 

what? okay, man people really deluding why people are term'ed casual. Its because of how much time they either put or can put into the game. Not everyone has millions of hours, and respectable mmo that will come out will attempt to cater to everyone. For instance wildstar is gonna be able to played by everyone. People act like a game has to be hardcore only, or just the people posting on forums just need to whine about how games need to cater to only the hardcore, over casual which is probably more likely. 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Biskop

Yeah, shame on SOE for wanting a commercially viable product! After all, they do have a responsibility to provide "hardcore" nolifers with the game of their dreams.

You know, a game can be "hardcore" (meaning complex, difficult, and rewarding time investment) and yet accesible. For example, the core game mechanics and basic features can be simple and intuitive while high-end content is hard and demanding. A player can then chose which level of difficulty he/she wants to engage.

But I guess some people still think "hardcore" = long grind + harsh death penalties + tedious mechanics that anyone with a life and a job will shun, and if a game does not abide by those 1999 design standards it is to be considered a kid's game and a WoW clone.

Ya, because hardcore games like EQ1 and Eve never have the potential to last a long time...

Casual games, especially without some sort of hardcore elements that keep people playing, will never make it in the long run.  Its been the bane of every game since WoW.