Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never felt so alone...

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    pvp just bring whorst type players.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

I feel OP's sentiments -- it does feel lonely in the Open World PvE aspect of the game. In WvW? Completely different. And the community in WvW is more cohesive and social.

But dang, I do want to go out there in PvE and do stuff, but it's too quiet. One solution that I thought of is giving a buff to players who groups up in the open world. With every event done, the buff would stack by 1. And the buff could be an increase to gold find, magic find, karma, etc. Also, someone datamined treasure hunting in the current build -- maybe increase the chances of finding a treasure map when grouped with other players?

I dunno. But I enjoy GW2's WvW, and I agree that Open World PvE is lacking in the social department.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by DrSmaSh

Never felt so alone in a MMO before and yet there are so many players running around me. Sometimes we are even working together, but no one cares to notice anyone around em. I know the pain of having to wait for a group to show up so you can do some dungeon or group quest or a very hard mob. But at least that way you met other players, you interacted with em. If the group was good you'd add em to your friend list and you'd whisper em to do more stuff together. That's how you made new friends online, that's how MMO games were fun.

Sure it sucked you couldn't do it all alone, but what is the point of a game if you can do everything solo? What's the point of multiplayer game if you simply have no need for other players.

I'd much rather put up with the fact that I can't do everything by myself in an mmo so I can meet new people and have social aspect of MMO, rather than being able to solo everything and feel so alone in a multiplayer game.

And that's the main reason why I stopped playing the game. I just felt so disconnected from everyone else. We were all running around doing our own thing, never bothering to say more than a few words (actually, few words out of someone in GW2 is quite a lot).

I'm not attacking the game, it's not bad for what it is, but it's far from Massive Multiplayer, hack, it's not even multiplayer without massive. What do you guys think? Is this the sad and dark future for MMOs? All solo flight, no social interaction, no need for anyone? Even think that's why there is no holy trinity in GW2 in from of tanks, healers and pure DPS - that would actually bring in the need for interaction.

Are the good old days over? I returned to WoW for 10 days and even it seems lonelier with it's random PUG thing, but still way more social than GW2.

I know what you mean. While there are plenty of people in GW2 that will respond if you say something to them, there aren't many people that initiate conversations. Also, the lack of trinity is one of my biggest pet peeves with the game. The game is fun, but I don't think it's as great as everyone says. I've played since launch and the devs are doing a great job of keeping new content rolling out, but I also feel like it's a single player game for the most part.

I understand that this is a new generation of games and gamers, but call me old school, I miss the trinity system. I never thought there was anything wrong with it. In an age of dungeon/group finders there really shouldn't have been any issues finding groups. I would rather have one defined role in a party than have everyone scrambling to fill multiple roles.

That's one of the reasons I'm so excited about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I would recommend the OP check it out also, it sounds like more of what you're looking for.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn.html

After playing in the beta for ARR, I can tell you that it definitely has that "old school" feel with a newer graphics engine. It's a totally different game than when the original FFXIV launched a few years ago. One of the biggest aspects of it is social interaction and grouping. Until next week when the head start begins I'll probably continue to play GW2, but as soon as I can I'm switching to FFXIV:ARR full time as my primary mmo.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by Volkon

Stay away from more archaic MMOs like WoW then where the entire leveling process is solo speed leveling until you're forced to group to proceed through the single lane highway called end game raiding then... it'll drive you nuts. 

Its very stupid not to use the random dungeon finder, it gives fastest exp, teleports you to dungeon, and you get one extra blue item.

They have made the heirlooms so easy to get from the Darkmoon Fairie (you can mail the prizes to alts) or from guild reward, for that 40% extra exp boost 1-85

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Talking to people 101 GW2 style:

Player 1: LFG Fractal lvl 16!

Player 2: LFG Fractal level 21, come on we only need 2 more!

Player 3: LFG Fractal 2, yes, 2! I only started playing yesterday *ding!*

Player 1: Isn't RPing such fun in this game!

<end> /hangs'elf

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

/hangs'elf

LOL so true for this game.  Other than a true single player game this is the most anti-social game I think I have ever tried.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Please join GW2 on peak hours on lions arch you will see all sort of chat on area.  Why in the hell people need to let of of their character controls (this is action combat game, means you dont point/click to move) to get to know your boring, uninteresting hater ass? why cant u engage in conversation then? Why the social ones must be the others not you?

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

/hangs'elf

Sorry, couldn't hear you over TeamSpeak, where most people are. Yeah... that guild thing and all that. 

People forget (or don't seem to realize) that the combat style in GW2 is not something you can do while typing out a conversation. Voice comms are much easier, and most if not all servers have their own dedicated TS server available. (Well, by most, I mean I know JQ and DB do... haven't been on others.) 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Never felt so alone in a MMO before and yet there are so many players running around me. Sometimes we are even working together, but no one cares to notice anyone around em. I know the pain of having to wait for a group to show up so you can do some dungeon or group quest or a very hard mob. But at least that way you met other players, you interacted with em. If the group was good you'd add em to your friend list and you'd whisper em to do more stuff together. That's how you made new friends online, that's how MMO games were fun.

