Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQ landmark a game?

keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I was wondering is EQ landmark a actual game or just a set of tools like a paint package where we can create stuff but not actually do anything with them unless we port it to another package and in this case EQN.

Will we get to lvl up skills or fight mobs or gather mats ect.?

Is there even exploring in this programe ?

Do we even have a avatar or can we create our toon?

I wonder is this just another way to keep us interested in EQN while they build it.

Comments

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by keenber

I was wondering is EQ landmark a actual game or just a set of tools like a paint package where we can create stuff but not actually do anything with them unless we port it to another package and in this case EQN.

I wonder is this just another way to keep us interested in EQN while they build it.

They said you would have to gather the mats but I don't know if there are any mobs to fight.

If nothing else it should give us an idea of the system requirements.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's actually a game, all its own. In fact, they're even calling it an MMO.  We're toying with the idea of giving it its own listing here.  It won't have all of the same features as EQN at launch (classes, combat, the AI, rally calls) and instead will be more like the Wild West where you just go explore and build.  It'll be interesting to see what gets added to Landmark over the months leading up to EQN's launch.  Because chances are that Landmark will serve as a sort of beta for EQN, and then when the latter releases... what happens to Landmark?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    It's actually a game, all its own. In fact, they're even calling it an MMO.  We're toying with the idea of giving it its own listing here. 

even if it doesnt get its own listing - it would be helpful to have its own subforum in EQNext

to the op, an overview about Landmark

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

if i remember right, we get same tools as devs. so we can build what they can:)

• The tools that will be available are "player facing" meaning that developers and builders use exactly the same software for creation. There are no hidden "developer only" mechanics involved.
  • keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

found this which answers most of what i was wondering.

• Build Anything — Create and build anything you can imagine. With Landmark's state of the art tools, you have unprecedented control over your creations. A range of materials with realistic physics means how you build makes a difference.
    • Explore — Explore massive Landmark worlds and claim territory, building materials and much more. Delve deep into the earth and discover procedurally—generated adventures that will never be the same twice!
    • Make Your Mark — The best buildings players create will become part of Norrath — the EverQuest Next world — FOREVER! We'll run exclusive contests to design parts of the world AND our designers will keep an eye out for the coolest fortresses, castles, caves, treehouses, fireplaces – anything awesome that fits within the world of Norrath.
    • Collect — The rarest resources, objects, gear, character customizations and secrets are scattered across the worlds of Landmark! Can you find everything?
    • Earn Money — Buy and sell items in Player Studio, SOE's marketplace for player-created goods. Design, create and sell items and earn real world cash on every purchase! Click here for more details on Player Studio

I for one would love to see this listed in MMORPG so i can keep track of whats happening.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

To me, Landmark appears to be nothing more than a voxel-based 3D modelling software tool with a very loose 'game' wrapped around it.

What happens if the best artists / sculptors can't get access to the best (rare) resources inside Landmark because they don't have the time to gather them or someone else harvested them all earlier?   I get the impression that the community might be asking a modern Picasso to harvest his own pigments and make his own paints when they could be creating more artwork.   In the end, will the competition in EQ:NL hamper the artistic qualities of EQ:N?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    It's actually a game, all its own. In fact, they're even calling it an MMO.  We're toying with the idea of giving it its own listing here.  It won't have all of the same features as EQN at launch (classes, combat, the AI, rally calls) and instead will be more like the Wild West where you just go explore and build.  It'll be interesting to see what gets added to Landmark over the months leading up to EQN's launch.  Because chances are that Landmark will serve as a sort of beta for EQN, and then when the latter releases... what happens to Landmark?

Landmark also seems to be a way to filter out player created content that will be added to EQN.

As I said in a couple of other threads, if they allowed building directly in EQN, you'll end with a world full of non-fitting architecture (look mom, my house in EQN looks like the USS Enterprise! How cool!) and the usual childish and stupid stuff people come up with when anonymous on the net and able to annoy others, like dick shaped towers and vagina shaped doors...

So I don't see EQ Landmark disappearing once EQN is released. It will remain the building tool.

I take an offense to the term "dick shaped" please retract that statement

Thanks

Robert

lol ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Landmark is a way of saying "this game is two years off", IMO.

So, until then...what?  ArcheAge?   WOD?  Emulators maybe?  Gosh, I wish Earth and Beyond was still available.

Kingdom Rush!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    the little ive heard about EQ Landmark sounds to me like a more in depth version of Neverwinters foundry.

Originally posted by Kiyoris
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Landmark is a way of saying "this game is two years off", IMO.

So, until then...what?  ArcheAge?   WOD?  Emulators maybe?  Gosh, I wish Earth and Beyond was still available.

Kingdom Rush!

Talisman digital is looking for beta testers

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/21823/app-news-talisman-testing-huge-gmt-update-twilight

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Minecraft set in Norrath =-) What more could you ask for in a game? @Bill: I can see EQL sticking around after launch if the help they get from the community is quality. Heck getting art for free has to be worth something to them and also the way it would endear people to the game knowing they had part in building it.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

"Landmark will have other aspects of MMOs like adventuring, guilds, and such."

