Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] TERA: Rising: Three-Faction PVP Comes to TERA

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

TERA is getting ready for an exciting political overhaul in the forthcoming Rising Alliance update that will see Vanarchs give way to continent-ruling Exarchs and alliances battling for control of a new resource. We chatted with Producer Patrick Sun about Rising Alliance. Find out more before heading to the comments with your thoughts.

MMORPG:  What exactly is the Exarch political system then?  

Patrick Sun: The old Vanarch system largely relied on player voting. While that’s good for our democratic system, in an action-based game you want combat to do the talking, or voting, in this case. In Alliance, there will be multiple ways to earn Contribution Points such as invading enemy alliance territories, stealing their Noctenium extractors, or just plain PVP against enemy alliance members. 

New quests and dungeons also come into play, which expand the Alliance content to more than just PvP. The guild that ends up with the most Contribution Points at the end of the election cycle will have their guild leader crowned as the Exarch of the entire alliance.

Read more of Bill Murphy's TERA: Rising - Three-Faction PVP Comes to TERA.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Sounds good, been following it on some KTERA livestreams, looks interesting, and definatly a much needed addition to TERA.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    if they can pace this so it isn't like gw2 (every minute of every hour of every day)they re probably on to something!once or twice a week is fine but more then that and it is too much !once a week is perfect you let player vote witch day they want for the next week and use that day
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Factions are nice but I need the Jabba the Hut raid as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6KiKSvjgjk

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I like what i read.

Lets see if i still like when implemented  :)

• Vion1xVion1x Member Posts: 188
    I want to decide who my friends and foes are!
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Again, we have an example where they have just enough creativity to consider why 3 factions in pvp breaks the boring 2 faction stalemate.  Unlike a creative mmorpg (ala Dark Age of Camelot), they are ignoring that it's more than 3 factions that makes this RPG worthy.  It's the different races, religions, classes, and so forth that make the three factions truly three DIFFERENT places to immerse yourself in mmorpg lore.

Secondly, you can hop between factions on cool downs and registration fees.  So I call this yet another cosmetic improvement and nothing lore founded or in depth. 

Thirdly, they added "The Vaults."  Anyone who played DAoC will recognize this same Darkness Falls getup.  However again, you are killing your own races and classes to get in here - lore breaking crap that appeals to an uneducated audience or indifferent audience but not to the type of people that really enjoyed 3 realm mmorpg pvp.

Tera is on the right track, but still far behind the 2001 release of a true 3 realm masterpiece.  Sad state of the genre.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Tera is awesome fun ^^

Not really my setting, the fantasy fluffy puffy style, but the combat system, the skills, the perks and bits, the knowledge curve, the progression system .. so far, best fun in a themepark i had at all, closely followed by SWTOR, but they go down, Tera goes up.

Lets hope, Gameforge Europe wont fuck it up for us on this side of the water, the EU servers seem to do bad compared to the US ones, what we read ..

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Sounds like a nice improvement, BUT this gamer won't be playing it again. The animation lock on some of the combat skills where the character has to stop to perform an ability is too frustrating for me. I need action combat more like GW2.... IF they changed how combat performed I would give it another go.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Really looking forward to the Alliance update, its all on paper at the moment but if it adds some meaningful conflict and metagame as it is trying to do then its got to be a good thing for longevity of the game.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Total pve game...they have made pvp so freaking care bear its pathetic.  You know it's bad when a mod from mmorpg is even calling them out...that was funny as hell!!

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Been waiting since launch for features like this to come to the game.
  • AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149

@NobleNerd

I'm extremely happy it doesnt play like GW2. Unlike GW2, Tera has a tactical approach and smart boss ai. In GW2 which I like to play for a change every fight feels the same after a while.

Personally I like that you get rooted/slowered at some mighty attacks, it gives you a better feeling of something "big" and you have to act more tactical as well as observing plus studying the enemy attacks carefully. That's why endgame boss fights are challenging and exciting in Tera, you actually have to think more what skill you are using in which situation (plus you have more options at the same time). 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Definitely bringing out my old chars and dusting them off for this.
  • caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Comaf

Again, we have an example where they have just enough creativity to consider why 3 factions in pvp breaks the boring 2 faction stalemate.  Unlike a creative mmorpg (ala Dark Age of Camelot), they are ignoring that it's more than 3 factions that makes this RPG worthy.  It's the different races, religions, classes, and so forth that make the three factions truly three DIFFERENT places to immerse yourself in mmorpg lore.

