Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO, my EQ Next.

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

I once wrote a post long ago about how much I loved EQOA, and what I wanted as a new eq next, and then skyrim came out.  I was so excited about it, that I wrote a piece to SOE about how Skyrim was exactly like my dreams of a future EQOA.  Unfortuantly it never came true.  When I heard it was coming to Online, I knew this game was going to be the one.  After seeing how far SOE has strayed from the days of EQOA and EQ1, I find this game more fitting for my EQ Next.  I'm sure a lot of old school EQ Next players are feeling the same way.  Any EQ players here feel the same as me?

My old post about future EQOA title and Skyrim, which made ESO my new home.

Mar 10 2012 at 10:43 AM  by Pizzamike  The second post on the page.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=19260

Comments

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Everquest was my first love as a MMO and I am really intrigued with what Everquest Next has to offer after the debut as anyone else that was also blow away, we are surely enthralled :)

Also looking forward to ESO as my son and I have played the Elder Scrolls games Oblivion and Skyrim.

Mainly interested in rejoining the community atmosphere in an MMO after taking a break for a few years.

Sincerely speaking on behalf of those who spent alot of time playing MMOs in the past; Its time to end the grind, as we are all a part of something more, why not emphasize this moreso and keep the past, in the past...trust me it helps improve one's' outlook tremendously :)

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Everquest was my first love as a MMO and I am really intrigued with what Everquest Next has to offer after the debut as anyone else that was also blow away, we are surely enthralled :)

Also looking forward to ESO as my son and I have played the Elder Scrolls games Oblivion and Skyrim.

Mainly interested in rejoining the community atmosphere in an MMO after taking a break for a few years.

Sincerely speaking on behalf of those who spent alot of time playing MMOs in the past; Its time to end the grind, as we are all a part of something more, why not emphasize this moreso and keep the past, in the past...trust me it helps improve one's' outlook tremendously :)

FInally someone who believes they can like more than one game without trolling. Very refreshing :-). I feel the same way. This is actually the first time in 10 years I am not actively playing a MMO and only playing Single Player Games. Wouldn't be awesome if there were two great MMOs to choose from instead of all of the solid, but not great competing MMOs currently out there? Of course I'm still skeptical I'll ever find an MMO home for years, it appears it will always be in months. Hope Im wrong next year.

There Is Always Hope!

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by keithian

FInally someone who believes they can like more than one game without trolling. Very refreshing :-). I feel the same way. This is actually the first time in 10 years I am not actively playing a MMO and only playing Single Player Games. Wouldn't be awesome if there were two great MMOs to choose from instead of all of the solid, but not great competing MMOs currently out there? Of course I'm still skeptical I'll ever find an MMO home for years, it appears it will always be in months. Hope Im wrong next year.

Ya, I agree. It's been pretty crazy here with the ESO and EQN fans. I don't understand why people can't simply like both lol. I am excited for both of them. I plan on playing both of them. However, when someone bashes ESO with out reason, or with stupid reason, I will speak up. The same goes with EQN. However, EQN is a bit harder to stick up for, since it's really really far from release and we really don't know enough.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by keithian Originally posted by Kuanshu Everquest was my first love as a MMO and I am really intrigued with what Everquest Next has to offer after the debut as anyone else that was also blow away, we are surely enthralled :) Also looking forward to ESO as my son and I have played the Elder Scrolls games Oblivion and Skyrim. Mainly interested in rejoining the community atmosphere in an MMO after taking a break for a few years. Sincerely speaking on behalf of those who spent alot of time playing MMOs in the past; Its time to end the grind, as we are all a part of something more, why not emphasize this moreso and keep the past, in the past...trust me it helps improve one's' outlook tremendously :)
    Ya, I agree. It's been pretty crazy here with the ESO and EQN fans. I don't understand why people can't simply like both lol. I am excited for both of them. I plan on playing both of them. However, when someone bashes ESO with out reason, or with stupid reason, I will speak up. The same goes with EQN. However, EQN is a bit harder to stick up for, since it's really really far from release and we really don't know enough.

originally i liked both and looked forward to playing both (probably EQN more than ESO) but my hype meter for EQN dropped tremendously since its reveal.

not because i don't like a lot of the systems they have in place, even though i still don't know if they can pull it off.

its mainly because its not really an everquest game except in name only and the art style really turned me off more than anything.

still going to try it and give it a fair chance but at this point i am more interested in ESO, it has the art style i like, which actually looks like an ES game.

i really hope to be pleasantly surprised by EQN because at this point i don't have a lot of expectations for that game other than something to mess around with while i am between other games.