Do we get to fight mobs? Will there be wildlife? What exactly does adventuring mean???

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'd like to make a point here.

There have been some indy sandbox games that released, which had gameplay problems related to not having "a game" in their game.

Most notably for me is Xsyon, as an example.  Setting aside the game's bug and ludicrously slow development, it was actually pretty neat to get in there and really get that sandbox feeling.  People jumped in, got together in groups and started building their settlements.  I immediately began feeling something like those old Star Wars Galaxies community feelings.

The trouble was, PvE and PvP was almost completely missing.  Though you could fight with people and a few creatures, there largely was no reason to do so other than to gank / loot. In short, there was no game in the game.  After a short time, Xsyon just felt like a building simulator and lacked in areas that gave people a reason to keep playing.

I'm hoping they at least add PvE (or PvE / PvP as a server option) to Landmark, otherwise it's going to just be a big building area with no reason to spend time there other than making stuff.  From a pure experimental aspect, I would like to see some PvE/combat added to it just to see what kind of player-driven gameplay emerges on the servers.  I don't think it would take much away from EQN, but why not allow a niche market to emerge there?  

If not, that's fine too. I'm looking forward to building stuff and playing EQN proper anyway.  I just don't think I would call Landmark a game yet.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• tedgptedgp Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Mendel

To me, Landmark appears to be nothing more than a voxel-based 3D modelling software tool with a very loose 'game' wrapped around it.

What happens if the best artists / sculptors can't get access to the best (rare) resources inside Landmark because they don't have the time to gather them or someone else harvested them all earlier?   I get the impression that the community might be asking a modern Picasso to harvest his own pigments and make his own paints when they could be creating more artwork.   In the end, will the competition in EQ:NL hamper the artistic qualities of EQ:N?

Resources are infinite in landmark. Otherwise the entire 'game' would be completely pointless.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
     In fact, they're even calling it an MMO. 

They are?

I was curious about that part.  I noticed that on their website, they don't call it an MMO on the FAQ for Landmark.

"EverQuest Next Landmark is a Free to Play, next-generation online sandbox game. Build and explore a world unlike anything you've seen before."

link:

https://www.everquestnext.com/landmark-faq#landmarktop

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Tokken
    "Landmark will have other aspects of MMOs like adventuring, guilds, and such."Do we get to fight mobs? Will there be wildlife? What exactly does adventuring mean???

This is what I want to know. I really enjoy playing Minecraft in survival mode, not so much in creative mode. If Landmark has something akin to Minecraft's survival mode, I would be a pretty happy person.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Tokken
    "Landmark will have other aspects of MMOs like adventuring, guilds, and such."

Do we get to fight mobs? Will there be wildlife? What exactly does adventuring mean???

This is what I want to know. I really enjoy playing Minecraft in survival mode, not so much in creative mode. If Landmark has something akin to Minecraft's survival mode, I would be a pretty happy person.

massively is who reported adventuring - from talking directly to Georgeson

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50
    I'm not sure I get it really... Some say it's the same tool as developers use to create real estate but then someone says we have to find the resources needed before we can build and I'm quite sure developers won't need that.

Also, is it for buildings only? Or also other things like items? I'm confused...
    Originally posted by Bacchira
     I'm confused...

its not you

its Georgeson making vague claims like "adventuring"  image

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I'm not sure I get it really... Some say it's the same tool as developers use to create real estate but then someone says we have to find the resources needed before we can build and I'm quite sure developers won't need that.

Also, is it for buildings only? Or also other things like items? I'm confused...

Resource gathering is the only gameplay element in Landmark, from what we know so far.  You will have to go out and explore to get resources.  So far it doesn't sound like there is any PvE though, so that's going to make exploring a pretty flat experience. Who knows though.  We'll have to wait until there are more details to get a clear picture.  For now just picture an advanced multiplayer minecraft on SOE hosted servers.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

so it has no PvE?

Also if Landmark is different game than EQN world, than how is EQN a Sandbox?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    so it has no PvE?

It has no combat at launch. Combat != PvE, although it's usually a major part of it.

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Also if Landmark is different game than EQN world, than how is EQN a Sandbox?

Some of the building features in EQNL will also be in EQN, especially re: housing and such. But I'm not sure why anyone would ask this question if they'd played any sandbox games other than Minecraft. SWG didn't have these kinds of tools, for example, except with regard to housing, and folks stil hold that up as a model sandbox MMORPG.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by keenber

You can watch the guy build stuff in the video.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Nadia
     I'm confused...

its not you

its Georgeson making vague claims like "adventuring"  image

Less confused after reading this thread, though still not really clear what will be on offer. Sounds like a massive technology test almost.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    SOE being SOE, I'm wondering what FTP restrictions are going to be included with Landmark.