Sure it sucked you couldn't do it all alone, but what is the point of a game if you can do everything solo? What's the point of multiplayer game if you simply have no need for other players.

I'd much rather put up with the fact that I can't do everything by myself in an mmo so I can meet new people and have social aspect of MMO, rather than being able to solo everything and feel so alone in a multiplayer game.

And that's the main reason why I stopped playing the game. I just felt so disconnected from everyone else. We were all running around doing our own thing, never bothering to say more than a few words (actually, few words out of someone in GW2 is quite a lot).

I'm not attacking the game, it's not bad for what it is, but it's far from Massive Multiplayer, hack, it's not even multiplayer without massive. What do you guys think? Is this the sad and dark future for MMOs? All solo flight, no social interaction, no need for anyone? Even think that's why there is no holy trinity in GW2 in from of tanks, healers and pure DPS - that would actually bring in the need for interaction.

Are the good old days over? I returned to WoW for 10 days and even it seems lonelier with it's random PUG thing, but still way more social than GW2.

Unfortunately that is the "Super Casual" experience. Jump in, run around swinging/shooting random stuff for about an hour, and then logging off to go do the dishes.

I too left GW2 for this VERY reason. I would even TRY saying "Hello!", and even sometimes screaming in their faces with my little chat-bubble "DUDE, ARE YOU EVEN PAYING ATTENTION?" when trying to just say hello. I'd normally spend about 5minutes trying to even get them to acknowledge that they're playing an MMO before using caps. I'd lastly resort to tells to get their attention, but would be completely ignored still.

This happend a LOT, and most notably before a chain-event, world boss, etc would be engaged. I'd try to form groups for things, questing, anything in general. An EXTREMELY minor few would ever respond.

This "You can solo everything, without needing anyone" mindset is nonsense, and needs to go. Unfortunately it seems SOE's developers for EQ:N are far far too willing to accept this as the future. We're stuck with them until someone releases an MMO worth playing again.

:(

Ignore all these kids trolling you about your experience. You're not alone, and you're not the only one disappointed.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

The game treats everyone on the server like they are in a big group anyway. What is the incentive to group outside dungeons? Couple that with the action combat and no one has time to type. There is zero class dependence with no trinity so it doesn't matter what class your playing, everyone is dps. The only way your going to have any type of extended socialization in this game is with a third party voice chat program. Worst part is ArenaNet designed Guild Wars 2 to de-emphasize grouping.

You would think a big part of making an MMORPG would be designing it so grouping and social interaction would be a priority but I feel Guild Wars 2 misses that by a mile.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by Volkon

Stay away from more archaic MMOs like WoW then where the entire leveling process is solo speed leveling until you're forced to group to proceed through the single lane highway called end game raiding then... it'll drive you nuts. 

Its very stupid not to use the random dungeon finder, it gives fastest exp, teleports you to dungeon, and you get one extra blue item.

They have made the heirlooms so easy to get from the Darkmoon Fairie (you can mail the prizes to alts) or from guild reward, for that 40% extra exp boost 1-85

How is it stupid to want a social encounter with another living person online in order to achieve a goal in-game? The random dungeon finder is the primary responsible mechanic in regards to this problem. It rewards highly anti-social behavior, and at the same time destroys open-world exploration and integration. 

If you can teleport anywhere at a whim the world becomes pointless and meaningless. You might as well be playing a 100% lobby based instanced game. What's the point??

Easier is not always better, and in this case undermines the game as a whole. It is a BAD thing, and is far from "very stupid" not to use. I hope this trend of super-casual hand-holding goes away with time.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by ThomasN7

/hangs'elf

LOL so true for this game.  Other than a true single player game this is the most anti-social game I think I have ever tried.

This example isnt only applicable to GW2, this is the way every mmorpg is played now unfortunately. Its the antisocial social gaming format.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

This is not a gamers only mentality.
    The whole world is changing around us, the people in your own neighberhood changed, people used to help each other and you had many friends.

Here in the Netherlands everything changed so much past 20 years its like a totaly diffrent country now.
    People walking by when they see a girl or a man knocked down on the ground.
    20 years ago the bully would have been thrown in the trunk and drived to the forest to get his share of beating.

This was the same mmo's.
    Servers were smaller, your reputation ment something.
    People were much more helpfull back in the days, and had alot more patience to learn you a few tricks.

today people check your gear, your spec and if its diffrent of the form you get abused.
    You get kicked, ignored, laughed at, verbaly abused in every sence or way you can imagen.

