Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: An EQ Noob’s Reaction to EverQuest Next

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Whether you're a longtime fan or series newbie, the game design and technology behind EverQuest Next could have far-reaching impact for the genre. This week, we're offering our take on the announcement as an admitted EQ newbie.

Despite being an EQ newbie, I do know that EverQuest has always been a classic, high fantasy MMO in which players played as one of many distinct classes and races available. While the presence of these races and classes (to some extent) appears to be intact, it’s clear, even to someone like me, that what SOE unveiled at SOE Live was a departure from the series in many ways.

Read more of Michael Bitton's An EQ Noob’s Reaction to EverQuest Next.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    I agree.. the game lacks the soul of EverQuest, from what I've seen so far.
  • Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    This game has no soul, it should just be a pvp oriented game.

Killing dragons is my shit

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

oooooor you guys are getting old lol.

im gonna play and try this game. looks fun so far.

gonna be a ratonga necromancer ^^

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    I disagree on your EQ2 vs WoW graphics comment. I personally think that EQ2 looks much better than WoW. Mostly because we're just now reaching a point where computers can handle EQ2...
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

We don't know much about the details of the game yet.  All we really have is high-level information about the technology because they will be talking about the rest of the game in the coming months. Even most of the information from the panels was kept high-level to allow them to have something to feed us with for the next year or so.

I also believe some of the more granular detail of the game is still up in the air, and awaiting community feedback.  SOE's big push was about how this is the player's game as much as it is SOE's.  If they didn't want feedback, they probably could have waited until next year to reveal it, but I believe they do want it.  It's up to us to give constructive feedback rather than nerd rage on gaming forums.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

I much like the Graphics Style of EQN.

It is actually one of the attraction/appeal points of it right now.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • KharishaKharisha Member Posts: 38
    I disagree about Kerran. He looks amazing.
  • HalldorHalldor Member UncommonPosts: 10

So, you didn't played much EQ and EQ2, but you always think this game lacks EQ's essence...

Error 404, intelligence not found.

Originally posted by skeaser
    I disagree on your EQ2 vs WoW graphics comment. I personally think that EQ2 looks much better than WoW. Mostly because we're just now reaching a point where computers can handle EQ2...

I hated the EQ II graphics when the game first released.  Everything looked to me then like it was made of cheap plastic or had been sprayed with lacquer.  It was a big turn off and one of the reasons I only played to about level 15 or 20.

Anyway, art style is subjective, so I understand that you may like it better.

Something isn't being mentioned in any of these posts about the graphics though, and maybe it should be confirmed with SOE.  I'm assuming, based on what I know about procedural graphics systems, that  a lot of the textures are procedural as well as underlying structure, rather than based on static, painted art as is traditional in MMOs.  If that's the case for EQN, then the game world may have been driven toward this art style due to the limits of procedural art technology to allow for destruction/construction without mismatched/misplaced textures trying to keep up with the changing world structure.

One could argue that this would only affect the game world, and not the characters, but then why would they have characters that don't match the look of the game world?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by skeaser

I hated the EQ II graphics when the game first released.  Everything looked to me then like it was made of cheap plastic or had been sprayed with lacquer.  It was a big turn off and one of the reasons I only played to about level 15 or 20.

Anyway, art style is subjective, so I understand that you may like it better.

Something isn't being mentioned in any of these posts about the graphics though, and maybe it should be confirmed with SOE.  I'm assuming, based on what I know about procedural graphics systems, that  a lot of the textures are procedural as well as underlying structure, rather than based on static, painted art as is traditional in MMOs.  If that's the case for EQN, then the game world may have been driven toward this art style due to the limits of procedural art technology to allow for destruction/construction without mismatched/misplaced textures trying to keep up with the changing world structure.

One could argue that this would only affect the game world, and not the characters, but then why would they have characters that don't match the look of the game world?

I agree that it's all subjective, I just really don't think EQ2 looks as "old" as WoW. 

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

I agree with the article. I can see what he is saying.

You don't have to be a hardcore EQ player to know that this game is not exactly a direct sequel. Aside from the fact its called EQNext where is the homage to its source material? To be fair we have plenty of time for that.

Oh yeah and there is the hundred posts of players losing their garsh darn minds as well.

To those people I say, relax.

I like the art style. The Kerran look a little lame but that is cause this isn't completely finished or polished.

I really really hope they deliver on this new AI for monsters. Really tired of static monsters who do the exact same shyt over and over.

In all. The reaction is exactly what anybody with half a brain expected. Even SoE isn't surprised im sure. This too shall pass.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Tony the tiger... they used a Lion, more Lionel then?

I preferred the Tiger-based look of the Kerrans in the Gabor art to the Lion-based look shown at  SOE Live, Lions have a huge Mane which tends to give them the appearance of a head much bigger in relation to their body-size than Tigers do, so the EQN  Kerran from the videos looked ridiculous in terms of head to body ratio, it's face also looked far less emotive, more a dumb Madagascar lion that a predecessor to the Vah Shir or Kerra, I think they need to shorten the snout upscale the skull, give it a sizeable mane & a larger mouth to look more in line with a Lionesque look.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

As someone that did play EQ for 6-7 years, EQ2 for a short time. The secrete to the success was the trinity system. Which also means the community. You quickly have a friends list & a ignore list.