Secondly, you can hop between factions on cool downs and registration fees.  So I call this yet another cosmetic improvement and nothing lore founded or in depth. 

Thirdly, they added "The Vaults."  Anyone who played DAoC will recognize this same Darkness Falls getup.  However again, you are killing your own races and classes to get in here - lore breaking crap that appeals to an uneducated audience or indifferent audience but not to the type of people that really enjoyed 3 realm mmorpg pvp.

Tera is on the right track, but still far behind the 2001 release of a true 3 realm masterpiece.  Sad state of the genre.

Couldn't have said it better.

While reading replies, I was just thinking about one of the details that made DAOC great was the fact you couldn't just switch realms and servers at will.

GW2 also tries the 3 realm thing (in a way) but your fighting people just like you. Makes it kind of hard to dislike fellow Asura Mesmers the same way I hated Hib Chanters on my Alb Sorc.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

I can't help but wonder, are the devs playing the same games we are?

How can they miss things so vital and important?

They want to take an idea from another game but they don't do the research to figure out WHY it ACTUALLY WORKED!

Originally posted by Mannish
    Been waiting since launch for features like this to come to the game.

Yep, If these features had been in game at launch I'm sure TERA would have done a whole lot better than it did. The servers will be buzzing when this content hits.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

three faction pvp (if done right) can be a pretty nice feature. However, there are a lot of smaller features missing in Tera that are more important than this and they dont seem to care about them.

i.e:  More dungeons for each level bracket (only one per bracket is absurd), dynamic PvE content to reduce the horrible grind and actually give make leveling fun for those of us who enjoy open world PvE content and dont care about rushing to lvl cap. More weapon variety per class with new skills. New classes. Underwater content (it sucks to have such nice oceans and only be able to "float" above them. Most of these are more important that 3 faction pvp because they make the main world (the PvE open world) more fun, except the dungeons cos that just adds variety to instances.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    100% agree, Daoc 3 realm rvr  was huge because of realm pride and because you had your own lands to defend. This is why GW2 WvW fails, who cares if someone takes Durios or anything else? The next rotation it won't be yours anymore anyway, you were just borrowing it. You did not really care about losing it, there was no pride in it. This is what made Daoc special.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

The story got my attention.The cross realming is one of the worst decisions they could make.

I remain stunned that so few understand what was the genius of DAOC in its early days.

Scheduled keep fights fights !!! ugggh

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Member UncommonPosts: 75

so.. this will be like the new ESO's cyrodiil? a giant land mass to take over? or more like gw2 crappy w v w?

i can't stand eso art style, if this had a continent for pvp it would be awesome

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Sounds interesting but I won't be wasting my time in Tera again.  Way to grindy for me to bear.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by dwarfkinglords

so.. this will be like the new ESO's cyrodiil? a giant land mass to take over? or more like gw2 crappy w v w?

i can't stand eso art style, if this had a continent for pvp it would be awesome

Its 3 zone sized PvP areas, one foe each continent with a rare resources that are only in these zones, heres a more indepth look at this huge content update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn-p958Cx4s

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by dwarfkinglords

Its 3 zone sized PvP areas, one foe each continent with a rare resources that are only in these zones, heres a more indepth look at this huge content update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn-p958Cx4s

Thanksimage

• PhobiaPhobia Member Posts: 51

+1 to Comaf!

As long as there are only 2 factions fighting over the same resource there will never be a surprise to who walks away victor.  3 factions (ie. DAoC) was the main draw to the most exciting PvP/RvR ever enjoyed.

My money is on Camelot Unchained tbh.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Trying to pull the DAoC crowd again...isn't the recurring theme of the month recreating a different turn-of-the-century title?

Developers also cannot resist endlessly chasing the Lost Magic.

This industry has evolved into a entire brigade of cynical panderers try to lure the Old Guys in with some Barely Legal lost-youth fantasy promises. Promise them a fast car and booze and bullets, too.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.