Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 is not a themepark or sandbox, so what is it?

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    No need to convolute the genre with so many obscure sub genres. GW2 is a themepark mmo. If you have a hard time grasping that fact then you probably need to stop thinking themepark = bad and sandbox = good.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Originally posted by Iadien
    It's a themepark, it's not even remotely close to a sandbox.

I would paste you the title few more times if you want but let me break it down for you 

Guild Wars 2 - The name of the game

Is not a themepark - Not in the traditional sense

or sandbox - The title clearly states at exactly this point that the game (e.g. Guild Wars 2) is not sandbox and is not considered one.

, so wat is it - The OP is asking what the players think it is since according to him it is NOT a themepark neither it is a sandbox

With that being said, your post is completely and utterly unnecessary

Actually, ladien's post closes the thread.  GW2 is clearly a theme-park, there is no room for debate or discussion on this point and the rest of the posts in here are pretty much off topic chatter.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151
    I think it is still a thempark. Instead of having a quest hub with 5 questgivers with ! over their heads and 20 quests...you have 1 quest giver with a heart instead. Same concept, just less filler. It is still level based, so you are following the tracks, there are just multiple options at lower levels. Plus you down-level according to the heart area. Still a themepark, just themepark 2.0 or 2013, whichever you prefer.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I would paste you the title few more times if you want but let me break it down for you 

or sandbox - The title clearly states at exactly this point that the game (e.g. Guild Wars 2) is not sandbox and is not considered one.

, so wat is it - The OP is asking what the players think it is since according to him it is NOT a themepark neither it is a sandbox

Actually, ladien's post closes the thread.  GW2 is clearly a theme-park, there is no room for debate or discussion on this point and the rest of the posts in here are pretty much off topic chatter.

You're right, it's definitely a theme park. I think the idea though is to get beyond the stigma of all theme parks being railed, gated paths to endgame. That's why I think "free range theme park" is appropriate compared to the "gated theme park" design of a lot of other theme park MMOs. 

Yes it's a theme park. No, it's not like "those guys". 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Agree.

Just because GW2 change a few features and make them work more fluid don't need to redefine the whole fabric of the universe >.<

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

Short answer - GW2 is still very much a themepark. 

Long answer - Unless by themepark you mean linear gameplay, and by sandbox you mean slightly less linear gameplay.

GW2 is quite linear, and does hold your hand to some extent, with its areas having level requirements and the hearts being what most people do, while doing dynamic events as they move between hearts (which aren't really that dynamic, just timed events.)

Sandbox to me means freedom of how to progress your character and play the game. Just because GW2 doesn't have traditional quest hubs doesn't mean it's not a themepark (I consider heart quests a form of quest hub)

Yes, you can level through WvW or just not level and PvP, but most themepark games allow you PvP from the getgo or level through PvP, but we don't consider these anything other than themeparks (I'm looking at you WoW)

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

GW2 is about the loneliest MMO I have ever played.  Just seems empty and dead,  almost never any chat outside of the major city and then that is mostly trade spam.

Too many villages for any of them to be memorable.

Pretty sure you are on some low populated server. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Malacth

Long answer - Unless by themepark you mean linear gameplay, and by sandbox you mean slightly less linear gameplay.

GW2 is quite linear, and does hold your hand to some extent, with its areas having level requirements and the hearts being what most people do, while doing dynamic events as they move between hearts (which aren't really that dynamic, just timed events.)

Sandbox to me means freedom of how to progress your character and play the game. Just because GW2 doesn't have traditional quest hubs doesn't mean it's not a themepark (I consider heart quests a form of quest hub)

Yes, you can level through WvW or just not level and PvP, but most themepark games allow you PvP from the getgo or level through PvP, but we don't consider these anything other than themeparks (I'm looking at you WoW)

Just a quick FYI... hearts alone don't give nearly enough experience (by design) to level up through the zones. It's unfortunate they were added because people needed initially to have their hands held (thanks quest hub MMOs... image ), but at least we won't be seeing new ones added to the game as we go along. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Volkon

Just a quick FYI... hearts alone don't give nearly enough experience (by design) to level up through the zones. It's unfortunate they were added because people needed initially to have their hands held (thanks quest hub MMOs... image ), but at least we won't be seeing new ones added to the game as we go along. 

