Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: On Guilds, Being Emperor, and Much More

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last weekend's QuakeCon, we had boots on the ground to check out the latest build for Elder Scrolls Online. While there, we also managed to corral Lead Game Play Designer Nick Konkle to talk about all sorts of interesting topics. See what he had to say before heading to the comments to chat.

MMORPG: Speaking of items, would you say the most powerful equipment in the game is crafted or looted?

NK: End game crafted items are on par with end game looted items. But that’s just looking at the base weapon. Looted items can still be ‘improved’ and enchanted by the crafters. Crafters will always be very busy and in demand.

Read more of Richard Cox's Elder Scrolls Online: On Guilds, Being Emperor, and Much More.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    This sounds excellent! Great interview! I'm really looking forward to this game, particularly for the crafting and PvP.
  • GothiccanGothiccan Member Posts: 1
    Very much looking forward to this game, but the multiple guild thing is a rubbish idea. This was done in GW2, and it was nothing but a pain in the neck for our guild. I understand the benefits desired in this approach, but the unintended consequences made it undesirable for our guild leaders. Can't stress it enough...horrible idea. We are trying to build cohesive guilds with focused and dedicated members, not willy-nilly Facebook "communities" with divided attention and loyalties.
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I agree with Gothiccan, multiple guild idea was terrible in GW2 and will also fail in ESO.

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by Gothiccan
    We are trying to build cohesive guilds with focused and dedicated members, not willy-nilly Facebook "communities" with divided attention and loyalties.

well to bad for your guild but maybe not everyone are hardcore, I think its a great idea, now I can be in a casual no worries do nothing guild with local firends just for fun and at the same time be more serius in another....

or you could just choose to be in just ONE Guild, whats wrong with more options for players?

Anyway, cant wait for this game, Limited Collectors Edition, where art thou!?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    I agree with Gothiccan, multiple guild idea was terrible in GW2 and will also fail in ESO.

I'll +2 this but I think it really speaks more to the types of players out there who want a different experience.

There are indeed players who approach guilds as "facebook communities".

And, there are players out there who want dedicated players.

I"m of the latter group. I'd hate to be planning a guild event and have to find out that some of my guildmates are elsewhere, dividing their guild time with other guilds.

Not that this still doesn't happen  but I have usually played with guildmates who were pretty dedicated to the guild and dedicated to making the guild successful.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Hey an actual mention of AvA! But unfortunately it's all about the boring part that every game does: keeps and sieging.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    [mod edit]

[mod edit] As for TESO, it is looking up to be shaping up nicely.

As for keeps and sieges... I honestly wish MMOs would figure out a better way to do this. They are usually something I never do because well, it's boring.

Smile

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Ummmm...rune-crafting?

WTF happened to provisioner aka cook/chef?

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Hey an actual mention of AvA! But unfortunately it's all about the boring part that every game does: keeps and sieging.

The boring part?

As a DAoC vet, I  respectfully disagree..  Keep sieges and taking towers and control points was a blast, and it sounds like they're going to do it once more, with better class/skill systems, new graphics, and the ES lore.. And now that you have to take each factions home keep, it'll be like Reic Raids all over again!

Very, very excited.. On paper.. We'll see how it performs. :D

• DonVadimDonVadim Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Emperor system is pretty cool concept, I guess they based it on Archlord. However, it has to be pretty well thought so organized groups can't "powerlevel" one person to become emperor because if that could happen then it wouldn't be "emperor is the best player" but rather a player who has got the most helpers. Such scenario most likely would also create many griefing opportunities which can lead to whole system being pointless, but if whole thing is designed correctly it will provide huge "carrot on stick" for many players which will greatly increase longevity.
  • OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    They should consider categorizing the guilds by "types." Allow only one membership for a regular guild, then the other four wouldn't be guilds but rather be networks: political (members would be guild leaders of an alliance; trade (as mentioned in the interview); casual (for personal and friendly interactions); etc.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Lol, why would the interviewer mention farming, their is no farming in TESO. Gathering resources like you can do in most mmo is not farming. Age Of Wushu and ArcheAge have farming system which are actual farming system.

Growing crops, TESO does not do this so why make out it does.

Over hype lol.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Personally I like the multiple guilds because in most games I've played, Alliance Channels had to be set up to keep friends together that split for one reason or another and this allows us to circumvent the limitations of a shared channel. Anyway, I love the crafting in Elder Scrolls more than any other game so I'm looking forwarding to getting back to the crafting I ignored in TOR, Rift, and GW2 because it felt meaningless.

