Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great Video showcasing just how flexible character builds can be

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

This is the first time I've seen this video so hopefully it wasn't already posted in the past, but I found it to be an excellent video really explaining/discussing just how this game excels in all of the potential options for character builds. It really got me thinking about some combinations of race, class, skill, armor, ability, stat points etc that I might want to try to do something new that I didn't do in Skyrim (so far lol). There are a couple of things within that I didn't know about, so enjoy if the topic is something you are interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxWEh-4FBg#at=1425

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

The builds in ESO are going to be extremely flexible.  Our guild is already theory-crafting some for AvA based on the leaked skill sets from Beta.

That said, as always happens with "classless" games, some builds are going to be far better than others, especially for PvP.  But the great thing is, it should be be easy to respec for the FoTM, without having to abandon your class.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    I am not a fan of everyone gets to do everything.  It always ends up the same way.  A couple good specs with little to no variation, and literally everyone uses them, because they have to. 
  • Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69
    I am not a fan of everyone gets to do everything.  It always ends up the same way.  A couple good specs with little to no variation, and literally everyone uses them, because they have to. 

It's an Elder scrolls thing. It's more realistic in my opinion. I never really understood why game developers started to use a class system. Skill based systems to me make so much more sense anyway.

As for your claims on it always ending up the same way, are you from the future? o.o I think we have a time traveler here. The next John Titor possibly? or maybe ....? A troll?

I am going to go with a troll. Makes the most sense.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by keithian

This is the first time I've seen this video so hopefully it wasn't already posted in the past, but I found it to be an excellent video really explaining/discussing just how this game excels in all of the potential options for character builds. It really got me thinking about some combinations of race, class, skill, armor, ability, stat points etc that I might want to try to do something new that I didn't do in Skyrim (so far lol). There are a couple of things within that I didn't know about, so enjoy if the topic is something you are interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxWEh-4FBg#at=1425

thanks for the share

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The more choice you have the more variation in builds there will be.... The problem here is copy cats, they dont think themselves but copy from others...  Anyway, if done right there is more freedom in building then in any other mmo before..  Its just a matter of ballancing...

what you are saying is, please give the players fewer options, because then the developers can decide what builds there will be..

anyway, with a game like this you will thrive inPvP if your oponent cant peedict your moves, guess what builds he has hardest to predict?  The orriginal builds...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

It's an Elder scrolls thing. It's more realistic in my opinion. I never really understood why game developers started to use a class system. Skill based systems to me make so much more sense anyway.

As for your claims on it always ending up the same way, are you from the future? o.o I think we have a time traveler here. The next John Titor possibly? or maybe ....? A troll?

Because real choices drastically increases variety.

The system ESO and EQnext are taking limit variety greatly.  Choice becomes nothing but an illusion.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

The system ESO and EQnext are taking limit variety greatly.  Choice becomes nothing but an illusion.

*shrugs* Elder Scrolls games have done it this way for a long time and it's worked just fine. As for illusion, I then have to ask, what is real? What is real choice?

I also am still slightly confused on what you even mean by illusion in the first place. Care to explain what makes the choices in ESO an illusion? Are we going to end up talking about philosophy?

*shrugs* Elder Scrolls games have done it this way for a long time and it's worked just fine. As for illusion, I then have to ask, what is real? What is real choice?

I also am still slightly confused on what you even mean by illusion in the first place. Care to explain what makes the choices in ESO an illusion? Are we going to end up talking about philosophy?

He has got no clue what he is talking about, both EQN and TESO changed the moment of choice from the moment of aquiring skills, to the moment of selecting your active (5+1 with TESO x 2 weapons)   There is just as much choices to be made on a strategical level, only the moment is different...  

On top of that, it might take ages before you master all skilltrees in TESO so that gives you another meaningfull moment of choice during your lveling process

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

I played The Secret world a while back, and one things I noticed pretty quick was that damn near every single person with good gear all carried a Rifle and used the same abilities.  You go into PvP and there were rifles everywhere!
    I played The Secret world a while back, and one things I noticed pretty quick was that damn near every single person with good gear all carried a Rifle and used the same abilities.  You go into PvP and there were rifles everywhere!