I thought they were added to guide people between dynamic events? Otherwise people would be running around missing them all the time, the paths between hearts are usually were the dynamic events are.

Also, have ArenaNet actually stated they won't be adding more hearts? If so, thats great! The game would have been so much fun without hearts (and without PoI's/Vistas showing on the map) exploration would actually be more fun that way!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think a more realistic point would be themeparks in general are evolving. Most new themeparks are offering more variety of things to do than before. Personally, I feel that if you add enough types of "rides" to a themepark it can become a sandbox. I'm not saying more of the same ride, mind you. I'm talking about new ways to approach the game when you log in.

Now if I were a GW2 dev, Id say I was playing the best sandbox ever. I get to create permanent storylines every couple weeks. I get to coordinate pvp with esport tournaments. I get to control the economy with the cash shop. I get create new items like kites and additions to cities. But all those things, unfortunately, are just constant reminders to players that they are little more than onlookers.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I think a more realistic point would be themeparks in general are evolving. Most new themeparks are offering more variety of things to do than before. Personally, I feel that if you add enough types of "rides" to a themepark it can become a sandbox. I'm not saying more of the same ride, mind you. I'm talking about new ways to approach the game when you log in.

Now if I were a GW2 dev, Id say I was playing the best sandbox ever. I get to create permanent storylines every couple weeks. I get to coordinate pvp with esport tournaments. I get to control the economy with the cash shop. I get create new items like kites and additions to cities. But all those things, unfortunately, are just constant reminders to players that they are little more than onlookers.

No, you aren't an onlooker.

You are a player.

People want to become directors and game creators when they mention sandboxes.

Different roles.

An analogy.

Some people want an empty book where they can write a few lines or pages and then someone else write a bit more and so on.

But many just want to read a book with a beginning and an ending.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

You are a player.

Different roles.

An analogy.

Some people want an empty book where they can write a few lines or pages and then someone else write a bit more and so on.

GH - very apropo post - I totally agree with it.

The problem with players writing the book is you end up with stuff like, "Snakes on a Plane'.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Volkon

I thought they were added to guide people between dynamic events? Otherwise people would be running around missing them all the time, the paths between hearts are usually were the dynamic events are.

Also, have ArenaNet actually stated they won't be adding more hearts? If so, thats great! The game would have been so much fun without hearts (and without PoI's/Vistas showing on the map) exploration would actually be more fun that way!

They were added for both reasons. To help transition people off quest-hub MMOs (because players need more direction), and to help guide newer players towards areas where events are happening.

They have also said that they aren't adding more hearts, and they also aren't needed.

One of THE most common misconceptions about GW2 is that you need to follow the hearts to advance through the game. This is where a majority of the claims that 'GW2 just has the same old questing' comes from. Unless you are going for 100% map completion (or a legendary), there is absolutely no need to do hearts at all.

Early on, hearts do give decent EXP, so there is that incentive, however GW2 offers FAR more choices for lvling than any other MMO I can think of. You can do hearts, you can explore, you can gather, you can craft, you can do WvW, you can do your personal story, you can do dungeons, you can hunt for events. All of which give you substantial exp.

At no point are you forced to choose any one of those methods of lvling over the others. They are only optional. The only restrictions is via what you can handle at your lvl (you are welcome to go and try the higher lvl zones, but you will mostly get wrecked). However, even at the lower levels, you have multiple (5) zones to choose from, and this continues all the way to 80.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by botrytis

You are a player.

Different roles.

An analogy.

