Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: An EQ Noob’s Reaction to EverQuest Next

13»

Comments

• psychosiszzpsychosiszz Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Halldor

So, you didn't played much EQ and EQ2, but you always think this game lacks EQ's essence...

Error 404, intelligence not found.

well if you look again it was more of a question than a statement and I've played only a bit of eq. but can see his point.

• shad515shad515 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    EQN characters are Disney type of cartoony while the environment is bland. The characters running along the road look totally separate from the environment. EQN graphics is worse than WoW and EQ2.

As for other content, we have to wait to see how it will be implemented.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Riposte.This
    This game has no soul, it should just be a pvp oriented game.

Has no soul?What does that mean?All you have seen so far is a basic tech demo.If your already dismissing it now your probably going to miss out on what looks like it may turn out to be a nice game.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by shad515
    EQN characters are Disney type of cartoony while the environment is bland. The characters running along the road look totally separate from the environment. EQN graphics is worse than WoW and EQ2. As for other content, we have to wait to see how it will be implemented.

Totally disagree here. Game looks nice and destructible environments look anything but bland. WOW was a great game and is still fun.EQ2 is a great game and still fun but sorry I don't think it looks better than this. Everything in this game looks better than both of those games. But of course that's all opinion.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

It's painfully obvious that SOE has problems with nepotism where JR. gets the job! or gets a government tax break for hiring the blind to do their MMO artwork. Yes, SOE characters are ugly and more often than not the animations look fucking awful. Surprise!

What was most surprising about EQN was that the characters looked like they belonged in Wildstar... I mean... how? The animations were good, the art was good (aside from Tony the Tiger .. LOL.. dude, WHY THE LONG FACE!?) ... but the art direction for this game is more reminiscent of Free Realms than Everquest... and so is the game-play.

I think EQN will do well, but I have to wonder how much longer these guys will have their jobs.

I was pretty surprised to see that EQN was pretty decent visually, though I have a feeling the optimization wont be great (their own debut demonstration had really low framerate...) not to mention SOE has a bad history with this kind of shit. Also check out the vaulting animation on the chick again, classic SOE animations XD (which I'm sure this game will be full of)

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

who cares about soul ,good graffix and gameplay,thats all I need.

and no stuped levelling quests,the game is going to be great.

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by syltmacka

oooooor you guys are getting old lol.

im gonna play and try this game. looks fun so far.

gonna be a ratonga necromancer ^^

hehehe ur gonna be a ratromancer?  LOL

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Quite funny to be dizzing a game that's years to release.

If they actually achieve everything they promised in the debut promo EQN will definately be an awesome mmorpg.

If they fall flat like 99% of mmorpgs that have been coming, it probably won't.

Time will tell.

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    A MMO with the combat freedom of The Force Unleash and a sandbox PvPvE endgame is pretty much my dream of the evolution of MMO's. If Everquest Next has real meaningful PvP, it will be the closest thing I've seen to that so far. Meaningful PvP is a requirement for me though, so I hope the hits about faction and sandbox areas equates to PvP with a purpose and rewards.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

You know Michael, I never feel like I've given an essay proper attention unless I  find something to criticize...I blame it on my education. But damn it! Try as I might, I can't find anything in your article I don't agree with.

I can't wait to play it either, warts and all.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am going to play the Waldorf here a bit with some nitpicking.

1) Everyone says that stylized holds up better over time. But is that true? If I compare EQ2 vs WOW, I STILL like EQ2 better, visually. EQ2 was, back then, an attempt to make it AS good as possible. Also: do graphics still improve so much in the next 10 years as they did in the last 10 years? I highly doubt that, too. We reached almost the end of realism now, looking at The Division and the like. 10 and 20 years ago, graphics were still making leaps ahead every year. So of course back THEN stylized aged much better. But we have 2013 not 2003; we almost reached the end of the line. A visually top notch MMO would not look old in 5 or 10 years even remotely as 10 or 15 years ago. So the argument feel pretty invalid to me.

2) SOEmote: I REALLY wonder if a substantial part of MMO gamers really, really has that active most of the time. Somehow I just doubt it. I mean, who wants a camera on 7-8 hours and your char reflects EVERY emotion and movement you do? You sneeze or pick your nose, you eat or whatever. Does really anyone plan to have SOEmote on more than a very brief time?? Wasn't /smile /laugh /wave /gasp good enough??

