Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this is what GW2 is like..........trinity please.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

I never played Guild Wars 2, but if this is what people are talking about.......TRINITY PLEASE.

People said GW2 was bad, but what the hell is this!

I have never in my life seen such a chaotic faceroll zergfight!

/QQ ~

Comments

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    colision detection and friendly fire ftw.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    That was pretty much my 80 levels of GW2. In most of the MMO's I have played I enjoyed the dungeons the most. Until GW2 came along.
  • leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

This is what will happen when everyone is DPS... I really don't like GW2's group combat mechanics, but I'm also not a fan of the holy trinity too. I honestly can't believe the trinity is the ONLY way to assign different roles in a mmo... I mean, c'mon! A bit creativity won't hurt anyone!

As for EQN, Dave Georgeson replied on twitter that, "If you're not fond of GW2's combat, that's okay. It's not what we're building. You'll see, eventually."

Iet's just hope he's not lying or simply stupid.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by leoo88556

This is what will happen when everyone is DPS... I really don't like GW2's group combat mechanics, but I'm also not a fan of the holy trinity too. I honestly can't believe the trinity is the ONLY way to assign different roles in a mmo... I mean, c'mon! A bit creativity won't hurt anyone!

As for EQN, Dave Georgeson replied on twitter that, "If you're not fond of GW2's combat, that's okay. It's not what we're building. You'll see, eventually."

Iet's just hope he's not lying or simply stupid.

Who to trust....

The Boss of a mutli million dollar design team of amazingly skills artists, designers and programmers or a bunch of forum (and basement) dwellers on this forum...hummm that is a tough one.

Not sure which to put my money on for being more stupid :)

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    This is what happens when MMO design is done by the marketing department.  We get soulless easy mode games.  We should mourn for the death of the MMO genre.  Everything is being made for flash and eye candy and  marketing.  Where everyone wins without thought or effort.  EQN is just the newest and easiest of these soulless games.  No leveling, no trinity, no endgame, and no difficulty.  They will promise them everything and they will get nothing except an invitation to help the next game of the month.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

I like your post.

Action gameplay can be done without people ending up zerging.

I will use GW2 as an example since so many people use it to justify why action combat == zerg.

First off, the 'Holy Trinity' of GW2 is SUPPORT/UTILITY/DAMAGE

There are a number of things wrong with GW2's system that has nothing to do with the lack of a generic Holy Trinity:

1. DEFIANT negates one-third of GW2's 'Holy Trinity' (UTILITY via STUNS/INTERRUPTS). This is why meta groups run 4x DAMAGE Warriors and 1x UTILITY Guardian/Mesmer.

2. Overabundance of 'dodge this attack or die' AI skills. If you are going to die in one hit regardless of your build, you should probably just build for DAMAGE.

3. The coupling of insanely high AI health pools along with the fact that the AI use virtually no threatening skills besides those with one-hit-kill mechanics makes DPS the superior choice in fights.

Please, before you all talk about how an action combat system automatically means that it will be a zerg system, let me remind you that it the zerg does not happen because there is no holy trinity (it happens because the game has been designed in a way that allows pure damage groups to dominate the meta).

I would like to do a little mental exercise now if you do not mind.

Take the Holy Trinity from WoW (TANK/DAMAGE/HEALING).

Now, instead of the elaborate encounters the you experience in WoW (that were built around the games Trinity), imagine this to be the replacement:

1. White mobs do 1 damage on normal attacks, and they have a 5% chance to do 50 damage.

2. Boss mobs do 10 damage on normal attacks, and they have a 25% chance to do 1,000,000 damage.

Why would groups need a Healer class?

Why would groups need a Tank class?

If you DPS an enemy down fast enough, the chances are slim that your teammates will receive any damage that would be life threatening. Therefore, the optimal group that you would use for this would be composed ENTIRELY OF DAMAGE ROLES.

Now, in this example, it would be silly to say that the Holy Trinity is bad because it is not needed. The reason that the Holy Trinity is not needed in this example is because the GAME MECHANICS DO NOT SUPPORT THE TRINITY THAT IS IN PLACE.

tl;dr

The reason GW2 action combat results in DPS ZERGING everything is not because GW2 lacks the Holy Trinity, but because ArenaNet have failed at designing game mechanics built around the 'Holy Trinity' (SUPPORT/UTILITY/DAMAGE ) that GW2 utilizes.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    colision detection and friendly fire ftw.

+1

That made SB very interesting when your town was baned.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Zapzap
    This is what happens when MMO design is done by the marketing department.  We get soulless easy mode games.  We should mourn for the death of the MMO genre.  Everything is being made for flash and eye candy and  marketing.  Where everyone wins without thought or effort.  EQN is just the newest and easiest of these soulless games.  No leveling, no trinity, no endgame, and no difficulty.  They will promise them everything and they will get nothing except an invitation to help the next game of the month.

Point in case...

How the hell do you come to that assumption based on the information currently available?

Answer : You are making stuff up because you are a typical moaning, clueless forum dweller who thinks that they have the first clue on how to design games.

This discussion has been closed.