Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQNext the first true GW2 clone?

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

It seems to expand on GW2, which should make it a true competitor to GW2, forcing both EQN and GW2 to innovate to out-do one another.

My only issue is F2P atm, but besides that, I plan on making EQN and GW2 my games based on what I've seen thus far.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by elocke

Seems that way to me.  8 skills, 4 of them based on your weapon of choice.  Action Combat and dodging.  Dynamic content.  No real progression other than unlocking skills.  No sub fee.  Sure, it's taking the living world to the next step, with destructible terrain which can be good or bad. 

A response is being prepared to address this.

From Dave Georgeson's Twitter

Cool, keep us informed on this important stuff, since I don't do twitter and facebook and g+ and whatever else there is.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    This thread is a clone of other clone threads.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Seems that way to me.  8 skills, 4 of them based on your weapon of choice.  Action Combat and dodging.  Dynamic content.  No real progression other than unlocking skills.  No sub fee.  Sure, it's taking the living world to the next step, with destructible terrain which can be good or bad. 

A response is being prepared to address this.

From Dave Georgeson's Twitter

Fair enough, but if you notice, he says "surface similarity" and to be honest, all we've seen IS the surface.  So my conjecture at this point is founded, at least on the surface ;P, by current evidence.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Kuppa

hehehe I love it when people start to add PR bullet points to their list of "new" features.

Constantly evolving world based on player actions??? cmon, can't get more PR bs than that. Probably every mmo out there has that in their list of "features". Doesn't really mean anything when it comes down to it.

I have played EQ2, and I know exactly what they mean when they said this bullet point, and I have participated in them. In EQ2, there would be certain events that required the entire server participation to advance... even in EQ1 they had this, which was Waking up Kerafyrm. Once it was done, the event was over, and the world was changed forever... if it wasn't done, as what happened with some servers with Kerafyrm, the world never advanced to that stage.

Players DID have the ability to change the world, and I suspect they are doing the same thing in EQN, only at a much bigger scale, and with these "events" hidden inside the game. The first of these events, however, that has already been announced, and is expected to last a few months from launch, is the building of the initial player cities.

That is right... instead of them MAKING the starting city for you, you get to go out and make it. How this all plays out is yet to be seen, but since no 2 servers will be alike, or progress the same way, you better believe this is different than GW2, where you could change servers, and everything was exactly the same, but with different player names.

Just because you do not like a particular game doesn't mean you have to be on a crusade to make it seem more like a game that you do like, just to justify why so many people see it better than the game you do enjoy.

You got one thing right though: I do not like GW2. Never did like it, because it was too PvP focused, without any real progression once you reached max level. It was a game with a disguised lifetime membership, that they played off as a "buy once, play forever" farce. Had the box been physically sold, and been at the same prices as other MMOs, then I might have swallowed it, but since their vast mayority of sales were digital, where they had no out of pocket expenses, and people payed close to $70.00 or more, I still see it as a cheap lifetime membership, with a cash shop tacked on.

I admit my leanings... now will you fess up to yours? Why are you really hating on this game?

Originally posted by Arkain

To me, that system seems closer to The Secret World.

Ah, good point.  Yeah it does seem like TSW.  TSW is fairly close to being like GW2 though, so maybe it too is a GW2 clone or is GW2 a TSW clone? Lol.  All part and parcel of the same game type, basically.  It's definitely not "traditional".

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Sephastus

Does GW2 have any of the following:

Fully Destroyable envioroment?

No Levels?

Unlockable Classes through quests that each have skills attached to them?

3 dimentional layered gameworld generated on the fly (ability to break the floor and drop into a randomly generated dungeon, which can be nested)

Randomly generated quests with no quest markers or help screen... just NPC chat.

Constantly evolving world based on player Action (s) or inaction.

Real world player/guild housing.

If the only thing that you can think of that looks SIMILAR to GW2 is weapon swapping, then you are trying way too hard to make these completely different games, similar. Many action games before GW2 had "red circle" dodging mechanics as well, does that make GW2 a close of those games? Other games had active dodging, like Tera, does that make GW2 a Tera clone?

Some people are trying really hard to make these 2 really dis-similar games match, when obviously they are exaggeratedly different.

^please moar rational thought. it makes the oldtimers nervous and really, really angry.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    ((eye roll)) Just what we need a 8897768796 thread on the same topic thats not based on fact. You know the saying about when you assume? Come on people, we need 87 more thread on this topic by the end of the day, stop slacking!!!!!