I also love the little things they are doing like the feeding of the horses. I will do exactly what others will probably do, two horses, one for travel and one for crafting :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    One of the more informative interviews. Well done Richard.
  • KyvanexKyvanex Member UncommonPosts: 10

Sounds like a blast, can't wait!

Only thing that sucks is that I won't be able to play with my friends that get ps4 and xbone versions... meh.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Just lost all love for this game...players in multiple guilds show that they really don't get the idea and importance of doing things as a guild and it meaning something.  GW2 did this and it was retarded....how loyal is a clanny that has 4 other clans...shitty idea.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

Good interview. It shows that ESO, albeit focus on multiplayer experience in general rather then on classic MMORPG style do not forget about massive things. And Emperor's idea is great. Looking forward to it.

Don't know what are you grumbling about, guys. In GW2 I represent only one guild - mine, no jumping. If members of a guild tend to share more then one guild it is not system's problem. And their system is slightly different. You remember that there is no auction house in ESO, right? So Merchants' Guild - for example - will be just that: a guild where you can buy quality stuff from dedicated crafters. It makes market dynamic different altogether without harming it. Lineage II - style vendors are too much of a bore, it will be hard to find what you want.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Very much looking forward to this game, but the multiple guild thing is a rubbish idea. This was done in GW2, and it was nothing but a pain in the neck for our guild. I understand the benefits desired in this approach, but the unintended consequences made it undesirable for our guild leaders. Can't stress it enough...horrible idea. We are trying to build cohesive guilds with focused and dedicated members, not willy-nilly Facebook "communities" with divided attention and loyalties.

I agree

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol, why would the interviewer mention farming, their is no farming in TESO. Gathering resources like you can do in most mmo is not farming. Age Of Wushu and ArcheAge have farming system which are actual farming system.

Growing crops, TESO does not do this so why make out it does.

Over hype lol.

We started using the term 10 years ago in EQ. We were farming mobs/loot.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

"Finally we have what we’re calling the Guild Store. It functions a lot like an auction house or automated self merchant system."

First time I saw a mention of the "automated self merchant system".  Did I sleep through an interview and miss this being mentioned somewhere?

Also... there was no "Rune Crafting" system in the other ES games and I never heard of this before today.  Is this something else I may have slept through?

Overall... nice interview and gave us a bit more meat on the bone to chew on.

Ratero.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by Coldren
    Originally posted by meddyck

The boring part?

As a DAoC vet, I  respectfully disagree..  Keep sieges and taking towers and control points was a blast, and it sounds like they're going to do it once more, with better class/skill systems, new graphics, and the ES lore.. And now that you have to take each factions home keep, it'll be like Reic Raids all over again!

Very, very excited.. On paper.. We'll see how it performs. :D

Keep sieges in DAoC were fun. I honestly can not wait for this game I like the ES lore and game world.

I am not sold on the multi-guild function though as I think it will do more harm than good. Not played GW2 as I never fell for the hype, so I can't comment on the system.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Sounds like GW2.

Rather wait for Everquest Next which has new stuff and its own ideas

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

"MMORPG: Let’s go hardware for a little bit. Talk to us about the differences between the PC version and the console versions. What have you had to change about the game to put it on consoles? Are they connected?

NK: There really isn’t any difference at all except each is on their own server. It’s the same game across the board. They’re just separated. The PC players will play on their server, the Xbox One players on theirs and the PS4 players on their own. It’ll be the exact same game, just separate servers."

Well that sucks I was hoping we would all be playing on the same servers I bet its Microsoft and their anti-cross platform multiplayer, in regards to the Xbox, that is the cause. I was hopping it would be like FF XIV where not only do the Playstation and PC gamers play on the same servers but you can freely switch between which system you currently want to play your account on.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I agree

And I also agree wholeheartedly.

This multiple guild membership and the possibility of a player named "iKillusucka" as emperor, even for 1 minute, are the two things I dislike about this game. They both seem gimmicky to me and would appeal to exactly the sort of person I would rather go play a different game.

Otherwise...looking good.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

If you can't deal with multi-guilding, you are not a good guild leader.  It has far more benefits than negatives.

Want 100% rep of your guild?  Make it clear when people join, and kick anyone how doesn't.  Easy.  If your guild is good enough, it won't be a problem.

If you want to have Alliances, Ambassadors, part-time members etc., then institute ranks at all these levels.  Higher ranks are core members who get better rewards.

Social guilding is the future, as is technologies like the Mega-server.  The rest is griping for the past.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius