Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modern Game With Original EQ Qualities?

2»

Comments

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

EQMac. The Al'Kabor server. Planes of Power was and is the last expansion to be applied to the servers. The game is literally stuck in time at 2003. You can run with Luclin graphics and the Velious UI, so it has the 'newer' EQ graphics.

You can run it on a PC even, just google EQMac on PC and there are detailed instruction on how to run it. Doesn't take much to get it running.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Agnostic wins post of the thread! I forgot about Al Kabor. Go there. (although it has PoP), it is closer to original EQ than any other game or emulator.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Originally posted by Arclan VG was wowified prior to launch and does not resemble EQ at all. Play it if you like but don't expect an EQ like leveling experience. Over the years I've seen posters describe a few games that sound worthwhile and provide an eq like experience, but I can't remember what they are. If you want to search through my posts (about a few months ago), feel free. Someone mentioned Rift and FFXI. That might be them. Can't recall. Good luck.
    I've played Vanguard since beta up to now and it was not WOWified before launch, total rubbish you are talking lol.

The quest hubs were put in prior to launch, no? And the death penalties were lowered, and quest xp + rewards were bumped up. Add in quest compass and the like and bingo you have WoW. What rubbish are you talking about? VG does not resemble EQ AT ALL. Plus the classes are completely different.

You (or the OP) can google the matter and see for yourselves. I can't be bothered.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Arclan

Agnostic wins post of the thread! I forgot about Al Kabor. Go there. (although it has PoP), it is closer to original EQ than any other game or emulator.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Originally posted by Arclan VG was wowified prior to launch and does not resemble EQ at all. Play it if you like but don't expect an EQ like leveling experience. Over the years I've seen posters describe a few games that sound worthwhile and provide an eq like experience, but I can't remember what they are. If you want to search through my posts (about a few months ago), feel free. Someone mentioned Rift and FFXI. That might be them. Can't recall. Good luck.
    I've played Vanguard since beta up to now and it was not WOWified before launch, total rubbish you are talking lol.

The quest hubs were put in prior to launch, no? And the death penalties were lowered, and quest xp + rewards were bumped up. Add in quest compass and the like and bingo you have WoW. What rubbish are you talking about? VG does not resemble EQ AT ALL. Plus the classes are completely different.

You (or the OP) can google the matter and see for themselves. I'm kinda busy.

What you call rubbish, others call fun, interesting, a nice experience, etc etc.

Have you considered applying for the Mars One team?

• xyagentguyxyagentguy Member Posts: 78
    Did someone really say TSW?  ROFL.  That is completely NOT what this person is looking for.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by Vigg

Hmm.  Is there anyone left in VG to group with?

Yes people play. I was in Vanguard 2 nights ago and there were people calling for group in chat.

It's not a heavily populated game but it does have a die hard fan base.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

O.P., permit me to compare EQ to VG. You might like VG but it isn't EQ.

Typical EQ day: Log on, look around for things to do. Maybe ask a friend where they are and travel to join them.

Typical Vanguard day: Log on, head to quest hub. Load up all the quests with one-click (and don't bother reading the voluminous quest details). Pull up journal, and look for the blue indicator on your compass. Point in that direction and press forward. Finish quest, go back to quest hub and get ZOUNDS of XP and some NICE loot. Rinse repeat until you get sick of it in a month and found that you made few, if any, friends.

Lots more examples of how Vanguard gameplay is so different from EQ as to make a comparison silly.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

Vanguard is still just about the closest to old EQ you'll get. It's true that the population is on the smaller side, and it can take a little bit of effort to get into it, but it really does offer a lot.

Sure, it's not like it's the exact same as EQ, only similar like intended. Unfortunately, it did get softened up somewhat when f2p happened compared to what is used to be; something I was not particularly happy about. The exp rate got bumped up, and exp potions are readily available to speed it up further, though at least those are optional. There are some quest hubs with a bunch of quests mainly designed to help soloers and a lot more nice lower level gear, but many of the real important story-driven chain type quests are extensive and do not use the compass, and you miss most of the fun playing that way anyway.

If you want to really see what VG is all about you need to explore and to group up and go dungeon diving. It's all open world and the game has some of the best areas and dungeons scattered all over for you to discover. There are zero instances, and the world is huge. There are cool things hidden everywhere. Unfortunately the combination of a huge world and a smaller pop can lead to trouble with communication, but trust me there are people playing to group with.

The raids at the high end are plentiful, Ancient Port Warehouse is the best raid dungeon I've ever seen, there are a lot of overland type raids like wandering giants and things around the world, and Cave of Wonders is being released soon which is another big raid dungeon. Raids are 24-man.