It's not like I've read every single post on this or other forums to come to your conclusion.  Personally, I hadn't seen anyone mention it.  I won't lie, I'm not overly fond of EQNext's design because it reminds me of GW2, a game that on paper sounded phenomenal but in practice left me wanting after a solid month of play.  I just don't want EQNext or any game for that matter to make the same mistakes due to design decisions.

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

Re GW2 comparisons: The Director of Development for Everquest Next tweeted the following on August 5:

David Georgeson ‏@TaliskerDev We'll prep a response soon. Too detailed for twitter. Try to resist compare to GW2. Surface similarity.

I'm waiting for more information. At least I've heard that rally calls don't repeat, and that they last months.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

After reading some intriguing responses, I've noticed that EQNext is very similar to TSW as well, perhaps more so than GW2.  Either way, it seems to be a "new" subsect of the MMO genre, moving away from "traditional" gameplay.  Which is fine, as it appears there are tons of gamers who fit into that niche just fine.  Just don't discount us "traditional" MMO gamers as not having opinions that count, as I think we do. 

Is nothing like GW2 or TSW. 

Originally posted by hikaru77

After reading some intriguing responses, I've noticed that EQNext is very similar to TSW as well, perhaps more so than GW2.  Either way, it seems to be a "new" subsect of the MMO genre, moving away from "traditional" gameplay.  Which is fine, as it appears there are tons of gamers who fit into that niche just fine.  Just don't discount us "traditional" MMO gamers as not having opinions that count, as I think we do. 

Is nothing like GW2 or TSW. 

Wow...that was informative.

• KamikazeKiteKamikazeKite Member Posts: 38
    Just shut up about the clone thing already. Some kid fancied using that term once now everyone thinks everything is a god damn clone. 
  • matixzunmatixzun Member Posts: 24
    I think the biggest difference is that EQN is a sandbox, the content and the world is truly dynamic, changing based on players's actions, instead of just a disguised old themepark without quest-givers, I think the only think that is truly similar is certain aspects of combat (A lot of which are exaggerated as copied, when there are key differences. That leads me to think that there are 3 kinds of people that say its a GW2 clone: The first are the GW2 fans, The second are those who haven't been informed properly (those are the only I think are understandable, there are lots of things to know), and the last one are the good ol' SOE haters who are butthurt.
  • MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by matixzun
    I think the biggest difference is that EQN is a sandbox, the content and the world is truly dynamic, changing based on players's actions, instead of just a disguised old themepark without quest-givers, I think the only think that is truly similar is certain aspects of combat (A lot of which are exaggerated as copied, when there are key differences. That leads me to think that there are 3 kinds of people that say its a GW2 clone: The first are the GW2 fans, The second are those who haven't been informed properly (those are the only I think are understandable, there are lots of things to know), and the last one are the good ol' SOE haters who are butthurt.

The ones defending the system fall into the category who blindly believe SOE's claim that their AI is so much more advanced than all the other games, and that the SOE devs are so much more experienced than their competition.

See what I did there?

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224

HAHAHAH NO!

GW2                                                                            EQN

10 skills                                                                     8 skills

Dynamic Events (last about a few minutes)      Rallying Calls (last too a bout a few months)

No destructibility                                                     Destructibility 

Leveling                                                                   No Leveling

8 classes                                                                 40 classes

One world layer                                                       Many world layers  

Instances                                                                 No instances (as far as we know)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

While EQN appears to borrow the skill  bar from GW2, I haven't seen much else that leads me to believe it will play like GW2, but until it becomes an actual product we really won't know.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by RizelStar
     I have no clue if its many or not who love the trinity 

Well, all you need to do is talk with people and listen to their opinions and you'll know.  It's not that hard.   

Also, i never quoted any numbers or used the word "majority".   

Although - if you were to compile all the concerns that people have about EQN - i would guess that "Disney Graphics" and "GW2 / Trinity-less combat" would be the top two concerns.

For example, here is a fairly well-phrased poll of 140 totally random MMORPG members:   http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5885463#5885463        Almost 70% would prefer to have defined roles.  Is that "many"?  Well, it's more than not.   

When I first logged onto the TwitchTV Reveal LiveCast, there were 127,000 people watching.  I heard that number increased substantially shortly thereafter. 

98 people (of your 140) saying something is not even marginally significant.  Consider also who the vocal majority was this last weekend:  the people who were disappointed.  Of course there is going to be bias as well to add discreditation to the small sample.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

... please... please no ignorant "Clone" remarks, specially to a  game that isn't that good at all. WoW clone (which I can give credit to being actually good at one point) was retarded as it was (ignoring EQs existance despite a vast majority of its concepts came from everquest 1). I don't want to hear the stupid remark about a game being a clone again.