The game market seems to be exploding and evolving overnight all of a sudden. I used to be quite the pc gamer and didn't play console games and now I am interested in purchasing a playstation 4 as these two games are headed there as well as alot of other in games which seem very much in depth as these consoles are getting better and better. The console era may overcome PC gaming with this generation of consoles. I have been involved with technology since the 80s and I currently work selling console games and consoles since 2010. The market is really ramping up rather quickly and this OR stuff reminds me of the first virual reality glasses back in the day. I really believe gaming is becoming more of a matrix learning evironment more and more as we are on the verge of something quite monumental.
    The game market seems to be exploding and evolving overnight all of a sudden. I used to be quite the pc gamer and didn't play console games and now I am interested in purchasing a playstation 4 as these two games are headed there as well as alot of other in games which seem very much in depth as these consoles are getting better and better. The console era may overcome PC gaming with this generation of consoles. I have been involved with technology since the 80s and I currently work selling console games and consoles since 2010. The market is really ramping up rather quickly and this OR stuff reminds me of the first virual reality glasses back in the day. I really believe gaming is becoming more of a matrix learning evironment more and more as we are on the verge of something quite monumental.

For someone who has been involved in tech since the 80s, I am surprised you think consoles will overcome PC. Hate to burst your bubble, but it's the other way around. As parts become cheaper and cheaper, the less relevant a console becomes. At some point in time cost for performance will be exactly the same for a console and pc. In which case, I am pretty sure most would rather buy a pc since it can do a whole lot more than a console. Either that, or consoles will simply become living room computers.

Considering you work in the industry, you really should keep up with the news. gamesindustry.biz is a good place to keep up. You will have to show that you work in the industry in order to comment though.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

For someone who has been involved in tech since the 80s, I am surprised you think consoles will overcome PC. Hate to burst your bubble, but it's the other way around. As parts become cheaper and cheaper, the less relevant a console becomes. At some point in time cost for performance will be exactly the same for a console and pc. In which case, I am pretty sure most would rather buy a pc since it can do a whole lot more than a console. Either that, or consoles will simply become living room computers.

Considering you work in the industry, you really should keep up with the news. gamesindustry.biz is a good place to keep up. You will have to show that you work in the industry in order to comment though.

Actually, and don't shoot me, I preordered a PS4 simply because I want to hook it up to my 70" TV with Bose surround sound and finally enjoy that TV for gaming. I have a very powerful gaming PC, but it is so heavy and annoying to move it back and forth from one side of my house to another that Id rather just leave it with the smaller screen in my office. Thats an example of people who may start leaning toward a console and don't want to spent 2000 and possibly more..especially if you want the latest Nvdia Titan. I think there is a lot of room still in the market for both depending on the personal circumstance.

There Is Always Hope!

Actually, and don't shoot me, I preordered a PS4 simply because I want to hook it up to my 70" TV with Bose surround sound and finally enjoy that TV for gaming. I have a very powerful gaming PC, but it is so heavy and annoying to move it back and forth from one side of my house to another that Id rather just leave it with the smaller screen in my office. Thats an example of people who may start leaning toward a console and don't want to spent 2000 and possibly more..especially if you want the latest Nvdia Titan. I think there is a lot of room still in the market for both depending on the personal circumstance.

Understandable, it's the cheaper alternative for right now. Though 6 - 12 months after it's release you will be able to build a much better PC roughly about the same size and price range.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Understandable, it's the cheaper alternative for right now. Though 6 - 12 months after it's release you will be able to build a much better PC roughly about the same size and price range.

My 1 year old Alienware top knotch gaming laptop is still faster then the next gen consoles...  i give it a year from now and windows 8 tablets will outperform the next gen consoles ...  just connect them trough their wireless HDMi to your tele and use your tablet as the controller..

Consoles are so last decade... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

After nearly a decade without a good MMO, asking for 2 at the same time is like hoping to win the lottery without playing!  So it is understandable that many of us are skeptical the believe all the hype.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

My 1 year old Alienware top knotch gaming laptop is still faster then the next gen consoles...  i give it a year from now and windows 8 tablets will outperform the next gen consoles ...  just connect them trough their wireless HDMi to your tele and use your tablet as the controller..

lol right, but I am talking about with in the same price range. It's only now that computers and consoles are getting close to the same price. The new gen consoles will be the last to be considered cheaper then computers. After this new gen, computers cost to performance ratio will be about equal to consoles. Why anyone would bother to buy a console after this gen is really beyond me. A computer can do every single thing a console can and a whole lot more.