EQN is moving away from this and ill be honest. It scares the heck out of me. I always know what i got with a EQ game. Now ill have to wait and see. I do see all of the new "gizmos" they look impressive. I do like alot of what the game is doing. But IMO it seems they are taking the core out of the game.

Time will tell. I check several web sites everyday for new details and try to keep an open mind. One way or another i will play the game. The only real question will be. For how long?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Maybe they could garner a lot more goodwill from their current player bases by implementing a second team on a project to create an updated EQ MMO in the tradition of the original EQ.  Nothing wrong with them creating something new, but the EQLive game is long past due for a real sequel or do those players not count anymore?  This is a big company, surely they can work on more than one new project at a time?

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I am gonna wait for landmark, will see how much SOE ask for it. then i will wait for the "original" storybricks. what i got from talking to the storybricks developers is that they will release their own product in 2014. is worth waiting a bit longer for storybricks. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by syltmacka

oooooor you guys are getting old lol.

im gonna play and try this game. looks fun so far.

gonna be a ratonga necromancer ^^

Or you are just to young.

Like my cousin, who wouldve never played great games liek Final fantasy 7,8,9, or 10 if he didnt have older gamers in his family.

He didnt even know what everquest was until i showed him, the current generation thinks the games of today are actually good. When in actuality they are mostly graphics and tech, with no actual substance.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Originally posted by jesteralways
    I am gonna wait for landmark, will see how much SOE ask for it. then i will wait for the "original" storybricks. what i got from talking to the storybricks developers is that they will release their own product in 2014. is worth waiting a bit longer for storybricks. 

At one of the panels, they indicated Landmark will be released for free.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

From a "quality" standpoint, the difference between EQ2 graphics and WoW graphics is that EQ2 graphics look dated after 9 years while WoW graphics have looked dated for 9 years.

Do EQ2 graphics have their issues?  Sure, lots.  They're poorly optimized the humanoid models have a bit of a plastic feel to them.   But I can't imagine that too many people would look at the two kerra images below (EQ2 and EQN) and honestly say that the EQN one is in any way superior (despite being 10 years newer):

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The only thing I don't like is the look of the Kerran. It's just way to out there and ridiculous looking. The other character models look fine to me though and the graphics I thought were gorgeous otherwise. 

Smile

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by arieste

From a "quality" standpoint, the difference between EQ2 graphics and WoW graphics is that EQ2 graphics look dated after 9 years while WoW graphics have looked dated for 9 years.

Do EQ2 graphics have their issues?  Sure, lots.  They're poorly optimized the humanoid models have a bit of a plastic feel to them.   But I can't imagine that too many people would look at the two kerra images below (EQ2 and EQN) and honestly say that the EQN one is in any way superior (despite being 10 years newer):

I love you sig. 

I watched all the eqnext stuff via twich tv since I could not go to soe live.  I was sick to my stomach when I saw how stupid they made the kerra look.  I felt like I was looking at Toney the tiger, uggg.

I have this to say most of the folks that are in my eq2 guild have deep concerns about eqnext.  Several of them have outright said they would not play it.  Others are worried about the 8 button combat, others worried about no raids.

One thing we all agreed on.  EQnext will be it's on game. I don't think they intended EQ1, and EQ2 to feed into EQNEXT as they are aiming at totaly different agge ranges and play styles. 

What a shame. They should go ahead an pull the project now.  To many times we seen games that try to be all things to all people and fail on all accounts. 

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Well just not kerra..I had high hopes of EQN until the videos came and BAM.WoD save us.

beLIEve

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

I believe you've missed the subtext of <Everquest NEXT> here is a clue it's not titled <Everquest CLONE>.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Why people keep saying that WoW Art-Style aged better than EQ2?

EQ2 graphics are awesome, problem is that in 2013 still few PC can run it at Max detail (and that's also one of the reason why EQ2 has never been that popular)

That's an EQ2 Warrior

WoW Warrior

It takes a blind man to say that WoW Warrior looks better than EQ2.....................

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by ste2000

Why people keep saying that WoW Art-Style aged better than EQ2?

EQ2 graphics are awesome, problem is that in 2013 still few PC can run it at Max detail (and that's also one of the reason why EQ2 has never been that popular)

That's an EQ2 Warrior

WoW Warrior

It takes a blind man to say that WoW Warrior looks better than EQ2.....................

now show us the EQ2 warrior without the helm, zoom in on the face :)

realistic art style

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Nice article

I think you're right about the soul of the game; I bet EQ is in there but they didn't talk enough about the game yet.

I hope you're right about the Kerran avatar. It would also be nice if they reworked the Firiona avatar -- the audience was in shocked silence when she was revealed.

The "soul of EQ" means different things to different people. For me it was the music, the huge zones, how difficult and long it was to level up, not wanting to die due to the corpse retrieval system, joining spawn-camping groups as the only efficient way to level up and get some loot drops, the two hour buffs or ports you would buy in social hubs, and a lot of mystery and secrecy with the rare-spawn camping for the really nice loot drops.