3) How important is the destructible world REALLY? I mean, in the actual gameplay? I only see a BIG chance for griefing and trolling other players. But the benefits? Yes you see where a combat was. Yes your attack destroyes some stuff. But aside from this gimmick... I simply fail to see how that makes the gameplay better?? In what ACTUAL situation does it make the gameplay better to have a fleeting effect of destruction? Yes I was awed looking at it in the preview too. But if you THINK about the regular gaming, I just can't imagine any real situation where it makes such a big different, aside from falling into a chasm and cursing, because you are out of reach of your quest-goal now.

Just my 2 ct.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    SOE is making it F2P to try to drag us in... and I guess that might work for me.  I honestly don't have the intent of spending a dime on it after seeing the art style and reading about their approach to classes. Honestly, I think they'd be better off going with the usual classes straight off the bat than attempting to do something new.  Remember EQ2's classes at launch?  Yeah, that didn't go over so well. 
  • ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133

Firstly, you really need to understand the difference between 'noob' and 'newb'. Someone in your position should know this. I'm astounded you don't.

Secondly, like others have retorted - and I concur with them - you need to go back to EQ2 and see the graphics. I've tried but I just can't see that you're being objective at all on this point, and that's disappointing.

I agree with you regarding the SOEmote, I think it's great, and I totally understand and apprectiate why the developers have gone for the look they have with the character models so they can better convey the emotes and emotion in-game. I like what you're thinking in this regards.

I am concerned like you also about lack of substance with the game, the current trend of MMOs in the recent past has brought this to the fore. However, then I remind myself that these people making EQN are the ones that created EQ 1 and 2, and as such I have faith that they'll once again provide an amazing amount of detail and depth to the world, something that's been missing of late.

There are aspects of what's been released regarding EQN that I am concerned about, e.g. the lack of weapon/skill variability, but also I realise no game out there is going to be perfect for me in every way. So, on the whole I'm very happy with what's been released about EQN so far. 

I'm looking forward to hearing about the housing/crafting system, and  I hope they are similarly involved as in EQ2.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    The only thing I don't like is the look of the Kerran. It's just way to out there and ridiculous looking. The other character models look fine to me though and the graphics I thought were gorgeous otherwise. 

i feel the same :)

edit:  I hate the new FV model too

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

First off. The EQ vs WoW debate, put both games on low (because that is the level most computers are at on a average) the ask your self if A or B have aged with more grace.

Now that aside it is not so much about WoW and EQ in reality... It has more to do with a established fact that a non-realistic art style age better because it starts out as non-realistic and our brain have an easier time to accept it for what it is. Realistic art styles on the other hand always have to stand up against... well, reality and the older it gets the shorter it comes up.

A less loaded example would be Jurassic Park vs Toy Story... Toy story have held up a lot better then the digital effects in Jurassic park )and those were stet of the art, top of the line.. no expenses spared VFX)

Of course all thing ages and i agree the EQ2 have a massive advantage in the detail area, but it seems that EQ:N will be packed with detail and honestly... With the SoEmo system i prefer stylized over "real" due to the uncanny valley effect.

This have been a good conversation

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by skeaser
    I disagree on your EQ2 vs WoW graphics comment. I personally think that EQ2 looks much better than WoW. Mostly because we're just now reaching a point where computers can handle EQ2...

I agree. And I had to shake my head sadly as that really hits it spot on for me

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

It's painfully obvious that SOE has problems with nepotism where JR. gets the job! or gets a government tax break for hiring the blind to do their MMO artwork. Yes, SOE characters are ugly and more often than not the animations look fucking awful. Surprise!

What was most surprising about EQN was that the characters looked like they belonged in Wildstar... I mean... how? The animations were good, the art was good (aside from Tony the Tiger .. LOL.. dude, WHY THE LONG FACE!?) ... but the art direction for this game is more reminiscent of Free Realms than Everquest... and so is the game-play.

I think EQN will do well, but I have to wonder how much longer these guys will have their jobs.