I also have heard the argument that PCs get out dated real quick. Well news for you all who use that as an excuse, a console is pretty much a computer that will be outdated a several months after it's release, maybe even a few months. The only difference is you can do less with a console and it's impossible to upgrade it, performance wise. I rather have the option then to not have it at all.

Anyway, lets try and get back on topic lol.

I am excited for both games, but I really am looking forward to ESO because I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I have been saying since Oblivion that they need to make an mmo, and they are finally doing it. I have always been a fan of the long forgotten rpg elements that the Elder Scrolls games tend to stick to. I really never was sure why other RPG games moved away from the open world exploration aspect.

Tablets have no room for a physical video card, so don't hold your breadth. 

It is all built on board, and that has serious limitations.

Have you ever tried to play a game on a non-gaming laptop?

Try it an you will see.

Originally posted by jesusjuice69

Try it an you will see.

Actually, despite past technologies, that isn't true at all. On board graphics will eventually surpass graphic cards because of the communication abilities are much faster compared to the PCI Express interface. AMDs APUs are an example of on board graphics that are capable of a whole lot more compared to past integrated graphics. They are currently still in the works, however, this is what next gen consoles are going to be using. The great thing about this is, it's highly portable.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Try it an you will see.

You are mistaken, even the next generation consoles are using mobile graphics solutions... Nvidi has confirmed that current day mobile graphics will be possible in next years tablets.  

The only downside is battery life, but then as long as you use your build in CPU graphics solution the added graphics chip will not use any resources.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158

Same here.

For EQN I am looking forward the destructible, non linear world the most.  Their take on multi-class not so much.

For ESO it's the exact opposite, really intrigued with their class system but not their linear world design.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

Try it an you will see.

You are mistaken, even the next generation consoles are using mobile graphics solutions... Nvidi has confirmed that current day mobile graphics will be possible in next years tablets.  

The only downside is battery life, but then as long as you use your build in CPU graphics solution the added graphics chip will not use any resources.

No, I am not wrong.

Sure, technology increases exponentially so nvidia isn't wrong, but how long will that take?  Also, just what is 'current day mobile grpahics' exactly?  That bar can be very low or very high. 

I only use intel CPUs atm, as they are far superior gaming processors.  However, the Intel® HD Graphics 4000 is crap, and AMD is supposedly ahead, so lets see what google tells us.

AMD's trinity APU - Sept 2012

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010666/amd-announces-trinity-apus-superb-graphics-improved-cpu.html

"Trinity's built-in AMD Radeon HD 7660D GPU includes 384 graphics cores (which AMD calls stream processors) running at 800MHz. It's worth noting that this number of stream cores gives the 7660D higher potential performance than AMD's entry-level discrete GPUs, such as the Radeon HD 7450"

A 7450 won't run any recent game well.

Its so bad, I can't even find decent benchmarks.

The next gen consoles are mid grade PC game rigs at best.

They do use AMD APU, which is interesting, but I am guessing it is unique in design.

http://asia.cnet.com/xbox-ones-gpu-not-as-powerful-as-ps4s-62221459.htm

That is about the equivalent of GTX 650 ti to 660, and the 700 series will probably be out before either this game or those consoles even get here!

Regardless, it is going to be awhile before they miniaturize the APU to a point that tablets can play even dated games.

My first console was an atari 2600 and I haven't played console games much since that time until recently. My first computer was an APPLE IIE and even though I took a break from computers for roughly a decade during the later part of the 80s until well into the 90s I considered myself solely a PC gamer throughout the years. I built my own rigs from the 90s until what I considered my last creation which I invested $2500 into back in 2009 as it was quite the beast and would surely still be considered a decent rig today. I know wtf I am talking about much more then you can imagine when I refer to gaming and technology. Ya'll can make your inept judgements whilst you pass time doing that which is familiar to you. We are all obviously consumers in your own right and as good consumers we are a walking advertisements to some degree or another.

Isn't it interesting how popular Minecraft was and is amongst much of the younger generation? I really hope ya'll paid attention recently during the Everquest Next Debut. Some of us simply smile as observing trends without any effort or regard is something many take for granted. If you see where things are going you pretty much have also realized how it involves you and others accordingly.