The days of social gaming are almost over, unless you find a guild with similar kind of people that are nice.
    But those are extremely hard to find also.
    We need to accept that this is how the world looks like.

In gaming and outside the game.
    Only a few nice guys left it seems :)

Originally posted by Mothanos

The whole world is changing around us, the people in your own neighberhood changed, people used to help each other and you had many friends.

Here in the Netherlands everything changed so much past 20 years its like a totaly diffrent country now.
    20 years ago the bully would have been thrown in the trunk and drived to the forest to get his share of beating.

This was the same mmo's.
    People were much more helpfull back in the days, and had alot more patience to learn you a few tricks.

today people check your gear, your spec and if its diffrent of the form you get abused.
    You get kicked, ignored, laughed at, verbaly abused in every sence or way you can imagen.

The days of social gaming are almost over, unless you find a guild with similar kind of people that are nice.

I refuse to accept an absolutely enormous negative change as something that should just be accepted and moved on from. MMO's are better than this, and all it takes is a publisher willing to actually care about their customers and game.

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by Mothanos

This was the same mmo's.

I refuse to accept an absolutely enormous negative change as something that should just be accepted and moved on from. MMO's are better than this, and all it takes is a publisher willing to actually care about their customers and game.

There is no enormous negative change.  If you like to group, then group.  If you don't, then play solo.  I don't understand why giving people more choices is ever a bad thing.  I don't like people who think that they know what is good for everybody and then try to force it upon them without their consent. 

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

In the "oldschool" games you had downtime for mana reg or dex reg. While reging you had planty of time to chat away. This is missing in most MMO's today. A thing I never thought would be good, is now a part I'm missing in the games. The MMO became more and more a "singleplayer game you can rush through with other ppl standing in our way" mentality...

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Originally posted by flizzer

Talk to people?   I have been playing GW2 since launch and I am currently in 3 guilds and find myself constantly talking to people.  Just because you choose to be unsocial why blame it on the game?

Ive met some terrific people just wandering around the world and helping others out.  Not that difficult just saying "Hi". Great conversation opener!

QFT!!!!

The only shortcoming in Gw2's social aspect in my opinion is the lack of built-in VoIP. I find myself at Mumble the whole time I play Gw2 

LOL.

The only problem with GW2's society is that you have to use outside software to enjoy it.  Besides that. it's perfect!

GW2 fanboys should learn the platinum rule, rather than shouting down anyone who can see obvious flaws in the game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by grimfall

Talk to people?   I have been playing GW2 since launch and I am currently in 3 guilds and find myself constantly talking to people.  Just because you choose to be unsocial why blame it on the game?

Ive met some terrific people just wandering around the world and helping others out.  Not that difficult just saying "Hi". Great conversation opener!

QFT!!!!

The only shortcoming in Gw2's social aspect in my opinion is the lack of built-in VoIP. I find myself at Mumble the whole time I play Gw2 

LOL.

The only problem with GW2's society is that you have to use outside software to enjoy it.  Besides that. it's perfect!

GW2 fanboys should learn the platinum rule, rather than shouting down anyone who can see obvious flaws in the game.

What MMO has built in VOIP? Which ones? TERA-NO. TSW-NO. SWTOR-NO. RIFT-NO. WoW-NO. LOTRO-NO. AION-NO. Should I go on?

• Fish_TacosFish_Tacos Member UncommonPosts: 45

I've seen quite a few of these threads and I can understand why people feel this way. Before I committed to staying in the game, I had a similar feeling of being alone in a world of strangers. And combat doesn't allow for much typing. I made it to level 30 and quit for a while. A few months later, I came back to test the waters again. Through playing alone and crafting 20 levels to 70, I finally decided to stick with GW2 and join an active guild. That made all the difference.

I like having the option to do my own thing (e.g., world completion, crafting, etc.) or jumping into guild events which happen almost every evening. Also, there are always people on to group with. 

GW2 offers the option to play how I want to. I understand the attraction of old-style games and forced grouping and I suppose that can be a great thing for some people. I just think (for whatever reasons, I think discussing it in more detail is beyond the scope of this thread) those days are for the most part over.

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    It could also be a stage in your life that you're going through. I went through a stage similar to this when I started playing LOTRO. I felt disconnected and found it really difficult to hook up with ppl..and I'm like VERY talkative in zone to the point of annoyance..:P..It passed though.

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454

It feels kinda good to know I'm not alone in this. Many people actually nailed it the way I feel - single player games are single player games. I enjoy em, I like to play em, but I also like to play multi player games. And MMORPGs used to be the crown of that, but lately they keep on turning em in to SP experiences. Why? It's MM(O) for god's sake. Call me old school, but I think that you are not supposed to do everything by yourself. Sure it sounds good on paper "Oh, but you can solo from 1-70 all by yourself" until you stop and think about it - but, it's suppose to be multi player? Sure, you can do it in a group, but in a game that is designed around solo player in mind, group play seems like a hassle.