The art lead comes from FreeRealms. ;)

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• gjsfaungjsfaun Member CommonPosts: 34

I'm an old timer (started with text-based MUDs) and I'm really excited about what EQN has shown. I've never been a huge fan of the EQ franchise (I liked a lot of the indi games more) but certainly appreciated what they brought to the table.

Art Style

The art style put me off at first, but the more that was demonstrated, the more I got into it.  I don't have a camera setup, not sure I'd want to run it all the time for the emotes, but it's something that seems to really fit with the style.  Certainly going to give it a try.  I can just see myself running along in some canyon and then going into a sneezing fit.  It's the desert dust! Really!

I think it shows that they are really trying to create an immersive experience where you actually care about the character and the world around you.  These days when I create a character I want to care, but just have a hard time.  Few games have the customization needed, or the scaling and quality are off (that collection of pixels is my character).  

Customization

People play for different reasons - I like to play games where I can have an alternate virtual reality - a character that reflects my design choices, customized housing, back-story, etc.  I don't role-play, but I still desire these things. Mostly I find games just throw you into it with few options for any form of sandbox game play. My dream game has always been a sandbox where I could be an explorer and homesteader. SWG came closest to this, but had other problems.

If EQN can deliver on this, it's going to make a lot of people happy.  Customization of character. Design and build your own house. Yes, please.

Leveling / Questing / Achievements

I like the accomplishments that EQ and similar games had - you worked hard, put in lots of hours, and got tangible benefits. A faster mount, a sense of accomplishment, etc.  Except that I'm older now and don't have the time or desire to do that kind of thing anymore. I have better things to do with my time that aren't as frustrating.  In my recent trip back to EQ2, I found the game to be unbalanced at the lower levels. They've been adding in more stuff, invalidating some of the older content, patching with quick fixes.  As someone coming back, I actually like it - I run so fast at level 20 (which only took a few hours to reach) that I'm addicted to speed.  All that grinding I did years ago to get a mount for a few percent more running speed invalidated by being given a mount two or three times faster.  I have the ability to solo just about any of the old-world content, even if it's several levels higher.  Easily - mercenaries, AA points, equipment pretty much make it easy mode playing.  So different from what this franchise used to be known for. As much as I hated corpse runs in EQ, that first time I fell down a hole in Befallen at low level and had to ask random people to help get my gear back, is still memorable. I just don't have time or patience for it anymore. EQN appears to be catering to me.

Combat

I like games with fast-pasted combat.  I went back to EQ2 last week to give it a try. After I got through all the massive changes, I realized that at it's core it's still a very methodical, plodding, combat system.  I want something more active. I don't want to wait 4 seconds or 9 seconds for my weapons to swing.  That just seems crazy to me now. I've also long hated having to keep six or seven rows of icons with various abilities. When I come back to a game after years of being away, re-learning dozens upon dozens of abilities just ends up pushing me away.  I start over with a new character instead of continuing with one of my older ones to get over this.

Lore & Soul

Lots of comments about lack of soul.  That's how I felt about SWTOR - I just couldn't get into it. I couldn't connect.  I don't think we have enough information to determine if EQN is going the same route. Soul for me is a connection to the game world, to my character, to the people around me. EQN seems to be going the right direction, but until I can play it, not much to say about it.  

Summary

Everything I've seen about EQN so far seems to cater to me. It's everything I'm currently looking for in a game, beyond what I thought was possible. I really hope they can pull it off.

• BezerkinBezerkin Member UncommonPosts: 5

I'm a little surprised they let you write this.  Doesn't feel like Everquest? Are you kidding? It's at it's infant stage.  You think when Michael Jordan was born everyone gathered around and said "Yeah, I don't know....he doesn't look like the best basketball player that ever lived."?  

You should only review an MMO at launch or at least closer to launch.  There is too much untold that once revealed will probably have a much more resonating effect on the gaming community it intends. 

Additionally there is nothing in your bio that would suggest you have any expert insight into this or any other field.  I don't mean to be rude but holy cats you start the article out with the fact that you never played Everquest!  That's like saying "I've never tasted chocolate before, but that definitely doesn't taste like chocolate." 

- Squishmitten -