This is not TSW, TSW is an excample of a wrong system, few skills with cooldowns...  there are no cooldowns in TESO, and exactly that prevents the problems we saw in TSW, as there will not be rotations in this game... people can actually choose what things they want, almost every skill combines with all the other skills depending on what you can do, where in TSW people had to choose a group of certain skills that fit well together..

Seems you still have problems imagining how different the system of TESO is from what you where used to. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

He has got no clue what he is talking about, both EQN and TESO changed the moment of choice from the moment of aquiring skills, to the moment of selecting your active (5+1 with TESO x 2 weapons)   There is just as much choices to be made on a strategical level, only the moment is different...  

On top of that, it might take ages before you master all skilltrees in TESO so that gives you another meaningfull moment of choice during your lveling process

Agreed and I doubt he even watched the video, because it contradicts him with facts, not opinion with no reality attached to it.

There Is Always Hope!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I'd be more interested in the customization of the graphic models for each race.

I've seen some really good demo's for other games, but ESO seems to have low level customization, with regard to character appearance. (or par with SWTOR - big sliders that don't mean squat because you can only select a few values in the slider - slider bar moved in chunks)

The appearance customization videos I saw for ESO were quite bad.  IMO appearance means more right now than builds, because people can feel appearance before they play, but they can't feel builds yet (only read about them). /shrug

You are skipping to level 2 without completing level 1 ...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by keithian

Agreed and I doubt he even watched the video, because it contradicts him with facts, not opinion with no reality attached to it.

While I hope the game is great I didn't see any facts in that video just a guy interviewing another guy making assumptions about what's in the game.

Until closed beta goes open we wont know facts and even then they will change or morph.

Originally posted by Karteli

I'd be more interested in the customization of the graphic models for each race.

I've seen some really good demo's for other games, but ESO seems to have low level customization, with regard to character appearance. (or par with SWTOR - big sliders that don't mean squat because you can only select a few values in the slider - slider bar moved in chunks)

The appearance customization videos I saw for ESO were quite bad.  IMO appearance means more right now than builds, because people can feel appearance before they play, but they can't feel builds yet (only read about them). /shrug

LOL then you have bad sources because I've seen leaked videos and the customization is quite advanced compared to other recent themepark releases or a couple in beta now that I can't discuss without breaking the NDA. There will be quite a lot of uniqueness from a character build standpoint, not as much as Skyrim, but more than enough.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Not as much as Skyrim you say? That then means definitely less than AoC/Aion/Oblivion High standards...

Hope it'll be customisable enough :)

I'm not sure what you mean. In Skyrim, it was so customizable that I was able to almost make my character look like me lol. I don't remember Aion's system since I stopped at level 12 because I thought the PVE was very bland. I also don't remember AOC even though I played that to level 50 or so and left because I felt detached from the story unlike Lord of the Rings Online. I do remember thinking in AOC that the customization options were excellent, but I don't remember exactly why. What I do know is that after watching a video, you could adjust many things, body shape, head shape, colors, etc without every option being a template and that to me at least it seemed a lot more customizable than many of the other MMOs I played and my initial reaction was thank god lol...but will it be the most customizable one out there for the way the character looks? I honestly have no idea :-) With release at least 7 1/2 months away, a lot can change.

There Is Always Hope!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Karteli

Their CC looked exactly like AOC's to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Maybe it's just me, but Oblivion let you customise far more minute details. I don't remember being able to edit nose on eight different sliders in Skyrim. Plus I remember Bethesda saying that they purposefully simplified character creation because of lore unfriendly things such as blue Argonians, Uruk-Hai(Purple Orcs)/Fel orcs(red Orcs) and so forth.

Now, Skyrim's character creation LOOKS better(because of obvious leap in technology duh!), but Oblivion's is actually more technical. That's what I was referring.

To use MMO example: if it looks like AoC or even Aion(but with less freedom! I don't want Aion monstrosities{google that}), I'll be satisfied. They have to do it imo seeing the heritage of singleplayer TES games...

Well if Distopia is correct you will be a happy camper :-) lol

There Is Always Hope!