The problem with players writing the book is you end up with stuff like, "Snakes on a Plane'.

Actually you end up w/ stuff that's much, much worse.

While I absolutely enjoy community-generated content, it definitely comes at a price (one which most people seem to have forgotten about, or never knew). Especially true in an MMO setting, you not only have to deal with 'snakes on a plane', but you have to deal w/ people that can't make interesting content, but try hard to anyway (and don't know they are bad at it). Even worse, you deal with people who inject their bad story onto yours. (Hey! who slipped 'snakes on a plane' into my 'shawshank redemption'?)

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter Originally posted by Foomerang I think a more realistic point would be themeparks in general are evolving. Most new themeparks are offering more variety of things to do than before. Personally, I feel that if you add enough types of "rides" to a themepark it can become a sandbox. I'm not saying more of the same ride, mind you. I'm talking about new ways to approach the game when you log in. Now if I were a GW2 dev, Id say I was playing the best sandbox ever. I get to create permanent storylines every couple weeks. I get to coordinate pvp with esport tournaments. I get to control the economy with the cash shop. I get create new items like kites and additions to cities. But all those things, unfortunately, are just constant reminders to players that they are little more than onlookers.
    No, you aren't an onlooker. You are a player. People want to become directors and game creators when they mention sandboxes. Different roles. An analogy. Some people want an empty book where they can write a few lines or pages and then someone else write a bit more and so on. But many just want to read a book with a beginning and an ending.

Ok so in GW2 you guys just had an election, right? What was it, two npcs offering various perks and conveniences or something like that? You guys got to choose which one won and then reap those benefits. Pretty cool feature.

Now in SWG, players could choose to be a politician. They could run for mayor of player made cities. The citizens of those cities (other players) voted other player into office. Mayors could literally shape the city from the ground up. Placing monuments, setting tax rates, pushing the city into a more militaristic state or a crafting focused community. They could employ other players as officers who could enforce city bans. And Im just scratching the surface.

These are the differences Im talking about.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Originally posted by Foomerang I think a more realistic point would be themeparks in general are evolving. Most new themeparks are offering more variety of things to do than before. Personally, I feel that if you add enough types of "rides" to a themepark it can become a sandbox. I'm not saying more of the same ride, mind you. I'm talking about new ways to approach the game when you log in. Now if I were a GW2 dev, Id say I was playing the best sandbox ever. I get to create permanent storylines every couple weeks. I get to coordinate pvp with esport tournaments. I get to control the economy with the cash shop. I get create new items like kites and additions to cities. But all those things, unfortunately, are just constant reminders to players that they are little more than onlookers.
    No, you aren't an onlooker. You are a player. People want to become directors and game creators when they mention sandboxes. Different roles. An analogy. Some people want an empty book where they can write a few lines or pages and then someone else write a bit more and so on. But many just want to read a book with a beginning and an ending.

Ok so in GW2 you guys just had an election, right? What was it, two npcs offering various perks and conveniences or something like that? You guys got to choose which one won and then reap those benefits. Pretty cool feature.

Now in SWG, players could choose to be a politician. They could run for mayor of player made cities. The citizens of those cities (other players) voted other player into office. Mayors could literally shape the city from the ground up. Placing monuments, setting tax rates, pushing the city into a more militaristic state or a crafting focused community. They could employ other players as officers who could enforce city bans. And Im just scratching the surface.

These are the differences Im talking about.

I understand that, but how many people actually reach that level?

How many hours do they have to sink in it?

How many thousand of players have no influence in the MMO world for each that actually has?

Sure it is cool, but for many people it makes no difference if it is a player deciding or a developer deciding.

Sandbox vs themepark seems more of hobby (person that plays ONE game that is his/her hobby) vs game (person that play SEVERAL games as its hobby).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Well for me the only term I can think of to classify this kind of gameplay is freepark.

Themepark gameplay is to follow the  quest hub from A to B till the end and raid till you are blue in the face while sandbox is more  free play.

