Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Chat Box on a console

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

As I just wrote in another thread, for the first time I'm considering playing ESO and possibly other online games on a PS4. It just seems as if its a good solution for the way my home is designed without lugging a PC back and forth between my office and media room. The TV room has a 70" Pioneer Sharp Elite and Bose Surround sound...so you can see why one might find that attractive...but still need the PC for my office for work as well. Anywayzzzzz, the only thing that has me concerned is how Chat works. I've never played an online game on a console. Can someone give me a theory or guess how chat for ESO would work on a PS4 and still be effective for someone laying on the couch? lol

Thanks.

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The console version has build in voice chat ( PC version does not)  with a neat interface to quickly change channels, so be prepared to have a lot of voice chat on comsoles.

with the great voice chat support and console users not being used or having a keyboard, i dont think the text based chatchannels will be used a lot.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    You can get a wireless USB keyboard for PS4
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by tkreep

I know. The problem with that is that even though you are using a keyboard and mouse, you are using a controllers menu system....which is why I wish they had a setting in game that let you choose which menu system you want depending on whether you are using a keyboard or controller.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The console version has build in voice chat ( PC version does not)  with a neat interface to quickly change channels, so be prepared to have a lot of voice chat on comsoles.

with the great voice chat support and console users not being used or having a keyboard, i dont think the text based chatchannels will be used a lot.

Thanks that sounds great, just not sure what I would do for those times where I want to hear the music and sound effects without chat drowning them out and not be forced to use a keyboard to chat with a menu system geared toward a controller. Thats the delemma. I bet I end up buying both the PC and PS4 version lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

I know. The problem with that is that even though you are using a keyboard and mouse, you are using a controllers menu system....which is why I wish they had a setting in game that let you choose which menu system you want depending on whether you are using a keyboard or controller.

They prolly do just like FF XIV where the interface and menu system is totally different for gamepad from keyboard and mouse, but I still use a keyboard just to chat and use gamepad for everything else.  No mouse required.  And you can go to options to change between k/m or gamepad settings.

They prolly do just like FF XIV where the interface and menu system is totally different for gamepad from keyboard and mouse, but I still use a keyboard just to chat and use gamepad for everything else.  No mouse required.  And you can go to options to change between k/m or gamepad settings.

I've never seen how that works with FF, but if that ends up to be the case and the menu system will change even on the PS4 to accomodate a keyboard and mouse that would be great..than its a closed issue for me at least, but something tells me they are not focused with this right now because they know  most PS4 owners just want a controller and probably don't care if chat drowns out the sound effects and music.

There Is Always Hope!

In FF XIV the gamepad and k/m might have different hud, menu system and controls but the chat window is still there in both types of interface and hooking up a keyboard doesnt change the gamepad settings. 

I've never seen how that works with FF, but if that ends up to be the case and the menu system will change even on the PS4 to accomodate a keyboard and mouse that would be great..than its a closed issue for me at least, but something tells me they are not focused with this right now because they know  most PS4 owners just want a controller and probably don't care if chat drowns out the sound effects and music.

Well in FFXIV there is a smart system that lets you input text into chat window using a gamepad.  A menu pops up with different categories to specify what kind of words you want to use.  And its also a auto translator between English and Japanese, like saying hello will be in japanese to japanese users.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    I support the idea of not having chat on PC.  I as of yet have never seen such a function work well within a game for some reason.  There are always better options available, even free options!
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Well in FFXIV there is a smart system that lets you input text into chat window using a gamepad.  A menu pops up with different categories to specify what kind of words you want to use.  And its also a auto translator between English and Japanese, like saying hello will be in japanese to japanese users.

That sounds more like a gimmick then something i would use for indepth communication

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by jesusjuice69
    I support the idea of not having chat on PC.  I as of yet have never seen such a function work well within a game for some reason.  There are always better options available, even free options!

My post is about the chat box and how it could possibly be used if you are using a controller. I don't understand when you say chat on a PC has never worked what you are talking about. Are you referring to built in voice chat, or chat boxes in general?

There Is Always Hope!

That sounds more like a gimmick then something i would use for indepth communication

Its mainly for speaking with japanese players. Its not just a gimmick it was very useful in Final Fantasy 11 when you party with japanese.

Its mainly for speaking with japanese players. Its not just a gimmick it was very useful in Final Fantasy 11 when you party with japanese.

Not that I think its a bad thing, but are there not North American servers?

There Is Always Hope!

Yes servers are divided like most mmos but you can use the in game group finder function to join with people from other servers even japanese when you do dungeons.  Only if you choose to check mark Japanese language for match making in the group finder.

Yes servers are divided like most mmos but you can use the in game group finder function to join with people from other servers even japanese when you do dungeons.  Only if you choose to check mark Japanese language for match making in the group finder.

I wonder how accurate the translation is. I know when I use google translate with some of my Spanish speaking friends it always messes up the little things sometimes just putting in the exact same untranslated word lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    I'd just buy another computer. Don't have to wait years to be able to upgrade to newer and better hardware, and it costs less to do so than getting another dead weight console.
    Originally posted by loopback1199
    I'd just buy another computer. Don't have to wait years to be able to upgrade to newer and better hardware, and it costs less to do so than getting another dead weight console.