Meanwhile many of us want what we want...is it truly something we really want or is there something more to it...hmmm

ESO, EQN, FFXIV, Warhammer 40K, etc...MMOs are heading to next generation consoles as a cost effective entertainment console where everyone is on the same playing field in a massively multiplayer setting is where its going...

Try it an you will see.

No, I am not wrong.

Sure, technology increases exponentially so nvidia isn't wrong, but how long will that take?  Also, just what is 'current day mobile grpahics' exactly?  That bar can be very low or very high. 

I only use intel CPUs atm, as they are far superior gaming processors.  However, the Intel® HD Graphics 4000 is crap, and AMD is supposedly ahead, so lets see what google tells us.

AMD's trinity APU - Sept 2012

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010666/amd-announces-trinity-apus-superb-graphics-improved-cpu.html

"Trinity's built-in AMD Radeon HD 7660D GPU includes 384 graphics cores (which AMD calls stream processors) running at 800MHz. It's worth noting that this number of stream cores gives the 7660D higher potential performance than AMD's entry-level discrete GPUs, such as the Radeon HD 7450"

A 7450 won't run any recent game well.

Its so bad, I can't even find decent benchmarks.

The next gen consoles are mid grade PC game rigs at best.

They do use AMD APU, which is interesting, but I am guessing it is unique in design.

http://asia.cnet.com/xbox-ones-gpu-not-as-powerful-as-ps4s-62221459.htm

That is about the equivalent of GTX 650 ti to 660, and the 700 series will probably be out before either this game or those consoles even get here!

Regardless, it is going to be awhile before they miniaturize the APU to a point that tablets can play even dated games.

The point is, these APUs will eventually surpass discrete cards. So yes, you are technically wrong. You stated that on board graphics have serious limitations. That is a statement that is entirely false. It is the other way around. Discrete cards have limitations due to having to communicate over the board to the cpu. While onboard graphics communicates directly with the cpu. It's much faster.

You have to remember AMD's APUs are new. Compare their first APU with their newest going into the consoles, and you will see the rate of performance is increasing fairly quickly. Matter of fact, AMD is currently ruling the mobile market now.

In the past it was clearly impossible to play a game such as Crysis with out a discrete card. Now it's easily possible, and it runs at a playable speed. Again it may not be better then discrete cards yet, but again, it's new. Needs to play a bit of catch up.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Im expecting ESO to be alo like the other elder scrolls games: one month of good entertainment and thats about it.
  • DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Im expecting ESO to be alo like the other elder scrolls games: one month of good entertainment and thats about it.

Sadly you may be right.  A few months for me and then nada.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

My first console was an atari 2600 and I haven't played console games much since that time until recently. My first computer was an APPLE IIE and even though I took a break from computers for roughly a decade during the later part of the 80s until well into the 90s I considered myself solely a PC gamer throughout the years. I built my own rigs from the 90s until what I considered my last creation which I invested $2500 into back in 2009 as it was quite the beast and would surely still be considered a decent rig today. I know wtf I am talking about much more then you can imagine when I refer to gaming and technology. Ya'll can make your inept judgements whilst you pass time doing that which is familiar to you. We are all obviously consumers in your own right and as good consumers we are a walking advertisements to some degree or another.

Isn't it interesting how popular Minecraft was and is amongst much of the younger generation? I really hope ya'll paid attention recently during the Everquest Next Debut. Some of us simply smile as observing trends without any effort or regard is something many take for granted. If you see where things are going you pretty much have also realized how it involves you and others accordingly.

Meanwhile many of us want what we want...is it truly something we really want or is there something more to it...hmmm

ESO, EQN, FFXIV, Warhammer 40K, etc...MMOs are heading to next generation consoles as a cost effective entertainment console where everyone is on the same playing field in a massively multiplayer setting is where its going...

Another person stating the exact opposite of pretty much what the entire gaming industry is saying.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but consoles are in trouble after this generation. For all you so called people who know what your talking about, you really don't read much and keep up with the industry news do you?

The best hope for consoles is to become living room PCs.

Also, you act like this is the first time MMOs have been on consoles, you must be very forgetful.

So much for you knowing what you are talking about. Seems to me like you know almost nothing. Unless you want to make some corrections there.

Edit: I find it very offensive when people state they know what they are taking about, and then follow by stating false information.