GW2 you are not forced to follow A to B to C in the manner you have to in a themepark game but yet you cant roam the world how you see fit.

GW2 falls in the middle of these to gameplays  in my opinion, so is freepark a new genre being born in your opinion?

The game, at launch, was closer to the mid-point between the two extremes when it launched than most theme park MMOs have ever been. The problem now with the game is that the majority of new content produced this year has been very to extremely themepark, while ANet seems to have abandoned the evolution of the Dynamic Events across the game world almost entirely.

The current Queen's Jubilee content is the most extreme theme park content the game has seen to date and given how proud some of the devs seem to be over it, sadly I think we can expect a lot more of the same in the year ahead.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    [mod edit]

Would you like to come and try Orr or Southsun Cove if you think it is such a noob walk in the park? I don't think you could handle it as you would need you 10 skill bars or your plant and use mechanics or you would need a healer since you are used to the Trinity.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by botrytis Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter Originally posted by Foomerang I think a more realistic point would be themeparks in general are evolving. Most new themeparks are offering more variety of things to do than before. Personally, I feel that if you add enough types of "rides" to a themepark it can become a sandbox. I'm not saying more of the same ride, mind you. I'm talking about new ways to approach the game when you log in. Now if I were a GW2 dev, Id say I was playing the best sandbox ever. I get to create permanent storylines every couple weeks. I get to coordinate pvp with esport tournaments. I get to control the economy with the cash shop. I get create new items like kites and additions to cities. But all those things, unfortunately, are just constant reminders to players that they are little more than onlookers.
    GH - very apropo post - I totally agree with it.     The problem with players writing the book is you end up with stuff like, "Snakes on a Plane'.
      Ok so in GW2 you guys just had an election, right? What was it, two npcs offering various perks and conveniences or something like that? You guys got to choose which one won and then reap those benefits. Pretty cool feature. Now in SWG, players could choose to be a politician. They could run for mayor of player made cities. The citizens of those cities (other players) voted other player into office. Mayors could literally shape the city from the ground up. Placing monuments, setting tax rates, pushing the city into a more militaristic state or a crafting focused community. They could employ other players as officers who could enforce city bans. And Im just scratching the surface. These are the differences Im talking about.
    I understand that, but how many people actually reach that level?

How many hours do they have to sink in it?

How many thousand of players have no influence in the MMO world for each that actually has?

Sure it is cool, but for many people it makes no difference if it is a player deciding or a developer deciding.

Sandbox vs themepark seems more of hobby (person that plays ONE game that is his/her hobby) vs game (person that play SEVERAL games as its hobby).

Im not disagreeing with you on your points. Im just saying the points I raised are what constitutes a more sandboxy game. Whether people want to or not, or have the time or whatever doesnt make it less true. For each of your questions you raised, you could go either way. How many hours? Sometimes a lot, sometimes less. How many thousands of players have no influence vs how many thousands who do. Sure to people it makes no diference, but it also does to many people. I play several games and enjoy sandbox elements over themepark.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by Suraknar
    It is a Themepark- RvR game for me.

Same for me.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    It is not sandbox, it is not themepark, how about "noobfeeder" then? a new genre that helps noobs walk in the park?

Would you like to come and try Orr or Southsun Cove if you think it is such a noob walk in the park? I don't think you could handle it as you would need you 10 skill bars or your plant and use mechanics or you would need a healer since you are used to the Trinity.

Like we don't have self healing dps class in trinity based mmorpg that can do all. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    I think GW2 is a themeboxpark. Park isn't always obvious but in some areas of the game there's park and some areas in the game there's box.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Massively single player online game.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    I think GW2 is a themeboxpark. Park isn't always obvious but in some areas of the game there's park and some areas in the game there's box.

How about a themesandpark?

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Its a themepark. There's not a single sandbox element so wasted thread.

Steam: Neph