Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Hartsman Returns to Trion as CEO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE:

Trion has also confirmed that the San Diego office will be closing and that the Defiance team will be moving to the Redwood City office alongside Trion's other titles. (source: Polygon.com)

"We can confirm that the San Diego studio will be closing," an official statement reads. "The day to day operations of Defiance will be moved to our Redwood City studio where it can be managed alongside Rift and our other in-development titles including ArcheAge and End of Nations. As part of this transition, we are working hard to ensure that a number of great people will be making the move from San Diego to the Bay Area and continue their work at Trion."

In probably the best-kept secret in the industry, Trion Worlds has announced that Scott Hartsman is the new Chief Executive Officer. Hartsman is returning to Trion where he most recently served as the company’s Chief Creative Officer and oversaw the launch of the critically acclaimed and highly successful game Rift.

Scott Hartsman has been appointed CEO for Trion Worlds effective immediately.

In an email to the company, Hartsman stated, “We're going to rapidly be laying the groundwork for a new strategy for Trion -- One that's closer to the foundation of how we've had our wins so far, and then extending that base into the enduring success this company can, and will, be.”

We'll keep you posted on this developing story as more information is released.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    "...highly successful game Rift."

That's a bold statement.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Didn't he leave because RIFT was going F2P and he said he'd never be a part of it...or was that someone else at Trion? Memory is shady.

• GarbracGarbrac Member UncommonPosts: 32
    People are still playing it, that makes it successful.  
  • davexenodavexeno Member Posts: 11
    He never said that directly Marz.at.play but he never kept it a secret that he disliked the Free2Play model. I have so many mixed feelings now that he's back given the direction of Rift, the nightmare that was Defiance and the confusion that is End of Nations. I dislike the direction Trion has headed, so short term I'm wary, but long term it could really pay off.
  • Awesome news..! He has too much knowledge and experience to makes games unique and enjoyable, thats for sure.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by achesoma

That's a bold statement.

how do you come to the conclusion its not successful..its made a fortune.and just because it doesn't have WOW numbers does that mean its a fail..don't think so.rift is an enjoyable game to a point although its more of the same.has far as I know it made its money back in the first 2 months..from what I heard..development was about 40 million or just around that.on release and after it sold about 2 million copies so that's its money back and profit.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Awesome news!

Now here's to hoping he can get some momentum behind AA and get it released!

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Does he shave his eyebrows?  They look a little funny in that picture.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Great news!

• Fish_TacosFish_Tacos Member UncommonPosts: 45

I think Rift might have some good times ahead. A lot of the new games are moving away from the trinity and into action combat. Rift offers a more "traditional" version of game with tab targeting, raid/gear progression that a lot of players may feel comfortable with. Also, some of the WoW players may move into Rift. I don't know obviously how the Rift ftp numbers are looking, but I think it's possible.

I don't know how Defiance is doing, but I think it is a game with...untapped potential. It can fill a certain gap for SciFi games depending how what direction Trion (and Scott Hartsman) takes its development in future. 

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by davexeno
    He never said that directly Marz.at.play but he never kept it a secret that he disliked the Free2Play model. I have so many mixed feelings now that he's back given the direction of Rift, the nightmare that was Defiance and the confusion that is End of Nations. I dislike the direction Trion has headed, so short term I'm wary, but long term it could really pay off.

Thanks. Hoping he doesn't mess too much with the F2P model as it's great the way it is.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Maybe now we can get the training wheels lifted off the ArcheAge team and get some traction.
  • MacDeath2013MacDeath2013 Member Posts: 3
    Gratz Scott!  Now work some of your magic on the other Trion games.  Oh, and get Russ and Hal back on board too please. /salute
  • VelshaVelsha Member Posts: 20

I truly believe he has the Midas touch, but in a good way.  I'm sure Trion will be reaching new highs with this man in the driver's seat.

Congrats, Mr. Hartsman!  = )

-They call me Velsha

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by Garbrac

False

People would still be playing SWG, but it was closed because of a conflict of interest and a lack of money coming in.

Money = Success to the business world. Rift is barely making any money, so they're not really successful.

EvE on the other hand, is making hand over fist with about 500,000 subscribers paying $15/month. So yea.....

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by BearKnight

False.

I have to put this here, because this is what you made me think of.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    This is a really strange and surprising move......

Steam: Neph

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    hope he par takes in Defiance! its greatly need for a proper Creative lead.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I never understood why Trion moved away from MMORPGs

Defiance and End of Nation bombed spectacularly, I didn't have any doubt about it

So with Hartsman is back to the MMORPGs roots then...................... good.

Make sure Archeage is a winner.............and no swimwear and cars pls.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

False

People would still be playing SWG, but it was closed because of a conflict of interest and a lack of money coming in.

Money = Success to the business world. Rift is barely making any money, so they're not really successful.

EvE on the other hand, is making hand over fist with about 500,000 subscribers paying $15/month. So yea.....

Rift barely making any money? It was a sub game for a long time and now that its F2P, people are spending on the cash shop every single day. So you're totally wrong here.

About EvE, you really think everyone pay for their sub in EvE? You know you can get your sub for free by buying PLEX from other players? Again, you're still wrong about EvE.

So yeah, again another clueless guy with false information.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by SirFubar

False

Rift barely making any money? It was a sub game for a long time and now that its F2P, people are spending on the cash shop every single day. So you're totally wrong here.

About EvE, you really think everyone pay for their sub in EvE? You know you can get your sub for free by buying PLEX from other players? Again, you're still wrong about EvE.

So yeah, again another clueless guy with false information.

A long time? 2 years max and that is not that long - long is WoW.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Trion Worlds shuts down San Diego office

Interesting times indeed.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by achesoma

That's a bold statement.

you forgot "critically acclaimed", which of course makes "highly successful" pale in comparison.

i partly jest of course, im a fan of Rift and their incredible f2p model. its a solid game with a devoted team and a community that you can't find many other places.

but still, im not someone who would attach the phrases: "critically acclaimed" and "highly successful" to Rift.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by SirFubar

that is not that long - long is WoW.

that's what he said.

Originally posted by ste2000

I never understood why Trion moved away from MMORPGs

Defiance and End of Nation bombed spectacularly, I didn't have any doubt about it

So with Hartsman is back to the MMORPGs roots then...................... good.

Make sure Archeage is a winner.............and no swimwear and cars pls.

the problem there is that they don't own the game. and those things you hate so much are quite common with asian games and in particular Korean games. check out the cash shops in a lot of Korean games and you will find similar items. so it is quite unlikely you will get your wish.