Another person stating the exact opposite of pretty much what the entire gaming industry is saying.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but consoles are in trouble after this generation. For all you so called people who know what your talking about, you really don't read much and keep up with the industry news do you?

Also, you act like this is the first time MMOs have been on consoles, you must be very forgetful.

So much for you knowing what you are talking about. Seems to me like you know almost nothing. Unless you want to make some corrections there.

Edit: I find it very offensive when people state they know what they are taking about, and then follow by stating false information.

Its a good thing you live in your reality as much as I live in mine...

Also if you are so easily offended, then you must be used to it by now :)

If you honestly believe the best we can hope for is living room PCs then you severely lack imagination and foresight

Glad your self righteous and indignant attitude isn't too pretentious...or is it

What is true or false is surely not determined by you or who you take it upon yourself to speak for

Proof is in the pudding as they say and there are alot more factors here involved then you would care to consider

If your still offended then my post was moderately successful

This is why we game :)

Its a good thing you live in your reality as much as I live in mine...

Also if you are so easily offended, then you must be used to it by now :)

If you honestly believe the best we can hope for is living room PCs then you severely lack imagination and foresight

Glad your self righteous and indignant attitude isn't too pretentious...or is it

What is true or false is surely not determined by you or who you take it upon yourself to speak for

Proof is in the pudding as they say and there are alot more factors here involved then you would care to consider

If your still offended then my post was moderately successful

This is why we game :)

Difference is, I have proof. The cost for hardware is going down for computers. Eventually that price will be at the same point of the cost of a console for the same performance. This has been an on going discussion in the game industry. If you don't beleive me, ask Valve, even they are looking to move PCs to the living room.

If you want I can start linking 100s of articles on what I am basing this on, and shoot down all your claims. Then what would you say then? 

I work in the game industry, and I am fairly up to date with what is going on. Can you say the same?

Ahh there it is...it hits close to home

Change is the only constant...get used to it or you got a long road to hoe

I would gather I have witnessed and observed more in my time

If you know anything about computers then you should know that all the technology it is based on, utilizes the same principles and yet you are much like alot of so called tech savvy opinionated types who believe all this is going somewhere and they need to stay on the cutting edge or they are not going to be a part of the latest and greatest

Ive observed technology and honestly I am not even remotely amused or even impressed, I am more like oh so thats why it is the way it is....rather then oh ya I am so intelligent, experienced, and progressively minded....I prefer to look at the big picture and not take myself so freakin seriously

Look around you....you call all these inventions genius? You believe that we should be thankful we live in a technologically advanced era?

If it doesn't come full circle you for one are going to wish otherwise, or are you one of those types on the freight train to oblivion?

Corporatism is more like a religion

WOW

Ahh there it is...it hits close to home

Change is the only constant...get used to it or you got a long road to hoe

I would gather I have witnessed and observed more in my time

If you know anything about computers then you should know that all the technology it is based on, utilizes the same principles and yet you are much like alot of so called tech savvy opinionated types who believe all this is going somewhere and they need to stay on the cutting edge or they are not going to be a part of the latest and greatest

Ive observed technology and honestly I am not even remotely amused or even impressed, I am more like oh so thats why it is the way it is....rather then oh ya I am so intelligent, experienced, and progressively minded....I prefer to look at the big picture and not take myself so freakin seriously

Look around you....you call all these inventions genius? You believe that we should be thankful we live in a technologically advanced era?

If it doesn't come full circle you for one are going to wish otherwise, or are you one of those types on the freight train to oblivion?

Corporatism is more like a religion

WOW

Really lost you here. No idea what your talking about.

I simply go by what is currently occurring in the world and industry. It isn't about being impressed, it's about science and technology. It's about the consumers. The gaming industry in the last generation has seen major changes. With the mobile market growing, and more casual players, to steam growing and becoming the lead in PC sales. Consoles are simply becoming less and less relevant. Consoles are going to have to do something new, and different to be able to remain relevant to gaming.

Consoles where created because they are a cheaper way to play games. Instead of spending $2000 on a computer, you can spend $300 - 400 on a console. This benefit soon will no longer exist. There will no longer be any purpose.

It's just common sense. Would you buy a computer or a console if it performed exactly the same and costed exactly the same? Chances are you would buy the computer because not only can it do EVERYTHING a console can, it can do a  whole lot more. It's a lot less limited and a more open platform. 

Having a single platform will also be a very large benefit for developers. No more of the porting, and no more of the exclusives.