Today I played some more WoW on my 10 day trial thingy. I was tanking in a dungeon and healer and mage were full on mana all the time. Even on boss fights and large mob pulls. (not to mention that tanking takes about 0 effort). Why do Devs do that? Is this really what we want? Is it fun for anyone to just randomly mash buttons and get instant success?

And I'll keep my eye out on Final Fantasy. Never played any FF game so not sure what to expect.

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...
  • lazerlike42lazerlike42 Member Posts: 11
    I wanted to jump in here and respond to those saying, "join a guild" and, "talk to people!" I'm also a person who sees the potential fun there is to be had in this game but ultimately has it spoiled by a sense of isolation.

Yes, of course, joining a guild helps this kind of thing, but I've found even joining a guild very difficult in GW2. In TOR, for example, people join guilds because they meet people in the everyday game experience. The server communities feel social. People are always talking in chat - always. You see the same names in warzones and get to know them. While leveling you group with folks and form connections. At end game people regularly request "LF tank" or "need 2 dps" for such and such a raid, and the unguilded find homes that way.

In GW2 the chat is always dead - always. You never group with folks leveling, so making connections there is rare. Pvp is regional, so you rarely see the same person repeatedly or get to know anyone.

Basically, I feel like in TOR, as an example, you can join guilds of people youll have fun with because you meet them and then join because you like them or because they are skilled, kindof like how you make friends or associates in life. In GW2 I feel like the only option is to join a random guild from a recruiting site or ask for a guild in chat.

The problem here is of course that this affords no way to know if the guild will be a match for you or even any good. Moreover, and this may sound harsh, most often guilds which post in forums to recruit or reply to folks in chat are not really that good or are even bad, from a skill perspective.

I know that this may sound elitist, but it is an important factor. Maybe its just me as I come from some very highly competetive guilds in TOR, but a huge factor for me in enjoying the guild experience is not being frustrated with the performance of your mates.

In any case, the long and the short of it is that I too feel very lonely when trying to play this game, which is a shame as I'd like to give it a fair chance but its very difficult to do with the way community seems to work in it.
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Unfortunately that is the "Super Casual" experience. Jump in, run around swinging/shooting random stuff for about an hour, and then logging off to go do the dishes.

I too left GW2 for this VERY reason. I would even TRY saying "Hello!", and even sometimes screaming in their faces with my little chat-bubble "DUDE, ARE YOU EVEN PAYING ATTENTION?" when trying to just say hello. I'd normally spend about 5minutes trying to even get them to acknowledge that they're playing an MMO before using caps. I'd lastly resort to tells to get their attention, but would be completely ignored still.

This happend a LOT, and most notably before a chain-event, world boss, etc would be engaged. I'd try to form groups for things, questing, anything in general. An EXTREMELY minor few would ever respond.

This "You can solo everything, without needing anyone" mindset is nonsense, and needs to go. Unfortunately it seems SOE's developers for EQ:N are far far too willing to accept this as the future. We're stuck with them until someone releases an MMO worth playing again.

:(

Ignore all these kids trolling you about your experience. You're not alone, and you're not the only one disappointed.

I love saying "piss off loser" to people capsing at my face :) And this is the only reason i regret there is no open world pvp, the capsing aholes. Although I've found a solution. I just click on my Guild/Party chat tab, which i've filtered for only private messages and the corresponding chat messages. :P 

If you want my attention, try walking arund with me. I dont mind if u kill my mobs, there is no kill steal in Gw2. We both would benefit even outside of party so I don't mind and I'll eventually add you to party with me. But capsing in my face is sooo not the way. Chances are, I'll decide to troll you by not answering, or well, ask you if you even lift. XD

On topic though ... its extremely easy to make a guild in Gw2 (even i have one for bank space) and with that in mind chances are you will mostly end up in crappy guilds. So i'd suggest you to observe the server you are playing in until you make up your mind. Nobody will ask for your gear if you ask for guild invitation. Nobody cares about your gear in Gw2. 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by grimfall

QFT!!!!

LOL.

What MMO has built in VOIP? Which ones? TERA-NO. TSW-NO. SWTOR-NO. RIFT-NO. WoW-NO. LOTRO-NO. AION-NO. Should I go on?

Doesn't DDO have it?

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Every Cryptic Studios game does as well. Let's not rename the white into black. There are games that offer built-in VoIP. IMO as a player who loves playing Gw2 every free second he gets, i find the lack of built-in voip disturbing because of the game mechanics. But the guild's mumble is alright, although unless u have a good guild, you will make blind threads like our OP here, stating blind opinions. Oh well, I doubt we can change anyone's mind about Gw2 by now. You burned yourself up without even trying the sweetest part. I pity you :)