The problem with that is lugging a PC back and forth across ones home from a home office to a 70" TV and unplugging and replugging everything..not to mention that even if you use your TV room as your primary spot for your PC, it often doesn't make sense when not gaming or when others want to watch the TV lol

There Is Always Hope!

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

OMG, if this is true...I can't even... LMAO! I bet this will become a call of duty like where you get kids and retards screaming in their mics, talking nonsense and bitching at other people all day long. The joys of online console gaming at it's finest.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by jesusjuice69 I support the idea of not having chat on PC.  I as of yet have never seen such a function work well within a game for some reason.  There are always better options available, even free options!
    My post is about the chat box and how it could possibly be used if you are using a controller. I don't understand when you say chat on a PC has never worked what you are talking about. Are you referring to built in voice chat, or chat boxes in general?

i think he means voice chat integrated in an MMO, which i agree is something that needs to be left out IMO, they can just continue to use third party dedicated VOIP services that will always have better quality anyways.

the voice chat that is almost necessary to play online games on a console is one of the main reasons i will never play online games on a console unless i have a keyboard and mouse and can turn off all voice chat.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

The problem with that is lugging a PC back and forth across ones home from a home office to a 70" TV and unplugging and replugging everything..not to mention that even if you use your TV room as your primary spot for your PC, it often doesn't make sense when not gaming or when others want to watch the TV lol

Not sure if you read my post, before, but I already solved that issue for you. It's called a smaller pc. You can build one that is pretty much exactly the same size as any console. As for unplugging and plugging everything back in ... it's the same amount of cords for console and pc. Power cord, Video, Ethernet (if online), controls (keyboard and mouse or controller).

It's crazy that you would assume all computers are big. You can even go as far as go with a micro ATX board or mini ITX and you would end up with something possibly even smaller then a console. http://best-b2b.com/userimg/927/959-1/mini-itx-case-858.jpg

Edit: Keep in mind, like I said before, you would have to wait a little bit before you could build an equally performing computer of the same size and price. I realize you will still use a console, which is fine, just figured I would debunk your negatives you said about a pc.

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Not sure if you read my post, before, but I already solved that issue for you. It's called a smaller pc. You can build one that is pretty much exactly the same size as any console. As for unplugging and plugging everything back in ... it's the same amount of cords for console and pc. Power cord, Video, Ethernet (if online), controls (keyboard and mouse or controller).

It's crazy that you would assume all computers are big. You can even go as far as go with a micro ATX board or mini ITX and you would end up with something possibly even smaller then a console. http://best-b2b.com/userimg/927/959-1/mini-itx-case-858.jpg

Edit: Keep in mind, like I said before, you would have to wait a little bit before you could build an equally performing computer of the same size and price. I realize you will still use a console, which is fine, just figured I would debunk your negatives you said about a pc.

I dont know how to build a PC, wouldn't even want to try lol, and you still have to physically move the PC from one room to another and disconnect and reconnect cables. The console sits there already connected since that is something one wouldn't need in a home office. Regardless, don't get me wrong, I'm a PC lover, it will always be better, I am tempted to even buy a Falcon Northwest Tiki which has the Nvidia Titan :-) and is the perfect size, but dollar wise for someone who doesn't know how to build a PC and for simple convenience sake, a console already in place is easier.

http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki

I'm not sure what previous post you are referring to. I remember this topic came up a couple of months ago and someone suggested running long cables, etc, which I didn't want to do after already remodeling and closing the walls

There Is Always Hope!

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

I dont know how to build a PC, wouldn't even want to try lol, and you still have to physically move the PC from one room to another and disconnect and reconnect cables. The console sits there already connected since that is something one wouldn't need in a home office. Regardless, don't get me wrong, I'm a PC lover, it will always be better, I am tempted to even buy a Falcon Northwest Tiki which has the Nvidia Titan :-) and is the perfect size, but dollar wise for someone who doesn't know how to build a PC and for simple convenience sake, a console already in place is easier.

I'm not sure what previous post you are referring to. I remember this topic came up a couple of months ago and someone suggested running long cables, etc, which I didn't want to do after already remodeling and closing the walls

Hmm maybe I am thinking of someone else then.

As for building a computer, it's actually pretty easy. However, now that I think about it, you are right. The console would remain their, though I was thinking more along the line the little computer would remain their as well, just as any console would.

But ya, I get what you mean.

I personally love building computers, it's the funnest part. It's a hobby of mine. :3

5 - 10 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if I have like 10 or more computers

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Behold:

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Behold:

omg what is that? lol. Is it heavy after playing for 3 hours? lol. It does look pretty cool and could be useful and I guess mostly solves the problem. Hopefully there will be one for PS4 at release. I type so fast though, very fast on regular keyboard that I dont have to hold and can use all my fingers :-). That looks like it might be hard to type fast enough and have regular conversations. Am I wrong?

There Is Always Hope!

Hmm maybe I am thinking of someone else then.

As for building a computer, it's actually pretty easy. However, now that I think about it, you are right. The console would remain their, though I was thinking more along the line the little computer would remain their as well, just as any console would.

But ya, I get what you mean.

I personally love building computers, it's the funnest part. It's a hobby of mine. :3

5 - 10 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if I have like 10 or more computers

If you lived in Los Angeles I would hire you lol.

There Is Always Hope!