If you are going to call games clones like that, then I expect you call all cars clones of one another, and human beings must also all be clones by that same logic.

• ManakarManakar Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by velmax

HAHAHAH NO!

GW2                                                                            EQN

10 skills                                                                     8 skills

Dynamic Events (last about a few minutes)      Rallying Calls (last too a bout a few months)

No destructibility                                                     Destructibility 

Leveling                                                                   No Leveling

8 classes                                                                 40 classes

One world layer                                                       Many world layers  

Instances                                                                 No instances (as far as we know)

GW2 has weapon swapping on the fly which gives you 5 more skills... So that would be 15 skills.. Also GW2 has underground areas and in the sky areas..

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Manakar

HAHAHAH NO!

GW2 has weapon swapping on the fly which gives you 5 more skills... So that would be 15 skills.. Also GW2 has underground areas and in the sky areas..

EQN's Areas are dynamically generated, and the quest system is also dynamic... is GW2 like that?

The poster's point was that EQN and GW2 are different, and you did nothing to contradict that, you just attempted to show "this has more, and these areas, while static, also exist." GW2 is still a one layer world. Having a dungeon dynamically generated under you, and then another one, and then another one ad-nauseum, is VERY different from having dungeons that are pre-rendered, regardless if these are underground, or above.

• ManakarManakar Member UncommonPosts: 110

HAHAHAH NO!

EQN's Areas are dynamically generated, and the quest system is also dynamic... is GW2 like that?

The poster's point was that EQN and GW2 are different, and you did nothing to contradict that, you just attempted to show "this has more, and these areas, while static, also exist." GW2 is still a one layer world. Having a dungeon dynamically generated under you, and then another one, and then another one ad-nauseum, is VERY different from having dungeons that are pre-rendered, regardless if these are underground, or above.

I wasn't trying to contradict anything.. The points I made were the points I wanted to make... Nothing more or less..

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Kuppa

hehehe I love it when people start to add PR bullet points to their list of "new" features.

Constantly evolving world based on player actions??? cmon, can't get more PR bs than that. Probably every mmo out there has that in their list of "features". Doesn't really mean anything when it comes down to it.

I have played EQ2, and I know exactly what they mean when they said this bullet point, and I have participated in them. In EQ2, there would be certain events that required the entire server participation to advance... even in EQ1 they had this, which was Waking up Kerafyrm. Once it was done, the event was over, and the world was changed forever... if it wasn't done, as what happened with some servers with Kerafyrm, the world never advanced to that stage.

Players DID have the ability to change the world, and I suspect they are doing the same thing in EQN, only at a much bigger scale, and with these "events" hidden inside the game. The first of these events, however, that has already been announced, and is expected to last a few months from launch, is the building of the initial player cities.

That is right... instead of them MAKING the starting city for you, you get to go out and make it. How this all plays out is yet to be seen, but since no 2 servers will be alike, or progress the same way, you better believe this is different than GW2, where you could change servers, and everything was exactly the same, but with different player names.

Just because you do not like a particular game doesn't mean you have to be on a crusade to make it seem more like a game that you do like, just to justify why so many people see it better than the game you do enjoy.

You got one thing right though: I do not like GW2. Never did like it, because it was too PvP focused, without any real progression once you reached max level. It was a game with a disguised lifetime membership, that they played off as a "buy once, play forever" farce. Had the box been physically sold, and been at the same prices as other MMOs, then I might have swallowed it, but since their vast mayority of sales were digital, where they had no out of pocket expenses, and people payed close to $70.00 or more, I still see it as a cheap lifetime membership, with a cash shop tacked on.

I admit my leanings... now will you fess up to yours? Why are you really hating on this game?

I'm not hating on the game. I do not like exaggerated comments and state-as-a-fact statements when the game is nowhere near release and no one can say those ideas will translate into something good. Just trying to calm down the people that are too high before they get slapped by reality. It happens in every mmo.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

HAHAHAH NO!

Be careful using the word "dynamic" until release, it means nothing...

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    There are some slight similarities but if you look at the total game the two, in theory, are nothing alike. MMOs are made up of so many aspects taking one or two and making a comparison doesn't say much.

This subject has been brought up already in a few threads and good information on the differences has been posted. I'd look at some of those since they are pretty fresh still :)
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

GW2 has 10 skill slots plus quick switching on weapon (between 2 weapon sets) skills giving you 5 move skills on the fly..  

15 skills > 8 skills

Yea but you dont know if the next batch of info they give us might reveal that you could swap sets of skills in this game too.